What do you want Obama to do?

Started by Elayne, October 14, 2009, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elayne

Of the options listed above, which do you feel should be the focus of the Obama presidency?

Are there any that you think are important that aren't listed?
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

HockeyGod

thebobmaster

Out of the things listed that he hasn't already worked on (he's working on health care and foreign relations, AFAIK), pass some gay rights laws. It's kind of frustrating that in every state that I know of except California, it is still legal to refuse to hire someone based on their sexual orientation, and in most states, they can't marry. Oh, but we have these things called "civil unions" that are almost the same! And, because of the DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act), states can refuse to recognize gay marriages. So, even if I and my theoretical boyfriend went to Massachusetts to get married, it would only count in Massachusetts. It's not as bad as, say, the African-Americans had it back in the 50's and 60's, but it is still far from equal.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Avi

I'd vote for stimulating the economy, since, in my opinion, a strong economy will bring most of the rest of the list along with it.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Elayne

Sorry!  I went to sleep in my head.  I actually had health care on my list, but for some reason messed it up when typign up the poll.

Avi, not necessarily.  A strong economy could mean alot of defense industry spending or alot of wealth streaming upwards weakening the middle class.

Thebobmaster - California actually just passed a law saying that they'll respect other states rights.  So if you get married in Vermont (as a gay couple), your marriage will still hold up in California.  But yes, getting right of DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell would be milestones for gay rights.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

thebobmaster

Quote from: Elayne on October 14, 2009, 03:24:57 PM

Thebobmaster - California actually just passed a law saying that they'll respect other states rights.  So if you get married in Vermont (as a gay couple), your marriage will still hold up in California.  But yes, getting right of DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell would be milestones for gay rights.

That's good. All I meant by saying that is that while a heterosexual marriage in Nevada is guaranteed by law to be recognized in Alabama (hence the whole "get married in Vegas"), Nevada could refuse to recognize a gay marriage that happened in Vermont. That, to me, is a bit of inequality that is easy to get rid of.

September

Some of my ons.

Transgirlenstein

Gay marriage, DADT, DOMA and trans-rights.

Also forgive student loan debts/take away the middle man in student loans
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

OldSchoolGamer

At this juncture, I really don't think there's much Obama can do.  The biggest issue America has right now is the incipient oil shortage, which is going to be radically changing the way we live, especially in oil-guzzling America.  The changes have in fact already begun, and will really ramp up over the next two to five years.

There ARE steps Obama could take to mitigate the coming crisis, but they would be so radical as to draw out the Teabaggers in droves, accusing him of a communist takeover and whatnot.  No, America is going to be learning the lesson that the "free market" is not God and unlimited eternal growth is not some birthright.  Learning it the hard way, by the looks of it.

Beguile's Mistress

Several times a month I spend time at a senior care facility visiting with residents.  Many of the supported President Obama while he was running and still support him.  Lately though, they've become angry over the negativity that surfacing.  They know it was to be expected but they are tired of the bashing one side always seems to give the other.  They even took a vote and none of the news networks are allowed to be on the televisions in the common rooms.  Their biggest gripe is the desire to find something wrong with President Obama rather than everyone working toward what's best for our country and it's citizens.  One gentleman stood up one day and said that the only thing that's changed, that's been allowed to change, is the person behind the desk in the Oval Office.  He got an ovation from the other residents.

It's disheartening to find out that these people who have been watching politics for the last 50 to 70 years are holding out little hope for improvement.

The Overlord

...need to have more than 3 options.

thebobmaster

Elayne

Quote from: The Overlord on October 17, 2009, 04:06:40 PM
...need to have more than 3 options.

:)

Sorry, I didn't really know where to cap the vote limit.  My theoretical goal was to get a feel for the things that the community was most interested in, so if I saw any really good articles worth sharing, I'd know what ones people wanted to see.  (I had a vision in my mind of maybe throwing up an article or two about developments in one or two of the big ones.)

Mr Self Destruct

I didn't see an option for Crawl Under a Rock & Never Come Back.  :P

Morven

Unfortunately, while I have plenty of criticism of Obama, I have little faith in any serious candidate from either party being any better.  He's more competent than Bush by a mile, and from everything I've heard of McCain, better than him too.  McCain talks a good game about how great he is, but I don't see the evidence. 

Obama's biggest problem is that he's a much better (prepared) speaker than he is a real leader.  When push comes to shove he's not much of a changer at all; he's business as normal, and cautious as hell.  Not altogether bad, but not very decisive either.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Mr Self Destruct

We need Cheney!  He's not afraid of doing what needs done, nor saying what needs saying, as evidenced by his recent 'dithering' comment about Obama's administration.

Obama is a power mad despot.  Who else employs Czar's in his administration?

MercyfulFate

I think health care reform is number 1 in my eyes.

Will

Quote from: Dark Clown on October 23, 2009, 11:20:29 PM
We need Cheney!  He's not afraid of doing what needs done, nor saying what needs saying, as evidenced by his recent 'dithering' comment about Obama's administration.

Obama is a power mad despot.  Who else employs Czar's in his administration?

Bwahaha!  I'm loving the sarcasm.  That whole "Colbert Report - I'm a Republican, but not really" thing, so funny.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Dios

I have no particular for Obama, just for any president who happens to be serving, but basically it would be to make sure that experts in the field aren't shaking their heads when congress passes legislation. If the stimulus is passed and the CBO is telling us that it's not financially viable and will have almost no effect, why would you not veto that law? Same thing with the various health bills being examined. Sure, everyone should be covered but if no one in the medical industry thinks that it's going to make things better and more efficient, and again the CBO is saying that it's going to cost us -more- money than we are already spending, when we're already spending double of the next highest nation, and that can't afford it as we already are...well then kick congress in the butt and tell them to get real and figure out real solutions. Just having the right intent isn't good enough if your implementation is stupid. President Bush proved that time and time again. You have to deal in reality, not in hopes, or you just can't make stuff that lives up to those hopes.