Introduction to Pathfinder Game (for newbies!) - interest and sign up

Started by eBadger, October 15, 2017, 06:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eBadger

Update: The character creation/chat thread is up! 

Since my return to E, I've seen several comments from people interested in learning how to play Pathfinder or the D&D series of systems.  I'm feeling the desire to kick off a game to get myself invested - so hopefully the interest materializes and we can make this happen!

This would be a short introductory game for players with little or no experience.  We will walk through character creation together to make basic characters.  Then we'll play through an evening at a tavern where our characters will role play, make some skill rolls and have some simple combat. 

This will NOT be a full fledged adventure (although when this intro ends, starting a new game with me as game master, or joining another game together, would be a logical step).  It will be slow and plot-light and not totally comprehensive (think the first intro to a video game, where you're taught to do a few things and given a chance to practice, for a basic comfort to start and add more knowledge later). 

I'm open to a couple experienced players, but keep in mind you'll be a teachers assistant: take a supportive role, follow my lead and don't try to introduce a ton of content on your own, and don't expect a deep adventure.

Questions?  Ask away! 

Want to join?  I'm asking for a commitment to 2-3 posts per week and some time on your own to read rules and do homework.  All the rules and references are online and free.  Don't make a character yet, just let me know how experienced you are. 

vastowen456

I'm not a total newbie, I've played quite a lot of 5e, but I'd be interested in learning pathfinder, since there seems to be a lot more interest in that on E. Sign me up! :)
"Stop procrastinating, and get to work dammit."

~ Everyone

Dragongoddess

Total newb here and once he's approved, it's possible I may know someone else who might be interested.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Hi there.

Fairly well versed at D&D 3.5, but have done very little with Pathfinder, so I'm be curious.

eBadger

Yay interest!  Dragon, what's his name/is he in the process?  Even if he's not approved when we start it should be pretty simple to catch up. 

Chulanowa

I'm well-versed in pathfinder, but would be happy to join in and offer help with the neophytes  ;D Especially with the chance of going past the tavern at some point.

Kaspider

Is Pathfinder and d&d not the same thing?

Sadly, I don't even know the definition of pathfinder but from what I searched, it involves high fantasy I take it.

I'm interested in learning this.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

Chulanowa

Pathfinder is basically a continuation of the 3.5th edition of D&D; Wizards of the Coast made the framework of the game open-source, so after they discontinued 3.5 for 4th, Paizo took up the system, tweaked it a little, and made pathfinder out of it. if you're familiar with the 3.5 system, or D20 systems in general, it's basically just the same.

Yeah, by default it's high fantasy, though the setting published by Paizo, Golarion, has some other flavors thrown in here and there. Mostly high fantasy with your elves and dwarves, wizards and dragons and the sort.

eBadger

*nods* Pathfinder and the current version of D&D are basically two branches of the same evolutionary line.  Like monkeys v. apes, they're different but if you understand one, you will recognize a lot in the other.   

Pathfinder is typically a high fantasy setting, but there are a ton of different variations and a science fiction version of the game, Starfinder, was just released a few weeks ago (I don't know much of anything specific about it). 

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Dragongoddess

Quote from: eBadger on October 16, 2017, 04:29:53 PM
Yay interest!  Dragon, what's his name/is he in the process?  Even if he's not approved when we start it should be pretty simple to catch up. 
He JUST got approved.  His name is JustAlexander.

Galanthor

Erm...I'm interested. I have SOME experience with pen and paper in that i joined a The dark eye campaign once and TRIED to DM shadowrun for one session.

Then there is that i played stuff like baldur's gate a lot...that does count right?

eBadger

It does help!  Those were modeled after D&D, so the concept is all there (except that dual wielding bastard swords isn't quite so easy! ;) )

I'm going to aim at getting stuff put together by this weekend and start by next week.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: eBadger on October 18, 2017, 03:04:45 PM
It does help!  Those were modeled after D&D, so the concept is all there (except that dual wielding bastard swords isn't quite so easy! ;) )

I'm going to aim at getting stuff put together by this weekend and start by next week.

*hides his bastard swords*

I just need to see the changes, and then figure out how different the two became.  I used to have a lot of old 3.5 memorized, and found that there's quite a bit different in PF.

Galanthor

Neverwinter Nights allowed me to dual wield claymores...that's still possible right?

We probably should figure out party composition before creating chars, right? Then again...all bard party does sound fun.

Cataclysmic Archangel

For what it's worth, I'd LOVE to play some sort of arcane caster.  I've been itching to get a game where I could write out special effects and stuff.

eBadger

No worries about party composition, we aren't doing a serious adventure, just casual.  Also, tbh, the most interesting groups I've been part of were completely broken.  There's nothing like 5 rogues and a mage to annihilate things or die horribly trying. 

I'm thinking of starting with just fighters and wizards.  Either give a choice, or make one of each. 

Chulanowa

Core classes might work better, so that there's a good variety of flavors to choose from and interact with.

eBadger

Yeeahhhh, but this is how to use a system, not immersive roleplaying; better to keep the class all on the same assignments than explain how each one works differently and confuse people before we learn the basics.  And every other class can be generally explained in terms of Fighter and Wizard. 

Chulanowa

Ahhh, a'ite  ;D well, it's not like you can't squeeze a hell of a lot of variety out of those two anyway.

JustAlexander

I’m definitely interested!  But I don’t even know where to start looking to find the rules online.  Would anyone be willing to send me a link?

eBadger

I'll definitely post all the links as we go, and we'll start off by making characters together

Dragongoddess

I'll probably go Wizard since I'm making a Ranger in a DnD 5.0 introduction game

Galanthor

Now I hope for an all wizard group! It's the hogwarts school trip :D

Rhadiance

I'd be interested. I've played 5e but am not very experienced with Pathfinder.