Torg?

Started by Apple of Eris, September 19, 2007, 12:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

Anyone interested in running such a game? I don't have the rules anymore, but I'd love to play in a freeform style game set in the Torg multiverse (say a few months to a year after the invasion begins).

Please? Anyone? Bueller?
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

HairyHeretic

Didn't someone release a new version of this recently? I'm thinking Mongoose maybe.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Swedish Steel

You two are showing your age, methinks. :)
I heard about this game, but it was when I still were young enough to only play Swedish rpgs. What's it about?
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

HairyHeretic

Everything.

Universes collide, spilling out over Earth. You have cyberpunk goings on in Japan, dinosaurs running south america, and so on. The PCs have the ability to impose their own reality on the area they're in, hence they can use their cyberware in a magical region, cast spells at the dinosaurs and so on. Normally the 'rules' of the strongest reality take over, so ordinary folks are screwed :)

I never really played it, just remember a few bits and pieces.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valerian

...Torg?  Crap.  Crap, crap, crap.  Just when I'm thinking I have too many games here already.  But I love Torg, even though I can't stand the system -- the old system, at least, is terrible, but I haven't seen the retread yet, which I hear is completely different.  A friend of mine and I once worked out a GURPS version of the rules, which wasn't bad, but I'm not sure I still have it...

Anyway, I'm probably safe, since unfortunately I'm guessing there won't be anyone around to run it -- whatever the ruleset, Torg GMs are extremely rare, it seems.  But hope springs eternal.

Hairy has the gist of it... and there's an article here for anyone curious about the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torg.  I just always liked the fact that you could have an elven spellcaster fighting lizardmen alongside a cyborg and a Victorian vampire hunter.  It really is about everything, basically...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

MadPanda

Holy cow, now THAT title brings up old, old memories!

I think I have most of it sitting around in storage someplace.  And the deck of cards, too.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Swedish Steel

Awww hell...I shouldn't have read that. Everytime I come up with an idea I find out someone already have thought of it while I was still a young un'. So damn hard to be original these days.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Apple of Eris

Now if only someone would run the game. How else can a ninja, an excommunicated cyberpriest, elf, victorian big game hunter, pulp super hero, and core earth realm runner all play together?

Come on, doesn't anyone want to let us save the world and its rich possibilities?
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

MadPanda

There are only a few basic RPG ideas out there, and they all swap details every couple of editions  ;D  To really push the envelope, you have to do something...odd.

But Torg was one of the first that really tried to do everything under the sun all at the same time, with some very entertaining results.  I'm fond of the Tharkoldu (cybernetic, technomagical demons) for no particularly good reason.

In Memory of Bishrook

Amberghylles

Oh dear lord... I did run TORG back in the day... Still have everything but the cards...  That system was junk in many many ways, but the spirit of the games was always cool.

And Yeah, how can you not love the beautiful chaos of the setting. 

MadPanda

I even have that cool red-and-blue 20-sider, still.

In Memory of Bishrook

Apple of Eris

Mmmmm.... chaos.  ;D

And that wasn't just a die, it was an eternity shard!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

I still have the cards... and the 20-sided, but mine's only white with black numbers.  No fair.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Amberghylles

Oh yes, the cool multi-colored die... I do still use mine.

ZK

I always wanted to get Torg. :(
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Vandren

Interested, but only barely familiar with the setting (a little has come my way through the years).  Which would probably be good for a clueless character.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei