Breakthroughs (original supers / freeform ) [RECRUITMENT]

Started by Lyrical, June 13, 2020, 08:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sarita on June 19, 2020, 09:38:59 AM
Sure. I'm good with that.

The primary thing here is that all the Breakthroughs are volunteering to do this. No one is being forced. The characters have to have a genuine desire to be on the good side.

She’d still like a pardon. :). I’m sure the media would LOVE her family history. I could see it, Sean Hannity talking about a trading of militant ’lesbian counterculture going back a century.’ Given how the women of her family disdained marriage and such. LoL

Of course I can also see her stepping forward to avoid folks like the CIA

TheBlackThrone

My character would not have willing reported himself, so the thought gave me an idea to make a DVA character who investigates the appearances of Breakthroughs, confronts them with the evidence, and gives them the option to register with the DVA or...I don't know what the consequence is for not registering.

But the history thing, I am going to assume you just want that to develop in-game. And the connections are just connections. You say enter the DVA team with someone they know or have seen before. That doesn't seem difficult but writing a full blown history with someone. That is challenging to do because I still need to feel my character out in game.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

JessLowell12

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on June 19, 2020, 11:33:04 AM
My character would not have willing reported himself, so the thought gave me an idea to make a DVA character who investigates the appearances of Breakthroughs, confronts them with the evidence, and gives them the option to register with the DVA or...I don't know what the consequence is for not registering.

But the history thing, I am going to assume you just want that to develop in-game. And the connections are just connections. You say enter the DVA team with someone they know or have seen before. That doesn't seem difficult but writing a full blown history with someone. That is challenging to do because I still need to feel my character out in game.

Would he have volunteered his efforts to work on a team though? Or would your character had to have been cajoled to do so?

I think the idea is to have a connection with someone on the team, not necessarily a deep personal connection, but a connection none the less.

I mean Maya knows Tara, but its not this superbly deep connection. But Nora, the person Maya is paired with, is her niece and that is a pretty deep connection.

Callie Del Noire

I could see it.  Maybe one person knew another thru a place (favorite restaurant), or a cause (batttered women) or maybe one flirted with another at that club that one time and wound up casual friends?

Or given the setting they both met at the same crime accident or whatever.

keyotess

Generally I like to feel out my character as I play them.  But while I have been discussing shared history between Tara and Kyrstal, I have discovered background things that I would not have thought of myself.  Two big examples are that Tara does Vertical Fitness (pole dancing) and that she likes swing dancing.  Two things that were not on my radar until it was suggested by Elayne.  The discussion of history has become a way to delve into my character before we start playing.
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: keyotess on June 19, 2020, 12:05:43 PM
Generally I like to feel out my character as I play them.  But while I have been discussing shared history between Tara and Kyrstal, I have discovered background things that I would not have thought of myself.  Two big examples are that Tara does Vertical Fitness (pole dancing) and that she likes swing dancing.  Two things that were not on my radar until it was suggested by Elayne.  The discussion of history has become a way to delve into my character before we start playing.

Yeah.  Forgot about the Gym!  Parkour girl would be a wall climbing fiend. ;)

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: JessLowell12 on June 19, 2020, 11:45:57 AM
Would he have volunteered his efforts to work on a team though? Or would your character had to have been cajoled to do so?

I think the idea is to have a connection with someone on the team, not necessarily a deep personal connection, but a connection none the less.

I mean Maya knows Tara, but its not this superbly deep connection. But Nora, the person Maya is paired with, is her niece and that is a pretty deep connection.

If he was approached by someone who said, hey we know you have an unusual power and we want you to join a team of similar people to save the world. He wouldn't refuse, but he doesn't feel confident about his abilities. He doesn't really believe he has any because of how mild the situation in his Breakthrough section was. I couldn't make it anymore than that due to power limitations at the initial start of the game.

Thus why I suggested I make a DVA investigator who collects evidence on Breakthroughs and forces them to make a decision. Again, I don't know what the consequence was for not registering. I don't remember if it was ever mentioned.
The gates are open

GhostOfPatches

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on June 19, 2020, 12:51:21 PM
If he was approached by someone who said, hey we know you have an unusual power and we want you to join a team of similar people to save the world. He wouldn't refuse, but he doesn't feel confident about his abilities. He doesn't really believe he has any because of how mild the situation in his Breakthrough section was. I couldn't make it anymore than that due to power limitations at the initial start of the game.

Thus why I suggested I make a DVA investigator who collects evidence on Breakthroughs and forces them to make a decision. Again, I don't know what the consequence was for not registering. I don't remember if it was ever mentioned.

Hmm, it could be that perhaps the restaurant he worked in was under attack and a hero saved them. That way he makes his decision based on a want to pay it forward and maybe to see what trained heroes can do up close. It's also a good way to get his own powers under control and measured, he could be afraid that something new will develop and he'll hurt himself or others around him.

I mean, Nora never saw herself as the hero type but she has a deep respect for her cousin and an intolerance of origin chasers. While things may have started for selfish reasons that doesn't mean they have to stay that way.

PhantomPistoleer

Here's my take on it:

1:  ALL CHARACTERS experience a breakthrough.

2:  NOT ALL CHARACTERS understand that what they experienced was a breakthrough.

2.a:  ALL CHARACTERS must come to an understanding about what has occurred to them.

3:  ALL CHARACTERS need to report their breakthrough to the appropriate authorities.

3.a.  Some characters WILL report their breakthrough immediately.

3.b.  Some characters will hesitate to report their breakthrough immediately.

3.c.  Some characters will absolutely not report their breakthrough immediately.

3.d.  Some characters who do not report their breakthroughs immediately will be discovered simply because someone witnesses them using their powers.

If it helps any, I can have my character be someone who can either HELP other characters understand that they are breakthroughs (scenario 2a), and, also, PUSH characters to report their breakthroughs to DVA (scenarios 3a-d).  Since my character can duplicate, it's nothing really for me to have him be in one particular place while also being in another.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on June 19, 2020, 02:12:53 PM
Here's my take on it:

1:  ALL CHARACTERS experience a breakthrough.

2:  NOT ALL CHARACTERS understand that what they experienced was a breakthrough.

2.a:  ALL CHARACTERS must come to an understanding about what has occurred to them.

3:  ALL CHARACTERS need to report their breakthrough to the appropriate authorities.

3.a.  Some characters WILL report their breakthrough immediately.

3.b.  Some characters will be hesitate to report their breakthrough immediately.

3.c.  Some characters will absolutely not report their breakthrough immediately.

3.d.  Some characters who do not report their breakthroughs immediately will be discovered simply because someone witnesses them using their powers.

If it helps any, I can have my character be someone who can either HELP other characters understand that they are breakthroughs (scenario 2a), and, also, PUSH characters to report their breakthroughs to DVA (scenarios 3a-d).  Since my character can duplicate, it's nothing really for me to have him be in one particular place while also being in another.

Then he (one of him XD) could have been there that day with the car just minding his own business and happened to witness it?
The gates are open

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on June 19, 2020, 02:16:18 PM
Then he (one of him XD) could have been there that day with the car just minding his own business and happened to witness it?

I mean, sure.  The possibilities are endless.  Off the top of my head:

1.  Clique could have been driving the Oldsmobile.
2.  Clique could have been chasing the Oldsmobile.
3.  Clique could have investigated the breakthrough event involving the man who was smashed into by an Oldsmobile and interviewed eyewitnesses to find YC.
4.  Clique could have been already investigating you because your restaurant/bar has ties to the mafia, and he was already tailing you when the breakthrough occurred.

Who knows?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Lyrical

Great discussion happening. Loving the back and forth.

1) The single most important thing is that no one is coerced into joining. There will never be anyone forced to join. It must be a choice made freely by the character.

) We will start the game with all of you coming to the meeting of new Breakthroughs. You will already know why you are coming and again, that choice was made freely by your character.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on June 19, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
I mean, sure.  The possibilities are endless.  Off the top of my head:

1.  Clique could have been driving the Oldsmobile.
2.  Clique could have been chasing the Oldsmobile.
3.  Clique could have investigated the breakthrough event involving the man who was smashed into by an Oldsmobile and interviewed eyewitnesses to find YC.
4.  Clique could have been already investigating you because your restaurant/bar has ties to the mafia, and he was already tailing you when the breakthrough occurred.

Who knows?

Sounds cool. Yeah, I'm pretty open about it too.

Quote from: Sarita on June 19, 2020, 02:28:35 PM
Great discussion happening. Loving the back and forth.

1) The single most important thing is that no one is coerced into joining. There will never be anyone forced to join. It must be a choice made freely by the character.

) We will start the game with all of you coming to the meeting of new Breakthroughs. You will already know why you are coming and again, that choice was made freely by your character.

It's going to feel like a 101 meeting. "Hi, my name's Derrick Ernst (Hi Derrick!), and I guess I'm a breakthrough." XD
The gates are open

Lyrical

Nope, won't be like that at all... but in my head I still think that sounds funny. Like an AA meeting for Breakthroughs.

Juggtacular

Brandon will be convinced to join by his management and parents after beating the gang members nearly to death. It made the news and even though he was cleared of any wrongdoing, itll look good for his image and its a chance to help people. Might alter his story a tad but it'll be mostly the same.

AshJeeves

Hi Yall!, Was just approved!

Alias: (none yet but soon)
Name: Leslie Fisher
Height: Originally 5'5"
Birth Place / Ethnicity: Fort McMurray, Canada. Caucasian.

General Appearance: When you first see Leslie, assuming she’s not eleven feet tall, you’ll see a girl with long, straight, waist-length dark brown hair, she looks her age and has an above-average build, she clearly exercises, if only casually. She tries to look attractive, but she obviously isn’t good at it, some might say she needs to see a stylist ASAP. She has plain blue eyes, a very opaque, dark shade. She has quite a few noticeable freckles, which she is very proud of. She walk’s upright, obviously concerned with her posture, after having back issues as a result of her breakthrough.

Personality Traits:
Leslie is insecure, she doesn’t have any real close friends and is concerned with how people will see her. She just wants someone she knows she can trust, a shoulder to cry on, and to be that shoulder back for them, a friend. She doesn’t rush headfirst into things, she observes and considers all courses of action, but often, she can’t make a decision until the time is up. She believes that the average person, is a wonderful person, and that, maybe she herself isn’t… But, despite this, when she needs to act fast and make the right decision, and believe in herself when she’s needed, she’s as calm as a Buddhist monk. Later that night, she often cries. And drinks. Sometimes there is Ice Cream. Lots of Ice Cream. She also has a strong sense of justice, and can’t stand seeing wrong in the world.
   Overall, Leslie needs friends, people to push her, and enable her to become who she always dreamed she could be, a wonderful person.
Powers/Special abilities:

• Size ChangingLeslie can shrink and grow. Up, and down. Big, and little. She currently can grow to a height of eleven feet, or down to just six inches, but, that’s after a lot of practice. When she grows, her strength is linear to her weight, and her mass follows the square-cube law.

Breakthrough
Leslie had always loved size play, literally. She got horny when she imagined herself as a sixty-foot tall woman. Don’t kink shame her. Now, most people in the macrophilia community, aren’t exactly gentle giantesses, but Leslie was. She just loved the idea of being big and benevolent! Growing up, she searched for any media that included size change and loved fantasizing about it.

Then, her breakthrough happened. She was walking down the road from her apartment to a nearby pet store, to pick up supplies and some dog food. As she was about to go under a bridge, she saw it. A flash, somebody falling. She reached out, and reached, and got bigger, she was growing, she was going to catch him! Then she hit her limit. She’d grown two feet and almost caught the falling boy. But she missed him. The boy hit the ground and died in hospital hours later. After he hit the ground, something told her to undo her growth. These were early days, the first of the breakthroughs when nobody really believed them. So she kept quiet. She was so relieved when she found out that she wasn’t alone, others had powers, and for the sake of that kid who fell, determined to use them for good. And get a therapist. She really needs therapy after that.

Skills:

(Basic Programming):Leslie as a kid loved computer’s, and dreamed of being a super hacker woman. Now, that was a dream when she was five, but, programming always interested her. She can write basic scripts, is working on a shmup in her free time, and can understand machine logic.
(Aquarist): Leslie always loved fish, no connection to her last name. She loves aquariums and made that her career, building fish tanks, stocking them, and making clients happy.
(Skydiver):Leslie loves sky diving. She loves the crisp air, the wind blowing past her, and the sheer individuality. For that time shes in the fall, nobody expects anything of her, she is free. Free, as a bird now, And this bird you cannot change.

Face Claim: Kate French [/list]

AshJeeves

Awkward silence as nobody welcomes me into the group

jk

Callie Del Noire

Sorry been busy tonight.. welcome!  I like the backstory a lot.

AshJeeves

POPS CHAMPAGNE!

Thanks! I am now overly proud, and will let it go to my head./s

Any idea when we're going to start? I'm exciteeeeeeeeeeeed.

GhostOfPatches

Quote from: AshJeeves on June 19, 2020, 11:42:10 PM
POPS CHAMPAGNE!

Thanks! I am now overly proud, and will let it go to my head./s

Any idea when we're going to start? I'm exciteeeeeeeeeeeed.

I died when I read that she had a size kink, this is amazing XD

AshJeeves

Quote from: GhostOfPatches on June 19, 2020, 11:52:58 PM
I died when I read that she had a size kink, this is amazing XD
A, I write what I know.

B, I can't think of how else she would have gotten size powers as a result of her breakthrough.

C, Thank you.

GhostOfPatches

Hah, that's awesome! I'm down if anyone is looking for connections! Just beware, because troubled youth™ is troubled :D!

TheBlackThrone

If any of you think you would have eaten at the restaurant once or often just let me know and I'll add that connection. You might have seen him or interacted with him when he brought you your food.

If you drink there in the evenings, let me know. He will probably have been your bartender.

If any mafia or criminals you think might be connected to the restaurant, then let me know of that too.

If you think you might have been on your way to college and saw the car incident, let me know.

I am going to work with Phantom to iron out that one connection with the mafia and him seeing the incident, but if there are anymore let me know.
The gates are open

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

AshJeeves