The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 01, 2015, 02:59:14 PM
It looks like we might possibly be seeing the Green Lantern appear in Arrow this season. Well, at least Coast City. They teased it with a welcome sign for the city with part of the Green Lantern saying on it. It would be awesome to see Hal Jordan appearing. They've already mentioned Ferris Airways in previous seasons.

They could have Zoom just be a being encased in a special armor to give him form. That his body is pure Speed Force energy. Which would make sense if they are having Tony Todd do his voice, which is very cool.

Apparently Michael Shannon is backtracking his comments about Zod appearing. Now he is saying that it might be a ghost thing in which Zod appears.

So is all this big cameo stuff going on in the CW network shows still leading up to that Legends of Tomorrow thing or what? I'm excited to see what it culminates in. It's like the Smallville formula but with multiple spinoffs instead of just tons of cameos crammed into each season. What about Aquaman? He's pretty low-tech as far as special effects go, he should be a good choice for a cameo.

And are you talking about Zod in BvS or something else? I know Superman has been thought 'dead' a few times and he's come back from it so it's no surprise if Zod or other Kryptonians can do the same.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

They were zipping him up in a body bag at the end of Man of Steel. And, there was speculation that Lex Luthor would have experimented on his body, which resulted in Zod becoming Doomsday. Now, it seems the execs at Warner Bros. have been trying to keep the lid on that bit of news and been trying to have Michael Shannon not reveal anything more. First, it sounded like he was going to be in BvS, now it is the on permenant hold Man of Steel sequel. So, its up in the air at the moment.

Lot of the characters making appearances have been crossing over onto each show. It would be likely that having Green Lantern appear would mean he would also appear on Legends of Tomorrow. Aquaman seems like another likely choice to make an appearance. They could get Alan Ritchson to reprise the role, same with Elena Satine as Mira.  Don't see why they can't have Wonder Woman appear either, or even Wonder Girl or Donna Troy. They're having Hawkman appear too.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 01, 2015, 02:59:14 PM
It looks like we might possibly be seeing the Green Lantern appear in Arrow this season. Well, at least Coast City. They teased it with a welcome sign for the city with part of the Green Lantern saying on it. It would be awesome to see Hal Jordan appearing. They've already mentioned Ferris Airways in previous seasons.
Coast City is probably going to where this season's flashbacks start; when Ollie was leaving Hong Kong it was on a boat registered out of Coast City. So there might be a random Hal sighting or two but no Green Lantern. And I think Ferris Aircraft have been mentioned in all 3 seasons of Arrow plus the test track for Flash.

Quote from: Mathim on September 01, 2015, 03:07:52 PM
So is all this big cameo stuff going on in the CW network shows still leading up to that Legends of Tomorrow thing or what?
LoT starts in January so leading up to that both Flash and Arrow will be setting the groundwork, so White Canary, A.T.O.M. and Hawkman on Arrow with Hawkgirl, Firestorm, Captain Cold, Heat Wave and Rip Hunter on Flash
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

The possibility is left open for Green Lantern appearing. Even if technically we don't see him as the Green Lantern, he could be pre-Green Lantern. In the flashback, he and Ollie could have been partying together in Coast City. Paths cross in the present where both have changed. The Flash pulled off having Gorilla Grod, anything is possible.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 01, 2015, 03:43:04 PM
The possibility is left open for Green Lantern appearing. Even if technically we don't see him as the Green Lantern, he could be pre-Green Lantern. In the flashback, he and Ollie could have been partying together in Coast City. Paths cross in the present where both have changed. The Flash pulled off having Gorilla Grod, anything is possible.

What?! They had Grodd on Flash? Holy crap! I need to see this show, for real.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

David Sobolov played the voice for Gorilla Grodd. He has done a lot of voice work. One being Depth Charge from Beast Wars. From a photo still from an episode showing Grodd and Flash together it appeared they pulled it off pretty good. Sometimes it could  work through use of the MOCAP like they did with Andy Serkis for Gollum. or appear kinda cheesy where you can tell it is a fake suit or animatronic.

Mathim

Grodd wasn't quite as menacing on Justice League as I would have liked (not physically, but just his kinda lackluster schemes) so I hope they did better on the Flash show. Too bad only Arrow is on Netflix. Maybe soon both will be...

SapphireStar

There is the rule about violence in cartoons, so they probably had to err on the side of caution with certain characters. Though, they snuck in the thing with  Tala calling Grodd her boyfriend, etc. From what I saw, they made Grodd appear menacing, and David Sobolov's voice adds to it.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 02, 2015, 05:45:04 PM
There is the rule about violence in cartoons, so they probably had to err on the side of caution with certain characters. Though, they snuck in the thing with  Tala calling Grodd her boyfriend, etc. From what I saw, they made Grodd appear menacing, and David Sobolov's voice adds to it.

I meant, nothing he really did seemed to outshine Lex Luthor's schemes. For an evil genius, he wasn't really much better than a hairy, super-strong version of Luthor, but without too much original thought. Also there were way too many human women in love with him, that was just creepy as hell.

SapphireStar

True. I was surprised they allowed that to air.

I was reading an article from one of the entertainment sites. Speculation about Martin Freeman's character is that he might possibly be Henry Peter Gyrich. Or, maybe he's MODOK? Zemo is also making an appearance in Civil War.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 03, 2015, 09:31:15 PM
True. I was surprised they allowed that to air.

I was reading an article from one of the entertainment sites. Speculation about Martin Freeman's character is that he might possibly be Henry Peter Gyrich. Or, maybe he's MODOK? Zemo is also making an appearance in Civil War.

I'd heard Freeman was more like the United Nations' liaison with the Avengers. Isn't Gyrich an X-Men character anyway, like Bolivar Trask? MODOK would be cool but I wouldn't want Freeman to play that deformed freak. And if Zemo dies, does that mean HYDRA is done and over with? It just seems illogical for them to still be functioning at this point. Unless they're like, "You know, we keep getting our asses handed to us by superpowered people. Even the ones we created ended up not being an asset to us. We need some who are on our side from the get-go."

CaptainNexus616

In truth Hydra at this point is just around until the next alien shows or super powered being is created or built. Hydra has become the punching bag of the MCU.

I would love if they started conducting a plan to try and bring back the Red Skull to whip his evil organization back into shape. Dunno if Hugo Weaving would be gamed but it would be the first villain return since Loki returned following Thor.

If not these guys need something to be consider a threat now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Gyrich was prominent in the X-men titles, as was Val Cooper. Gyrich, I think appeared in other titles. His status as an agent allowed him to move through each title. And, I could see him being the liasion assigned to them. Which I think the Avengers did have a liasion for a while. Gyrich isn't exactly friendly towards the superheroes or sympathic like Val Cooper was. In the article, it mentioned that no one is quite sure where Freeman's character's loyalties lie. Interestingly, they had Gyrich in one of the X-men movies, but killed him.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 03, 2015, 10:04:21 PM
Gyrich was prominent in the X-men titles, as was Val Cooper. Gyrich, I think appeared in other titles. His status as an agent allowed him to move through each title. And, I could see him being the liasion assigned to them. Which I think the Avengers did have a liasion for a while. Gyrich isn't exactly friendly towards the superheroes or sympathic like Val Cooper was. In the article, it mentioned that no one is quite sure where Freeman's character's loyalties lie. Interestingly, they had Gyrich in one of the X-men movies, but killed him.

Well if he was in one of the movies already, that pretty much answers that question. I hadn't really thought about how the general public feels about it, since the focus is on how the heroes themselves feel, and how the world's governments do. I guess we'll be seeing similar stuff to the BvS trailer where people are holding up 'False God' signs and such.

SapphireStar

It might be forgotten that he was used in the first X-Men movie. He was with Senator Kelly, but then revealed to be Mystique. Magneto revealed to Kelly that Gyrich had been dead for some time. Though if they were going with Gyrich, I kinda envision someone like Jack Coleman from Heroes playing him. The other speculation is that Freeman might be playing a Prime Minister from Wakanda.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 04, 2015, 08:23:44 PM
It might be forgotten that he was used in the first X-Men movie. He was with Senator Kelly, but then revealed to be Mystique. Magneto revealed to Kelly that Gyrich had been dead for some time. Though if they were going with Gyrich, I kinda envision someone like Jack Coleman from Heroes playing him. The other speculation is that Freeman might be playing a Prime Minister from Wakanda.

Why would a white guy be playing a country like Wakanda's prime minister? But I think I read earlier that he's in the employ of the U.S. government (wouldn't immediately leap to that conclusion given he's not American) so the idea of him being a more international type of guy does make more sense.

SapphireStar

Had a thought, another possibility is he could be playing Cameron Hodge. He was kind of along the same lines as Gyrich. Not friendly or sympathic to anyone with superpowers, hero or villain made no difference to him. And he was involved in several events which impacted those with superpowers. The last one being the Phalanx crisis. And, I think he was involved with events on Genosha.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 04, 2015, 10:40:42 PM
Had a thought, another possibility is he could be playing Cameron Hodge. He was kind of along the same lines as Gyrich. Not friendly or sympathic to anyone with superpowers, hero or villain made no difference to him. And he was involved in several events which impacted those with superpowers. The last one being the Phalanx crisis. And, I think he was involved with events on Genosha.

Interesting! I've never seen Freeman play a real villain (closest thing was him being a duplicate briefly in The World's End) so if he's something of an antagonist, especially in a huge production like this, it'll give him some range he's probably never had before. Like how I never saw Leonardo Dicaprio play a villain until Django Unchained.

CaptainNexus616

I would personally like to see that as well! Martin Freeman normally plays the average guy getting sucked into something unexpected. (Ex. the Hobbit, Sherlock, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) Bring on the dark side.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 07, 2015, 03:42:05 PM
I would personally like to see that as well! Martin Freeman normally plays the average guy getting sucked into something unexpected. (Ex. the Hobbit, Sherlock, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) Bring on the dark side.

In that case maybe he's working with Zemo to try and have one last-ditch effort at keeping HYDRA alive, and after this one they'll really fall apart. Of course after Ant-Man, there's agents working for the Mandarin in the mix, too. Sigh. Why can't they just let it go? That was their first big fuck-up of the MCU and instead of burying it and moving on they keep pretending it was part of this grand scheme all along.

I wonder when Marvel will announce definitively whether or not they're going to proceed with a Phase 4 (or a reboot?) I think they're going so strongly right now that it would be foolish to quit before some of their other properties get the big-screen treatment they deserve (Ghost Rider, for one) or at least the Netflix TV treatment. I also wouldn't mind two branching, parallel productions so that while the main studio focuses on established characters' sequels and other big-name characters, they might subsidize other productions to do a line of 'unsung heroes' who haven't appeared in the MCU and will have less-connected but still relevant contributions to the overall MCU. That would be perfect for guys like Ghost Rider, Namor and a few others who might be a little too over-the-top for TV.

TheGlyphstone

Wait, how/when did the Mandarin/Ten Rings get involved in Ant-Man? I thought that was exclusively HYDRA.

SapphireStar

They just went through a restructuring over at Marvel Studios. Feige now reports directly to Disney studios, eliminating several players from the creative decisions. I don't know how that will effect the movies going forward.

TheGlyphstone

Black Widow, the newest Disney Princess? It would certainly solve the merchandising complaints.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 08, 2015, 08:37:08 AM
Wait, how/when did the Mandarin/Ten Rings get involved in Ant-Man? I thought that was exclusively HYDRA.

One of the buyers had a Ten Rings tattoo on his neck.

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 08, 2015, 09:33:28 AM
They just went through a restructuring over at Marvel Studios. Feige now reports directly to Disney studios, eliminating several players from the creative decisions. I don't know how that will effect the movies going forward.

Well I know one of the guys who was penny-pinching has been eliminated from the equation which was considered a good thing by Feige so they can go all-out from now on. I just hope they don't lose the focus they have and start going even further in the direction of spectacle over storytelling/character development. Ant-Man was an improvement over Age of Ultron in that respect, but with the way Civil War is shaping up, it looks precarious.

CaptainNexus616

With them answering to Disney Studios if there was any budget issues post Avengers that has been definitely solved now.

As for Civil War I can say that it has one thing over Dawn of Justice. Most of the characters in Civil War have their MCU personas already established while yes this will definitely not be a big character development movie other than the Cap vs Stark angle and how it will affect them.  We will know how these characters will more than likely react to the events within Civil War.

We'll go "oh that makes sense for Falcon to team up with Captain America since they are clearly friends since meeting in Winter Soldier and talking briefly in Age of Ultron." Or "Oh that makes sense for War Machine to join Iron Man since Tony and Rhodey are long time friends and Rhodes is a soldier in the U.S. Air Force."

They are taking a big risk with introducing a big character like the MCU Spidey appearing in this movie with so many others but I think they are relying on us to be familiar with his backstory since Spidey has had a total of seven movies with the addition of numerous video games and cartoons in the past 13 years.

Unlike the rest of the MCU characters whom many including myself knew next to nothing about until they saw the movie and decided to look up the comic counterparts.

While with Dawn of Justice? We have no idea what the motives or goals of anyone are except for Superman and a vague idea for Bats based on the trailers we have seen.

Why is Wonder Woman who is she? Why is Aqua Man here who is he? What's Lex Luthor's part? These are the questions people will be asking since DC didn't take the time to establish other backgrounds for these characters. We know Superman is here to protect and save his new home. Almost everyone knows Batman's personal mission to stomp out crime but this movie is trying to promote a different foreign attitude to us that moviegoers are not familiar with. However unless you watched any of DC's other animated and live tv series in the past few decades you have no clue who these other people are or their motives.

So in short I feel Civil War will work better because they already established the bulk of the cast and it will be more action and reaction that will make sense as we already have a grasp as to who these characters are. Sure we won't we probably wont see much character development but with so many appearing it would be difficult however we won't be lost as we have a general idea of who they are and their motives

While Dawn of Justice is throwing a lot of new characters at us blindly with little to go by other than these bits of news and trailers. Leaving an excessive amount up to speculation to people like us who talk about here.