Interest Check: Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy

Started by CaptainErotica, September 14, 2008, 04:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainErotica

This is just a feeler to see if there is any interest in a 40k Dark Heresy game. I had both the core rules and Inquisitors guide on my hard drive, but my desktop is fired, so unless/until I recover my drive i won't be running it, but I'd still like to gage interest. If there is enough of it I can try and run it using another system.

Dark Heresy is fairy new so I imagine not many of you are familiar with it. However, it works almost exactly like Warhammer fantasy if you have played that. I don't have all the details set, but the players would be a retinue of acolytes for one of the Inquisitor's and be sent on missions by him/her. I have a few overall plots brewing in my head and can flesh them out once i know for sure this will work.

HairyHeretic

To my knowledge at least 2 attempts have been made to run a DH game. I got a small way into the intro scenario before it fizzled out. I'm not sure the second even got that far. If you want to try running one, best of luck to you.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

magnamos

Warhammer 40k sounds much fun. I once played the Warhammer 40k and Epic 40k. I never got into Inquisitor or Necromunda and the more "Squad based" Variations of there system. If someone is willing to explain the basics to me I would join in.

HairyHeretic

In Dark Heresy you play the acolytes of an Inquisitor. Drawn from all ranks of Imperial society, you work against the forces that would threaten the Imperium ... the mutant, the heretic, the alien, the witch. You have the power of the Inquisition behind you, so in theory at least have the ability to call upon anything up to and including an Exterminatus (destroying an entire world).

You seek out and destroy cults and threats to the stability of the Imperium, generally working from the shadows. Typical characters could include assassins, ex guardsmen, sages and techpriests.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*Raises hand.* 

I'm intrested if the pace is right. 

I think I was in one and lost track of it because I thought it was dead and wasn't.  ~_~;;
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

magnamos

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 14, 2008, 06:38:11 AM
In Dark Heresy you play the acolytes of an Inquisitor. Drawn from all ranks of Imperial society, you work against the forces that would threaten the Imperium ... the mutant, the heretic, the alien, the witch. You have the power of the Inquisition behind you, so in theory at least have the ability to call upon anything up to and including an Exterminatus (destroying an entire world).

You seek out and destroy cults and threats to the stability of the Imperium, generally working from the shadows. Typical characters could include assassins, ex guardsmen, sages and techpriests.

Does this mean you can be a Cullexus Assasin and tease psionic powered thingies all day long? You know, I always wanted to know how a Chaos Sorcerer would react until you castrate him... mentally.

HairyHeretic

You can play an assassin, yes. I'd need to check the rules if you could become a Culexus, but I don't think so. Unfortunately a friend has borrowed by rulebook at present, so ..

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kongming

Cullexus assassins can't really be made under the rules. A website somewhere has a sort of "This is close enough." way of building them, but even then it's more for just "Untouchables" that are assassins - as the Cullexus assassins are too disturbing to be around*, they wouldn't make good PCs.

That being said, others can be handled: Callidus (Syn-skin + the right weapons + polymorphine), Eversor (combat drugs + arrange for a self-destruct system) and Vindicare (sniper weapons and special ammo).

*Even relative to normal. Your own team would constantly be affected by the aura, being afraid, passing out, vomiting etc. They really are that creepy just by dint of existing.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

magnamos

You're right, it's probably nothing to aim for. Are there also these mad Inquisitors who also employ the powers of chaos to fight the chaos? I once saw a campaingsetting played out by GW with two Inquisitors and there Aprentice duking it out. One considered the other one as "Fallen to the Chaos" while the other one considered his way just as "ressarch" of what he tries to destroy.

HairyHeretic

I'm pretty sure I saw a 'psychic null' package around, which you could take to get a Cullexus-light I guess.

Radical Inquisitors do exist in the setting, but it would probably take a while for the PCs to figure out if their boss was a radical, assuming he was carefull in what he did.

Still, Disciples of  the Dark Gods will be out soon, and that probably offers a lot more options for getting Chaos into your game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

I'm still looking for a system game (Total noob alert.) so I would be interested if applicable.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Muse

Well, seems the freeform people are beating us out.  Anyone else/ 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CaptainErotica

Yeah i tend to agree with HH. Dark Heresy is still relatively new and can be a bit complex. I think the free form will work better.  Plus it looks like i have a D&D and Star wars game to get set up.