I need help with Linux!!!

Started by Jag, April 03, 2009, 07:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

This is probably not the right place for this, but my roommate loaded his laptop with Linux Sabayon last night and now we can't get the thing to connect to the internet.

I can't figure it out as I have no experience in Linux.

Can anyone help us out?
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

Jag

Quote from: Trieste on April 03, 2009, 08:00:13 AM
Have you tried Google?

Yes...and with no success.

I plugged him into the router with our network cable so that he could get online, but we can't figure out how to get it to connect wirelessly. I can't find where to set up the wireless or enter in our network key.

Vekseid

Is this supposed to be locked? >_>

In order to make use of WPA keys, you need to use wpa supplicant. Otherwise assuming you have a recent enough version and the drivers you can just add the keys under wlan to /etc/network/interfaces

Jag

My roommate gave up on it and is reinstalling Windows.

I live with people that like to screw with their computers and expect me to know how to fix them. >.<

Oniya

God, I know how that feels.  I have to remind them that I got out of the tech-support arena before Vista.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

I used to do hardware support. HARDWARE. They are screwing with software....they don't seem to get the difference. Yet both of them have various degrees of college education in computers and technology. Me? I worked for a Dell Hardware Support call center...Now I work with software support for PDA devices, not computers.

At some point during the day this was lost on them. >.<

Trieste

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on April 04, 2009, 04:25:10 AM
I used to do hardware support. HARDWARE. They are screwing with software....they don't seem to get the difference. Yet both of them have various degrees of college education in computers and technology. Me? I worked for a Dell Hardware Support call center...Now I work with software support for PDA devices, not computers.

At some point during the day this was lost on them. >.<

I've got a simple way of explaining it.  If you can throw it across the room, it's hardware.  If all you can do is swear at it, it's software.  Then ask them which one they want you to do.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kazae

Damn, missed the thread.

Were I here in time I'd have asked which version of Linux they installed, and could have walked through the process of getting connected, but...well, ces't la vie.

That said, if they want to TRY linux, without installing, have them fire up a knoppix disk or an Ubuntu Live-CD, so they can get a feel for everything without having to go through the entire OS dance.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...