News:

Main Menu

Fate RPG System

Started by chaoslord29, December 30, 2013, 05:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord29

It occurs to me I might have tried posting this here first to better gauge interest and maybe scare up a few leads, but in my exuberance I went straight to the Multiple Player Search thread to start an interest check for a Fate Game here on Elliquiy. Any other Fate players out their I'm sure can relate, and just about anyone whose played a tabletop game knows the excitement when you've got ideas for campaigns and characters and all that jazz, but just in case that thread winds up going nowhere, I'd like to open up a discussion here about my personal favorite system, Fate and it's subsidiaries (Spirit of the Century, Don't Rest your Head, Dresden Files RPG, etc.).

Now I say this having been introduced to RPG with D&D 3.5 and as a big time fan of Pathfinder, but Fate is by and away my favorite system because of the way it integrates real collaborative story telling with character creation and conflict mechanics.

For those not familiar with Fate, it's a dramatic, flexible, rules light system that puts the emphasis on creative, proactive, and dynamic character actions and reactions, rather than bogging challenges and combats down in number crunching and calculations. Character creation is freeform and part of play itself, centralized around character Aspects, which are the defining features of what makes your character unique and are the flagship mechanic in-game for making your character shine in the midst of conflict and adventure.

So, any other Fate Fans out there, or am I alone in my preference for games that don't let themselves get bogged down in skinning and re-skinning character classes around a jumble of numbers and formulas? Anyone care to prove me wrong? Make the case for 3.5, Pathfinder or any other system? It's not like I exclusively play Fate, it's just that having played and run a couple of campaigns in it, I've found other RPGs (especially Play-by-Post) to be somewhat . . . dry, I guess, even cumbersome in some cases.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Blythe

I got a hold of the Dresden Files rpg books for the Fate system (and have the core book for Fate!), and I was not disappointed. What I liked most about the system is that it's exceedingly easy to learn (well, it was to me), and I don't feel as though I'm being bogged down trying to crunch numbers. Where Fate shines, at least to me, is that it's easy to bring new people into, if you're starting out with a group new to system gaming.

I also played a bit of Don't Rest Your Head (a user on E ran a game of it, and they did a very good job teaching me to play). I still like that system.

I've played D&D (have yet to be involved in a Pathfinder game that has gotten off the ground, but I want to at some point), and if I had to pick a system that I thought was more PbP/forum-friendly...I'd say Fate.

I admit that I'm jonesing to play the Dresden Files rpg, though; I love that series and like Fate, so it's a win-win for me.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Blythe on December 30, 2013, 05:23:12 PM
I got a hold of the Dresden Files rpg books for the Fate system (and have the core book for Fate!), and I was not disappointed. What I liked most about the system is that it's exceedingly easy to learn (well, it was to me), and I don't feel as though I'm being bogged down trying to crunch numbers. Where Fate shines, at least to me, is that it's easy to bring new people into, if you're starting out with a group new to system gaming.

I also played a bit of Don't Rest Your Head (a user on E ran a game of it, and they did a very good job teaching me to play). I still like that system.

I've played D&D (have yet to be involved in a Pathfinder game that has gotten off the ground, but I want to at some point), and if I had to pick a system that I thought was more PbP/forum-friendly...I'd say Fate.

I admit that I'm jonesing to play the Dresden Files rpg, though; I love that series and like Fate, so it's a win-win for me.

Step into my parlor! I'm a big fan of Dresden as well, though I'm not caught up on the series and in reading through the rule book I encountered a few spoilers (much to my chagrin and ensuing hilarity). Only reason I didn't come right out and pitch a Dresden Files game in the first place is because in trying the same thing IRL, I found my friends who weren't familiar with the series didn't have the same appreciation and didn't feel as engaged. After all, if you haven't read the books, there's a lot of material that has to be covered if you want to play say, a Winter Court Changeling, or a White Court Initiate.

That said, Fate does have the biggest advantage in being easy to teach and easy to learn, and I'm all for any system that side-steps the complexities (and inconsistencies) of hit-points as neatly as Fate does. Always bugs me (even in Pathfinder) that a Fighter at 1 hit point is every bit as effective in combat as a fighter at full hit points. I realize they're an abstraction, but even so, what the hell are they really supposed to represent?

Whereas in Fate, if you get hit, and you have to take a consequence, you know damn well what happened as now you're walking around with Broken Nose, or Gouge Wound as Aspects.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

Blythe

For a Dresden Files game, it does exceedingly help to have players familiar with the book series if you want to play anything above "Up To Your Waist" in terms of power level. But if you pick a lower power level, you can gradually introduce players into the setting as mere mortals. ^^

Now, as for the actual system of Fate Core, I think what I most enjoy about it is sheer flexibility. Character Aspects encourage players to think in terms of story and background to try to invoke Aspects to do well in a situation...and yet those same Aspects can be used against them by the GM (all hail tricky compels!). I felt the beauty of that, in regards to storytelling/RPing, was that the goal of every Aspect is to be able to interpret it in positive and negative ways. Player interpretation of their character becomes genuinely important for the system, and I seriously can get behind any game that rewards me for being creative that way.

Now as for one of the subsidiary games you mentioned--Spirit of the Century! I actually haven't heard of it! What's that one about?

TheGlyphstone

Just saying that a Dresden Files RPG game on E would be the bee's knees. My opportunities to play FATE have been far less than my chances to read/admire FATE.

chaoslord29

You know, I hadn't considered it before but a straight mortals game Dresden Files could be a lot of fun; To a certain extent, it would almost be like playing a Supernatural RPG (the TV Show) as much as a Dresden one. Maybe I'll add that idea into the Search thread I have going . . .

I couldn't agree more about flexibility, and it might be shooting fish in a barrel, but if you compare FATE to say, D&D 4th edition, Wizard's latest incarnation of the classic game absolutely gets blown out of the water. IRL, I had a friend who had never played anything else before, and when I introduced him to FATE, he was just confused.

QuoteFriend: "How do I pick my race? There's no list of what I can play as."

Me: "Just make it part of your high concept. Like, Dwarf Ranger or something."

Friend: "But Dwarves don't get good stat bonuses for rangers."

Me: "FATE doesn't have Stat bonuses, you want to be good at Archery, you just make your character good at Archery, and tag him being Dwarf Ranger on top of that and there you go. But don't be surprised when the half-orcs at the tavern start making short jokes and you have to fight them to defend your mother's honor."

Friend: O__________________O

Aspects are just a brilliantly simply core mechanic, rewards creativity and balances play at the same time! No classes means no class tiers. Instead, your character's strengths are also, always, their weaknesses!

As for Spirit of the Century- It's a 1920s Pulp Action & Adventure game. The character are pulp heroes who would be perfectly comfortable rubbing shoulders with the Phantom, Doc Savage, Constance Kurridge, Indiana Jones, and the Rocketeer, and Jirel of Joiry. The PCs take on the role of Centurions, special individuals who are part of the exclusive Century Club, and share the fortunate twist of fate of being born on the first day of the new year of the new century, as Centurions, they are a cut above the crowd and display talents and traits which will define and shape the coming 20th century, even as they are opposed by the nefarious Shadow Centurions (born on December 31st 1899, the last day before the New Year).

I ran two campaigns of Spirit of the Century IRL, one which revolved around the hijacking of the world's largest airship by German Proto-Nazi terrorists and wound up being part of an intricate plot to establish an Un-Holy Roman Empire in dominion over all Europe.

The other had the PCs wake up not knowing where they were on an island full of dinosaurs.
My Guiding Light-

HairyHeretic

I'm pretty sure you'll find more than a  few FATE fans in here. Check in the GMs Corner, and you'll see FATE recommended fairly regularly whenever someone asks for system recommendations.

I've run a Dresden Files game here using the FATE rules myself and it worked fairly well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

chaoslord29

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 30, 2013, 08:20:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll find more than a  few FATE fans in here. Check in the GMs Corner, and you'll see FATE recommended fairly regularly whenever someone asks for system recommendations.

I've run a Dresden Files game here using the FATE rules myself and it worked fairly well.

Glad to know! And I suppose as someone looking to GM a game here on Elliquiy I should definitely drop in to the GM's corner.

Dresden Files is pretty daunting though, good to know there's plenty of Jim Butcher fans on top of everything!
My Guiding Light-

Chris Brady

Having tried a demo of The Dresden Files game, I gotta say, I found Fate to be a LOT more complex than advertised.  Especially with the proliferation of Aspects.  Which some gamers use them for EVERY thing.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

I got my dead tree versions of Fate last month and haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Still waiting on the Atomic Robo game to come out.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 30, 2013, 10:00:09 PM
Having tried a demo of The Dresden Files game, I gotta say, I found Fate to be a LOT more complex than advertised.  Especially with the proliferation of Aspects.  Which some gamers use them for EVERY thing.

See, I consider Dresden Files the exception to the rule, in that it offers the additional complexities of Spell Casting, Focus Items, and a few other elements that go above and beyond Fate Core. However, if it's Aspects you found complicated, then you're about to lose me, because I find them to be the most intuitive part of Fate across it's subsidiary games.

That vampire you just shot with the flare gun? Now it's got the On Fire! Consequence, and since you're character firmly believes that Everything Burns, you spend a fate point to invoke your own pyromania, plus a free invocation on the Aspect you just applied as a result of your previous action, and douse the thing using a nearby gasoline tank in a Fantastic (+6) display of pyrotechnics!

The Vampire is now Extra Crispy, and taken out.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 30, 2013, 10:23:12 PM
I got my dead tree versions of Fate last month and haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Still waiting on the Atomic Robo game to come out.

I'm still waiting on some paper copies, and very intrigued by Atomic Robo. Do they have a potential release date yet?
My Guiding Light-

Chris Brady

Actually, I never got to cast spells in the game demo.  I didn't get to do much actually, mostly watch as there was something like...  8 players?

Also, according to the Evil Hat website, the Atomic Robo game is being pushed back to early 2014.  Missing it's late 2013 release.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TheGlyphstone

Considering they'd have a matter of hours to get it out in 2013, that makes sense.

Chris Brady

This was reported in back in late November-ish, I believe.

chaoslord29

Well considering how much the major publishers wind up pushing back their release dates, I'm willing to cut Evil Hat some slack.

So any teasers on how it will differ from Fate Core or Spirit of the Century?
My Guiding Light-

Callie Del Noire

Callie Del Noire

A little thread necro.. the folks @ Evil Hat just opened up Atomic Robo RPG for preorder

Chris Brady

Interested in the game, but I rarely pre-order game books.  I'll wait until they release it.

Pumpkin Seeds

I was recently reading over Tianxia.  Pretty good kung fu setting for the system.

MasterMischief

Raises hoof.

Another FATE fan here.  I used to be into crunchy systems (G.U.R.P.S. and Hero System), but I find myself leaning towards more rules light systems that get out of the way of a good story.

Pumpkin Seeds

Has anyone had any success (or interest) in trying this system out on Elliquiy?