Curse of Strahd (5th DnD adventure recruitment)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, October 26, 2018, 04:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampere

That's a very nice corset she's almost wearing.
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

Zaer Darkwail

I would allow tressym as familiar, so my advice to get magic initiate feat and get find familiar as 1st level arcane spell (and couple cantrips which some can be useful for melee chars like booming blade etc). Money wise it would be too costly get figurine as uncommon item (unless there is reference of one).

Muse

(Oh!  That's right, Zaer, you wanted illustrations for our character portraits.  back to the drawing board there!) 

I have something else lined up for my human feat, I'm afraid.  Plus the find familiar spell doesn't make a bond with an existing animal in this edition, it creates one.  :)  I just want a pet cat cunning enough to walk in dark places with me, with some affection and some attitude. 

But it's no big deal.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Find Familiar would allow create custom cat (this case tressym) and use it. A regular pet cat I could allow just for 5gp but tressyms I consider far too exotic for purchase just gold (or at least 2,000gp).

Also yeah, albeit lovely corset in that model it needs illustrated so it fits rest of the cast appearances as well :P. But there are corset paladins out there ;)

Roleplay Frog

google fantasy/gothic corset art, go to party. *chuckles*

Chulanowa

Quote from: Muse on October 29, 2018, 09:48:51 AM
(Oh!  That's right, Zaer, you wanted illustrations for our character portraits.  back to the drawing board there!) 

I have something else lined up for my human feat, I'm afraid.  Plus the find familiar spell doesn't make a bond with an existing animal in this edition, it creates one.  :)  I just want a pet cat cunning enough to walk in dark places with me, with some affection and some attitude. 

But it's no big deal.  :)

Maybe something like...

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 29, 2018, 10:28:17 AM
Maybe something like...

BWAHAHAHA I'm.

haah.. I'm sorr.. bu..

haaah.. huuh..

THE KNIGHT OF BELTS EVERYONE! No more, shall our leather sashes be too short or long, NO MORE! Shall we have to tear additional holes into their elongated beauty! Maria, Paladin of Belts, stands for this cause! (Also, against evil, mon-fri 9-5, plus 9-1 on every third saturday of the month)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 29, 2018, 10:32:57 AM
BWAHAHAHA I'm.

haah.. I'm sorr.. bu..

haaah.. huuh..

THE KNIGHT OF BELTS EVERYONE! No more, shall our leather sashes be too short or long, NO MORE! Shall we have to tear additional holes into their elongated beauty! Maria, Paladin of Belts, stands for this cause! (Also, against evil, mon-fri 9-5, plus 9-1 on every third saturday of the month)

Welcome to fantasy art in the 2010's, Frog. Much as Rob Leifeld erased feet from all comic art in the 90's, much as Matt and Trey made EVERY cartoon look like armature garbage in the naughts, Wayne Reynolds has made belts the only permissible article of clothing in fantasy art.

CeruleanSerenity

I'm always interested in a good 5e game, so I thought I would throw my hat in the ring, so to speak... I haven't had a chance to play this module before, so it would be completely new to me.

Maybe a tiefling divine soul sorcerer? I had a similar character once, though that was back in 3.5 and I wouldn't mind revisiting the idea - she was an outlaw thanks to her demonic heritage, despite her good heart and divine blessings, and laid low working as a prostitute until events forced her out into adventure.

I also considered a cleric or paladin... I don't have any specific ideas for those yet, though (unless I adapted the same one).

Zaer Darkwail

Cerulean, any those concepts do work for me :). However present some concept (no need full sheet, just filled out concept profile as posted in first post the formula). As I make picks on party based on those (albeit full sheet would be a plus).

CeruleanSerenity

All right. I think I'll go with the divine soul idea, then... I'll right up a proper profile as soon as I find time (and a good picture).

Muse

This girl is kind of growing on me, any opinions? 

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/12/b8/c9/12b8c983980710413cb69ed36dcc2b78.jpg

Zaer, is there more I should develop on Cinnamon to have a better chance to get in? 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, the bio is okay. But would help if you fill the sheet format which I posted in first post (to add clarity and clearer idea what you plan to go with the char as you start work on actual sheet).

Muse

Name: Cinnamon
Race: Human (Variant, Weapon Mastery feat to gain proficiency in lance, longsword, and two others.) 
Class: Cleric of Lathander (Sun Domain)
Description: 5'10" with dense, supple muscles, Cinamon's full lips are equaly intense with violent conviction, playful pout, and mischevious dimple. 
Background: Noble Knight 
Biography:   Cinnamon tries to not be snide or snarky when people ask what her real name is.  The most insightful answer--and snarkiest--she's ever given is, "It's either Cinnamon or it's Mud.  I know which I prefer." 

Cinnamon is a fairly young woman--only 19.  She wields a long sword and lance with the skill of a beginning knight.  (Who wouldn't normally win her spurs 'til 21.)  That is not her calling, though.  "I went into seclusion at the House of the Morning in Eveningstar two years ago," she could explain.  "The Morninglord always held a special place in my heart, but during my time cloistered his faith came to me as a great comfort.  I looked to the rising sun one morning, and knew I had a new calling in life, a new beginning.  I would do Lathander's Work." 

Cinamon's Secret (Do not open if you don't like spoilers.)

Cinamon's birth name is Amira Cormaeril.    Amira was squire to a Purple Dragon Knight--Cyran Scatterhawk--and energetically pursuing her spurs when it was revealed that most of her family was involved in a plot to assassinate King Ahzoun. 

Between her youth and her Knight vouching for her, Amira did not face exile like much of her family.  She stayed strong when her peers taunted her as a traitor's daugther.  She wept when her cousin Rowan fell under a curse and became a demonic Gazenth.  She held out secret hope that her cousin Rowena could do some good for the world in the Harpers. 

It was when she discovered that her father and most of her extended family had reformed the Fire Knives assassin guild that Amira lost hope, abandoned the calling of the Knight, and went into indefinite seclusion under a vow of silence at the Temple in Eveningstar. 

Roleplay Frog

It must be getting closer to christmas, because I want to taste some cinnamon.

*clears throat*

I mean.. *Ahem* she's ok from a teamworking perspective, I guess..

Kathyan

Updated my sheet with numbers and stuff since I will be busy for a couple of days, might change chosen spells since we got an illusionist.

Ershin

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 27, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
Ershin - Probably a mammal

See.

Now I have to make a Tortle. Or a Dragonborn.  Maybe a Kobold?

Chulanowa

I think I'm going to join Muse there and make some sort of unambiguously decent person - After all, horror isn't horror if everyone is gritty, gritty, grimdark.  ;D

It's just a question of what, though.

CeruleanSerenity

I'm partway done now... but I wanted to post what I have and ask about something.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Cynthea
Race: Tiefling
Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)
Description: (besides what pic provides or is same)
Background: Urchin
Biography: Being a child with demon blood is rarely easy, and, born in a city under strict and zealous rule, Cynthea was not one of the exceptions. She knew from a young age that she wasn't wanted or welcome, and her parents hid her only until she had grown enough that they could ease their guilt by pretending it wouldn't be murder to kick her out - and luckily for her, she was bright enough to make it on her own. She quickly learned to do what it took to survive, sticking to the bad parts of town where people were more open to misfits like her. She earned food and coin by begging or doing odd jobs where she could and stealing where she couldn't, and as she grew up and developed the body of an uncommonly attractive young woman, she eventually found another way to make a living. Cynthea's first sexual encounter awakened two things in her: a fierce lust for carnal pleasure, and a divine power she had never known before. She had barely started selling herself on the streets before a local madam offered her a place in her brothel. Life as a prostitute wasn't what most would think of as glamorous, but to Cynthea, it was the happiest she had ever been. There her demon blood only made her more exotic and tempting; she was popular and successful, and found she quite enjoyed the work. Her magic made her useful, her body drew customers like flies, and the caring demeanor she found in herself made her close friends with her fellow workers. If she could, she would have stayed there forever.

But, of course, she wasn't so lucky. Prostitution was outlawed in the city as is, and when rumors started to spread that the brothel harbored a demonic whore with infernal powers, the authorities couldn't turn a blind eye any longer. The raid ended with the brothel burnt to the ground and many she had known and loved dead, and Cynthea was forced to flee the city, taking as many as she could save with her. She hasn't settled in another home since. After finding another home for her friends, she took a path of journey and adventure for herself, honing her magic, learning to protect those she cares for, and seeing for herself just how high she can reach. Cynthea still visits them from time to time, but she continues to blame herself for what happened, and she never stays put for long. One day, she hopes, she will find a place they can all find acceptance and live together in true peace and comfort - or become powerful enough to make one herself.

Cynthea's harsh life taught her many things, but it never quite hardened her heart. She's slow to trust, especially with the stern and authoritarian, but quick to care, particularly for the outcast and downtrodden. She doesn't sell her body quite as often anymore, but she's hardly hesitant to use it for profit or pleasure - and her hunger for pleasure hasn't lessened in the least. She has no reservations about enjoying herself whenever and with whomever she gets the chance, and she likes to flaunt herself and tease those less confident than her.

I realized that since Kathyan and I both picked the same background and Charisma-based classes, there's likely to be some overlap between our characters' skills and such. I don't mind that, but if anyone thinks it might be a problem, I can change something. Maybe pick a different Background to represent her time as a prostitute, but I don't know what would work for that.

Apart from that, I just need to pick a picture and write up a description... that always takes me more time and worrying than it should, but I'll make sure I finish things up before the deadline.

Zaer Darkwail

Alternative for prostitution background would work both charlatan (using alias is good for prostitution as background quirk) and entertainer.

snowdrop

Heya! I've been looking at this thread for a while. I've never played Curse of Strahd before and this sounds like it could be a lot of fun, sooo... I thought I'd see if I could squeeze my way in still too :-) If the group is already full, that's okay, I understand!

I originally making a paladin of some kind, as Zaer pointed out the party could use divine casters and front-line fighters (and I've usually always played full spellcasters in D&D, so it could be fun change of pace for me!) -- but I kiiiiinda wasn't super into wearing heavy armor and shields and all that, and a Dexterity based paladin wasn't really doing it for me either.

Then what actually caught my eye was the Way of the Kensei monk, which seemed like exactly what I had in mind for the character idea -- I can actually wear *no* armor, and actually use a longsword with dexterity, PLUS sometimes get AC increases as if I'm wearing a shield? It looks sooo fun! It's not a divine caster, of course, but... maybe it'll be all right? ^_^

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway -- here's what I've got now! (Sorry if the background is a bit longer than you wanted, I tried to cut it down >.<)

-------

Linnquiel
Name: Linnquiel (Linn for short)
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Monk (Way of the Kensei)
Description: As pictured. Pale, short, fit but curvy, beautiful; looks mostly  human at first glance, but her eyes have a piercing beauty to them that give away her elven blood.
Background: Courtier
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Biography:
Childhood
Linnquiel was born a bastard child in a human lord's court. Her father was an elf she never knew; her father was a human courtier who died when Linnquiel was only a little child. With no family and only a molecum of noble blood in her veins, Linnquiel could have easily been sent away, but the lord and his courtiers had already grown fond of the lively, charming little girl, and they raised her in the court.

Linnquiel was groomed to be a sort of an entertainer in the court. From a young age, she was taught taught to sing, dance, and perform in the court; to bring some light and joy in the nobles' lives. She was quite good at all of that, but her true talents became apparent once the Lord's Champion, an old monk duelist, started training her in the ways of the sword and the martial arts.

So talented was Linnquiel at this style of dueling that combined her dancing and acrobatics with an obsessive dedication at mastering her sword that her Lord started grooming her to be his own Sword; a personal Champion he would eventually be able to use to carry out tasks no one else could. Even if she wasn't quite ready for that yet, the Lord enjoyed having Linnquiel duel as his Champion; there was nothing quite like the look on his rivals' faces when this little girl would easily and gracefully dismantle them in personal combat.

Starting her life as an adventurer
Linnquiel quite enjoyed her life as a courtier, performer and champion. On the eve of Linnquiel's 16th birthday, however, it became apparent her duties would drastically increase.

"From tomorrow on, you will be a woman", she was told, "and the Lord wishes you to appear in court tomorrow in your silk ribbons, and nothing else. The Lord has invited all of his vassals to court, and they wish to share the first taste of your body together."

Linnquiel of course knew what it meant. From tomorrow on, she would not only be a courtier, but the court courtesan. A highly prestigious position, some would say, but one that came with a major responsibility; not only would her first time tomorrow be a glorified gangbang by dozens of visiting nobles, from that day on, she would be expected to make herself available to any lord or lady of high enough rank, at any time, for whatever they wished.

Perhaps she shouldn't have been surprised. After all, dressing up cute and looking pretty in court had always been a major part of Linnquiel's upbringing. But at that moment, she instantly realized that was not the life she wanted.

Linnquiel had never been explicitly forbidden to leave the court; but she knew better than to ask, either. That same night, under the cover of darkness, Linnquiel packed all of her belongings, including her personal weapons and the magical cloak she had inherited; took the beautiful horse she had been assigned before; and fled the castle. Where? To do what? She didn't know. Right now, she just wanted to put some distance between herself and her former Lord.

Life as an adventurer
Now, Linnquiel has been on the road for a few months; happy and excited at her new life as a traveller and an explorer. She does odd jobs whereever she can find them, whether they be performing as a dancer or a gladiator, hunting monsters or even taking mercenary work. All she knows is she doesn't want to tie herself down anymore. Linnquiel loves this new, free life, even if it's less glamorous than the one she left behind. She has no idea if anyone from her old court is following her or not... but for now, it's not something to worry about; as long as she can slowly move further away from it.

Personality
Linnquiel is a kind, cheerful person who is generally fun to be around. She seems to somewhat take her martial skills for granted -- after all, it's all she's ever known -- and is always taken aback when others act surprised at her abilities. She tries to help people when she can, and has a healthy respect for laws and traditions, having been raised among them; but right now, she's almost mischievously happy whenever she has a chance to break those traditions. Life as a wild girl is actually much more exciting than an obedient one!

Character Sheet:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
STR 10 (+0), save +3 (prof)
DEX 16 (+3), save +6 (prof)
CON 12 (+1), save +2
INT 9 (-1), save +0
WIS 16 (+3), save +4
CHA 12 (+1), save +2

HP 21 (Hit Dice 3d8), AC 17, Initiative +3, Speed 40ft
3 Ki Points; Ki Save DC 13

Skill proficiencies:
Acrobatics (+5), Athletics (+2), Insight (+5), Performance (+3), Persuasion (+3), Stealth (+5)

Weapon proficiencies: Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Shortsword, Simple Weapons

Tool proficiencies: Lyre, Painter's Supplies

Languages: Common, Elvish, Undercommon, Dwarvish, Sylvan

Traits and Features
Racial Traits:
Darkvision (60ft)
Fey Ancestry (advantage on saves against being charmed; magic can't put to sleep)
Skill Versatility (Performance, Stealth)

Class Features:
Flurry of Blows - After you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action)
Patient Defense - You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.
Step of the Wind - You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.

Unarmored Defense (when not wearing armor, AC = 10 + DEX + WIS)
Martial arts (while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren’t wearing armor or wielding a shield, you can use DEX instead of STR for the attack and damage rolls, you can roll your Martial Arts damage die in place of the normal damage, and when you use the Attack action on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.)
Unarmored Movement (speed increases by 10ft when not wearing armor)
Deflect Missiles (as a reaction, when hit by a ranged weapon attack, reduce damage by 1d10 + 6)

Path of the Kensei:
Kensei Weapons (Longsword & Hand Crossbow) - gain proficiency with them, and they are treated as monk weapons.
Agile Parry (If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn and are holding a kensei weapon, you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.)
Kensei's Shot (You can use a bonus action on your turn to make ranged attacks with a kensei weapon deal an extra 1d4 damage of the weapon’s type until the end of the current turn.)
Way of the Brush (painter's supplies)

Equipment
Magic item: Cloak of Protection (+1 to AC and all saves)
Gothic trinket: A black wooden pipe that creates puffs of smoke that look like skulls

Longsword                  15gp
Hand Crossbow            75gp
Crossbow Bolts (40)      2gp
Potion of Healing (5)      250gp

Backpack                  2gp
Bedroll                     1gp
Tent                        2gp
Rope, silk (50ft)         10gp
Rations (10 days)      5gp
Clothes, traveler's      2gp
Mess Kit                  2sp
Diplomat's Pack         39gp
   Chest   
   2 cases of maps and scrolls   
   Fine clothes   
   Bottle of ink   
   Ink pen   
   Lamp   
   2 flasks of oil   
   5 sheets of paper   
   Vial of perfume   
   Sealing wax   
   Soap

Riding Horse         75gp
Saddle, riding         10gp

Gold remaining: 11gp 8sp

Roleplay Frog

I kinda wish you'd have named your character after some sorta spice, because then I could have gotten some great innuendo in with Cinnnamon earlier...

Also, more interest means A) Extra's just in case one or two people fall off, and B) potentially another running of the campaign if there's an excess of players, so keep 'em coming!

err.. not to speak for Zaer ofc. :P

snowdrop

Hah! Sorry about that! I always have to name my elf-ish characters something Tolkien-esque, even though D&D elves have nothing to do with Tolkien's ones...

'Linnquiel' should (very roughly and misspelled) mean something like "wet maiden" though, so there's that ;-)

Roleplay Frog

Oh my. I can respect that, and now that you note it down, it does sound kinda like Tengwar, props in that regard, I've noticed most people including myself naming elves by taking a normal name and adding one or two apostrophes and maybe additional vowels.

Still though, the submission of these characters makes me hopeful for my character to not easily be distracted away by wicked vampire brides. *nod sagely*

Chulanowa