Gmail and Blocks

Started by Oreo, May 02, 2011, 03:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

I have a friend that got hacked and now I am receiving spam through her name. I tried deleting her from my contact list, but the emails keep coming every day. It seems I can block people in the chat, but I can't find out where to block them in my account. Any hint on where to look?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Lilias

Settings > Filters

Create a filter that will send messages from a particular address directly to Trash.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lord Drake

As far as I am told you have to look into "filters" I have found this couple articles (one and two) on the net that may be of help. Snooping in the net, I have found this from an article online.

Filtering Emails in Gmail

If you are reading one of the emails from the extremely annoying person you wish you had never met, you can click the arrow next to the Reply button and choose “Filter messages like this” (being very careful not to accidentally reply with @!#$$% and open up a whole other can of worms).

Otherwise you can click the “Create a filter” link right next to the search boxes up near the top of the page…

If you chose “Filter messages like this” the From box will automatically be populated with the person’s email address, though you can write in their email address, or even their name. I’d go with the email address, and then click the “Next Step” button.

On the following screen which asks you which action you want to do on the filtered message, you can click the “Mark as read” checkbox, and then click on the “Delete it” checkbox. This will send their messages automatically to the trash can.

Clicking the “Create Filter” button will make this filter active, and you’ll find it listed under Settings \ Filters in case you want to edit or delete it.

You’ll notice that the message isn’t permanently deleted, as it will sit in the trash can for 30 days until it empties automatically. Somehow that seems appropriate.

Does it help??
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Oreo

:D Yes *extra uber hugs to you both* Thank you, Mwwwwah!

I had been looking up how to block and didn't think to filter.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to tell your friend to change her password.  If her account is being accessed to send emails changing the password sometimes stops this activity.

Oreo

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 02, 2011, 06:53:32 AM
You might want to tell your friend to change her password.  If her account is being accessed to send emails changing the password sometimes stops this activity.
The first thing I did was write to her and ask if the email was even from her. There was enough showing in the subject line to make me suspicious enough to not even open it. I never heard back. The last contact we had was over a year ago. There wasn't much else I could do besides deleting and blocking.

Beguile's Mistress

Ah.  That's always inconvenient.  She may not use the account any longer and wouldn't know what's happening.  Usually the contact list is accessed and everyone on it starts receiving the same messages.  Hopefully, someone she still corresponds with will contact her.

*hugs you*