Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Interest/GM Check)

Started by Latooni Subota, March 15, 2012, 01:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latooni Subota

Okay, now I'm really scraping the bottom of the obscurity barrel here, trying to drum up interest/GMship for a Shin Megami Tensei game. XD

For those of you that don't know, the Devil Survivor subset of Megaten games are the stories of groups of young people surviving what is effectively the end of days, with the help of the Demon Summoning Program to use demons to protect themselves and fight for their goals. This leads to dealing with panicked people, cults, the army, and all sorts of other groups while the main group tries to figure out what's going on and fix things . . . through any number of crazy means up to and including killing god, restarting the world, and editing humanity's free will. Depending on the setting/story, of course.

I've always been a fan of near/post-apocalyptic games, as well as SMT, so I'm sure this could work out interestingly. No idea on what sort of system would work well for it, but hey, I'm not planning to GM it. There's always room for sexy if that's the group/gm's liking, or it could be played primarily for story, with the sexy only where it would be relevant/nifty/whatever.

Uh . . do note I'm rather hoping for an honest to goodness GM, rather than a GMPC, you know? Feel free to ask questions, volunteer GMship, etc . .
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

evangel

Sounds fairly interesting. I'll be down for this if we can find a GM!

TheHangedOne

Holy shit! Ahahahaah! YES! You know, I have often thought of posting this exact same thread, but figured nobody would know it.

I am totally behind joining this game, if we can get a GM. I just don't have the organizational skills to be a GM.

Also, other idea: Anybody familiar with Digital Devil Saga?  :D I think that could be fun, too (just my two cents, though). Even cooler could be a fusion of the two?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Latooni Subota

Digital Devil Saga would be an entiiiiiirely different game. >.>

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Solstice

...Oh goodness.

Do want.

So much.

I'm sort of a sucker for MegaTen. :s

...Hrm. I would consider GMing, though if I did I'd like a co-GM, for... help running / moral support (mainly moral support)? I've GMed extensively before, mostly for PW (persistent world) games. I've run forum-based storylines in the past, but that was... many, many years ago.

I mean, don't get me wrong--if a potential GM shows up, I'd be 100% onboard with just playing. But if we can't find one, I'd be happy to GM or co-GM it.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Latooni Subota

Well, if you ran it, you'd have three players all ready to go Solstice, which is a lovely size for a game iirc. lol

Solstice

I sort of feel like a DeSu game would benefit from a few more players, though perhaps that's just me. As a setting, it seems like it'd benefit greatly from differing viewpoints on how to proceed, handle the inevitable crises, and so on.

And while I do have some ideas for GMing, I'd want a week or so to clear my schedule up (got exams coming up, wheeee college...). If I do wind up running such a game, I've got a plot idea that I think would... work, brewing.

Oh, and hey, Hanged. :s

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Solstice

Pre-ty good. Ye'self?

So, uh, "progress" update, I guess? Yeah, I should be able to GM, but will probably need a week or two, anyone who's... interested? Could PM me about ideas for such a game, help brainstorm before things get started to make it more appealing to all involved, and hopefully we'd be able to pick up a few players along the way.

Unless, of course, Latooni or someone can find an awesome GM to sweep in and run this at the drop of a hat. :s

Questions for those who are interested, though, I suppose...
1) Would people like it to take place in Japan/Tokyo? It's the classic setting for the series, and I imagine most of us know little enough about it that we wouldn't look too silly compared to one another.
2) Would the "seven days" formula be preferred?
3) For those who're interested and have played both games--more like DeSu1, or more like DeSu2? e.g. Alone in the world as it's falling apart, or promptly scooped up by a group that has some idea of what's going on?

TheHangedOne

Hangin' in there.  8-)

1.) Works well enough for me.
2.) Not sure on what this means, probably because Devil Survivor is the only series I haven't played.
3.) Alone in the world sounds more appealing to me.

No other thoughts/ideas at the moment, but if I come up with one, I'll be sure to post.
Check out my poet tree!

Solstice

Ah-ha.

WRT #2: The Devil Survivor games are both fairly formulaic. A cataclysm happens, and then humanity (read: the protagonists) has seven days to fix stuff before End of the Word in one form or another (well, the world itself or just "the world as we know it").

In a forum game it might add a sense of structure and provide a clear finish point, but it could also end up being stifling. It wouldn't necessarily have to be "seven days", but just "an amount of time until the world is well and truly borked."

TheHangedOne

Ahh, that makes sense. And I think something like that could be cool.

By the way, their is an SMT homebrew system I have on hand, if anybody wanted to make this a system based game. However, I am just as happy keeping it freeform, I just figured I'd throw that out there for everyone to discuss/consider.
Check out my poet tree!

Solstice

I'd be interested in seeing a copy, actually.

Not for this, so much--I tend to think freeform's fine, and rightly or wrongly have faith that people won't go overboard with it--but just because the notion of it piques my interest. :s

Hrm, I feel like we're starting to de-rail this topic. :z

Latooni Subota

1: I'd like a big metropolitan city, tokyo or otherwise. Just like in zombie survival situations, lots of places to hide and scavange supplies from.

2: I don't think we need to limit it to 7 days. Maybe we can take some inspiration from Nocturne and have it be that this is just how the world is, until someone gets off their ass and fixes it?

3: See above. DeSu2 with a sprinkling of Nocturne?

Ember Star

Hello all. TheHangedMan invited me to this thread.

May I say I am very interested in this group. I have kinda RP'd in a Megami Tensei group off and on for two years. Though I have never very active in the group, that is mainly because the group was mostly dead when I got involved. But I did follow the group across two sited because I liked it so much. I don't think I'm GM materiel simply because I am fairy new to this site and don't know what's all involved in GM'ing here. Also because I have never played the game (though I plan to get the 3DS one). I do however think I might make a handy assistant with set up, plot, and planning.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

TheHangedOne

Well, Solstice has already taken the position of GM with me as co-GM, so really, Evil, I just wanted to bring in another player. ;) Plus, you were looking, so I figure, hey, two birds with one stone.
Check out my poet tree!

Kineas

DID SOMEBODY SAY SHIN MEGAMI TENSAI?

Please let me join. I want to play. o.o!

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Kineas

^^ it's been a while, hasn't it? Kinda cool to see a few familiar faces in a new shin megami interest check.

TheHangedOne

:-[ I have an atrocious memory.  What rp were we in together?
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Kineas

Yes. Yes it was. X3

Latooni joined that too, iirc. I'm all kinds of pleased and amused that I started visiting this site again in time to catch this underway! =3

Ember Star

Well count me in when you get it ready. I still have my two Velvet Room characters that I'm sure will transfer over to this new group with nothing more than some slight modifications
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Latooni Subota