Keyboard issue... only 5 and 6 work on number bar. :/

Started by Twisted Crow, September 05, 2014, 12:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

Above QWERTY... only tilde, 5 and 6 seem to work. Sometimes I can get the other numbers to work... then other times it's like they don't exist or something.

Can't tell if it is the keyboard itself or a software/driver issue.

I'm using a USB keyboard.

Edit: Accidently posted it here when I meant to put it in Computer Problems. Sorry about that, guys.

Caeli

Have you tested the keyboard on another computer?  Does it behave the same way?

If so, have you tried cleaning out the keyboard to see if maybe it's stuff that's stuck on the undersides?  How do the keys themselves feel?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Twisted Crow

To be honest, its kind of a cheap one and its my spare. The other one has a short in the cord.

The keys on this one feel stuck and I just realized that the only way to get the numbers on the top to work is to have the keyboard sit "diagonally" between my arm rest and my lap. That is, the left side sits up on the arm rest of my chair and the right side rests on my leg. Kinda tells me it's the keyboard, more than likely. I'll give the other keyboard a shot and see if it does the same thing.

I'm about 90% sure that it's the keyboard itself, at this point. The keyboard also likes to automatically open my favorites bar and go to my home page. Heh. Kind of funny at first but annoying. Seems like it thinks I'm using a sticky keys feature or something.

Psi

If its not a laptop keyboard you will find that you can pop the keys off without affecting operations to a great extent.   They don't have the tiny parts that break like a laptop one does.

Take a photo of the keyboard.
Pop every key off except the for the keys the size of tab, capslock, shift, spacebar etc - they have additional components that take a little more care to remove.
If you need to, push down the key next to it and lever the key off - with a normal key or screwdriver.

Once everything is off, use a brush, or can of compressed air to clean the keyboard surface, and a brush to clean the base of the keys itself.

Put the keyboard back together and you will probably find it now works, esp if the problem was a difference in how the keys felt when pressed