News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

Quote from: Irilinquent on June 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
I've been playing Dragon Age 2, it's pretty good. Sadly, I hated Dragon Age Origins and couldn't get past an hour of that so there're some references I don't get. But still, it's great! And Isabella is gorgeous :D

YES! Some one else who hates DA:O. You'll be going far!
Ragtime Dandies!

dready

Quote from: Eden on June 05, 2011, 08:41:41 PM
I just opened Minecraft for the first time in moths and started messing around - and almost died when a storm rolled in. Effing awesome weather update.
I hear the creepers are extra creepy. :3

abandoneddolly

dragon age is my favorite game. I haven't gotten to play the second one though,

Inkidu

I'm playing Metro: 2033. A game that actually understands subtle.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Playing Outcast and Chaser. Two VERY underrated games.

Brandon

Got to try a nice little free game earlier today called Super crate box! Fun game because while its a platform shooter you still have to change strategies all the time. It can be frustrating too but in a way that makes you want to keep playing. Check it out if you havnt

Besides some Forzen Synapse games earlier I decided to put in Darksiders again. Partly because the news of a sequel makes me happy and partly because I just wanted something different to play. Seems like all I have been playing lately is FPS of varying quality
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on June 05, 2011, 03:28:19 PM
Look, I could go on for weeks about this. It's what I do, I'm an English major, and I was heavy into deconstructionist theory which is quite awesome when used constructively. All these points are, however, moot. They are as moot as moot can be. I will also submit because I will always lose this argument because of the very nature of fiction. Mass Effect just like The Great Gatsby, Oronoko, Jules Verne's works, and any other fiction you can think up will always fail under such scrutiny. If you apply this much of a microscope to anything, it's hard to imagine you like anything. You're picking the proverbial knit here man. Get some willful suspension of disbelief. It doesn't really detract from the work to the general population, it's sold far too well for that. If you don't like it fine, but this dragging out every little inconsistency is unfair to the people who created it, because in order for it to be perfect it would have to actually be reality.

Almost all of the points I brought up can be dealt with by adding a few relatively simple lines of dialogue and minor tweaks (such as not sticking Cerberus logo's on the outside of your ship). It's about internal consistency. Don't tell me that Cerberus are considered a hated terrorist group by almost all of the galaxy and then have only the Flotilla and Jack show any reaction to the fact your ship is affiliated with them. Don't tell me there are no clues as to how colonists are going missing and then show me a huge field of destruction from where a ship landed. Don't tell me thermal clips are a new innovation and then have characters cut off from the world for 10 years have them.

In contrast Mass Effect 1 has a huge plot hole running right through the middle of it that if thought about for any length of time basically invalidates the whole game... but because it's basically internally consistent its not really an issue.

As for the liking it part:

Quote from: consortium11 on June 04, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
I enjoy the game regardless and, as I say, most of the plot holes are relatively minor (until Arrival), although they seriously test your suspension of disbelief, but they're still there. Not Fallout 3 levels of bad by any means... but they exist and they're annoying... especially the ones that a decent editor should have picked out quickly.

Fallout 3 also dovetails well into the "selling well" point. The plot is essentially nonsensical even without looking at previous Fallout canon and has some real *head-desk* moments in it (yet is often lauded for that very same plot) and sold like hot cakes. Plot is only one thing that makes up a game... and many highly successful games have at best an average one. Does anyone consider the plot of the Gears of War series anything other than one long homage to action hero clichés (without much irony)? The plot of Command and Conquer a masterpiece (however much I love the cheesy cut scenes)? That's without considering the likes of recent Call of Duties which have a single player but are built around multiplayer appeal.

On topic I've been giving Napoleon Total War another runaround after playing Shogun 2 to death. Similar to Medieval 2 and Empire the vanilla version is pretty horrible but there are some good mods out there that make it pretty enjoyable.

rhev

Atom Zombie Smasher, a fun little indie game I got from Steam for $10.  Fun strategy game I'm enjoying.

AliviaraMae

Hemingway

After seeing the Red Faction trailer, I want to play it.

Bleh.

Shimeka

Dragon age 2!!! Played through it already once...

mass effect 2 because it was free with Dragon Age 2. Just wish I didn't totally suck at it ><  everything about is rocks though...

Harley

I want to play Half-life 2, and I want to play Arkham Asylum especially...  But I ran the 'can you run it' thingie on both games and my pathetic laptop fails at minimum settings.

...  I need a new laptop.  *sighs*

Sabby

Uhg... wtf happened to Burnout? I only played Burnout 2, fucking loved it, and I wanted to get a new one, so went to Youtube to research a little.

Its like the games got progressively more shit x.x

Burnout 3. They added that stupid bullet time thing where you steer your car in the air when you crash, and added bullet time in general to most other crashes. Not cool. Totally took away from the impact.

Burnout: Revenge. Added that retarded pinball mode where you ram cars with the physics turned up and really ruined the crash mode.

Burnout: Paradise. WTF?! Open world?! Totally fucked up the race tracks, and the crash mode... do I even have to say anything on that? I thought the crash steering matrix stuff was silly, but this is just retarded. You steer your car around like a bouncy tennis ball of death, hopping down the street to cause crashes, and you can go on for, like, 20 minutes if you want to...

WTF Burnout?! Isn't the whole point of your games crashing and racing? When you keep doing this, you take away all sense of impact from those two elements...

Lirliel

Quote from: Shimeka on June 08, 2011, 07:43:06 PM
Dragon age 2!!! Played through it already once...

mass effect 2 because it was free with Dragon Age 2. Just wish I didn't totally suck at it ><  everything about is rocks though...

1. If it's too hard, lower the difficulty
2. STAY IN COVER
3. You can use your squad-mates powers while in cover, just point & click
4. If you're playing Soldier, upgrade Incendiary Ammo and The one against 'synthetic' enemies to the last level, make it so that your whole squad benefits from 'em
5. Upgrade Upgrade Upgrade, cannot stress that enough.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

dready

Minecraft again.

Also the drawing game known as 'pencil and sketchbook adventure VIII'. (aka regular drawing)

Wolfy

About to start playing Final Fantasy XIV again..I hear they've made improvements to it...it's still free to play, though, so they obviously haven't done THAT much.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on June 08, 2011, 11:58:28 PM
About to start playing Final Fantasy XIV again..I hear they've made improvements to it...it's still free to play, though, so they obviously haven't done THAT much.

Oh wow, they made FFXIV F2P, already?  Damn, I might have to reactivate my account.

Wolfy

Quote from: Tonalberry on June 09, 2011, 12:00:26 AM
Oh wow, they made FFXIV F2P, already?  Damn, I might have to reactivate my account.

Well no, it's Free to play until they can get things sorted out and make enough improvements that they think it's ready to be p2p again.

But they haven't set a date, so it's still f2p indefinitely at the moment.

Tonalberry

ahhh, still.  wouldn't hurt to play it while it's free, and then once they get their shit together, see if it's still worth playing after they make it P2P again.

dready

Wait, 14 is free to play? o - o *zooms*

Wolfy

Quote from: dready on June 09, 2011, 12:47:23 AM
Wait, 14 is free to play? o - o *zooms*

At the moment, yes.

I think they should just give up and do the Guild wars thing..have it stay Free to play forever, but make you buy the game.

Wolfy

Fun Fact: The fastest time beating Zelda: OoT was 2 hours, 26 minutes and 56 seconds.

@_@

dready

Wolfy

Hmm..interesting...seems FFXIV will be introducing a Job System at some point, which is basically a Class Change system.

From what I understand, in the future, once you reach a certain level in a class, you'll be able to take on a Job Quest to specialize further into that Class, gaining a new Class (The Job) in the process. Apparently you sacrifice the skills that you can have from other classes (Some of them, anyway) in order to have more specific, newer skills for said job. o3o Apparently Jobs are also good for party play.

Hemingway

I bought Red Faction: Armageddon and got Guerrilla for free. Win!

Also, I've read some reviews and I've played the demo. I noticed people complaining about the lack of sandbox gameplay. What gives? What is with the gaming world's obsession with sandboxes? I know more games that would've benefitted from being linear, than games that would've benefitted from being sandboxes. Sandbox gameplay is, in too many cases, a crutch. If the gameplay is solid ( as Armageddon was, in my experience ), then why the need for sandbox gameplay? I mean, I understand the desire to run around and blow stuff up, but that's only a good thing if it doesn't make the rest of the game worse. I would gladly have traded the ability to roam Mars in Guerrilla for a better story. The gameplay is fun, blowing stuff up is fun, but that was literally all the game was about, with the exception of one or two missions.