News:

Main Menu

COMIC GEEKS Я US

Started by LunarSage, February 29, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on August 10, 2012, 07:39:13 PM
And I feel you on the Loeb thing. Guy has been terrible ever since his loss but he gets paired up with some great artists and basically says to them "What do you REALLY want to draw? I can make it happen!" and then everything is great to look at but so terribly painful to actually try and read.
It's a shame because the guy was super talented back in the day.

Alright so's, I just got the Ultimate X TPB off Ebay, cuz Arthur Adams rulez, of course.  I probably won't read it any time soon.  Anybody read it?  Does it suck?  Any good besides the art?  Don't spoil the story for me, of course, but general opinions would be great.

I still have my life-size Arthur Adams Wolverine cardboard stand-up from like 1990, folded up in a closet.  Probably not pristine enough to be valuable, but maybe it'll be worth something someday.  Hell, I kept the mailing box; does that help?  hehehe

Currently I'm reading Mike Sekowsky-Gardner Fox Justice League, which is before my time and totally awesome.  (Got a damaged copy of the first DC Archives HC off Ebay for next to nuthin', hehe.)  They don't make it like that anymore, let me tell ya.  ;)  *feels older than fucking hell*

P.S. What are you reading at the moment, and who's it by?  New or old.  I wanna know.

Falanor

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on August 10, 2012, 07:39:13 PM
The basic gist of my problems with DC is that it seems like everything is over designed, with the gold standard being a 12 year old from the 90's idea of what is cool, edgy and dark.
It's kind of sad when you consider how they spent a good portion of the "X-TREME!" phase of comics back in the 90's still writing love letters to the Silver Age, only now they're writing love letters to the worst things about comics for the most part. I blame Steve Lobdell and hope he falls off a ladder.
Also they managed to make Justice League boring (and also kind of creepy), and that's just crazy.
Quote from: rick957 on August 11, 2012, 01:00:21 AM
This is so horrifically and utterly true.  From what I've heard, at least two of the major players in early 90s Marvel superhero comics -- Jim Lee, and one of the execs whose name escapes me -- are directly responsible for the New 52 initiative, and it shows.  The costume redesigns on the major characters are an absolute embarrassment, IMO, and reek of 20-years-ago.  Why are so many comics buyers apparently untroubled by this? 

Both of these were the reason I went into my FLCS today and removed all the DC from my pull list.  I'm going back to Valiant.

Callie Del Noire

Let's see.. the Ultimate Marvel line.. (still think whoever does the Ultimates needs a good slap or ten), Atomic Robo.. DC is down to Detective, All-Star Cowboys, and Batman.. (I LOATH Damian Wayne..who thought that kid was a good character.)

rick957

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 18, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
the Ultimate Marvel line.. (still think whoever does the Ultimates needs a good slap or ten)

Just curious:  then how come it's one of the few things you keep buying?

QuoteAll-Star Cowboys

Little help, Callie or anybody?  I googled this out of curiosity and got nothin'.  I'd like to see a good Western comic just because it would be so different, durnit.  :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: rick957 on August 18, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
Just curious:  then how come it's one of the few things you keep buying?

Little help, Callie or anybody?  I googled this out of curiosity and got nothin'.  I'd like to see a good Western comic just because it would be so different, durnit.  :)

I'm holding out hope that the return of Cap will make things go better..

Sorry.. All-Star WESTERNS.. Jonah Hex, Amadeus Arkham..

and for Robo.. here is a taste of Tesladyne

Atomic Robo: Employee Orientation

Heaven Sent Blossom

I'm reading Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye and recommend that everybody else do the same. Don't trade wait on it, grab it either in singles from your local or throw down for a 12 issue sub from the Marvel website. If you like street level heroes and/or 70's pulp then this is tailor made for you. Even if you don't like this things try issue one, because it's really good beyond simple fondness for the aesthetic.

Also in a stunning twist I will be picking up Gambit because the first issue was really good. Yes, that's right, something involving Gambit is actually worthwhile. Nobody is more shocked at this development than I am.

Other than that I'm not really keeping up with anything fresh (although I will probably buy everything Remender is on as part of Marvel Now because he has great ideas) but instead I'm going back reading old stuff,  like Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider run that I heard was amazing but never got around to picking up before.

LunarSage

I can't afford comics right now, but I'm interested to know if Jubilee has been getting any good stories since her turning.  I try and tell myself that bad Jubilee stories are better than no Jubilee stories at all... but I'm not sure I believe it.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Falanor

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 18, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
(I LOATH Damian Wayne..who thought that kid was a good character.)

Since you're referencing the one in Batman and Robin that'd be Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert.

Quote from: rick957 on August 18, 2012, 07:05:46 PM
hehehe

What?  Valiant was enjoyable from a story perspective and remained fairly solid on internal continuity...until Deathmate...the rebirth of that company has been extremely good.  Plus it gets me my Cary Nord art fix.

rick957

Oh, okay.  Sorry mate, I misunderstood.

WildCat

*collects comic geek card*
*reluctant to post for fear that I won't check back again*

But....

In most cases I find Ultimate Marvel either better than (Spider Man) or less annoying than (Fantastic Four) regular Marvel. (Of course, I haven't read past the Death Of Spiderman storyline so... this could change.)

And seriously--they got Orson Scott Card to write the Ultimate Iron Man thing.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: WildCat on August 19, 2012, 05:13:35 PM
And seriously--they got Orson Scott Card to write the Ultimate Iron Man thing.

To be fair OSC is the only real black mark against the Ultimate universe until they let Loeb loose on the whole thing.
Booyah.

Quote from: LunarSage on August 18, 2012, 08:45:15 PM
I can't afford comics right now, but I'm interested to know if Jubilee has been getting any good stories since her turning.  I try and tell myself that bad Jubilee stories are better than no Jubilee stories at all... but I'm not sure I believe it.
Have there ever been good Jubilee stories? I struggle to recall any. I think she might be dead now, again, honestly I don't know.

Quote from: Falanor on August 18, 2012, 10:58:00 PM
What?  Valiant was enjoyable from a story perspective and remained fairly solid on internal continuity...until Deathmate...the rebirth of that company has been extremely good.  Plus it gets me my Cary Nord art fix.

Yeah Valiant has a lot of good, fun stuff going on right now. They're probably the second best behind only Marvel. In some instances their stuff is better than Marvel in fact.

In other news I'm rereading Batgirl and oh man this is making me hate the editorial decision to remove Cass Cain from continuity. Her book was really strong.

Also I'm just going to throw out there that Damian Wayne is a swell character, sorry he just is. Any time he's in volume 3 of Batgirl the book improves (and it's a damn good book to begin with) and Batman & Robin? Well I can't speak on it since the reboot but before hand it was one of the best comics around.

LunarSage

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on August 20, 2012, 02:52:49 AM
Have there ever been good Jubilee stories? I struggle to recall any. I think she might be dead now, again, honestly I don't know.

There have been, yes.  She's really a remarkable character in my opinion.  My favorite comic book character of all time.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on August 20, 2012, 07:32:31 AM
There have been, yes.  She's really a remarkable character in my opinion.  My favorite comic book character of all time.

Too bad they turned her into a big chested Vampire, killing half her character.  No pun intended.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Chris Brady

Hate double posting, but I heard that Superman and Wonder Woman are now an item.  More than the fling they had in the 80s.

And I'm thinking to myself...  About damn time.  Yes, yes, I know Lois Lane and all that...  But I keep remembering "Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue Paper", and a quote about a teenage Superman leaving bullet holes in the walls whenever he masturbates...

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

I remember that with Will Smith, but somehow I can't even picture Superman doing that...

Chris Brady

Given that Superman is MARRIED to Lois Lane (at the moment, or was) I sure as hell can.  ;D

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 01, 2012, 08:37:55 PM
Given that Superman is MARRIED to Lois Lane (at the moment, or was) I sure as hell can.  ;D

The DC Universe was reset.  Superman and Lois Lane were never married in the timeline.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LunarSage

*Is so glad Marvel just uses a sliding timeline and has never felt the need to reset their universe*

((One More Day aside... *kicks Quesada for that travesty*))

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: LunarSage on September 01, 2012, 11:58:50 PM
*Is so glad Marvel just uses a sliding timeline and has never felt the need to reset their universe*

I don't think that OMD was GOOD, but everything after that has been stellar.  We've gotten the best Lizard story ever, the best Chameleon story ever, the best Spider-Man stories since pre-ASM 121.  Dan Slott has been seriously knocking it out of the park with Big Time and Ends of the Earth and Spider Island.  He's got so many plot lines just whizzing about everywhere.  And?  I like Peter Parker single.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LunarSage

IMO, the guy deserved the happiness he had with MJ, considering how much life just shit on him otherwise.  My main beef with OMD though is that Mephisto -never- had the kind of power necessary to undo reality and time like he did in that story.  That's Infinite Gauntlet level power or at the very least full powered Cosmic Cube power... and why would Mephisto bargain with Thanos for a cosmic cube if he had the power to reshape reality anyway?  In my eyes, it's sloppy writing with little to no regard for continuity, something Marvel always prided itself on adhering to.

PhantomPistoleer

I totally forgot that he served Thanos in the War of the Gems.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

RecklessRapscallion

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

PhantomPistoleer

I don't really care for Transmetro, but I really, really, really like Planetary.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on September 01, 2012, 11:58:50 PM

Do it again.. and again.. please.. I'm still pissed with the 'Steve Rogers isn't relevant' crap he was spouting when he 'killed' him.