Interest Check: Dark Series RP (based on Christine Feehan)

Started by Clio, October 31, 2009, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clio

A Dark Carpathian Roleplay

Dark Love: OOC
Dark Love: Profiles
Dark Love: Interest Check

So, LadySky and I were chatting, and we discovered that we both ADORED Christine Feehan and her Dark Series. It is a twist on the traditional vampire lore, and requires highly dominant men with a protective streak, and women to love them. Here is some information:

Christine Feehan's Official Site

Wiki Article on Feehan

Dark Series Wiki Article

Brief Synopsis: The Dark Series introduces the Carpathians, a powerful and ancient race. They have many gifts, including the ability to shape-shift, and extended life spans, living for thousands of years. Though they feed on human blood, they don't kill their human prey, and for the most part live among humans without detection. Despite their gifts, the Carpathians are on the edge of extinction. There have been few children born to them in the past few centuries, and those that have been born are all male and often die in the first year. It has been more than 500 years since a female has been born. In the absence of their female counterparts, also known as "lifemates", male Carpathians lose the ability to feel emotions and to see in color. The only feeling left to them is the thrill of making a kill. Once a male has done this, he loses his soul and "turns", becoming the monster of human legend, the vampire or the "undead". With so few females left, males are forced to make a stark choice: either become vampire or "greet the dawn" (i.e. commit suicide). However, when they do find a lifemate, the ability to see in colour and their emotions are restored to them, and their souls are saved.

An example plot from the first book in the series, Dark Prince:
Dark Prince introduces the Carpathians, a powerful and ancient race. They have many gifts, including the ability to shape-shift, and extended life spans, living well over many years. Though they feed on human blood, they don't kill their human prey, and for the most part live among them without detection. Despite their gifts, the Carpathians are on the edge of extinction. There have been few children born to them in the past few centuries, those that have been born are all male and often die in the first year. It has been more than 500 years since a female has been born. Without females, many of the males are turning, becoming vampires, the monsters of human legend. After 200 years, a male Carpathian loses the ability to feel emotions and see in color. These will only return to him when he finds his lifemate, the other half of his soul.

Mikhail Dubrinsky, Prince of the Carpathians and oldest among his people, has worked tirelessly for centuries to discover why so many of their children die in the first years. However, his efforts have come to no avail. It is at this time, when he is on the brink of despair and self-destruction that he meets a beautiful human psychic, Raven Whitney. Raven is a strong telepath, and has worked with the police to capture four serial killers. But her gift has come with a price: a life of isolation, and pain whenever she uses her gift. When he meets her, he is shocked and amazed when he suddenly is able to see colors in her presence; he realizes that she is his lifemate. Despite his joy, there is doubt in his mind. No human woman has ever been a lifemate to a Carpathian. All human females who were converted had become deranged creatures, feeding on children and had to be destroyed.

But he knows she is the only woman for him, the other half of his soul. He is determined to live as a human with her and to die when she does. However, this is not to be. Raven is attacked by fanatics, and he is forced to convert her to save her life. Her survival brings new hope to him and his people, for if one psychic human female can be a lifemate, surely there are others.

Okay! So, basically we need male Carpathians, and female lifemates. We will need an even number, but if you don't have a partner yet, no worries...just wait a bit! Also, I'm not sure how to pair people up, or to just "let it happen." Any ideas?

Signature by the amazing Amaris.

LadySky

*dances about happily* I am so excited for this! I already have a lifemate character in mind and she is human with some psychic ability.

As far as pairing goes, I would kind of like to pair up before the game starts so that we can discuss together how they meet and such....I kind of have an idea for my girl, that is why...hehehehe
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Autumn52

I am so down with this story. I have a character in mind already. I agree with LadySky that we should pair up before hand and discuss through PM what we want out of our characters and how they meet.

*jump up and down in excitement*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Belladonna1

OMG!  Another of my favorite authors/series!!!  Definately count me in- please!!! :)
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.   On's & Off's are up!

Clio

Yay! Now we just need boys...

Come on men! It's basically you being sexy dominate vampiric creatures! Who doesn't want that?

Xanatos

Well this does sound intriguing. I just never have read the books.

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 01:04:49 AM
Well this does sound intriguing. I just never have read the books.

No need. We can explain it, and there's info online.

Xanatos

Explain away if you wish. I do have one question just to clarify. Us males will start out mate less and emotion/color less, right? So my guy would be more or less a blank slate until he meets his lady? I am not fully clear on this whole part.

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 01:10:10 AM
Explain away if you wish. I do have one question just to clarify. Us males will start out mate less and emotion/color less, right? So my guy would be more or less a blank slate until he meets his lady? I am not fully clear on this whole part.

Yes. After a Carpathian turns 200 or so, if he hasn't found a lifemate, then his colors and emotions go. The only way he can get a "high" is by killing, although most try to avoid that. If they kill someone while feeding, then something happens in their mind that turns them vampire. Vampires are the evil version of a Carpathian, and most Carpathian males make it their life's goal to hunt and kill the Vampires. Anyway, when the male meets their lifemate, the colors and emotion return full force, and he knows immediately. However, she may not, as female humans and Carpathians are not the same. They are the light to the male's darkness, and although both will eventually need the other, it's only the male who knows initially. Most of Feehan's books go through them discovering the woman, trying to convince her, them falling in love, and him protecting her. Most also end with them getting pregnant, as continuing the race is most important.

A lifemate can be either a psychic human female, or a Carpathian female...although Carpathian women are very rare. I mean, those born Carpathian. Most of the men will turn the human lifemates Carpathian.

Does that make sense? Your character will be emotionless, colorless and dark. Usually on the verge of either killing to become vampire, or going into the light to die. When he meets the woman, he has something to live for...to protect.

LadySky

Christa you so very good at explaining! Very Very Nice!  ;D
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Dexter Wiggles

I haven't read these books, but it sounds interesting. I might join you all.
Got a job with a long commute so I'll not be able to post much for at least the next few weeks, probably only once or twice a day.

On's and Off's
Introduction

Rachubka

Showed interest earlier when the idea as in LadySky's idea thread. Just... haven't really brought up the nerve to build on it. Now, though, I'm glad someone else has!

Xanatos

Ah I see. That makes sense. Well I am good to go then.

LadySky

That is two males! Knew lots of girls might want this....happy to see male interest!

Clio

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 01, 2009, 09:36:06 AM
Christa you so very good at explaining! Very Very Nice!  ;D

Aww, thanks!

Quote from: Dexter Wiggles on November 01, 2009, 09:40:17 AM
I haven't read these books, but it sounds interesting. I might join you all.

Yay! Do it.... *stares down*

Quote from: Rachubka on November 01, 2009, 11:02:53 AM
Showed interest earlier when the idea as in LadySky's idea thread. Just... haven't really brought up the nerve to build on it. Now, though, I'm glad someone else has!

*smiles* I'm glad.

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 11:22:26 AM
Ah I see. That makes sense. Well I am good to go then.

Good, if you need anything else, then let me know.

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 01, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
That is two males! Knew lots of girls might want this....happy to see male interest!

Me too. Now, recruit if you can! We need boys!

Xanatos

So can we post character concepts in this thread, or you are you wanting to wait on that? Oh wait, we are supposed to chat with the ladies first before character creation yes?

Clio

Quote from: DarkXanatos on November 01, 2009, 12:49:46 PM
So can we post character concepts in this thread, or you are you wanting to wait on that? Oh wait, we are supposed to chat with the ladies first before character creation yes?

Hmm...Well, I'll open up a Profile thread later today, and you can post it there. Go ahead and post your bios, and I'll take a look and see about making suggestions to pairs. However, if you want to work it out individually, that's fine too, I just would appreciate an update as to what you're talking about and decisions you make.

LadySky

Xanatos

Roger! I will see what I can make up, but no guarantees I will have it soon, unfortunately. Have work today, and work in the middle of Monday, and then school on Tueseday, gah! So hopefully I can squeeze something in.

Duncan

Got room for one more vampire wanting to kill himself?

Until...he meets.....her!

>.>

<.<

LadySky

Just be sure he is not actually a vampire, once they become vampires they can never be redeemed. Carpathian males feel nothing and see no color but they do not kill their prey, they are honorable!  8-)

Duncan

*Winks*

How we gonna do that?  Will the others hunt down the vampire? 

Autumn52

The Carpathian males feed only enough off of one person to sustain themselves. They never kill a person they feed from and they feed from several people per night so as no to leave anyone to weak. They leave a false memory in the mind of the people they feed from to remain undetected.

They kill the vampires but do not feed off of them.

Huggles
Xandi
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Mr Self Destruct

I'm in.  I like the idea of choosing our partners before hand, as well. 

LadySky

Autumn52

I am so happy I am doing the Dance of Joy....

*Yeppie Dark Clown is in!!!!*

How many more guys do we need to get going?

Huggles to everyone who is in
Xandi

Belladonna1

Just for clarification....

Are we planning on having any of the core characters (male Carpathians) from the series? 

IE.
      Mikhail Dubrinski- the Prince of the Carpathian people

Gregori Daratranazoff - Mikhail's second in command,( as well as the defender/protector of the prince ),   the Carpathians strongest  , healer and fiercest warrior

Adrian & Julien Savage - twins, ancient carpathian warriors, Adrien hunts the vampires in America ( San Francisco)

etc....? 

There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.   On's & Off's are up!

Mr Self Destruct

I think I'd prefer an OC (original character), as I haven't read the series.

Belladonna1

QuoteI think I'd prefer an OC (original character), as I haven't read the series.

How about  an "OC" Leader, 2nd in command, etc,... then? 

Xanatos

I think we can have the original characters in the background, while we the players just make our own and interact with the originals or not.

Clio

I would rather not have canon characters, as they already have lifemates, and Feehan wrote their love stories so well! I think this should all be OC, although we can interact with or mention the core characters as long as they're not our main ones.

So the boys can still be OCs, and we can still be OCs. The hierarchy of the Carpathians can still be there (and I'll post a family tree soon), but we're all our own. Make sense?

And yay! Dark clown! *smooches*

Duncan, if you're a vampire, you can't have a lifemate...therefore, you can't have sex. Carpathians still drink blood, but they are not  called vampires.

Mr Self Destruct

I'm glad everyone's happy to see me. :D

I've got a few questions that the wiki and other sites didn't answer:

1) What is the setting for this story?  It is the Carpathian Mountains, as the name of our (anti)heroes suggests?
2) Is the setting modern day?
3) The carpathians can turn into animals...how many?  Is it just one type, or are there more?
4) What other powers to they possess?
5) How much does sunlight harm them?
6) Any other odd weaknesses or strengths?

Clio

Quote from: Dark Clown on November 02, 2009, 05:09:58 PM
I'm glad everyone's happy to see me. :D

I've got a few questions that the wiki and other sites didn't answer:

1) What is the setting for this story?  It is the Carpathian Mountains, as the name of our (anti)heroes suggests?
2) Is the setting modern day?
3) The carpathians can turn into animals...how many?  Is it just one type, or are there more?
4) What other powers to they possess?
5) How much does sunlight harm them?
6) Any other odd weaknesses or strengths?

1. Although her books can cover a variety of areas, I figure we can have ours set in the Carpathian mountains for now. Any foreign people (like my girl) can either have family there, are tourists, or are students.

2. Yes.

3. I think it depends on the man. Most turn into birds of prey, wolves or such. Animals that are native to the mountains of their home.

4. Many. They can control the weather. Basically, they are of the "earth." So anything earth related they can control. And they can shapeshift into creatures with wings, so they can fly.

5. A lot. As much as the vampires of the old. However, they can be out in twilight and early morning as long as it's cloudy. Vampires cannot be out in the sun at all.

6. I'll add more to this when I get home...basically, their biggest strength is soil. It heals them, restores them, etc...they are an "earth" race.

Duncan

Clio

Quote from: Duncan on November 02, 2009, 05:18:47 PM
Gotcha Carpathian is fine by me.

Although technically you could still play a vampire. In fact, do you girls remember Dark Gold? When a vampire kidnapped Alex, thinking that if he got a psychic human female, she could be his lifemate and turn him back to Carpathian? Then Aidan killed him?

So Duncan, if you wanted, you could be a vampire who thinks that one of the girls can be 'made' his lifemate. Kidnapping her, and raping her (I suppose), and then being hunted by her true Carpathian lifemate. You could either be killed, or get away, terrorizing the same girl...or maybe others. You still couldn't be paired up, but I suppose you could have sex by rape.

Either way, you'd be an evil and disgusting creature, but if you're really wanting to be called a 'vampire,' then that could work.

Xanatos

Just a note me and Bella have teamed up. We are still in the early stages of character discussion. Just a heads up like you wanted Christa.

Duncan

QuoteSo Duncan, if you wanted, you could be a vampire who thinks that one of the girls can be 'made' his lifemate. Kidnapping her, and raping her (I suppose), and then being hunted by her true Carpathian lifemate. You could either be killed, or get away, terrorizing the same girl...or maybe others. You still couldn't be paired up, but I suppose you could have sex by rape.

Pm will be sent to you on this idea.

Clio

Thanks for the heads up Xanatos. And Duncan, I think it might work. I'll talk to LadySky about it.

Xanatos

Hey Christa, where you wanting us to eventually post our characters in this thread or do you have a character thread up?

despickable

I am interested in playing along and if possible i would love to be partnered with Xandi. She is ok with that too. I hope that i can still be part of it all

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Clio

Quote from: despickable on November 04, 2009, 12:31:57 AM
I am interested in playing along and if possible i would love to be partnered with Xandi. She is ok with that too. I hope that i can still be part of it all

Of course. So Bella and Xanatos, and Despickable and Xandi.

If possible, can Xandi and Bella send me a PM or post here saying that they're okay with this as well? Thanks.

And Xanatos, I'll be getting a Profile thread up tonight hopefully, as well as an OOC.

Any ideas for the title? Here are my choices:

Dark Dreams

Dark Love

Dark Lust

Dark Stories

Dark Tales

-------

Thoughts? More options?

LadySky

Belladonna1

QuoteIf possible, can Xandi and Bella send me a PM or post here saying that they're okay with this as well? Thanks.

*nods head* yep, all good here! ;)

And I kind of like Dark Love or Dark Tales Oooor, what about Stories ( or Tales) of Dark Love..

Xanatos

Dark Dreams and Dark Love sounds good to me.

Cool, thanks Christa. Look forward to putting up my concept.

Clio

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 04, 2009, 04:38:56 PM
I love Dark Dreams or Stories! hehehe

Quote from: Bella on November 04, 2009, 04:46:22 PM
*nods head* yep, all good here! ;)

And I kind of like Dark Love or Dark Tales Oooor, what about Stories ( or Tales) of Dark Love..

--------------

Dark Love: 2
Dark Tales: 1
Dark Dreams: 2
Dark Stories: 1

Dark Lust: 0

Tales of Dark Love: 1
Stories of Dark Love: 1

---------

Rachubka

Autumn52

Thanks Christa, and I would love to be paired with despickable.

My vote for the title goes to Dark Stories

Clio

--------------

Dark Love: 3
Dark Tales: 1
Dark Dreams: 2
Dark Stories: 2

Dark Lust: 0

Tales of Dark Love: 1
Stories of Dark Love: 1

---------

LadySky

Dark Clown and I are pairing up! *waits for him to confirm*  ;D

Rachubka

Clio

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 04, 2009, 08:14:46 PM
Dark Clown and I are pairing up! *waits for him to confirm*  ;D

*sighs* I'm a little jealous...  :-[  ;)

Quote from: Rachubka on November 04, 2009, 08:24:14 PM
Geez, everyone's pairing up already. :|

I know! *is slightly sad*

Xanatos

I wouldn't mind having two ladies! I don't know if Bella is the jealous type or if she minds sharing... lol. I am partially serious and partially not. So.... >.> I just hope Bella does not come after me for even mentioning this. -laughs and looks around all paranoid like-

Clio

Quote from: Xanatos on November 04, 2009, 08:27:27 PM
I wouldn't mind having two ladies! I don't know if Bella is the jealous type or if she minds sharing... lol. I am partially serious and partially not. So.... >.> I just hope Bella does not come after me for even mentioning this. -laughs and looks around all paranoid like-

Lol. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with Carpathians. It is strictly one man to one woman. *sighs* That's what's going to make a group game hard...lol.

Xanatos

Awww, shucks. Thats no fun. Hope you lassies can get a man. I could play another strapping hunk. I am good at playing more than one character.

LadySky

And Dexter Wiggles posted interest, I am not sure where he is tonight but hopefully he is still interested....*looks about*  ;D

Rachubka

Heh... I'm terrible at playing male characters. I tend to lose interest pretty quick, and especially since I tend to make them either sickeningly suave, or ridiculously manly. So... no alternative there. Haha.

Dexter Wiggles

I'll be honest I'm still working on the whole very dominate thing, but I am still interested.
Got a job with a long commute so I'll not be able to post much for at least the next few weeks, probably only once or twice a day.

On's and Off's
Introduction

Belladonna1

* threatens to withhold certain favors,  of a sexual nature,  as Xanatos's lifemate should he mention the subject of more than one female  again*  ;) lol

Xanatos

-cringes but then suddenly realizes I am the dominate one- Hey! Get over here missy! -grabs lifemate and does bad bad things to her...- -grins-

Duncan

Blaed

Clio

LadySky

*claps and dances around merrily!* Yays! *smooches Fallen!*

Blaed

Clio

Blaed

Clio

LadySky

Mr Self Destruct

Yep, LadySky and I are teaming up.  And what a pair we'll make.....cue the evil laughter! lol

Blaed

Evil laughter is good... i like it when a woman can pull it off.

LadySky

Blaed

Clio

Quote from: FallenAngelNajdan on November 06, 2009, 08:46:06 PM
Dam right, just what I like!

Hey! I could do evil laughter, but it would ruin my whole 'good girl' image!

Blaed

Clio

LadySky

*smacks Christa's adorable bottom* Your so yummy!  ;D

Clio

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 06, 2009, 08:50:28 PM
*smacks Christa's adorable bottom* Your so yummy!  ;D

*yelps and smiles*

So are you, darling!

*smacks her bottom back*

LadySky

Belladonna1

*watches all the bottom smacking going on*

"Hey! What about me..?"

Blaed

LadySky

*rushes to Bella and laughs wickedly while swatting her plump booty with a ping pong paddle!*

Clio

Belladonna1

LadySky

LadySky

*squeeeeees!* I have been wanting to post that character for soooooo long!

Rachubka

Oof, still all alone! I guess I'll try and make a character profile to swoon someone. Hopefully... *fetal position*

Belladonna1

@Rachubka- lemme see if any of my RP partners would be interested in playing!!

Kalab

Bella informed me that you were looking for another male character. I'm interested if the spot is still open.
[imgwidth=500][/img]

TheVillain

Rach, I have to admit I usually avoid Vamp RPs but there's enough openness here to make things interesting. It looks like to get in you have to convince me.  :P

Although the "Morally neutral until 20, then go good or evil depending true love" is a bit odd.

When they say "of the earth", how strict is that? I'm picturing a carpathian who lost his memory in a vampire attack 4 or 5 years ago. He's noticed he's colorblind, has no real emotions, feeds on blood, has other strange "of the earth" powers- and he doesn't remember anything about the Carpathian/Vampire feud. He actually calls himself a vamp because he's comparing what he can do to what movie monsters can do.

Otherwise he's a Paris based thief in a game of cat and mouse with Rach's interpol detective. He's been close enough to her to think she's hot, but not enough to count as "met".
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Ashleebabe

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Clio

Quote from: cajundave on November 07, 2009, 12:16:13 AM
Bella informed me that you were looking for another male character. I'm interested if the spot is still open.

Quote from: TheVillain on November 07, 2009, 12:19:06 AM
Rach, I have to admit I usually avoid Vamp RPs but there's enough openness here to make things interesting. It looks like to get in you have to convince me.  :P

Although the "Morally neutral until 20, then go good or evil depending true love" is a bit odd.

When they say "of the earth", how strict is that? I'm picturing a carpathian who lost his memory in a vampire attack 4 or 5 years ago. He's noticed he's colorblind, has no real emotions, feeds on blood, has other strange "of the earth" powers- and he doesn't remember anything about the Carpathian/Vampire feud. He actually calls himself a vamp because he's comparing what he can do to what movie monsters can do.

Otherwise he's a Paris based thief in a game of cat and mouse with Rach's interpol detective. He's been close enough to her to think she's hot, but not enough to count as "met".
Quote from: Ashleebabe on November 09, 2009, 05:07:43 PM
Is there room for more females?

Yes, yes and yes. There is always room for more of both, although you might have to wait a few days to get a partner. Go to the OOC link on the first page, and we can all chat about it over there!

Rhapsody

I've only ever read the one book... Dark Desire, I think?  The one about the chick who was the granddaughter of ... Rhiannon, I think?  It was a long, long time ago.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

MzNurse

I wanted in, but it looks like you have more females than males. Good luck and I hope it goes well.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

Eclipsed Northern Star

hmmm interesting im curious but you seem to be unbalanced right now XD

Clio

Don't bow out just yet! You can go ahead and post your bio, and when more men come, you can stake your claim! This isn't the end...lol.

Nightshade Symphony

I'm really interested in playing in this game!

I got into Christine's story through my friend. I got to the book with Aiden I think? I didn't get far in the series but I adore it.

Are there any more spots for females? Please please?
{ And it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel ... is just a freight train coming your way }

.·´¯`·-> AFK's & IOU's -+- Hot's & Cold's <-·´¯`·.

'Religion is like a Penis. It's fine to have one, it's fine to be proud of it.
But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my throat.'

FeBurns

Hello all.  Is this still open?  Are there any unmatched players?

Edited to add that I've read most of the series.

FeBurns

Clio

Eh...it's been kind of dead, and lately it's only been Najdan and me playing. However! If a couple more guys join, then you guys are welcome to join in!

TheVillain

I think I can be convinced to try again with the thief, but I do have a few projects going. May be a bit.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.