Interest Check - Star Trek - The Original Series or prior?

Started by Devil's Advocate, February 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

so if this is after TOS and from what I see that TV series ended around 2269 could she be one of the first class of Betazoids in star fleet?

Phaia

RubySlippers

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Trill_(planet)
Trill joined in 2295 but was on the Trill trade routes and had contact earlier.

So enlisting as a non-Federation species member is likely acceptable the race would not be considered a threat to the Federation or one to pose a risk. Come on later on Nog was a Ferengi and got in as an officer she is not aiming so high when she was eighteen.  ;D

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Phaia on February 15, 2013, 11:19:36 PM
so if this is after TOS and from what I see that TV series ended around 2269 could she be one of the first class of Betazoids in star fleet?

Phaia

2294 (when we've put the setting) would be after Star Trek The Undiscovered Country and where Kirk gets sucked up by the rift in Generations.

Our starship would be one of the remaining Constitutions refits in service as Starfleet moves to the Excelsior class.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

orderNchaos

So I'm thinking Chief Science Officer or Communications officer.... I always enjoy being a cunning linguist!  ;)

BetaBonk

I could play a human -- looking like maybe the "token" human at this point ;D -- or maybe something very human-ish like Argelian or Betazoid.

As for crew position, I'm hoping for science officer, helmsman, CMO, or engineeer -- in sort of that order of preference, I suppose -- I'm not super-picky about it.

Branwen

Ascia

Phaia

Brianna Oxlia, Daughter of the Third House of Betazed, Guardian of the Six Orbs of Choiza
Lieutenant [Commander?] Star Fleet Medical
Doctor; Expert on Interspecies Mating Rituals; Expert in Psychology
Fully trained in human Jeet Kune Do [certain species such as Klingons and Gorn have very combatic foreplay rituals]
Reporting for duty!!

Brianna Oxlia

RubySlippers

Come on GM allow an unjoined Trill, lay it on me baby!  :D

Ascia

Question, as this is really the first group game on E I'll have played:

Do we establish character relationships before the game starts?

If I run this game on the other RP forum I go to, I probably say, 'Most crews know each other.' So I'd have a section for 'impressions/relationships' in the Character Sheet. There players could get an idea of how each character views each other characters, and give people to chance to have friendships/rivalries/even romances set up before the opening scene, so everyone hits the ground running.

So...is this something ever done? Or is this considered a big E no-no?

Sorry to be the confused n00b. ^_^

Phaia

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

If I run this game on the other RP forum I go to, I probably say, 'Most crews know each other.' So I'd have a section for 'impressions/relationships' in the Character Sheet. There players could get an idea of how each character views each other characters, and give people to chance to have friendships/rivalries/even romances set up before the opening scene, so everyone hits the ground running.

All good ideas there...some of it is up to the gm to decide...I have some peculiarities for Brianna thought up as well as her being telepathic.
Such as Brianna in her quarters tends to be nude...mediating and practicing that way...I could see it being a dare so to speak for younger officers to interrupt her in her quarters...of course that could be bad considering she is medical and a telepath...but she tends to take it in good humor since she finds the human hang ups on nudity and sexuality a bit amusing.
And like all Betazoid she is completely truthful.

Phaia

EbonyQueen

I'd like to put forth my interest as well. I'm a longtime trekker and my favorite 'era' of Trek has always been TOS into the TMP era. So if you have a place in the game I'd be quite interested in playing as well!

RubySlippers

Estal Haata
Master Chief Petty Officer

Well this will do for now if you allow a unjoined Trill we will be good to go.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: EbonyQueen on February 16, 2013, 11:02:24 AM
I'd like to put forth my interest as well. I'm a longtime trekker and my favorite 'era' of Trek has always been TOS into the TMP era. So if you have a place in the game I'd be quite interested in playing as well!

All Trekkies welcome!  I'll put up a character sheet on a new link later today (when I get my two year old down for a nap) and make the info list and OOC list.  Game list will come later.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 11:10:00 AM
Estal Haata
Master Chief Petty Officer

Well this will do for now if you allow a unjoined Trill we will be good to go.

You're just completely set on an unjoined Trill, aren't you?  Sigh.  I suppose we'll allow it even though Trill are not yet Federation members as long as you have a darn good explanation in your history for it.

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

You're not confused, Ascia.  Every game runs differently on E and everywhere I've been.  I think your idea for having an impressions is a great idea.  I already have an area for relationships on my older sheet.

I heard no objections to USS Phoenix, so that's what we will be.

So far, I have not heard two people wanting the same crew position which is a good thing.  Diversity is good.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

USS Phoenix is obviously a nod to the Phoenix, Cochran's vessel, and humanity's first warp capable craft.

And if not...you might want to at least have it say so on the dedication plaque. lol Because otherwise it might be confusing IC. ^_^

Branwen

Ebony!  Yay I am so glad you want to play!

Phaia

i was gonna suggest instead of a Constitution class, we have a Miranda class [Reliant] there were something like 150 of these built. They were smaller then the heavy cruiser with a smaller crew and no real story has been done on them!!
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Trill
This might help for the Trill since it does state that they had warp equal to the UFP in the 23rd century and already had contact.
Also Non-Federation beings can be recommended for Star Fleet by a serving Star Fleet officer

Phaia

Phaia

and according to this Betazoid joined the Federation in 2273

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Betazoid

Phaia

RubySlippers

Why do enlisted members have to be Federation world members? The US military and others such as the British allow foreigners to serve as long as they speak the right language, are qualified and take the respective oaths all she needs to be is known to the Federation as a race. That was the case for some time before the games start. Officers only need a sponsor who is a command rank officer to try to get into the Academy aka Nog I suspect unless the race is a big question mark (enemies of the Federation or something) it shouldn't matter for someone enlisting.

She has good reasons its a reliable career path with a force for good (a meaningful life), likely offers people like her a nice pension after her thirty and a top technical education frankly for her as an eighteen year old apprentice on a trading ship seemed like a better deal overall. It shouldn't be an issue in her case.

And the Trill merchants had Earth in the standard trade routes so they did have contact. If I couldn't work it out I wouldn't want to be one.

EbonyQueen

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 11:24:52 AM
All Trekkies welcome!  I'll put up a character sheet on a new link later today (when I get my two year old down for a nap) and make the info list and OOC list.  Game list will come later.

Thanks! I will wait and see what positions are and aren't taken and see what I can take. If you need a good First Officer (Number One!) I can pull that off rather well. I can also easily have her duo has Navigation or Weapons if those bridge stations are not occupied! I am thinking of playing either an Andorian, a Human, or with GM's approval an Orion.

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 11:39:16 AM
i was gonna suggest instead of a Constitution class, we have a Miranda class [Reliant] there were something like 150 of these built. They were smaller then the heavy cruiser with a smaller crew and no real story has been done on them!!
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix

I vote to keep it on a Constitution class ship. I, personally like the design and layout of the 'Connie' over the Miranda. But like any good Starfleet Officer I'll go where I am posted!

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 12:04:59 PM
Why do enlisted members have to be Federation world members? The US military and others such as the British allow foreigners to serve as long as they speak the right language, are qualified and take the respective oaths all she needs to be is known to the Federation as a race. That was the case for some time before the games start. Officers only need a sponsor who is a command rank officer to try to get into the Academy aka Nog I suspect unless the race is a big question mark (enemies of the Federation or something) it shouldn't matter for someone enlisting.

She has good reasons its a reliable career path with a force for good (a meaningful life), likely offers people like her a nice pension after her thirty and a top technical education frankly for her as an eighteen year old apprentice on a trading ship seemed like a better deal overall. It shouldn't be an issue in her case.

And the Trill merchants had Earth in the standard trade routes so they did have contact. If I couldn't work it out I wouldn't want to be one.

Oh! And a good 'background' explanation... While usually on citizens from Federation member worlds can apply to Starfleet Academy citizens of non-member wolds can take the placement test if they have a letter of referral or such from a Starfleet officer, or other Federation official.

Branwen

Peace, joy, happiness and we will work all this out. :)

Flatter the GM about his hair and he will likely let you have a klingon.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 11:29:58 AM
USS Phoenix is obviously a nod to the Phoenix, Cochran's vessel, and humanity's first warp capable craft.

And if not...you might want to at least have it say so on the dedication plaque. lol Because otherwise it might be confusing IC. ^_^

Such a wise woman you are!

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 11:57:05 AM
and according to this Betazoid joined the Federation in 2273

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Betazoid

Phaia

Whether 2269 on Memory Alpha or 2273, it doesn't matter.  They're in and relatively new.  :)

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 12:04:59 PM

They don't.  See Ebony's very good explanation.  :)

Quote from: EbonyQueen on February 16, 2013, 12:09:21 PM
Thanks! I will wait and see what positions are and aren't taken and see what I can take. If you need a good First Officer (Number One!) I can pull that off rather well. I can also easily have her duo has Navigation or Weapons if those bridge stations are not occupied! I am thinking of playing either an Andorian, a Human, or with GM's approval an Orion.

I vote to keep it on a Constitution class ship. I, personally like the design and layout of the 'Connie' over the Miranda. But like any good Starfleet Officer I'll go where I am posted!

Oh! And a good 'background' explanation... While usually on citizens from Federation member worlds can apply to Starfleet Academy citizens of non-member wolds can take the placement test if they have a letter of referral or such from a Starfleet officer, or other Federation official.

We already decided on a Connie refit.  Layout is in accordance with Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.  I will put it all on the info thread.

As to XO, just might, Ebony and from what I've heard about you from an unnamed source, you'd be a wonderful fit.  PM me, if you would, please.  I'm trying to get a 2 year old in bed after Girl Scout cookies just arrived.

Quote from: Branwen on February 16, 2013, 12:10:29 PM
Peace, joy, happiness and we will work all this out. :)

Flatter the GM about his hair and he will likely let you have a klingon.

No Klingons, no matter how much my hair is flattered.  Worf is the first on any Federation vessel.  :P
O/o's

A/a's

Phaia

so is Brianna Oxila good for medical [or chief medical if needed] possibly pioneering the idea of a consular on broad

Phaia

Ascia

Let's also not forget foreign nationals are often allowed in the military as a path to citizenship. (You might be shocked to learn how many are active duty in the US military.) And Star Trek doesn't mind it's dual citizens; take Worf for example.