Clue--freeform mystery rp and game (interest check)

Started by barcode, October 21, 2010, 12:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barcode

Hi all,

I once ran a "Clue" (as in the board game) role play on another site; it was rather successful, and I was wondering if there was any interest in such a thing around here.

Basically, players would take on one of the ten traditional characters from Clue and Clue: Master Detective (Miss Scarlet, Professor Plum, Miss Peach, etc.), in England, 1934.  The atmosphere would be that of an Agatha Christie-style murder mystery.  There would be both a freeform, i.e., story-based, role play, but also a game aspect.  I adapted the rules for Clue for an online forum setting.  Or, alternatively, it could just be a freeform role play without the game aspect.

The game works best with a minimum of six players; there would be a maximum of about ten.  Although players mainly take on the classic roles, there's room for each player to also play necessary minor NPC's as well. 

If anyone is interested, I can go into more details about how the game would work. 

--barcode
The eagle suffers little birds to sing,
And is not careful what they mean thereby,
Knowing that with the shadow of his wings
He can at pleasure stint their melody.
Titus Andronicus – IV, 4

Despaireaux

I am very much still interested in this idea, though I don't know which character I'd like to play, I usually just make up a new character for every rp. But I'm sure once I remember their backgrounds ill find one i like, and please do elaborate more on the concept.
Did you know life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate?

barcode

It is Monday, August the 15th, 1934.  The oppressively hot and humid weather has made escape to the pastoral countryside a dream for many; but when you received an invitation from Mr. John Boddy to join him, as well as some other, unspecified guests, at his estate in Devon, your feelings were, suffice it to say, mixed.  Your relationship with the enigmatic Mr. Boddy may have begun in any number of ways--friendship, patronage, business, employment, among others--and perhaps that relationship remains intact.  Yet he has become more than just an affable companion, a generous benefactor or a shrewd associate: now, a more sinister facet to your relationship has developed.  On the surface, his invitation for a little holiday in the countryside seems cordial enough, but hides an ominous promise.  What is his hidden agenda?  What lurks beneath the surface of his pleasant, patrician mien?

Mr. Boddy never gives anything away for free.  Will you be able to pay the price?  Or will Mr. Boddy find that one of his guests isn't as docile as they seem?

--------------------

"Clue" is a murder mystery roleplay.  There are two aspects to the roleplay:  one, a freeform game; the second, a mystery game adapted from the rules of "Clue" where the players try to find out Who killed Mr. Boddy, Where, and with What.  At the beginning of the game, one character, weapon and room will be randomly chosen to be Who, What and Where.  The player chosen as the murderer must keep this secret, and though they appear to be playing, they actually are not.  The murderer cannot kill any of the other players (sorry, we're not playing And Then There Were None!).  Once enough people have joined the game, I'll post these rules in more detail.

Players choose to be one of ten classic Clue characters:

Monsieur Brunette:   Sergeant Gray:   Mr. Green:   Colonel Mustard:

Miss Peach:   Mrs. Peacock:   Professor Plum:   Madame Rose:

Miss Scarlet:   Mrs. White:

Players should develop their character's biography based on the picture given: consider it a writing prompt.  This is meant to promote the atmosphere of the game and not stifle creativity.  (In the past, without such guides, I've gotten a whole game where everyone was a studly 20-something dude or smexy 20-something babe, and that's just not Clue.)  Once you choose your character, I'll PM you your potential "motive" for murder.

You should be willing to be descriptive in your posts--no one- or two-liners, please.  Also, you're playing the game, too, which involves interaction with other players.  Even if you can't promise to post every single day, you should be able to play the game every day.  This would involve just sending and, possibly, answering a PM from another character about your cards.  A one sentence answer is enough--no extensive roleplay required.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
The eagle suffers little birds to sing,
And is not careful what they mean thereby,
Knowing that with the shadow of his wings
He can at pleasure stint their melody.
Titus Andronicus – IV, 4

pendarious

i might be interested in this....it intreagues me and i always did love clue
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Zaakmaal

Clue was one of my favorite movies growing up. The books were just as hokey, but still rather funny. Its a toss up between the snappy Mr. Green or addle-brained  Prof. Plum. I will post my choice of character and a sheet when I am more awake.

"The revolver isn't empty..."
"Yes it is!"
"No it's not!"
"It was 1+2+2+1, or was it 1+1+2+2, maybe it was 1+1+1+2+1 or was it... "*BANG* (1+1+2+1)

Haibane

This is a great idea and gets my interest. In Britain the game is called 'Cluedo' though I doubt there are any material differences to what I am familiar with.

I'm happy to play any of the female roles.

Rhedyn

I like this idea a lot...I'm a sucker for murder mystery games *grins*

I'd be happy to play Mrs White or Madame Rose depending on who everyone else wants to play.