Hail to the King, baby. (Duke Nukem Forever)

Started by Wolfy, January 23, 2011, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

According to TV tropes, after Gearbox Revealed that they would be releasing Duke Nukem Forever, and posted the trailer, DNF was the highest Trending topic on Twitter for 30 hours. O-o

Soo...there are still many fans out there that are waiting for May. :D

Inkidu

Is Duke Nukem even culturally relative anymore? :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on January 28, 2011, 05:32:40 PM
Is Duke Nukem even culturally relative anymore? :\

Always bet on Duke, Inki...With Duke Nukem Forever, I'm sure he'll make a comeback. :P

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on January 28, 2011, 07:33:11 PM
Always bet on Duke, Inki...With Duke Nukem Forever, I'm sure he'll make a comeback. :P
And they'll release Starcraft Ghost too.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on January 28, 2011, 07:46:07 PM
And they'll release Starcraft Ghost too.

Nah.. you're being too hopeful. I mean would activision revist something that was already developed and money spent on? Nah.. pour good cash down a whole instead.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 28, 2011, 07:53:46 PM
Nah.. you're being too hopeful. I mean would activision revist something that was already developed and money spent on? Nah.. pour good cash down a whole instead.
I was being sarcastic.

Duke is kind of superficial for the modern movements in video gaming. I don't know how well he'll hold up in an industry that's trying to validate itself as an art form to the rest of the world.

Still, it might succeed because there are millions who will buy it just to fulfill their ancient adolescent dreams.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on January 28, 2011, 08:01:31 PM
I was being sarcastic.

Duke is kind of superficial for the modern movements in video gaming. I don't know how well he'll hold up in an industry that's trying to validate itself as an art form to the rest of the world.

Still, it might succeed because there are millions who will buy it just to fulfill their ancient adolescent dreams.

Please.. us old fogies prefer the term.. 'Nostalgia.'. Tis more dignified.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 28, 2011, 08:01:31 PM
Duke is kind of superficial for the modern movements in video gaming.
You're talking about a modern gaming environment that creates such artsy, high-concept games as Kane & Lynch and Dead Rising 2?

Somehow I think it will still have an audience.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 28, 2011, 08:06:01 PM
Please.. us old fogies prefer the term.. 'Nostalgia.'. Tis more dignified.
Hey I'm nostalgic about my share of games too, but I've never been one to hop on the wanton violence and sex train. Plus I was way too little to play Duke Nukem, yet I played Doom... go figure.

Edit: Kayne and Lynch reviewed sub par and Dead Rising 2's story was surprisingly deep.

Shjade

If Duke Nukem has some moments of insightful commentary you think that'll make it any less a cheesecake shootemup game?

Dead Rising 2's concept is butchery of zombies (and some people) while dressing yourself in ridiculous outfits and duct-taping swords onto your swords so you can chop while you chop. If you don't think that's superficial...you have an interesting skew on concept interpretation.

As for Duke itself, eh. There was a comment I redacted on another forum because it just seemed like it'd be too inflammatory in that atmosphere, but on this one it seems like it'd go over with less ZOMGWUT, so I can sum up my thoughts on it as follows:

I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem 3D for at least quite a few months. I shot aliens, froze guys with jetpacks so they'd fall and shatter, shrank and stomped on pig-cops, spent far too long trying to find ways to make the strippers and slime-covered bikini girls do more interesting things, and generally had a good time.

Then I turned fourteen.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

How about the heartfelt story of pain and loss of Chuck Greene as he tries to save his daughter? How, about the message that if you can cure a zombie why should you just wantonly kill them? I like the opening scene the best. A crowd of people ignoring their troubles over shallow bloodsport.

It's there. It's entirely possible not to go around wearing a banana hammock and riding a tricycle. All I know is a lot of old classics are getting deeper remakes. Tomb Raider for instance. Games are more or less maturing. Blowing up someone into little bits just because is not floating like it used to.

Wolfy

Well if you want to look at it in an artistic way, Inki, compare Duke Nukem to other "Vulgar" artwork. Just because something is Vulgar, Obscene, or Disturbing, doesn't make it any less of an artwork. o3o

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on January 29, 2011, 12:39:42 AM
Well if you want to look at it in an artistic way, Inki, compare Duke Nukem to other "Vulgar" artwork. Just because something is Vulgar, Obscene, or Disturbing, doesn't make it any less of an artwork. o3o
Yes, but vulgarity, obscenity, and whatnot just because you can be vulgar, obscene, and whatnot is not art.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 29, 2011, 06:54:42 PM
Yes, but vulgarity, obscenity, and whatnot just because you can be vulgar, obscene, and whatnot is not art.

It's more of a philosophical thing, really. Stepping on values, all that. Yeah!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 29, 2011, 08:33:56 PM
It's more of a philosophical thing, really. Stepping on values, all that. Yeah!
I guess.

Wolfy

Then don't think of it as being vulgar just because it can...in fact, think of it as being a parody. :D Everything "Bad" or "Vulgar" in video games taken to absurd, Beyond the impossible, 'turn the dial up to 11' levels, if you will.

Plus, Inki, any art form has to have the proverbial "envelope" pushed in order to expand and grow.

Arandrocles

Absurdity and fun is what games are all about, right?

I don't believe I have played a game of any sort without its share of absurdity. Even tag is absurd, you go and smack some one and tell them they are it and run away as fast as you can...

Kunoichi

Kotaku has a first impression of the game up.

Apparently, it's the kind of game that grows on you over time...

QuoteThere are the little things, like the fact that Duke’s health is measured entirely by his ego, something you can replenish or increase not with health packs, but with looks in the mirror, weight lifting and general self back-pattery.

There are the games within the game, like the surprisingly fun Duke Nukem pinball machine and the slots. There is the return to puzzles in a shooter, something not often seen in games like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Oniya

QuoteThere are the little things, like the fact that Duke’s health is measured entirely by his ego, something you can replenish or increase not with health packs, but with looks in the mirror, weight lifting and general self back-pattery.

My god, it's like Golgo XIII all over again!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Heaven Sent Blossom

The second largest problem with the "games as art" movement, is that there are only about ten guys in the industry emotionally mature enough to spearhead it.
And none of them are in positions of real power.

As for Duke, honestly Gearbox have let me down so far with the mechanics of their games, so I don't imagine they will with this. Granted I'm not exactly excited for it but I certainly think it will be a nice change of pace from CoD and it's billion generic clones.

Wolfy

Can't wait for this...:D

I'm so getting the collector's edition. lol...I'm tempted to buy Borderlands: GoTY edition just to get first access to the demo.

Shjade

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on February 11, 2011, 01:12:44 AM
As for Duke, honestly Gearbox have let me down so far with the mechanics of their games, so I don't imagine they will with this. Granted I'm not exactly excited for it but I certainly think it will be a nice change of pace from CoD and it's billion generic clones.
I thought of Borderlands as the alternative to the CoD-type FPS games, which was also a Gearbox project. Then again, as FPS's go, Borderlands is...iffy. It has the RPG-shooter issue of inaccurate guns that always annoys me and enemies that get crazy-high health later on, up to the point where you hit max level and find a few legendary caustic/fire/lightning guns and everything becomes dead when you look at it.

I dunno. It might work out okay. I had to admit to grinning at the Ego Shield idea when I read about it in The Escapist's preview review.
◕/◕'s

Heaven Sent Blossom

Brothers in Arms is a much better gauge of how Gearbox do "traditional" shooter mechanics.
Also, if I remember correctly, the core of Gearbox were part of the teams that worked on all the old Duke games before Pitchford decided to split. So they remain untarnished by the amount of time that DN:F spent in development hell, but still get to bask in the glory of having worked on DN:3D.

Oniya

Preordering has proved risky where this game is concerned.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17