Chinese Mystical Martial Arts Mayhem!! Recruiting Closed

Started by Red Offerings, January 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

Quote from: Isengrad on January 23, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
What about body manipulation, like brass body in man with the iron fists, is that still more elemental then chi based?

Quote from: Mnemaxa on January 23, 2014, 07:40:31 AM
Traditionally, Chin-Na/Atemi (Grasping Arts) is more of an internal style, using the oppoenent's chi instead of your own.

For the context that you're referring to in that movie, where he can literally harden his skin? I'm going to go with elemental.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 23, 2014, 09:23:20 AM

For the context that you're referring to in that movie, where he can literally harden his skin? I'm going to go with elemental.

That is to say if you are making his skin literally like metal. However if he is simply hardening his skin and not becoming metal-like then it is chi.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Vercile

Ironwolf85

I'm thinking of a court advisor to one side or the other.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Frozen Star on January 23, 2014, 09:29:59 AM
Is it too late to put my interest in?

No. At this point I will accept however many are interested.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 23, 2014, 10:23:59 AM
I'm thinking of a court advisor to one side or the other.

Hold that thought. I will have more too add to this story tonight.

Pumpkin Seeds

Florence

I have a few ideas in my mind...

Also, I'm curious, how authentic are we going in terms of gender roles?

How common or uncommon are women warriors, and how likely are they to get scoffed at by society?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 05:21:10 PM
I have a few ideas in my mind...

Also, I'm curious, how authentic are we going in terms of gender roles?

How common or uncommon are women warriors, and how likely are they to get scoffed at by society?

Good question. Somewhere in between. We're probably going to settle in a later period, before Confucious' thoughts really took root but where their influence is starting to spread bit by bit.

Florence

Sounds reasonable. I'm guessing from the setup that we're going more for a fictional China, rather than shooting for historical authenticity, so I don't suppose we have to worry about it being TOO authentic.

I'm perfectly fine working with a fictionalized China, or even a China-inspired setting, like Jade Empire or Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Although the latter was more an amalgam of several different Asian cultures, including China, Japan and India, as well as a little of what seems like Inuit culture in the Water Tribes.)
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

HairyHeretic

I think I'd like to bring out my Fangshi (wandering exorcist), for dealing with all those love lorn ghosts and hopping vampires.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 06:47:18 PM
Sounds reasonable. I'm guessing from the setup that we're going more for a fictional China, rather than shooting for historical authenticity, so I don't suppose we have to worry about it being TOO authentic.

I'm perfectly fine working with a fictionalized China, or even a China-inspired setting, like Jade Empire or Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Although the latter was more an amalgam of several different Asian cultures, including China, Japan and India, as well as a little of what seems like Inuit culture in the Water Tribes.)

You're right, this is a much less historical China. I hesitated with placing us in boring constraints.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 23, 2014, 06:57:33 PM
I think I'd like to bring out my Fangshi (wandering exorcist), for dealing with all those love lorn ghosts and hopping vampires.

Since we have so many people that would be fun.

Red Offerings

Okay, I have added the "large plot" for the story. It's in italics at the bottom of the first post. This should help people with developing their characters.

Important points:

Because of our number, not all characters have to follow the main plot. All will be impacted by it, but to varying degrees.

There is virtually no one left from the large clans of the Xiao Kingdom. That includes soldiers. I might accept one person,  but anyone else will need to play someone from a smaller clan or something like that. PM me for details for that.

Only powerful individuals will be able to rule Xiao. So, anyone who wants to have their character travel along the line of the main plot will want to create their character accordingly. But of course, don't go crazy!

I will be creating a character profile skeleton tomorrow evening. Be prepared to pick out your character's heavy metal/rock theme song! (Why? Why not.)

Red Offerings

I also want to say that this is the plot line I've come up with. If anyone wants to add something or take something out, that's cool. PM me. Additionally, this is just the "main backdrop" there are opportunities for smaller plots, so if you are inspired by something and want to try it out, let me know!

Florence

I was thinking of perhaps playing a martial arts master, a woman who lives in a more rural area, and is heavily respected by the locals for both her mastery of the martial arts, as well as her strong conviction to justice, and the fact that she teaches some of the local villagers the art of the spear in order to defend themselves from bandits. I see her getting roped into larger matters more through necessity than anything else. Perhaps she's sought out by someone higher up, or perhaps the current affairs threaten the villages she's taken to watching over.

As for her style of fighting, as mentioned above, I think she'd primarily fight with a qiang (spear), and probably have an unarmed fighting style similar to bajiquan. I believe bajiquan has its roots in spear fighting, so it would make sense for her to have that combination of fighting styles.

Batman4560

Pumpkin Seeds

Sort of leaning toward a traveling bard/flute player, perhaps using the flute as a weapon as well.  I do like the play on words that she would be from the Kingdom of Song, plus with their culture she would be quite the survivalist anyway.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 08:37:54 PM
I was thinking of perhaps playing a martial arts master, a woman who lives in a more rural area, and is heavily respected by the locals for both her mastery of the martial arts, as well as her strong conviction to justice, and the fact that she teaches some of the local villagers the art of the spear in order to defend themselves from bandits. I see her getting roped into larger matters more through necessity than anything else. Perhaps she's sought out by someone higher up, or perhaps the current affairs threaten the villages she's taken to watching over.

As for her style of fighting, as mentioned above, I think she'd primarily fight with a qiang (spear), and probably have an unarmed fighting style similar to bajiquan. I believe bajiquan has its roots in spear fighting, so it would make sense for her to have that combination of fighting styles.

That would work just fine. So probably from the kingdom of Xiao?

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 23, 2014, 08:57:42 PM
Is it possible to be from the kingdom of Song?

Yep. Just follow along the line of their trait description in the original post.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 05:49:59 AM
Sort of leaning toward a traveling bard/flute player, perhaps using the flute as a weapon as well.  I do like the play on words that she would be from the Kingdom of Song, plus with their culture she would be quite the survivalist anyway.

That sounds good!

Florence

kckolbe

I was thinking Xiao as well.  Since we can't be from the major tribes, do we just make up a tribe?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 24, 2014, 08:15:44 AM
I was thinking Xiao as well.  Since we can't be from the major tribes, do we just make up a tribe?

I may allow one or two people to play someone from one of the four clans. Otherwise, yes you can just make up a minor clan, remembering that a lot of them are having a hard time because of all of the fighting.

Red Offerings

Glad we are getting some Xiao players too. :) My character will be Xiao as well.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Carlissa on January 22, 2014, 11:19:41 PM
I'm a little backed up on my RPs as well, but I'll throw my interest in as well. Although I have little idea what most of these franchises you guys keep talking about are...

Hey, I remember this site. I used to go here when the only story available was the dragon one. Seemed they've added quite a few more stories since I last visited. Too bad you need to pay for the Kung fu one...

I realize I missed your post completely. I'll be posting a character profile skeleton for you guys tonight. You've got some time to decide.

Red Offerings

Okay, so I've entertained the whole free form or dice battling thing. Being that I'm nt a big fan of dice, but also noting the likely complexity of the characters abilities, I am going to create a cheat sheet for the dice system we will be using for fighting. I will also be using percentile dice to roll for random events, weather, etc. just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Random events can be small plots for certain groups or players to something crazy random like....a ley line storm.

Pumpkin Seeds

Might want to check out Fate for this style of Kung Fu.  The whole aspect thing would lend itself well to this style of fighting I think.