Firefly interest thread - They still make those?

Started by NiceTexasGuy, December 10, 2011, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiceTexasGuy

Yes, children, it's yet another Firefly interest thread.  Why will this one be different from all the others?

Well .... unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak wit... oh wait, wrong story.

Honestly, I don't know.  I've been in a couple on E, one fizzled out and the other I had to drop out due to some outside issues.  Then there was the munchkin version I found on another forum where practically every character but mine was either a former Parliamentary operative or an escapee from the Academy.  Ooooookay.

But I feel that it's just an idea I don't want to let die, so I'm determined to give it another shot.

Can't stop the signal, right?

Okay, so, here's the idea:

First, do we want to play canon characters or have an all new original cast? 

If we play the Serenity crowd, I'd like to consider setting it in the period between the TV show and the movie.  Yeah, tricky, that, but I loved the entire package.  The obvious other choice would be right after the events of the movie.  It's open for discussion, of course.

If we're looking at an original crew on a different ship, I need to step up on the soap box for a second:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
All that's needed to make a ship fly is (1) somebody needs to own it, (2) somebody needs to captain it, (3) somebody needs to drive it, and (4) somebody needs to fix it.  These can be four or more different characters, or some characters can do more than one of these jobs.  Obviously, there can be others.  A copilot.  A gunslinger.  Five gunslingers.  But for the love of all that's holy, the ship doesn't have a billet for a doctor and a Registered Companion. 

There might be a doctor on board for some reason (maybe he's on the run from the law and trying to lay low) but a ship that size with a crew of a half dozen or less isn't normally going to have a doctor.  Get real.  Same for the Registered Companion.  If Inara had been a master chef or a concert pianist, does that mean every ship in the 'verse would need a master chef or concert pianist on board? 

If you want to be a doctor, a whore, a chef, or a piano player, and can think of a reason to be on this boat, then fine.  These are not open positions needing to be filled. Okay?  Thank you.

:: steps down off the soap box ::

So, the general idea is to keep the number of players small and try to keep the game flowing.  If we play the original series, I'll NPC the characters who aren't picked.  (If that proves overwhelming, perhaps another player can help out there.)  If we go with characters of our own making,  I would either not play a character except as NPC's, or play the most minor of characters (maybe a long-term passenger).

Then, I figure I'll be the one to throw things at the crew from time to time as the GM-like person, unless someone else wants the job and I'll play a crew member.

Again, the main thrust is keep the number of players small and keep things flowing.

Any interest?
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

ShadowFox89

I might be interested, possibly even captain. I would prefer original characters, though it always depends on what whoever else joins in says.

As opposed to Mal, the OC would be a disheartened Alliance soldier who cashed in his soldier's pay for a ship.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Niferbelle

I would be interested in a Firefly game with original characters.

RubySlippers

I wouldn't mind a woman noble of Persephone or an adventuress Black Sheep from the civilized planets with the funding sources to buy a ship, if there is adventure in the offing.

Its a hobby she can wear pants, use her long blade and modest other skills and lines of credit and play the scoundrel letting the Captain and crew do the work. ;)

Primarch

I'm very up for this. Also with a preference for OC. I'll gladly take up a mechanic to get the core crew filled up.

Capone

I'd be interested in this type of game with an original crew myself.

To address the soap box, though, it all requires some level of creativity. How about a doctor that can't get a job with Alliance planets because he had drug addictions or other unhealthy habits that got him kicked out, and so now he does what he can on some junker floating about in space.

Similar themes can go with a companion. Possibly someone who was flunked out, dropped out, maybe never wanted to be a companion in the first place but uses the skills best she can, etc.

To me, there's no problem as long as the player would implement some creativity.

Since E has been slow lately, consider me down as a potential interest. I'll have to think of what sort of character I'd like to play, what reason they'd have to adventure into the great unknown.

Teke

I'd be up for playing Was... I mean our OC pilot.  I'm thinking not nearly as nervous as Wash, but not quite as gun or lady crazy as Jayne, but somewhere in the middle. We'll see.

Tex, I hope that you don't mind playing a second game with me?
A&A

Teke

Quote from: Capone on December 10, 2011, 09:20:07 PM
Similar themes can go with a companion. Possibly someone who was flunked out, dropped out, maybe never wanted to be a companion in the first place but uses the skills best she can, etc.

So, in other words, a "registered" whore?  Actually, not just Mal-speak.
A&A

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Teke on December 10, 2011, 09:33:08 PM
I'd be up for playing Was... I mean our OC pilot.  I'm thinking not nearly as nervous as Wash, but not quite as gun or lady crazy as Jayne, but somewhere in the middle. We'll see.

Tex, I hope that you don't mind playing a second game with me?

A mix between Wash and Jayne.... Oh gods...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Teke

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 10, 2011, 09:38:29 PM
A mix between Wash and Jayne.... Oh gods...
I'm still trying to kinda figure it out myself, but I'm thinking a slightly crazy, "Let's not get into this fight, but just in case, ooh, I have this flamethrower!" kind of personality.  Still want to have to put up with that as Captain?  XD
A&A

ShadowFox89

It could prove an interesting challenge. Haven't figured on a personality for my guy just yet. Something like Mal, but from the other side of the coin.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NiceTexasGuy

Thank you all for the interest.

Due to an unexpected emergency, I don't know when I'll be back... but since I'm not really necessary here anyway, please put together a crew and start looking for work.  Maybe I can join up when I'm able.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
==============

RubySlippers

Kaylyn Beautroix
Eccentric Wealthy Woman of Persephone

A classic member of Persephone's elite she is the black sheep of the family and whose major assets are her looks, masterful skill with the long blade with related unarmed combat is actually a formidable fighter, some skill in the pistol, an education that was quite fair, social graces and various lines of funds plus is a citizen of the Alliance with an Indenticard.

Recently took an interest is seeing the Verse' so wants to by a ship and let a crew run it so she can explore.

-> Very basic idea of the character think of her looking like a bimbo, with a really finely crafted long blade and pistol and not having to worry much about money even after buying a ship. But likely will be the kind of woman that gets into trouble on occassion. <-

NiceTexasGuy

Just a little addendum, I might be coming online from time to time out of boredom or curiosity or needing the distraction, but I doubt if I'll be in the right frame of mine for plotting or posting.

Quote from: Capone on December 10, 2011, 09:20:07 PM

To address the soap box, though, it all requires some level of creativity. How about a doctor that can't get a job with Alliance planets because he had drug addictions or other unhealthy habits that got him kicked out, and so now he does what he can on some junker floating about in space.

To me, there's no problem as long as the player would implement some creativity.

Right, I'm not saying there can't be a doctor or a companion, I'm just saying there doesn't have to be.   I've seen a lot of groups attempting to get a game going and the attitude seems to be one of "I'll play the doctor, but we still need a companion" and I was just trying to avoid that.

===
==============

Teke

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 10, 2011, 11:58:06 PM
Kaylyn Beautroix
Eccentric Wealthy Woman of Persephone
A classic member of Persephone's elite she is the black sheep of the family and whose major assets are her looks, masterful skill with the long blade with related unarmed combat is actually a formidable fighter, some skill in the pistol, an education that was quite fair, social graces and various lines of funds plus is a citizen of the Alliance with an Indenticard.

Recently took an interest is seeing the Verse' so wants to by a ship and let a crew run it so she can explore.

-> Very basic idea of the character think of her looking like a bimbo, with a really finely crafted long blade and pistol and not having to worry much about money even after buying a ship. But likely will be the kind of woman that gets into trouble on occassion. <-
Far be it from me to make suggestions about other people's characters, but I'm trying to find any kind of weakness of your character Ruby.  She's a black sheep, but would still have contacts in the upper class, she's a good fighter, she's rich enough to buy a ship and still has what would amount to unlimited money, a great education and people skills, and is a recognized citizen.  I'm just not seeing anything but strengths there.  More than that, what would the point be in looking for work?  We would essentially just be her personal limosine service as she pays our way across the 'Verse.

Now, having some starting cash and ship, and maybe very difficult ways of getting to other money sources (read: missions) and being completely cut off and outcast from her former life with only her education and skills to live by until she can get her ragtag crew to get her money again.

I mean, my char will have fairly good piloting skills, ok to fair shooting skills, but is probably going to be a "little" kooky and you don't really want to take him out into public all that much and isn't going to have much in the way of money.  He'll have some guns(and will pick up whatever he finds to keep or fence), and maybe a couple of contacts, but he's not going to be anywhere close to perfect.

Please don't take this as I'm not liking your character, but she just seems a little nerfed to me.
A&A

RubySlippers

I didn't say ample lines of credit she can tap some of her own sources if needed say her trust fund the family can't touch but not the families extensive income and some small investments.

And she is pretty much eccentric, that is not always a good thing. She will normally dress like the picture and think she is a buccaneer from the Earth That Was literature and movies. And her only big advantage she is a citizen with an Identicard and likely pays into the health care system and taxes.

I will note most foppish nobles were dangerous with a long blade and could brawl on Persephone and a pistol she is at best a fair shot its not her prefered weapon and she might have one for use if she has to.

But I figure after buying the ship you and the crew are to make her one big investment work and make her money, since she likely sunk most of her available savings into it before they blocked her family accounts.

An example lets say a lady fair is being accosted by bar thugs she would likely intervene even if a whore with dashing rapier and derring do ,okay I need to toss in fairly athletic, and likely get in to deep at times on some worlds. After all she is a charming noble but still has the she a a noble and the commoners are well common and even out of the family at home she is still a noble outcast to the common. Remember the good doctor his good manners did cause issues but she is like that and condescending about it your all HER employees and well common just maybe amusing common.

I plan to work on other skills in the game right now she had a noble education likely decent not a Companion level. knows etiquette, is dangerous with a long blade but come on its not a gun and brawling has limits in the game, has some money not alot but can tape a little something each month as a boost to her income and is likely fit. And will be socially appealing save she looks down on the commoners as just not of her station. And well is a citizen and your going to need someone the Alliance will talk to your all likely scum if your not holding an Identicard to some officers.

I'm still working on her but I plan to not have her be good at everything your character is far more well-rounded and worldly she is pretty much a classic noble who was expected to marry nicely and be a good girl so the education was focused on that and her hobbies.

NiceTexasGuy

I know I said "you guys take it and run with it" but to be practical, somebody needs to take the lead, and since I started the interest thread, I should go ahead and do that.

Another note for everyone which I apologize for not putting in the first post ... I understand that sex happens, but what I'm wanting to do is roleplay adventures based on the Firefly universe, not just "hookups in space."

So, how does everyone feel about this:

I'll play a recurring character, Col. Thaddeus Green, who will not normally be on the ship.  Col. Green owned a small shipping business before the war.  When the War for Independence (which the purplebellies call the Unification War) started, my character spent a great deal of his own money raising a regiment to fight for the Independents.  The war left him much much less prosperous and in ill health.  He is still seen as a pillar of the community, however, and most of his entourage (close business associates, loyal managers, some bodyguard type valets, etc) are former browncoats who served in his regiment.  Most of his ships were lost in the war.  The ship in question, a Firefly class vessel, the Musashi Maru, was one of the few that survived.  It is one of the assets he is trying to sell off -- basically in preparation for his death.

As money was tight and he could not find a buyer outright, he "sold" it to (ShadowFox89's character), basically agreeing to carry the note.  So, ShadowFox89's character is the de facto "owner" and captain, though if he doesn't find enough work to keep making the payments, the ship is forfeit back to the Colonel.  Since the Colonel doesn't really want the ship back, he might not be too quick to repossess it... leaving SF a little leeway on the payments.  (We might agree on some backstory for the two meeting up in the war, even though they were on opposite sides?)

My idea is that the Colonel will occasionally appear in person, might occasionally throw some business your way, and might occasionally ask for "favors" (especially if the last couple of payments were a little late or short.)

SF in turn needs to come up with a crew.  It looks like we have five other people interested.  Without me, there could be six on the ship.  I think that should be the upper limit.

Teke is the one who expressed an idea in a particular sort of character, so let's say he's going to play the pilot with a penchant for blowing things up (hopefully not his own ship).

Primarch has expressed an interest in playing a mechanic.

So, basically, we're shiny, and anyone else we come up with is just icing on the cake.  So please, if the rest of you are still interested, please come up with a character idea and let's get it worked out.

A special note for Ruby, who has provided the most complete idea thusfar.  Ruby, you may not remember but we were briefly involved in a Firefly roleplay which I got in on just before it died.  You weren't very cooperative with me at the time (I was playing Simon to your Kaylee.)  Since then, I've seen the problems you've had with other groups.  Therefore, I'm inclined to be skeptical regarding your involvement.  If this upsets you, I'm sorry, but you realize that anyone on Elliquiy can start their own group, including you, if you really want to play Firefly.

If you really really want to be a part of this group, I would ask that you make some concessions regarding your character.  Basically, what I have in mind is that you can play the Colonel's flaky niece ("My sister's kid") who is (or wants to be) an actress.  That's her excuse for dressing up like a Musketeer fetishist and carrying a sword and just generally acting eccentric.  Or any other strange manner of dress she chooses for the occasion.  A condition the Colonel put on the guy buying the ship (since he couldn't come up with the down payment) is he has to take your character on as a cook and keep her out of trouble (and unpregnant).  If you're okay with this, then please rethink your character and give her some serious flaws.  Maybe she thinks her family is wealthy and/or descended from nobility, or maybe she's the worse actress in the 'verse, or maybe she keeps trying to slip away with every "bad boy" the ship encounters, forcing the crew to kidnap her, or rescue her, depending on your point of view, to avoid the Colonel's wrath.

This will not be the central plot of every episode, but could make for some interesting encounters. 

If you're not okay with this and starting out on probation, then I understand.  Go in peace, and good luck in the future.

Also, if Ruby isn't interested in this role, it might be something someone else wants to do.
===
==============

ShadowFox89

Texas, shouldn't you post the red colored text in a private message? It really doesn't belong where everyone ran read ;)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NiceTexasGuy

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 11, 2011, 09:59:03 PM
Texas, shouldn't you post the red colored text in a private message? It really doesn't belong where everyone ran read ;)

Normally, I might agree, but I wanted to be open about it so everyone involved knows the score.  As for past problems, it's simply a matter of looking over previous posts, which is isn't uncommon for someone to do with perspective playmates. 

Prior to my latest post, Teke tried to address these concerns with her, and it doesn't look like she took the hint.

Sorry if anyone is offended.  I just want a tight group to make this thing work.
===
==============

RubySlippers

I did its a draft base character I'm refining her skills -

Like her education is refined to useless facts of things most people don't care about. This means knows about Earht That Was, the finer points of fencing history, art history but do not ask her to fly a ship or try to fix anything that is for commoners.

And yes she great with a long blade she likely studied it as a fighting art for much of her life its a sport after all and she is a noblewoman, she can likely brawl some since fencers do unarmed fight and use a blade and is althletic. She can use a pistol I didn't say expert just had some experience.

Her social skills will be good but mostly due to be a pretty noble and she has access to some money from her trust fund and can handle her money, her access to family accounts is gone not money given to her that is her own. To her she is still going to be struggling.

If this game had rules it would be easier this is why I'm not good in freeform games sadly, if you said we could have five skills one expert, two medium level and two novice I could just plug in where I wanted them. You give no firm guidelines and then you get me trying to guess things like if a woman was raised among the elite what would she know - fencing that was in the tv show the men studied it a tomboy noblewoman might and make it a key skill. I figure she knows lots of little things and is educated but in a liberal arts sense not in a trade. And so forth.

Primarch

Another character for you lot to tear up. :P

Chase Spencer
The Mechanic

Chase comes from out of those settlements way out where local folk take care of one another. Its also the kind of place where just about every is involved in crime of some kind, be it just skimming a little something off the side or keeping the local authorities sweet with something nice. Chase started out as a farmhand who turned mechanic in his teenage years. On the books he was a legit mechanic's apprentice, off the books he was involved in a chop shop, gun running and protection. Things were going real smooth for a long time until one job went more south then folk were comfortable with. A Fed man ended up dead and the gun belonged to Chase. There wasn't anything about it. Him being around would bring too much heat in on a town that didn't need outside eyes looking at it.

Chase took his leave and has been doing what he can to get by ever since. He can keep your boat flying and tend to its needs, he'll have your back in a gun fight and there ain't a bar brawl in all the Verse he ain't at home in. 

Niferbelle

I should have an idea for a character ready to put up soon. Just one question though...what time line are we talking about in regard to Serenity, before or after? If it's before, how long after the Unification war?

Teke

Quote from: Primarch on December 12, 2011, 04:11:54 PM
Another character for you lot to tear up. :P
Chase Spencer
The Mechanic

Chase comes from out of those settlements way out where local folk take care of one another. Its also the kind of place where just about every is involved in crime of some kind, be it just skimming a little something off the side or keeping the local authorities sweet with something nice. Chase started out as a farmhand who turned mechanic in his teenage years. On the books he was a legit mechanic's apprentice, off the books he was involved in a chop shop, gun running and protection. Things were going real smooth for a long time until one job went more south then folk were comfortable with. A Fed man ended up dead and the gun belonged to Chase. There wasn't anything about it. Him being around would bring too much heat in on a town that didn't need outside eyes looking at it.

Chase took his leave and has been doing what he can to get by ever since. He can keep your boat flying and tend to its needs, he'll have your back in a gun fight and there ain't a bar brawl in all the Verse he ain't at home in.
[/l]
I don't much have a problem with Chase, namely because his positives are pretty much two, and he has two possible very bad storylines.  Plus: he can fight and he can fix.  Negative: either his former buddies or the feds are quite possibly going to come for his head and I'd imagine with the speed that he had to escape, he probably doesn't have much and can't really use many of his contacts because they want to stay clear of that murder.
At some point I'll have the time to run up my own char and let the public trash him as well.  8-)
A&A

Teke

Cameron "Cam" Wynn
The Pilot
Cam was one of the few pilots that the Browncoats actually had, and even more rare, he was one that survived.  Part of that was because he did have some legitimate skill at piloting smaller craft, though the most of the other part was because he frequently discovered "mechanical trouble" with his fighter (when they had fighters), or in his small cargo craft.  Sometimes, it was real, either caused by enemy fire, or just from the disrepair that the ships were kept in, but on other times, he was the sole survivor of a mission because he "found" something just before getting into the furball.  When Cam actually got into a fight, his craft were usually hooked up with something extra in terms of armament, which typically looked like a nuclear explosion going off.
Cam believed in the cause of independence, which is why he was out there in the first place, but he was all too aware of how short his life could become.  So, if there was a valid (or semi-valid) reason why he couldn't complete a mission or go into harm's way, frequently it wouldn't be done.  By the end of the war, the Browncoat command had made Cam almost exclusively a transport pilot, because they knew that he would take care of the cargo by way of taking care of himself, and because they couldn't trust him to take a fighter into a fight.
After the war, Cam drifted around like a lot of Browncoats, sometimes taking an odd job here, or becoming a temporary pilot on a small freighter.  He did enough to survive, but nothing ever came easy.  He can handle himself in a firefight, mainly by taking potshots from cover, and he's usually the one to escalate the fight if it actually comes to that, jumping behind a flipped table and tossing a grenade behind him. Cam will stay out of a fist fight as best as he can, however, and will look to escape by any means possible.  He won't leave his friends behind, but he'll go get the ship to make the getaway... or something like that.
Just before hooking up with the Musashi Maru, Cam was the pilot on a robbery gone wrong and when the police were on his tail, he tried to escape while leaving his compatriots on the ground.  Unfortunately, none of them escaped, though he was the one spared from going to prison, because Col. Green declined to press charges upon him for his part.  He did this because of their Browncoat ties, and because the Colonel thought that he had more use of him as a pilot than as a court case.  When Green sold the ship to [insert name here], just a few weeks later, Cam just stayed on as it still needed a pilot.
A&A

NiceTexasGuy

Everything looks good from here.

Great job so far, guys, and now I feel bad for not having my own character made up yet.  I suspect that could happen sometime tonight.

Niferbelle:  I don't want to appear to be ignoring your question, but I also don't want to come across as the person dictating what we do.  My thinking is that the series and the movie took place over a relatively short period of time.  (Didn't Mal state in the movie that Simon and River had been on board seven months?)  So, we could make it generally during the same time frame as the series.  As far as the Miranda Broadwave, that event would be more eventful to some than others.  Sure, the politicians are scrambling, and the media, the talking heads, the conspiracy theorists ("we told you so") ... but to the average person, I suspect it was "So, the government did something bad.  What's new?  Even more important, what's for breakfast?"  So, does everyone want to just go with "during the series"?  Pre-broadwave, post-broadwave, doesn't really matter that much I don't think, only we might start out "pre-wave" so at some point someone can say "did you catch the game last night? how about that pirate broadwave, huh?"

On the other hand, I'm up for whatever the majority wants.  Start at end of the war?  Or does someone want to play Mal and Inara's grandkid?  It's all good.

ShadowFox89:  If you're still interested, and the Colonel hopes you are (because of your character's purplebelly past in a world frequented by Independents) then hit me up via PM if you want so we can share ideas regarding your character coming into possession of the ship. 

================

Free-form vs. System:  I certainly don't disagree with Ruby in that some standards for character creation would be good.  I wouldn't have a problem playing some system game, only I don't know how to do that.  If someone does, and would like to take care of the technical aspects of the game, please speak up.  Otherwise, I did find ONLINE (yay!) some resources from the official Serenity RPG.  I think we can use this as a guideline for character creation.  Not take it so far as to role the dice to see if the mechanic can find the critical bolt he dropped down into the waste water holding tank, but to give us some general ideas of the characters' relative strengths and weaknesses.  ("You run faster, I'm the better shot, so you run out there and draw their fire so I can see where they are and shoot them.")

The resource for character generation gives the GM three options regarding how powerful the characters can be, titling them as greenhorns, veterans, or big damn heroes.  it can be found here: 

http://bakersfieldrpg.com/Serenity.aspx

(then click on Serenity RPG - Character Creation Rules). 

My proposal is this:

Attribute points:  I think we should start out with 50 points each to assign to character attributes (this falls between veteran and hero status.  Who wouldn't be happy with that?)  So, fifty points to be divided among the six attributes:  Strength, Agility, Vitality, Alertness, Intelligence, and Willpower.

Again, if it's freeform play, the numbers won't mean as much, since we're not rolling dice against the numbers.  It just forces us to employ some give and take so all our characters don't end up looking like me in real life, incredibly attractive, agile, strong, fast, intelligent, and talented in so many ways it boggles the mind.  No, that gets boring fast, which is why I'm on Elliquey to roleplay, so I can pretend to be someone with weaknesses.

Skill points:  Here's where I'd deviate from the rules, and base the skill points on character ages. I think that adds a touch of reality to the process. Let's face it, I know how to do more stuff now, and do some of it better, than I did ten years ago.  Yes, there are children who have more and better skills than me, but the charts would be too unwieldy, so here's my proposal:

For characters age 16 to 22, they get 62 skill points.
For characters age 23 to 29, they get 68 skill points.
For characters 30 and up, they get 74 skill points.

A list of skills is on bottom of the character creation rules page.  You're free to come up with your own skills, of course.

Worldly possessions:  Just let common sense be your guide.  If Ruby wants to go with the idea of being the Colonel's "actress" niece, she can bring along a trunk or two full of costumes, evening gowns, and stage props to rival Ginger from Gilligan's Island.  A recently discharged soldier wouldn't have accumulated much, since his space had been limited.  OR, maybe he did pick up a lot of stuff over the years, and it's all in storage somewhere.  A guy one step ahead of the law?  He would most likely be traveling light.

Also, the character's origins.  Someone who lived in Independent territory during the war would stand a better chance ending up with nothing (money or stuff) than someone from a core planet, so please keep this in mind.

The character generation process also involves picking assets (good things) and complications (bad things.)  It doesn't give examples, though.  I see this as something to do with the character him/her- self.  Such as a physical attribute (ambidextrous, but blind in one eye) or mental (good at math, bad speller) and not something external to the character (some people love him, some people want to kill him). I don't think the roleplay police will arrest anyone for doing this wrong, but doing it in the spirit in which it was intended should add some flavor to the game.  I especially like the idea of someone being frightened of (fill in the blank) and not wanting any of his or her shipmates to know, but that's just the sadistic GM in me saying that.

IN addition, you might also want to look at the "crew questionnaire" and the "3x3x3" pages.  I think it would also enhance the play to do this, and you don't have to share all the info with the other players.  I would like the person running the game (me, I think) to see your 3x3x3 responses, even if you don't have three of each, for seeding material.

Wow, that all sounds way more complicated than I intended, and I think it sounds more complicated than it really is.  All this really means is to divide 50 points between six attributes, pick some skills from a list (or make your own) which would fit your character's background and interests, then translate a bit of his or her history to paper (or in this case, electrons.)
===
==============