What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightblack

I find some grim satisfaction in the realization that those in public service share equally from the bounties of idiocy, regardless of continent or history. Guess those social justice peeps are on to something after all.  ::)
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Lustful Bride

RedRose

Wonder why no article says which target they were going for. Maybe they didn't choose yet, or it's too creepy.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Sara Nilsson

https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-lawyer-runs-scared-from-cameras-outside-home/

Aaron Schlossberg, the racist mother..bleep. who was cursing and yelling at people for speaking Spanish in a restaurant seems shy all of a sudden and can be seen trying to avoid the reporters. Also, https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-lawyer-kicked-out-of-his-office-space/

Seems that people doesnt want to have him around, so he has been kicked out of the office space. The poor guy, all he wanted to do was harass people. Is that to much to ask for in Trumps America?! *giggles*

Lustful Bride

Those reactions remind me we are better than the idiots and bigots running around trying to turn the country into their playground.

Beorning

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 17, 2018, 08:42:00 PM
Not sure how to feel about this. I am not that familiar with Marx. Though id like a good laugh to see how much his ideals clash with that of the PRC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/at-the-height-of-his-power-chinas-xi-jinping-moves-to-embrace-marxism/ar-AAxrPoZ?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

Speaking of Marx, this recently happened in Poland:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/poland-apologizes-after-police-interrupt-karl-marx-meeting/2018/05/14/c1847c12-57a8-11e8-9889-07bcc1327f4b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2b9a27638d5d

Another testimony on how we keep drifting away from being a democratic country... :\

BTW. No-one's commenting on Harry and Meghan's wedding tomorrow?

Deamonbane

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-shooting-santa-fe-texas-high-school-150311016.html

High School shooting in Santa Fe, Texas. I know that Texas is a big place, but I also know that there are more than a handful of E members living in Texas. Hoping that you guys are all okay.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

blue bunny sparkle

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 18, 2018, 03:18:53 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-shooting-santa-fe-texas-high-school-150311016.html

High School shooting in Santa Fe, Texas. I know that Texas is a big place, but I also know that there are more than a handful of E members living in Texas. Hoping that you guys are all okay.

Sad. So f'n sad. Every time this happens it's sad and tragic and unnecessary.

This one ithough is much too close.

Oniya

Quote from: blue bunny sparkle on May 18, 2018, 03:35:48 PM
Sad. So f'n sad. Every time this happens it's sad and tragic and unnecessary.

This one ithough is much too close.

I'm starting to think that kids are starting to get numbed to this, almost like combat fatigue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Man, remember when headlines like that were part of the National Enquirer?  Or the Weekly World News?  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on May 18, 2018, 08:03:32 PM
Man, remember when headlines like that were part of the National Enquirer?  Or the Weekly World News?  O_o

My vote for "strange story involving a high potentate" goes to this one (push the arrow to get to the second page): https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20061217/282089157284181

Sitting drunk in a parked car, throwing toys around and saying "I am the Bishop of Southwark. It's what I do!" is hard to beat in every way. :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

But how the heck did he get into this car in the first place..? :)

BTW. Harry and Meghan got married! Now, here's a question: as Meghan Markle's official first name is actually Rachel, is she going to be Duchess Meghan or Duchess Rachel from now on?

RedRose

Good question - though I didn't follow the story at all. Do English people go by their first name? French people normally do, but once upon a time they actually used their last given name. Valentin Louis Georges Eugène Marcel Proust is Marcel Proust's full name (granted nowadays people stick to 3 names as a whole though you do encounter 4 or 5).
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on May 19, 2018, 06:46:34 AM

BTW. Harry and Meghan got married! Now, here's a question: as Meghan Markle's official first name is actually Rachel, is she going to be Duchess Meghan or Duchess Rachel from now on?

Much like the 500 pound gorilla, I suspect she will be called whatever she wants to be.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on May 19, 2018, 06:46:34 AM

I suspect it's going to be Duchess Meghan - but some British royalty are actually referred to by the names of their husbands: google "Princess Michael of Kent", born Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz.  :)

Also, the future list of British monarchs, in our lifetimes, if everything runs according to plan:

Charles III
William V
George VII

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Sarah Ferguson was pretty much always referred to as 'Fergie'.  (To the point that I had to Google what her actual name is.)

Shekinah

I think it will be Meghan as she even used this to say her vows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QSPoi2g28

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Lilias

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 19, 2018, 09:44:03 AM
I suspect it's going to be Duchess Meghan - but some British royalty are actually referred to by the names of their husbands: google "Princess Michael of Kent", born Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz.  :)

That only happens if they do not receive peerage upon marriage. 'Prince/ss' means simply 'member of the royal family' and all other nobility titles supercede it. The only royals currently called Prince/ss are children, the Kents, and Princess Anne, both of whose husbands were commoners who refused peerage.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beorning

Quote from: Lilias on May 19, 2018, 01:16:47 PM
That only happens if they do not receive peerage upon marriage. 'Prince/ss' means simply 'member of the royal family' and all other nobility titles supercede it. The only royals currently called Prince/ss are children, the Kents, and Princess Anne, both of whose husbands were commoners who refused peerage.

Wait, I don't get it. If a princess' husband refused peerage, why would she be referred to by his first name?

Another question: IIRC, the Middletons became nobility, when Kate married William (or am I confused?). If so, then is Meghan's family going to be awarded with titles, too?

Lilias

Quote from: Beorning on May 19, 2018, 03:38:51 PM
Wait, I don't get it. If a princess' husband refused peerage, why would she be referred to by his first name?

She wouldn't. Princess Anne has her own title. She's entitled to style herself Lady Laurence, as her second husband is a knight, but officially she still holds the title of her birth.

Quote from: Beorning on May 19, 2018, 03:38:51 PM
Another question: IIRC, the Middletons became nobility, when Kate married William (or am I confused?). If so, then is Meghan's family going to be awarded with titles, too?

Nope, everyone else is still and will remain a commoner, unless someone marries into a hereditary noble family, of which there aren't too many left.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

The Leader of IS seems to still be alive, in hiding, and trying to indoctrinate as many children as he can to keep his organization alive long after his group is destroyed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-clues-bolster-belief-that-isis-leader-is-still-alive-—-and-busy-with-a-chilling-new-mission/ar-AAxwC4Z?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1&ffid=gz

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 19, 2018, 09:44:03 AM
Also, the future list of British monarchs, in our lifetimes, if everything runs according to plan:

Charles III
William V
George VII
Not necessarily, George VI's name was Albert Frederick Arthur George, Edward VII was Albert Edward, Victoria was Alexandrina Victoria etc. so those regnal names aren't a given.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on May 20, 2018, 02:49:39 AM
Not necessarily, George VI's name was Albert Frederick Arthur George, Edward VII was Albert Edward, Victoria was Alexandrina Victoria etc. so those regnal names aren't a given.

Are there any limits to what name a royal can take?