Harry Potter, Dark Future... interest generation thread

Started by Google, September 05, 2012, 06:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

I know we got some Potter games going on but I want to try something a little different, original characters, a different setting... and a whole lot of potential for fun and intrigue.

As the 15 year of The Dark Lords rise to control of wizarding Britain approaches he has set his eye on expanding his territory even further. Already most of Europe has fallen beneath his control, Governments are left intact but those in charge report to him now.... but he was never going to be satisfied with even a single continent and now looks across the Atlantic to new territory. As before he intends to have the government of the North American Wizards and Witches overthrown and place those who will obey him and his wishes in charge... in the last decade Blood Purity groups have been gaining popularity there and he thinks it is about time to strike.

The Coup takes place in a single night, those in power who wouldn't bow to him already fall quickly and are replaced without much trouble. But things won't go so smoothly this time, the Wizards here saw what happened to England, and in many other countries in Europe, the moment word gets out about the suspicious deaths they begin to organize, those who oppose the Dark Lord are ready to fight an insurgent war to keep themselves and those they care for safe.

I see the game taking place in New York, large and diverse city, gives us plenty of things to work with. I would rather keep Canon character out of it, however characters could have ties to them, by blood, or marriage, or even just old friendships. If necessary they could be used as NPCs... I am seeing the game playing out, Pure Bloods who find themselves wielding new influence and power, some happy with the new leadership others ready to resist, with those of lesser blood trying to hide what they are or maybe even fight it.

As for what happened in this setting that didn't happen in Deathly Hallows... Potter never made it out of the Ministry, he died along with Ron and Hermione. Others tried to resist but with the boy who lived and Dumbledore gone they lacked much by way of inspirational leadership.

So lets see who is interested and who has ideas... but keep in mind that the game I am starting will be controlled by me. Now good ideas will be listened too but if you put forward an idea that seems to only appeal to a very narrow base (IE you and you alone) then I will likely not implement it. I have had nasty drama with games before and would hate to see that happen here... so lets hear who is interested, lets hear your ideas... don't post characters yet though if you feel inspired to create a certain type of character, for example a down on his luck pure blood who finds his situation in life improved but is conflicted about the changes... feel free to share it.
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

Starlequin

American witches and wizards...
Fuck, yeah. :P

Are you thinking of having an American magic school or something? Nowhere near as prestigious or historic as Hogwarts, of course, but an academy or a boarding school for those the Big 3 snubbed or overlooked? Also, would there really be that many Pure Bloods in the U.S.? I'd think mixed bloods would be more prevalent, considering the unlikelyhood of that many Pures migrating from Europe.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Google

Well I was thinking there would be a large number of pure bloods, many of them might have left other nations for a variety of reasons, their ancestors may have left and been interested in keeping blood pure... but there would also be a very very large number of mixed blood

Of course America would have a school, several in all likely hood to deal with the numbers... but I would rather keep it more focused on the adults.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

JinxedMinx

I am keenly interested in this, although I don't have a character or even an archetype in mind yet.

Google

kckolbe

Do you have any interest in using a system for this?  I created a system for my last Hogwarts game and would be happy to lend it to you. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

PoisonousKitty

Intrigue is playing here i think if there is enough interesrt ill definitely join

Google

Well your offer to let me use your system is wonderful I think I would rather do without... unless it seems aparent it is needed

Nekogirl Kate

Google

Alright we have some people saying they are interested...

But I also want to hear ideas from people, what would you like to see in this, what sort of twist turns or just general fun would you like to appear?

Starlequin

Well, if Europe has fallen so completely, might there be any way to bring Muggles into the fight? I mean, facing an invasion from foreign wizards seems like a pretty good reason to drop the veil a little and see if non-magical technology could make a difference. And/or, we could always use a Maguffin. Perhaps a powerful artifact was smuggled into America during the Colonial Period, lost during the Revolutionary War, hidden, that if found could tip the scales to one side or the other, etc.?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

ShadoeDragon

This sounds like a splendid idea... I would love to join in. My excitement for the background has already made me to formulate characters in my head.

I can already imagine the intrigue behind a new caste system here.

And to see if I might help implement another idea:

It might even be interesting to see someone else get a hold of the knowledge of how to create horcruxes and rise out of the ashes. He would then have a more venomous opponent and one that isn't necessarily interested in the good of mankind. Just an idea, but it could be one fun to develop. It could even be someone merely interested in creating several horcruxes like him and creating a legion of their own. After all, power is one of the most enticing capabilities in human thought. Or rather on a different thought, it might also be interesting to see a estranged little group sacrifice their lives in order to create horcruxes for a wizard or witch to be unbeatable and powerful enough to finally defeat Voldermort. Instead the dark magic of creating horcruxes drives the individual mad, malevolent and hungry for power.

Google

Personally I dislike mcguffins, they always annoy me... But maybe rumor of one will spread

And another dark wizard who wants a shot at the top title, why not? But a horecruex seems to need cruelty and evil to be a part of it, not just sacrifice.

What are thoughts on refugees?

JinxedMinx

While there certainly will have been refugees, I'd like to see them kept to the background as color or NPC's. 

Let this be a fresh fight with a fresh team.

Google

Well I would rather avoid any Canon characters being played, though NPCs could easily be arranged if you want to somehow tie one into a plot... but by refugees there could be non Canon characters who fled the UK or maybe France...

Of course it does make people wonder how other magical communities will react, will the Asian Wizards just sit back or will they attempt to aid the wizards in the areas under Voldemorts control in an attempt to destabilize them?

But if you are interested and you know someone else who might be then invite them along... I still want to hear ideas and get as many interested people as we can...

JinxedMinx

If the dark forces made a concerted effort to establish power all over the wizarding world it would limit the available assistance.  Of course, a vacationing Asian might find returning home difficult and decide to stay in New York to fight the good fight.

Google

Quote from: JinxedMinx on September 11, 2012, 01:53:43 AM
If the dark forces made a concerted effort to establish power all over the wizarding world it would limit the available assistance.  Of course, a vacationing Asian might find returning home difficult and decide to stay in New York to fight the good fight.
Well I see the Dark Forces putting pressure on different areas, making it hard to know where the next coup will be... but the coups only really happen in one area at a time, conquer an area, establish power base there, consolidate and expand... a slower but more stable expansion that way... but one that might allow for outside help if done properly

AlphaWolfQuin

While I don't have any ideas at the moment I am interested in this I will think up some ideas then throw them out there when I do :)
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash

Google

ShadoeDragon

It seems you do have plenty of interest collecting. ^^

Google

I do I do... so lets hear character ideas and perhaps tomorrow there will be a start

ShadoeDragon

Excellent. Before I do begin creating characters, will you be focusing on the Death Eaters or the forces against the Death Eaters? I have the beginnings for a pure blood brother and sister duo that would support Voldermort's efforts. The brother a werewolf, but I wouldn't want to create characters without being thoroughly sure that I'm not developing it without reason.

Google

Well I would rather keep it focused on the darker aspect, the supporters in America, but having non supporters around would make it more interesting

ShadoeDragon

Good, I do prefer the darker side of literary themes myself. I'll begin fleshing out the two.