News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

M:TG Roleplaying Group

Started by Remec, April 24, 2010, 09:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remec

Have you played Magic:The Gathering and had your imagination tickled (among other things) at the possibilities inherent in what duelists and planeswalkers do to acquire and manipulate the powers under their command? How they get such diverse beings to obey and do as they wish when summoned?

Have you read any of the novels and/or short stories that addressed these issues as well as showed the backstory behind the different world settings for the card game?

Well, come in and leave your two cents, then. *BG*

We are looking at putting together a M:TG RP where various duelists would come together and use their mana access (not to mention their summoning abilities) in ways that we've always thought they might be doing, but have yet to see WoTC admit to.

To that end, we need to know

• who's interested
  • how we are playing the summoning of creatures
  • how are we depicting the use of Magic
  • When will we know when a duel is won or lost

I'm sure there are other things to cover, as well, but that's a good start.

8-)

Ex68471

Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

Saerrael

I know I shouldn't do this, but I want in!

And I really want to play a Black/ White deck >.>
Will be fun to see how the hell I'm going to RP that combination of magic.

Any restrictions on cards?

TheGlyphstone

I'm on this like removal on a Tarmagoyf.

What? :P

GryphonCompanion

Count me in Remec! I've always wanted to do one of these ^_^
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

I have seen slower people than I am and more deliberate … and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But, they were dead.
- Mark Twain

GryphonCompanion

LMAO Glyph :) Should we use the currently banned/restricted lists? Cuz Black Lotuses are kinda the shiznitz >.>
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

I have seen slower people than I am and more deliberate … and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But, they were dead.
- Mark Twain

TheGlyphstone

Wait, we'd actually be playing by card game rules? I was picturing something more like the novels - we could totally still have battles, but more of a freeform-ish nature.

Remec

Quote from: Saerra on April 24, 2010, 10:00:27 PM
I know I shouldn't do this, but I want in!

And I really want to play a Black/ White deck >.>
Will be fun to see how the hell I'm going to RP that combination of magic.

Any restrictions on cards?

First good question.

Shall we have people posting deck lists so we know what to potentially expect? Shall we keep it wide open, as you might in Casual Play, or to we want to limit the scope to specific blocks of the game?

One concept might be to play what you'd like, but keep your 'deck' to within a given framework plus the Basic set.

Example:
You plan a character from (to be recent) Zendikar...then you give them access only to spells from the Core set, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi

8-)

Ex68471

Hehe.

I just had this image of one of us players commanding a massive rat army using only a pipe. ;D

I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

Saerrael

Quote from: Remec on April 24, 2010, 10:06:29 PM
First good question.

Shall we have people posting deck lists so we know what to potentially expect? Shall we keep it wide open, as you might in Casual Play, or to we want to limit the scope to specific blocks of the game?

One concept might be to play what you'd like, but keep your 'deck' to within a given framework plus the Basic set.

Example:
You plan a character from (to be recent) Zendikar...then you give them access only to spells from the Core set, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi

8-)

Personally, I'm thinking of not listing desks, but at least some restriction should be handy. We don't want to have Wrath of God on every turn, now would we?

GryphonCompanion

I'd think maybe using either Standard or Legacy/other similar format banned/restricted lists would work well, and keep it open but not too overpowered. Because I was thinking of using a R/W or R/W/G slide (not sleigh) deck :)

I'm old school like that.

Of course, I'd tweak it with the newer generations of cards too.
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

- Mark Twain

Ex68471

I'm probably just going to appropriate my all-color artifact deck for this.

It seems like it'll be a lot of fun. :D

TheGlyphstone

I'd still advocate a semi-freeform setup for duels. Create a planeswalker character, and decide on a general deck archtype/theme/color mix. Keep a general idea of what you've used and are using, and try to keep it going to the tempo that a fully rules-stable card match would have...Goblins or Grizzly Bears on the first turn, not Bogardan Hellkites or Eldrazi.

Latooni Subota

Why hello there, i'm the one who immediately suggested we do this. -Modelwalks-

Obviously, i'm interested, and i have LOTS of ideas on how to run this stuff. :3

Much like a lot of the novels do, the way it works normally works is the prospective planeswalkers travel around and gain ahold of areas of land that have strong mana, as well as somehow attaining creatures and developing spells to use, sometimes copying them from others.

The way I think works best is that each Planeswalker has their own little demiplane, probably linked to some nifty item they have on their person. In order to acquire artifacts/creatures/etc they put their personal magic 'touch' onto them, like a mark or something . . maybe work out deals or force the creatures into submission. Let's say this allows the creatures to go on with their lives, but it saves a 'copy' of their current power/mental state/whatever in that demiplane that the Planeswalker can call on.

As for mana, the Planeswalker puts his mark into a special place with strong mana, creating a link between the place and himself, so he can call upon it's mana in the future.

On the Planeswalker's person, he keeps a token of some kind that acts as a link to whatever essences he has in his demiplane, allowing him to easily summon it by using the right amount of mana. You use the token by thumbing it, kissing it, brandishing it, whatever to help you summon your whatever.

When the creature is killed, the token burns up, probably necessitating you to find that creature again and re-make a contract . . if they let you. Maybe when a creature you summon dies, the original weakens or something somehow, to give less incentive for certain creatures to want to ally with you?

Magic spells are developed by the mage himself, and can be re-developed and 'readied for use' if countered/used up/etc. Artifacts . . well, if you have the real artifact, then you can keep making essences or whatever of it if your essence of the artifact in question ends up destroyed somehow.

Rather than suffering wounds, Life can be displayed by your spiritual resilience or something. Probably personalized for each person. Your total Life is represented by how many nifty floating magic barriers/etc you have protecting you. When you run out, you give up, because dying SUCKS. Rather than being brought to negative somehow (NO LICH SHENANIGANS! :P ) maybe your last shield soaks all of the overwash damage and leaves you helpless?

As for rules, the game should be played with standard rules except for the changes as outlined above, but you can essentially 'draw' any card from your deck at any time. Normally 1 mana played per turn, start at 20 life, etc.

Using the Banlist is fine by me, and picking what format (Classic/Legacy/whatever) would be a good idea. Also, we should pick a limit to what amount of mana we have in our deck. Maybe also limit how many Colors we can use to start? And yes. Deck Lists are good.

Edit while Posting: Hmm, picking a limited amount of Sets for each character to choose from would be a neat concept. Maybe one person picks Urza Saga, one Rath Cycle, etc? And yes, also we should have Limit Etc of a card per deck like usual. Maybe the nature of the magic makes it naturally more like the Trading Card Game? :P

Also, MSN or AIM or SKype or something chat would be handy, no? :P

BIG EDIT: OOOH! Maybe when you win and have your . . fun . . you also get the ability to use one Set of the loser's chosen Block? Would be a neat competition-inspiring rule. ;)
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

GryphonCompanion

Would we have a limit of 60 "spells," which would include the ability to tap into the land around us? Or would the mana generation be separate from the actually spells and not count against said limit?
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

- Mark Twain

Saerrael

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 24, 2010, 10:16:18 PM
I'd still advocate a semi-freeform setup for duels. Create a planeswalker character, and decide on a general deck archtype/theme/color mix. Keep a general idea of what you've used and are using, and try to keep it going to the tempo that a fully rules-stable card match would have...Goblins or Grizzly Bears on the first turn, not Bogardan Hellkites or Eldrazi.

Yes, of course. I didn't mean to imply a system game. Sorry if it came across like that :)

My god, this thread moves like a train! xD

Latooni Subota

I'd suggest the mana pool be a separate pre-determined number like 10 or 15. As for the actual MEAT of the deck, limit it to . .  30 or 40? Maybe every win makes you a bit stronger, and you can add 5 cards to the limit of your deck? Also, I did a slight edit to my post about consequences of winning/losing.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

GryphonCompanion

*jumps on the Latooni bandwagon* ^_^ No qualms from me there.
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

- Mark Twain

Ex68471

I truly like the ideas you have put forward, Latooni, but you neglected to mention one very important card class: Planeswalkers. Are we just going to not use them, or would we summon their "essence" and essentially just have an ally standing next to you casting massive area-effect spells as we activate their abilites?

Saerrael

Quote from: Ex68471 on April 24, 2010, 10:25:01 PM
I truly like the ideas you have put forward, Latooni, but you neglected to mention one very important card class: Planeswalkers. Are we just going to not use them, or would we summon their "essence" and essentially just have an ally standing next to you casting massive area-effect spells as we activate their abilites?

*suggests playing as Planeswalkers*

Latooni Subota

Eventually, if you get tired of a character/let him or her die for some delicious story reason/feel like a change of pace, maybe we can make extra characters too, using different sets or something? Just a thought.

Edit: PLANESWALKERS! For that, we could have a group discussion, and make our main characters actually BE a Planeswalker. Vote on whether or not the abilities are fair/worth the loyalty cost. Instead of loyalty, make it be another type of thing like "Spirit/Chi/Whatever" and if you drop to zero, that just means you exhausted that type of energy and can't use it again for the remainder of the battle. Maybe give yourself a (Voted on) mana cost to activate that 'mode'?

Or we can not use planeswalkers as extra things. :3

GryphonCompanion

Ex, that would all depend on if you are using a set block, like Latooni suggested. I would say to not use planeswalkers, since they are only in the last few blocks. And they are still confusing as hell at times for me in the game @_@ lol
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

- Mark Twain

TheGlyphstone

For the creatures, the token idea is neat, though I'm just as amused by the idea of each summoning being somewhat spontaneous. When the planeswalker calls upon the titanic energies of two volcanoes and rips open a portal between universes, Gozzik the Goblin is actually bodily dragged from his lazy shift on sentry duty to fend off the attacks of a ravenous ghoul. When 'killed', Gozzik would vanish and reappear back home, no worse for the wear minus a miserable headache and severely confused as to what just happened.

We should be the Planeswalkers themselves, as described in the original MtG manuals...the Planeswalker cards are mostly combo gimmicks anyways.

Katina Tarask

I'm interested, though I've never really played magic.  Latooni's promised to take me under her wing and utterly trounce me a few times so'st I can learn.

*Attempted to post six times within a few minutes and each time got a 'new post' notice.*

Remec

Quote from: Saerra on April 24, 2010, 10:26:29 PM
*suggests playing as Planeswalkers*

Yeah, I think that'd be the way to go with it. Even if you want to rp that you're not a Walker, and only know about and reside in a given plane,