⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. {high fantasy}{open freeform sandbox}{a tavern for all}

Started by paperdoll, December 28, 2018, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paperdoll

A tavern, since ancient times, has served as the heart of a community, a blessing for those on the road and a source of free information about the surrounding area. This particular tavern⏤near the riverside in Bonyth, the imperial city of Tesaryn⏤has kept up the tradition for nearly a century. Enter the Devil's Cup, and you will instantly find yourself enthralled by its warm ambiance, the mouth-watering aroma of hot meals and an array of hard liquor that might even explain the choice of the tavern's name.

You'll find a variety of local and exotic cuisines to select from, even a warm bed on the upper floors for the right price⸻

but what you may not expect is that the Devil's Cup is more than just a busy tavern.

The establishment stands upon the Devil's Pit, a pub infamous amongst the ranks of criminals throughout Tesaryn for being the hub of all things illegal. The location of the Devil's Pit is kept from the general public and higher authorities through bribes, blackmail, influence and the sheer fear of its owner instilled into the hearts of every patron should they ever think to cross her or her establishment. The Devil's Pit is connected with tunnels that lead to the docks and remote places within the city, originally prepared in case of a raid by the Queen's Guard but now used for the slave trade and other smuggling ventures of the establishment's shareholders. Where the tavern may be frequented by all sorts of patrons, including upstanding citizens, the Pit is only meant for the fallen. From corrupt lords and ladies to lowly thieves and assassins, the Pit is a second home to the plague of deviance within Tesaryn's society, but only if there's coin in their pockets.

Though the Pit serves many purposes for the wicked, it derives its name from its fighting pits; the central attraction. Bets are placed and riches are gambled as the contestants fight to the death. This attraction also serves as a distraction from what goes on within the darkest corners of the Pit's structure.

The tavern is open to all, as is the Pit but only if you know what to say, when to say it and who to say it to.
⸻⸻⸻

You may or may not have seen a rather small post with a more rough version of the idea in the Non-Adult RP Requests section but only because I wasn't an approved member at that time. Since the idea is better suited for 18+ themes, I decided to delete the post there, and come with something more solid. The description you've read above is only a very brief intro to the Devil's Cup. Details about its structure, owner and noteworthy patrons will be either added to the story thread when it starts or in the world-building forum. Some things to remember are as follows;

♚- It will be a thread open to anyone wanting to write in a classic fantasy setting. A hub for thieves, adventures, travelers, mages, assassins, paladins, warriors, pirates, bards, etcetera, etcetera. There are no limitations in that regard. There could be brawls, arguments, discussions, songs, tales, banters or just your character's drunk ramblings, everything goes as long as it is IC.

♚- All characters are welcome, regardless of gender or race as long as they are compatible with a high/classic fantasy setting. (It'd be best if they're somewhat humanoid, at the least.)

♚- Just please, don't godmod.

♚- If you're actively participating in the thread, you can also use the Devil's Cup as a setting for your own stories in other forums, as long as you link it to the main thread.

♚- This won't be a typical group RP. It'll be a freeform sandbox which won't follow a specific storyline, where you'll either be a patron or an employee and the GM (which for now, is me, obviously) will only be responsible for your interaction with the characters under her control.

♚- It'll follow the principle of free interaction! Play with whomever you wish. My own character will be involved as well and I'll be actively participating in keeping the action flowing.

♚- Whether you take the status of a patron or an establishment employee ( for example bartender, tavern bard, waitress etc ) is up to you!

♚- The missing pieces, as I've said, will be added to the start of the thread which will include a detailed structure and visual representation of the tavern and pit, a menu (maybe), intro to the Pit's owner and a very brief character template that you can include in your posts on the RP thread.

♚- I need at least six characters to have the status of shareholders. If your character has enough wealth and influence to fit that status, PM me a brief intro.

Express your interest right here. And if you have any questions, ask them here as well. My terminology about some things might confuse you. I'm not new to running a story but I haven't done so on a forum before. I'd generally call this an OPEN group RP, which is ever expanding.

Character sheet thread: ⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { lore + structure + character archive }

OOC thread: ⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { ooc }

IC thread: ⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { ic }{ a tavern for all }{ open high-fantasy sandbox }

⸻⸻⸻

firepyre

Looks like an interesting idea. Is there a character sheets thread, and character template in the works, or do we just post here?

Ephemeral

paperdoll

Quote from: firepyre on December 28, 2018, 10:51:25 AM
Looks like an interesting idea. Is there a character sheets thread, and character template in the works, or do we just post here?

Quote from: Ephemeral on December 28, 2018, 01:21:24 PM
I'd be interested.

You'll get a very small template (only the important things; class, gender, race outfit etc) to include in your posts on the RP thread.

Noted!

PassionateDesire

AnnieSatin

firepyre

Alright, well here's what I'm thinking for my character. Not much in the way of ideas of how to tie him in or what to do with him just yet, but hopefully he piques some interest:

Sejic Stroud
Wardmage

Blurb: Sejic has been called many things by the ignorant. Warlock, Diabolist, Ritualist, Cultist to name just a few. It irks him no end for his craft to be so poorly understood. His is the study of thaumaturgical diagrams, or in layman's terms, magic circles. Likely long affiliated with the Devil's cup, a regular patron at the very least, he is also a freelance mage, able to help with all manner of magical issues. Provided you can put up with his eccentricities, of course...

Description: Sejic is tall, well built and weathered. He might be a mage, but clearly he is not the type to remain holed up with his books. His age is somewhat difficult to determine; though his appearance could not be more than forty, even thirty perhaps, with dark brown hair, and a thick, well groomed moustache, his eyes suggest experience far greater. He dresses well, in dark fabrics that suggest at least a modicum of personal wealth, well tailored with a personalised flair and a flash of colour. He carries no weaponry, but is self assured nonetheless, having no need of it. He has few visible markings to distinguish him, but hidden beneath his shirt is a patchwork of tattoos, protective wards inked directly into his skin - why give his foes opportunity to analyse his defences by wearing them openly?

Personality: Sejic has a confidence that borders upon arrogance, backed by a keen intellect that few can match. Combined with his profession, this often serves to make him a somewhat polarising character; some people get along famously with him, and some, well, most really, probably think he's a bit of a git. As something of a thaumaturgical savant, few things pique his interest more than magical theory, though, with his own brand being somewhat technical, few have the mathematical inclination enough to actually follow him, and his habitual dismissal of other branches of magic does little to help his cause. While demons might make excellent servants, they tend to be singularly terrible companions, making Sejic a somewhat lonely individual.

Bibliophilia

Chulanowa

I've got multiple ideas for this; will there be multiple character spots to accommodate?  ;D

paperdoll

@firepyre I absolutely love him! Tesaryn is not very friendly to mages/warlocks/witches, though with the right connections they can survive and even thrive in Bonyth. The establishment's owner isn't very fond of mages as they tend to bring trouble but reluctantly grants them shelter during the height of trials held under the Red Circle.

I think I shall make a character sheet thread, after all, it won't be a necessary requirement but those who wish to share more about their characters can use it.

@Chulanowa, of course, it's up to you. If you can introduce and play multiple characters, you go ahead!

As for the rest of you all, your interests are noted! I count 6. B)

Sain

Still interested even if it's in adult section now! I'll snatch firepyre's template. I'll probably bring in some more charas later on as well.

Parant Qvanmoir
Paladin of the Sun King

Blurp: Among the myriad of deities and demigods sits the Sun King of high skies. Sitting on his blazing throne of celestial fire he watches. Though his angels take on the role of messengers in times of true need, it's his mortal followers onto whom falls the duty to see his light delivered in accordance to a God's divine will. Or so it ought to be. Unfortunately, the interpretation of said will oft leaves many of the Sun King's chosen off the heat of the brightest path.  Parant carries the embers of divine breath once entrusted to him with rebellious resignation towards his quest. Though every bit the haughty and arrogant paladin that you might expect an aasimar to become with him the flames of judgement have died. Instead he makes home at Devil's Cup, adding to the babble of the tavern a jagged tongue, polished shield, and an occasional touch of healing. He waits there, sometimes leaving whenever a traveler passes by with rumors of someone somewhere knowing another someone or something with the gift of true resurrection.

Description: Parant's presence embodies a stereotype of aasimar paladin with a jaded dull of bronze instead of gold. The armaments he carries were crafted to fit his form and task; heavy with more supporting plating than ceremonial decor. Beneath them rests a body trained to carry shield and sword side by side with the warriors. Gifts of the Sun King mark where scars would be without his blessing. At the center, most obvious of them all, sits the eclipsed sphere smack middle on Parant's forehead. There's an almost malignant cockiness to his voice which gets exceptionally pronounced every time Parant is elicited into laughter or shouts.

Personality: What his year-less brow conceals his bouts of youthful ignorance make blatantly obvious. Though a bit calmer than when he first tried ordering Pearl wine at Devli's Cup there's a constant smoldering of agitation lingering in his interactions. He is unused to people not bending out his path when divine authority of his patron is brought to table. In passing weeks however, Parant has been putting effort to channel those frustrations into tiny flickering beginnings of self deprecating humor. With it Parant finds the journey of mixing Sun King's tenets with the seedy patrons of Devil's Pub further on the tolerable side each day. If he's to sit there and wait for a miracle to stumble down to these wretched alleys, well at least he's going to make a few friends to laugh with.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

PassionateDesire

Susi Johannisbeeren

Name: Susi Johannisbeeren
Race: Halfling
Job: Maker of potions

Description:
Susi is annoyingly happy in the morning, a friendly face in the midday and a cozy companion in the evening. Everything is friendly about Susi. She's the type who has more friends than would ever need. They're people on other dimensions who are pen pals with Susi. Susi likes to wear nice and comfortable clothes and sensible shoes. She owns a lot of scarfs and trinkets that she sometimes wears but mostly Susi is not the sort for flashy outfits or sexy shoes. Susi has round curves and big feet and long hair and is a very typical halfling woman but she's also very charismatic and outgoing.
Height: 4'
Weight: 85 lbs
Hair colour: Brown
Eye colour: Brown
Distinguishing marks: Tattoo (Green apple on left ass cheek)
Number of siblings: 4

Background:
Susi has lived most of her life in a tavern. Her parents owned a famous old establishment in the capital city The Four Hens, a big three-story tavern with big fluffy beds and big healthy servings for everyone with coins. Susi didn't care much for serving stews or ales and most of her life she was seen as a curious person with a tendency to get in trouble. Susi also showed signs of a bright intelligence and since his father's attempts to get Susi married off failed by one rejected suiter at a time he had no other options than to give Susi permission to enroll at the wizards university. Susi didn't really excel in magic that much. She managed to learn a few spells but what she really did best was potion brewing. Susi finished her education with top remarks in everything related to potions. Two years later Susi had made a name for herself where she's set up a small shop in the basement of "The Devils Cup". The shop is a bit of a secret but people who knows who's who also knows about Susi's shop. Here she mostly sells hangover cures and love potions but anything can be bought if you have gold. Do you want to enhance certain body parts for one night only, Susi can manage that. Want to change your body into a different gender or race for a couple of hours - no problem! Do you desire the stamina of an enraged minotaur in heat, Susi has what you need and the only question that she asks is how you're going to pay.
The thing about Susi's potions:  Magic isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Susi's potions always works it's just that they don't always do what it's supposed to do. In front of Susi's shop hangs a big list of disclaimers for anyone who drinks her potions avoiding any responsibilities for any mishap such as: accidental demon summoning and involuntary tentacle growth.

Susi is good at:
- Making friends
- Playing chess
- Storytelling
- Potionmaking
- Dancing

Personality
Susi is energetic, hardworking and all in all openhearted. She doesn't judge and tries to understand and accommodate everyone. She's also a team player that likes to make friends. She desires neither fame nor gold but she values her success in her friends. Susi dislikes shouty confrontation and wants's to compromise quickly if this happens. Susi dreams about owning her own shop and being a respectable member of the wizards community. She works hard to make a name for herself but even so, sometimes her curiosity takes the better of her. In her free time, Susi plays chess and she's the local chess champion of the Tavern. She also collects pretty sea shells and similar expotic trinkets.

paperdoll

Update; I have made a thread for character sheets! Though, they are not a requirement. It's up to you whether you want to post one or not. The post also has a lot more details about the setting. You all should check it out!

⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { lore + structure + character archive }

If you do post a sheet, use whatever template you want but please add a 'status' section.

Statuses;

- Patron.
- Shareholder. [ only for selective characters ]
- Bartender.
- Serving Girl.
- Fighter.
- Courtesan.
- Smuggler/businessman.
- Seller/buyer at the Devil's Tail
- Literally, anything you want to be. As long as it fits into the setting.

Bibliophilia

I got up my first character, and planning to put up another.  Possibly a waitress.

PassionateDesire

Freja is amazing. I want to give her a huge hug and as a Scandinavian, I can actually pronounce her name.

Anyway since Susi is going on the daretaking exercise to befriend Freja I'm in need of someone who creates the minotaur bouncer of the Tavern. Really, anyone who can safe Susi before Freya goes into besærk will do. :)

paperdoll

AH, I absolutely adore all of the characters! I'm def gonna throw my own OC into the mix.

Ephemeral

Lili

Name: Lili
Race: Succubus
Job: Recently Promoted to Acquisitions!

Description:

Lili is small, petite in almost all ways. Some might say too skinny, or too clumsy to be attractive. But the girl has a cute charm about her. Her breasts are small, but her skin is a soft pale pink color, and her eyes are piercing and enchanting. She's also been told she smells nice! Her tail also seems to have a penchant for occasionally molesting her. Naughty tail!

Height: 4'11
Weight: 95lbs
Hair colour: White - Long. Well past her breasts.
Eye colour: Glacier Blue
Distinguishing marks: Pink Skin, Large horns.
Number of siblings: 6,215 that she knows of. Could be more since she left.

Background:

Lili wants to prove herself! She's a succubus with ambition! It's too bad she has a horrible time actually following through with things. Her father, A prominent Demon, had such high hopes for the cute succubus, but I guess after 6,000+ children, one of them was bound to end up like Lili. She spent most of life in the contracts department. You know the place. Small cramped desk space, boring office talk. Sure, her job was important, like, who was going to ensure all of the contracts were valid and iron clad? People didn't like giving up their souls, so any loop holes could be used. However, Lili longed for something more. She wanted to be in the acquisitions department like all of her brothers and sisters. Lots of renown in there! So after much begging and pleading with her father, he allowed her the chance to go topside. (Thats what she calls it) and try her hand at obtaining souls for her father.

Lili is good at:
- Invading people's personal space
- Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
- Being oblivious to people's intentions and desires
- saying what she is thinking without a filter
- Spying on people doing lewd things.

Personality
Lili is rather naive to things top side. She hasn't had much experience with the mortal realm. But she has read lots about it! Sure, the books where she is from is skewed and may be outdated, but she makes due with what she has. The succubus herself has an intense desire to prove her worth to her family, and show them all just how great she can be at this job. However, most of her family thinks she is probably the worst succubus there is. Lili is also known for not wearing very much. Usually scraps of clothing she finds lying around. So guard your inn rooms! Lili is not like other members of her family. She doesn't exude sexuality and flirts with ease. She's clumsy, a bit flightly, and easily distracted!

paperdoll

Quote from: paperdoll on December 29, 2018, 05:56:26 PM
Update; I have made a thread for character sheets! Though, they are not a requirement. It's up to you whether you want to post one or not. The post also has a lot more details about the setting. You all should check it out!

⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { lore + structure + character archive }

If you do post a sheet, use whatever template you want but please add a 'status' section.

Statuses;

- Patron.
- Shareholder. [ only for selective characters ]
- Bartender.
- Serving Girl.
- Fighter.
- Courtesan.
- Smuggler/businessman.
- Seller/buyer at the Devil's Tail
- Literally, anything you want to be. As long as it fits into the setting.

Ephemeral, that's a marvelous character! Please, post the sheet in the link given in the quoted message and include a status! Thank you!

Sain

They look really neat! Should we have some OOC thread for chatting about the game?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Drakan

Hmm I see a lot of potential in this.  I did have a question however. How would the idea of the devil's cup having its own brewmaster?  That way it could allow for house signature libations, to go along with fun bwahahaha

paperdoll

Quote from: Sain on December 30, 2018, 09:23:40 AM
They look really neat! Should we have some OOC thread for chatting about the game?

It is done!

⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. { ooc }

Quote from: Drakan on December 30, 2018, 09:29:33 AM
Hmm I see a lot of potential in this.  I did have a question however. How would the idea of the devil's cup having its own brewmaster?  That way it could allow for house signature libations, to go along with fun bwahahaha

I think that's a great idea, Drakan! A tavern can't be any good without a brewmaster.

Remiel

Is there going to be a vague story arch, or is this just going to be a sandbox for general tomfoolery?

Either way, I think it's a great idea.

Miss Nyx

Definitely intrigued. Once I’m certain I can dedicate the time I’ll work on a character. :3

paperdoll

Quote from: Remiel on December 31, 2018, 11:01:10 PM
Is there going to be a vague story arch, or is this just going to be a sandbox for general tomfoolery?

Either way, I think it's a great idea.

The tavern's lore and entire setting has been taken out of the story of my main OC. And as it is a story, all events follow a plot. But my general aim is to have a setting for high-fantasy characters to interact in, with a sort-of freehand for the writers without the need for detailed plotting. I love IC banters and interactions. SO, I'd say general tomfoolery.

I'm glad you think so!

Quote from: MistressNyx on January 01, 2019, 05:07:09 AM
Definitely intrigued. Once I’m certain I can dedicate the time I’ll work on a character. :3

Ah, of course! Take all the time you need.