Young Justice

Started by Google, May 09, 2012, 03:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneplots

No I was planning on playing my Other OC a technopath, It's a female role that can connect her mind to any level of earth tech and to some extend alien tech and then control it.  The main character detail is that either during or prior to play she's crippled from the waist down. Obviously AI is difficult due to it having a mind of it's own.

AribethAmkiir

My only concern with taking the game right after New Years is the ages.  If we do the 5 year jump that pretty much makes it so that all the characters (except perhaps Beast Boy) are 18+, whereas if it is right after the New Years episode a good number of them are U18.  Not sure how much of a factor that should be but I thought I should mention it.

We also don't -have- to follow the cartoon's story.  We could use the jump to divert from the cartoon's plot and begin to create our own. 

Beware spoilers from the 2nd season:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Perhaps where Connor and M'Ghann are still together, Artemis and Wally aren't playing house and Aqualad is still team leader?

That would also open the roster more to DC characters (of appropriate age) but not limit it to the canon characters of the show?

JDrew Spider

>.<

Oh yea that's right. Whatever works!
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Rayve13

Going into a divergent path makes sense to me, considering we're already diverging a bit from the storyline team with the inclusion of Starfire, Red Hood, and Capt. Boomerang, who only has a connection to one member of this group (an only partially resolved conflict with Tim Drake since their fathers killed each other; Owen helped Robin out stopping a Joker-planted bomb, but they aren't exactly friends).

JerichoMyers

I was tempted to play Aqualad, only because I'm such a big fan but I don't know hwo I would go about playing him since not much was explored with him in season 2. Also, I have an interesting OC villain that isn't very power-based but more.... Dangerously intelligent then anything. He basically has a helmet that's hooked into his brain. It's basically a supercomputer that downloads information into his brain, and forces his brain to function at maximum levels, making him dangerously smart. This allows him to perceive many possible happenings before they happen, like getting punched in the noggin. He isn't the type to brawl out, play fisty-cuffs or exchange low for blow. He's a scrawny guy with too much imagination, imagination that's coming to life. Anyways, he could probably perceive one of the hero's about to kick his ass and no every maneuver they would use to do so..... And still let them do it. Why; because he isn't a fighter, doesn't know the first thing to do.
His motivation would be that humans in general are becoming too dependent on Hero's to save them from the villains. He's an ordinary guy who's trying to solve that problem, give humanity some self respect in consideration to their dependency. So, his first act is to kill a superhero, some one well known to alert the public that HERO'S CAN DIE! What do you think of that idea and gradually building off it? Character and motivation.

AribethAmkiir

Well, considering the DC Universe and the canon characters the players are interested in I would actually make him more powerful and give him a suit that could enhance his physical traits.  You're looking at something like Amazo (minus the power mimicry), I think.

It's a solid concept to play around with.  I usually prefer the GM to control the bad guys, but whatever the group wants.

JerichoMyers

GM playing bad guys is always a good thing, gives everyone a chance but if you're worried, I'm not a power player. The character I want to use, I'd rather him be known for his ingenuity, personality, and unique methods of terrorizing hero's and villains then identified by what powers he possess.

AribethAmkiir

It isn't so much as worrying about having an over powered PC to deal with, as much as player's interest dwindling or feeling being hurt because someone becomes too competitive or a number of other issues which can occur when a game becomes "you vs. me".

JerichoMyers

Trust me, I'm in love with this character and do my best role playing with him. Only issue I had is people auto-knowing this and that, or expecting some thing, that is completely random and out of the blue, and avoiding it. Other then that, with this character it's more based on the choices you make and battle of the minds. He has a very, very powerful and focused mental state, which makes it nearly impossible to infiltrate his mind. He isn't psychic or anything, the main danger remains in his unpredictability. But like I said, the you vs me thing isn't much of a problem in the end. People are more concerned about powers then characters themselves. That's what I'm getting, at the moment. Powers can be beaten with a touch of strategy and second thought.

AribethAmkiir

True.  Often though, in super hero stories, characters are their powers.  For instance M'Ghann supposedly has the potential of being more powerful than her uncle as far as telepathy (I think that's what was said in one episode), and she's a martian.  I could see possible tension between you and I if things were said like "you can't read his mind because of this, this, and this."  I'm the sort who likes to avoid confrontation and would just rather circumvent the entire situation if at all possible.  On the other hand, if we were to sit down and come together to form a plot in which we could compromise and make a fun environment for everyone it would be a different story.  In my experience, unfortunately, it is rare that two people online can ever actually do that.

insaneplots

A strong and focused mind is more like a fortress not unbeatable, just difficult.

This was a problem I saw when I offered up Syphon. powers alone; world breaker under the right circumestances, Character wise. all that power doesn't want to use and doesn't know how to use it or how it truly works.

JDrew Spider

It's not so much the power, but powers must have limits that are practical. I don't think anyone's character should be completely impervious.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

AribethAmkiir

Completely agree JD.

insaneplots

I always make my character with at least one major flaw in their powers. Syphon could absorb just about any form of energy and convert it into any other type and expel it. now on that description alone he seems powerful but his mind is his major weakness any telepath could render him useless. Also if he absorbs too much he goes critical. Causes him to unleash all of that raw power in one massive blast destroying just about everything in the radius. but it also drains his power completely and puts him into a coma for about a week. Unless someone like captain atom is there to reabsorb it. and even then beings like superman would be un-phased (it's not a specific type that would affect him just energy.)

JDrew Spider

Also since this is a roleplay and everyone must interact with each other like AribethAmkiir said, characters must be fun to interact with too. It reminds me of those marvel characters Eternity, Infinity, Death and Oblivion. Characters so powerful that they become almost 'fun deficient'. Same thing goes for characters that are to weak or just useless.

As for where we start off. I say carve our own version of season two.

Spider Hole
Apologies

Jmorty33

Everything sounds good to me. I actually like Jerichos idea for a villain, it reminds me of Prometheus without all the God modding crap he had in Cry for Justice.
Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Rayve13

I was thinking Prometheus as well Morty, with some Deathstroke thrown in, and a version of Lex Luthor's attitude applied to every 'superhero' instead of mostly just Superman.

AribethAmkiir

Jog my memory, who was Prometheus?

JDrew Spider

That guy who stole fire from the gods and gave it to man.

;D Kidding, but yea who is he? Forgot.

Spider Hole
Apologies

JerichoMyers

Quote from: Jmorty33 on May 29, 2012, 09:51:29 AM
Everything sounds good to me. I actually like Jerichos idea for a villain, it reminds me of Prometheus without all the God modding crap he had in Cry for Justice.
Thanks, I really appreciate that. The idea came when I kept seeing role plays with people trying to get these god mod powers every where. A lot of them would give these piss poor excuses for weaknesses, so it got me thinking...... Why not have a villain who isn't rich, isn't over powered but some one who is down right evil. A character who's ingenuity and drive to make his vision become a reality the scariest ability of all. And no offense towards people here, I've been on a site called gaia for the longest time with a lot of terrible role players.

Rayve13

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 29, 2012, 04:42:28 PM
Jog my memory, who was Prometheus?

Prometheus was sort of the anti-Batman. His parents were criminals gunned down by police, so he devoted his life to destroying police/law and order. He did the whole Bruce Wayne thing of training in all the skills he thought might come in handy, then added a lot of equipment and started his war. Along with a lot of weapons, he developed a helmet that let him download knowledge and physical skills directly into his brain. He used it mainly to fill in whatever gaps in knowledge he had (and that wasn't too many, as he had a genius-level intellect) and to gain the fighting skills of several of the DCU's best martial artists.

JerichoMyers

Wow....... After reading that, I can only assume the majority of you think I ripped off the prometheus character. Just so you all know, I had no idea who the guy was! Also, he can learn their moves but wouldn't he have to practice with them to actually know how to do said moves? Just seems sorta impractical, to an extent.

Rayve13

I absolutely believe that you didn't!I've had the same thing happen to me when making characters. I'll come up with an idea and then find out that it already exists.

As far as his ability to use the moves, the storyline way around that is a combination of him already being highly trained in several martial arts, so really it's more their style than specific moves, and the exoskeleton of his battle armor helping him move like they do.

insaneplots

One of the plot point for my Original is that she ends up losing the use of her legs so encountering enemies with exoskeletons would be a good precursor to her final reveal as a hero cause she starts off as someone one of the former school bound heros know.Tim Drake, Artemis wally, she's a mechanics daughter but gifted to a degree, when she's shot or crippled in some accident her meta powers awaken. Eventually she gets a suit with exoskeleton legs that enables her to walk again with her technopathic powers. It's a good cover cause who is gonna connect a crippled person to being an armor clad vigilante.

AribethAmkiir

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there are no more original ideas out there.  There are just a few dozen different ways to spin every single idea.   ;D