Recruitment for Pathfinder Campaign [FULL]

Started by Endorphin, November 24, 2010, 06:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endorphin

As the title suggests, I’d like to run a Pathfinder / D&D 3.5e campaign and would like to know what kind of interest there is for a group of 3-5 mature players.

I’m aiming for a nice blend of action/adventure/intrigue and all the things usually associated with a standard tabletop game, but also a good dose of mature content – so there should be plenty of interaction between the characters themselves, and also with the NPCs. Ideally, we’d have a mixed party with a spread of classes, genders and alignments, some real motivation and a character-driven storyline rather than people simply taking quests because the group is railroaded into doing what is ‘good and true’ at all times.

As far as setting goes, it will be very loosely based on Forgotten Realms, as that is the system I am most familiar with. There will definitely be a healthy balance of urban/wilderness/dungeon etc. Most likely something like a L3 start, with content taken from the Pathfinder Core (and possibly the Bestiary, CS and/or APG).

Now, just to be clear, I’m not looking for munchkins who have 1,001 questions about how to bend the rules to suit their min-maxed, monstrous characters. Nor am I looking for socially retarded or insane characters who contribute little and constantly place themselves and others at risk for no apparent reason.

For those who want to know a little more about me…

I’ve played D&D and other roleplaying games for just over 20 years now, both as a DM and player - via tabletop, chat, email and forums (play-by-post). I like to post regularly and am after players who can do the same. I’ve just concluded a tabletop campaign and want to put my energy into another storyline that will be more than just a flash in the pan and have run several such games on other forums.

I like to allow players enough flexibility to actively add their own elements to the storyline and I also like to provide encounters that are challenging enough so that players feel that they have actually accomplished something when they defeat tough opponents. That includes using dice. Now, occasionally that means that dumb stunts result in character death, but I think that the risk is the very thing that makes the game interesting!

I’m very open-minded with peoples’ ‘preferences’, so feel free to let me know if there’s anything you’d like to see more/less of in the storyline.

So, there you have it. Hopefully there’s some interest out there. If anyone has any questions or comments, you can post here or reach me via PM. Cheers.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Astonaige

sounds interesting, and system games have a tendency not to flake off so much as free form games. I wouldn't mind joining if you would have me.

swordwind

Well, the reason all games flake is because of players interest and RL, soon as those things start to show up, count the game on it's deathbed, but we still try, also I've never got the chance to play in one of these kinds of group things, so count me in. I"ll give it a shot.

Meliai

QuoteI’m content to run with most things, however wild and exotic, though I’d prefer to steer clear of the following subjects: Infantilism, Beastiality, Scat, Vomit, Guro, Obesity, Gasmasks, Gimp Suits and Vampires from Twilight.
That made me giggle, I like you already  ;D

Anyway I'm very interested! I've never played a Forgotten Realms campaign, but I'm fairly certain my boyfriend has several of the books so familiarizing myself with the setting shouldn't be a problem.

Will you be taking characters first come, first serve though? I probably won't be able to start working on one until Friday because of all the holiday nonsense going on.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Crovonovin

I would also like to profess my interest here, especially since you seem especially knowledgeable on the subject, Endorphin.  Unfortunately I am rather new to system games and 3.5e, if only because any games I've made characters for in the past have never gotten up off the ground!  If my inexperience isn't a problem then I would be happy to give it my all, but if you're looking exclusively for players with a lot of background in this sort of thing then I won't be offended in the slightest.

Muse

What pace are you looking to maintain endorphin? 

Same games go three posts a day.  They get pretty crazy.  They can a lot of fun but tend to fall apart when schedualing gets in the way unless people have contact off of the board. 

A really solid post every day or so, or even every three, is the pace I like best. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Endorphin

I don’t have a lot of time, but a couple of quick answers to questions for those who are interested…

Having little knowledge of FR is not a problem at all. In fact, I like it when people don’t quote me memorized timelines of FR history and major events.

I’ve also had a few hits via PM and will consider suitability more than first come, first serve. I intend for this to be a long-term affair and would like to get things off on the right foot.

My preference is for players who know the system, though I also think that it is quite easy to learn and am willing to aid if people have a genuine interest in learning and other good qualities they can bring to the table.

Under normal circumstances, I’m aiming to make a solid post each day to progress things and keep the storyline flowing well. Once every 2 days if work gets in the way. So it’s important to be able to keep up with this. If I have time available and have a situation going with one or more players, I’ll try to move that along a bit quicker to bring everyone back into the game.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Muse

Sounds like you've got a pretty fun set up going. 

Is there any particular are or era of the Forgoten Realms your looking to set in? 

You say loosely?  I'm not a cannon-nazi, but I do have fun being able to say that, "My chahrecter was born in Mistledale on the 12th of Tarsahk in the Year of Rogue Dragons, to ___ and ___, who did such and such for a living.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NicciKotor

I would be able to partake in your game. The only problem being that I am not familiar with pathfinder, what so ever. I know I can find the rules changes online, I've just never been motivated to figure them out. 

So this is as good as time as ever to get some reading in and get this sorted out. With a 4 day weekend things shall be nice for that.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

ulthakptah

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 24, 2010, 02:25:35 PM
I would be able to partake in your game. The only problem being that I am not familiar with pathfinder, what so ever. I know I can find the rules changes online, I've just never been motivated to figure them out. 

So this is as good as time as ever to get some reading in and get this sorted out. With a 4 day weekend things shall be nice for that.
It's basically the same, the difference being you get more feats, cross class skills no longer cost twice as much, skill caps are your level not your level +3, but class skills have a +3 to them, and the classes that have been transferred over have more class features.

Side note: My quarter ended and I could do with one more game, I'll play

Crovonovin

Well I'd certainly be willing to put forth the effort and learn!  I believe my PCGen has a Pathfinder module, so that should partially help me with setting my character up--at least to start with.  There's a particular concept I've been interested in trying that may take some reworking to function properly in this system, assuming it's even a viable option.

But before getting into any character specifics, around what level are you thinking about making this campaign?

Endorphin

It definitely looks like there's plenty of interest in the whole idea, which is great. Looks like I'll be putting something together quite soon...

The initial location the campaign will be somewhere in the vicinity of ‘The Dalelands’, within about 500 miles or so. My main interest in using Forgotten Realms is that the deities and geography suit my purposes as good as any other setting. Aside from that, you should expect most of the NPCs, history, settlements and practically everything else to be mostly custom material.

I think the best way to describe Pathfinder is as an improved version of 3.5e. The core mechanic and gameplay are the same, but many things have been balanced and streamlined. For a player, I would recommend reading through the material relating to your chosen class. Then, take a look at the changes to skills, feats and the way that combat maneuvers (such as grappling, tripping etc) work. The rest can be learned on the go.

This campaign will start at L3. I prefer a game where there is still plenty of time to develop character traits and personalities rather than being thrust straight into the deep end. L3 will also give me some versatility in choosing potential enemies and mean that characters are a bit more durable.

NicciKotor

What is the rules for stat generation? 4d6? Pointbuy? Also starting gold?
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Endorphin

Since this game is online and not around the table, I think point-buy will be the best and fairest method for deciding stats. So, I'll tentatively say that we'll be using the 'High Fantasy' point-buy method with 20 points to spend so that people have enough points to make a solid character and can reach some of those nasty DEX and INT pre-reqs for certain feats.

L3 start. 3,000gp. No more than 1,500gp may be on any single item.

I'm not too strict on encumberance, but I do expect that all items that come into play will be listed appropriately on the character sheet.

Still working out players, though, so don't go too crazy on drafting up a character. I also think that it's important for each player to have their own niche in the group, so I'm reluctant to have more than one of any character class in a party this size.

Endorphin

We’re still pretty early in the process, though I’ve definitely had sufficient interest from people to get this game started in the very near future. At this stage, I’ve got three players who have PM’d me ideas for characters (which are for a female human fighter, female half-elf sorceress and most likely some kind of rogue), and I am totally prepared to run with that, though I really don’t want to leave anyone out in the cold if I can avoid it.

So, for those who have already posted here and have a genuine interest in playing in this campaign, please PM me a brief idea of the character concept you’d most like to play (race, class, style, personality etc), preferably sooner rather than later, and I’ll try to accommodate it. I would like to avoid having characters of the same class if possible.

Stats using a 20 Point-buy. L3 start. 3,000gp starting gold. No more than 1,500gp may be on any single item. You may use any content from Pathfinder Core without restriction. Some content from the APG and/or Bestiary may also be used on a case by case basis, though please run any ideas by me first.

Also, please make sure that you can keep up with a post rate of once a day, under normal circumstances. Anywhere from a couple of lines to a few paragraphs is ideal. I’m not interested in allowing the storyline to stall for the sake of one player, so, if someone fails to post for whatever reason and the game is depending on the input of that player to progress (such as in combat), I’ll use my discretion to NPC or skip that character for that turn/decision or whatever. If someone consistently fails to keep pace with the storyline without a decent explanation, I am prepared to drop them from the game temporarily or permanently.

Sound fair? I hope so. Let's see if we can get some character ideas together and make a start on this in the next few days.

Alternatively, if you’ve changed your mind on the whole idea, I’d appreciate a PM to let me know you’re out.

Otherwise, if you have any questions, you know where to find me. ;)

Endorphin

I've just setup a thread where you can post your characters over HERE.

Crovonovin

Just a quick question:  Am I to assume that only our character's stats (and perhaps appearance, pictures of inspiration, etcetera) should be posted in that thread, while any background information should be kept for your eyes only?  Or will everything be out in the open?

Endorphin

Put everything out in the open. Keeping things concealed is a great idea for tabletop games where there is a lot of quick interaction between players, though it's a little impractical via PBP. So let's just avoid metagaming on the info provided.

Endorphin

Game closed. Definitely no more characters please.

Endorphin

The storyline has now been created. You can find it over HERE.

So, once you're happy with your character, jump in and we'll get underway while we wait for the others. The ol' tavern might be a little cliché but it works well for a new and unfamiliar group like this!

I'm currently waiting on one more potential player and a few amendments to existing character sheets, then we'll move discussion over to the other OOC thread.

Enjoy!

Endorphin