[Interest Check] The Edge of Sanity {Revised}

Started by Yorubi, May 01, 2011, 01:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yorubi

First off I would say that, this RP idea is not a sexual focused RP. Sure we can have it involved, but I would likely have it going on in a separate thread, either 1 on 1 or making a 'dirty thread' of sorts. While naughty things are indeed very fun, they can get in the way of a story and just end up messing up a perfectly good RP if it is way to centered upon. That being said, there will be adult material involved in the RP just in a more responsible light and likely separated from the main threads to prevent it from 'cluttering' the RP.

This thread will likely be a NC thread, due to the potential for such action to happen. Again, sexual activities will be pushed out of the RP into either a sub-thread or special one on one threads, so anyone bothered by NC stuff shouldn't have to worry about seeing the actual act being done, minus possibly it being initialized.

I have changed my over-all view of the system being set up. If anyone interested before feels shunned away by it, feel free to comment about it and I'll try to see how I can maybe make you more comfortable or adjust it. While it is changed up, it still is a rough idea. Again, the system itself shouldn't be to complex so if your afraid of it, don't be. I can help you out if you need it, but it should be simple enough for you to do. Its pretty much just a free form roleplay with light elements of control added.

Main Revision:
I have put the system through a bit of revision to make it (what I hope to be) less confusing and to build an atmosphere. I suppose it might be taken to add an almost 'horror' edge behind it possibly. Corruption will be focused upon in a rather different light. Rather then being based on an individual's power, it will actually be gained from the creatures they might face or the environment they are in. The effects will be more prevalent early on and it will begin causing negative changes to the person. The setting is still in debate, though the characters will be more human like. They will be stronger then most, though they are still bound by human means. Magic is still a grey area in this revision and I'll probably add it if people enjoy the idea of having some mild forms of magic involved I could include it.

The creatures themselves will born of shadows and will likely have a more surreal look behind them. They will come in various forms that are unique, or might be based off some living creature they had corrupted. I am still going with the idea they come from 'rifts' that open up in the world, that will be sealed by special devices of light meant to do so. I think I will also include the aspect of traveling into those rifts into a shadow world where the individuals are constantly corrupted and dangers lurk. I'm still debating the process regarding closing or enter the dimensional rifts, though I think I will likely involve them as a 'goal' of something to shut.

Setting: There are three possible settings I can see for this RP, depending on what people personally lean towards.

A.) Fantasy (Medieval/Renaissance): While I know both periods do vary, I am linking it together since they do have similar traits. The setting itself will take place in a world that involves horses and carriages that carry people over long distances. A person often will prove themselves with a sword. A medieval form of this setting would likely involve a bit more feral version of the world, with less refined housing and an over-all split society. A renaissance version would be more so of unity as a more artistic touch is applied to things and the world appears in a more grand light to emphasize this. Cities will be grand, though their are still plenty of shadows in which darkness might exist to haunt people.

B.) Steampunk: A more modern world powered by steam. The setting would be more gritty and would involve many elaborate inventions to satisfy the needs of the people. it would be a more gritty world as the technology developed would likely make things a bit dirty. Guns would potentially exist in the form of a rifle, but the technology itself would be more limited and under-developed. A steampunk world allows for many back allies and ominous places for trouble to occur. It would likely fit this plot rather well, though the setting itself might not be so popular with people and the weapon choice would be a little more tricky to figure out.

C.) Modern: The world as we know it today. With plenty of bad areas and the threat of corruption looming in the allies and the darkness of night, there is plenty of potential here as well. I would likely make it (due to atmospheric reasons) that weapons such as guns would not work against the creatures as they don't allow for the user to apply their 'soul' to an attack to inflict damage.

Magic (uncertain): With the revision, magic is a more iffy subject. I do know people like magic and others do not. Should it be added, it will be in more modest forms. You might be able to toss a fireball around to hit something threatening you or use a gust of air to blow a threat away. You won't be able to create a giant wave of water to wash away things in a mile radios of you or something crazy like that. It would be something I would judge personally and put limitations on if it is in fact added.

Plot: The plot will focus simply on the world being on the brink of destruction as rifts are opened to a shadow world. These rifts are corrupting the world and anything that might come to close to it. The story will focus on individuals who are attempting to close the rifts and stop the world from turning into a world of insanity and darkness. While doing so, the people will have to fight off their own darkness attempting to swallow them whole. In terms of their connection, I am still working out the idea. It could involve a guild or a certain organization that forms to stop these troubles. It could be a more free form deal where individuals want to stop it themselves and might end up finding one another and building a friendship (among other things).

System: The Light system aspect comes into play with the Corruption a person faces. Corruption is a basis at which a character is effected mentally/physically by the evil trying to take over the world. Each person will have a rating of corruption which goes up to 100. Corruption is gained by having contact with the creatures from the rift or being close to areas with high corruption. Consider it like radiation where it might effect the air. below is a chart to show potentially some ways you might gain corruption.

Touching/Fighting a Corrupted Creature: +1 Corruption per Post
Walking in a Highly Corrupted area: +1 Corruption per Post
Holding an Item that is Corrupted: +1 Corruption per Post
8 hours of rest: -20 Corruption

If you fill more then one criteria in a post, each will stack on one another.  For example: You might be fighting a Dark Creature in a highly Corrupted zone. As such you will gain 1 corruption from fighting it, and another from being in a corrupted zone.

Effects: As your character is effected more by the darkness, you will suffer side effects. This list is likely to be changed, but should serve as an example of what a character might experience.

Corruption | Effect
20: The individual might hear occasional voices in their head at times that can't be made out clearly.
30: The user can more clearly hear voices speaking with them. They might catch glimpses of strange figures from the corner of their eye rarely.
40: Voices come more frequently and make comments on things. More vivid figures might appear in front of the person.
50: The person might find themselves having trouble thinking as thoughts become jumbled in their head.
60: A person will rarely speak nonsense they can't explain. Small panic attacks might set in and more of a desire for violence might be felt.
70: Random images will flash before their eyes at times as voices clearly speak to them. They are likely to make a dialog with the voices and even potentially do so out loud. A person might shiver randomly as panic attacks can occur more noticeably. There can be trouble recognizing allies for who they are and a sense of doubt will be created in their mind.
80: Violence becomes much more satisfying to the person. They will have a hard time telling between friend and foe. Random laughter might occur as a person will tend to not care at all about what they do. The person will have conversations with themselves and seem to debate with their twisted personalities on what to do. Their eyes will begin to dilute and become darker
90: Their body will twitch abnormally at times and sever panic attacks can occur easily. Everything is viewed as a threat to the person as even their loved ones will have trouble connecting with them.  Violence will likely be the answer to anything. They will appear at a complete disconnect from the world. Their eyes will have turned even darker as they might appear almost 'demon like'.
100: Complete corruption. The user enters a permanent state of insanity. Not even the dearest love one will be able to connect with them. The only thing that will satisfy them is existing in darkness and spilling blood of those who come near them. Their body will become shrouded in darkness as their eyes will glow red. An individual at this state can never return to normal.

Old Idea (References or if you still like to peek at it):
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Setting (Still in consideration): The world will take place in a "Magicpink" world. Think of it somewhat like Steam Punk, but involving magic as a main source of power with a bit less in terms of pollution. There are marvels such as trains and several land vehicular powered by magic that can be found. Amazing marvels exist such as under water cities and the rare floating cities exist. Things are powered using special Mana Crystals that are mined and sometimes extracted from an alternate world known as the Edge. With recent developments, the once diminishing crystals have begun to be produced through artificial means due to the diminishing supply of available crystals around the world.

The world itself is in rather peaceful terms with each other, as a looming threat keeps once waring nations apart. The edge has begun to rip holes through the world and has released horrid creatures from its world. Those holes cause corruption to things around it as it can change the terrain into a dark and twisted place and corrupt any living being that might be in the area into much more vicious creature. Due to this, guild were created to fight those threats.

I could see this also being brought into a more mild "Steam Punk" place and taking out magic and replacing it with a few technologic marvels. No guns or the likes present though. It could possibly be given a modern edge as well, if people want to attempt that kind of setting. Over-all the setting is still a grey area in terms of the time period.

Magic: In this RP, magic is an ability unique to the user and develops around them, rather then being an art practiced by many. Individuals harness the power from the edge to unlock abilities that only they might possess. As the individual uses this magic, they can tap into strong and stronger variations with time and training. Each step up grants the user a stronger form of their ability then before. When an individual becomes stronger, their magic in each form also increases.

A drawback to magic is the fact it can only be accessed by tapping into the Edge. As a person uses their powers, they become more and more corrupted by the power. An individual might suffer side effects from the power such as hearing voices to acting out irrationally. While these side effects vary, they all seem to intensify greatly as the user becomes more consumed. The only way to recover from this would be to rest, though it can only recover so much of the users corruption. There are other methods known, though each are extremely rare and unlike to be in an individuals grasp.

Forms: As a user intensifies their connection to the edge, they gain additional forms. These forms often start small such as a unique tattoo or item and tend to become more prevalent the more linked an individual is. These will primarily be gained in the RP with likely only the first and second form being possibly given to start. While in a form, the user will get their corruption multiplied depending on the form. While not using their powers it remains at 0, however access their powers will yield one. A second form might cause them to receive 2 corruption per post they use it.

Forms themselves will likely recieve more restrictions for when the RP might start. I am thinking about forcing the user to remain in the form for 3-5 posts or something of that light to keep people from trying to 'jump' into a form for added power and avoid becoming consumed faster.

System: The system itself is a rather light system I created that develops off of a 'corruption' bar. Think like Soul Eater regarding how characters could feel insanity and it might effect them. Each individual starts with 0% Corruption and gains 1% each time they tap into their powers in a post. This might become stronger if a person might be accessing stronger forms.  Below is a sample chart of how it might work (though it is not final):

Power not in use: 0 Corruption per Post
Power Used (Form 1): 1 Corruption per Post
Power Used (Form 2): 3 Corruption per Post
Special Ability (Pretty much a finishing attack or what not): 5 Corruption + Any other corruption that might be gained normally
8 hour Rest taken: Corruption cured by 40

Keep in mind I will probably need to adjust that a bit and there might be more involved. Now with the corruption, there will also be side effects given after certain points. This area probably will need to fixed and reworked, but it will generally look like something like this.

30 Corruption: The individual might hear voices in their head at times that can't be made out clearly.
50 Corruption: The user can clearly hear the voices speaking in their head and their mind might play small tricks on them.
60 Corruption: The user might randomly break out in fits of laughter. Their mind can become rather scattered and it might cause the person to blurt out words that might make no sense.
75 Corruption: The users will start to become delirious. They fight a twisted enjoyment out of killing and violence and crave more. Their personality will shift to be more dark. The user might be caught fighting with their own mind out loud. They aren't likely to hold back for the sake of an ally that might be caught in danger
90 Corruption: The user will act out violently to anyone around without care. They can still partly tell of their friends but they won't likely care if they get in the way and get hurt for it. Their craving for blood is intensified as a much more evil individual arrises.
100 Corruption: Complete corruption. The user enters a permanent state of insanity and will attack all who might come near. Their alignment will shift to chaotic evil and little hope of ever returning to normal is present (corruption is unable to be cleansed at this point).

Example: Keep in mind the system isn't final. We will take in that form 1 (activating your powers) will corrupt you by 1 per post. The special attack will use 5 corruption as its basis. Resting here will assume to cure 40 for this example. Humor attempted for giggles. ^^ Put into spoilers to keep it from hogging up the entire post. Each spoiler is a seperate post and goes down in order. Added the bold area to show how the corruption was tallied up in each post.

1.) Standing idle
Corruption: 0/100

Joe Shmoe sits ideally by doing nothing.

2.) Activating Power
Corruption: 1/100

Joe Shmoe suddenly sees a evil puppy-o-doom. Joe shmoe activates his power and goes to attack. He gains 1 corruption.

3.) Fighting using Power
Corruption: 2/100

Joe Shmoe continues to keep his power activated and attacks the evil puppy-o-doom again with funky flips. Adds 1 more corruption

4.) Using Special ability
Corruption: 8/100

Joe Shmoe uses his special 'Slap attack' on the evil puppy to teach it a lesson! No more stealing his tatter tots! Corruption adds 1 for using his power and additional 5 for using a special attack, giving a total of +6 corruption for this post.

5.) Deactivating
Corruption: 9/100

With the evil puppy-o-doom dealt with, Joe Shmoe deactivates his powers and can be put at rest to finish his tatter tots. Adds 1 corruption since the power was still on when this post was made.

6.) Resting
Corruption: 9/100

Joe Shmoe lays down and takes a nice long nap. No corruption is taken off until 8 hours of sleep can be earned.

7.) Finishing Rest
Corruption: 0/100

Joe Shmoe wakes up nice and refreshed after a long nap 8 hour nap. Corruption -40 allows for all the gained corruption to be lost, returning him back to 0.

Plot: The focus of this RP will be involved on a particular guild that will seek to close the holes to the edge and attempt to fight against the darkness it brings. More will be developed regarding the cause of the chaos. I hope to bring in character development in the story as I do want a focus on each individual being involved on their background and developing in the story (whether for the good of themselves or falling into darkness). I do have a general flow for the roleplay figured out that should keep the RP going for some time, while leaving plenty of room for each person involved to add their own input and really contribute their own story to the game.

Conclusion: Feel free to make comments on this system and the general story. It is still rather rough in terms of description so if you have anything you want me to clear up or fix, feel free to say so. It will likely be tossed up in the NC section under exotic due to the nature of magic being involved. While I will avoid having sexual content being tossed into the main threads, I'm sure they will be partly initiated in it before being moved to another thread. Being in NC: Exotic will simply keep things being safe and all all you perverts to have more sexual encounters still without having to be so prim and proper in the main RP thread. ^^

Again, please post if you have anything you want to say or if you like the idea. I am still shaping this game out so it can be changed up a little bit. the system should remain relatively similar and it shouldn't be such a huge factor to distract people, likely only existing as an added comment in each post to keep track of corruption and increase it as needed.

Kristine

QuoteFirst off I would say that, this RP idea is not a sexual focused RP. Sure we can have it involved, but I would likely have it going on in a separate thread, either 1 on 1 or making a 'dirty thread' of sorts. While naughty things are indeed very fun, they can get in the way of a story and just end up messing up a perfectly good RP if it is way to centered upon.

exactly my thoughts  ;)

QuoteThis Rp will be in a somewhat "Anime" style

Here you ruined my dreams about perfect RP thread  ;D

Just joking :) Good luck with the Roleplay

Yorubi

Haha thanks. ^^;; Well Anime style was the best way for me to describe it. I like the powers to be a bit over the top and make things interesting. Of course there would be limitations on it, but its the best way to describe it. Then again, I'm still not quite sure of how I want to take the RP. I did want magic and powers involved to make the characters noticably strong, but I did want some realistic touch to it. Really I'm hoping to see if anyone is interested and if they have their on thoughts to help shape the general gist of the system. My main focus was on the corruption system and its effects on those who have powers. :)

Kristine

Oh, there's nothing wrong with your thread and I believe you described it pretty well and interesting. I'm sure people will be very much into it :)
It's just me... the word "anime" makes me run to the farthest possible corner, jump on the chair and scream in terror :D
but that's just me :) You're thread is great

Yorubi

Haha no problem. XD Well I would say DnD like but honestly considering it does go for a more 'personalized' feel for each characters abilities and how system wise its much more free form, It didn't seem to be a good describer. XD

KnightNelson20

Yorubi

Hurray! I still need to iron out kinks and really work on the idea though. Its a very rough idea right now so a lot of it isn't completely worked out. I know the system will probably be the same kind of style in the end, though values might be adjusted and it might be made more in depth. I just wanted it to be something that does work in the RP but isn't complex like DnD or anything so that it can be kept free style and simply have it as a general background. I was thinking of having 'permanent' corruption as well and more complex recovery over time, but I think simply resting will make things so much easier and just having it so corruption lingers on a person and doesn't recover beyond a certain amount a day would work. I could add some point that it does permanently increase it when a certain milestone is reached, though still not sure.

I just wanted to really flow with the idea of 'it takes bad to fix bad' where the same thing that is causing havok and destruction is used to stop that very destruction. I could probably adjust the time period of it as well though I'm not sure. I can see it being taken more modern and having corruption occurring and making it more dangerous on the streets. A fantasy/magic focused setting just seemed to be more fitting of the adventure element and could always lead to things of danger that might not be involved with the main source of trouble in the world. No cheap bullets to make a whimpy character overpower a caster as well. :)

minerva7790

I'm interested too! Though I'm dubious about the "anime-styled" kind of power. I know some anime let their main characters go really overpowered, so I'll have to see how things go before deciding if I want in. ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Yorubi

Well your not going to be destroying cities or anything. Hmm... trying to think of a good example. Think of something like Kingdom Hearts maybe? Not sure if you played it but eh. Basically being able to move around and all fluently and taking on things. The corruption system will just work for those trying to tape to much into their power at once. My form of limitation really to keep characters in check extra. Sure you can go around knocking waves and waves of weaker enemy out of commission like its no ones business, but you sure as heck are going to suffer for doing it to long. XD

Like I said, I do need to refine the power aspect and how that might work. I do think I'll keep the idea of powerful attacks putting a larger strain on the user since they aren't suppose to really be constantly used. I just don't want to go to overboard and make things way to complex either. Its hard to strike a good balance.

minerva7790

Hmm, well said! No, I haven't played Kingdom Hearts (but only because I don't have the right gaming system for it :-(), but I think I know enough about it to see what you mean. So long as we don't get Bleach-like characters, where everyone just powers up limitlessly...

I'm still interested! Just going to wait for the power stuff to be refined. ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Yorubi

Haha, well our character could be bleach like... if they wanted to instantly go insane.  ;D Really though, I kind of saw it to be like Kingdom hearts where they are agile and strong and get special abilities and could increase their abilities kind of like with their limited time forms. I think I am going to go with the idea of having maybe 1 increased form deal and then having some special abilities that are stronger being larger corruption generating devices. That way we have general powers and people can feel special using a kind of 'finisher' attack. Sure I won't put limitation on how much they use it, but it would turn them so quickly if they thought to use it constantly over and over.

How does everyone interested feel about the setting? I am thinking of changing it to be a bit more simple and going maybe more with a fantasy/punkish theme taking out the complex magic element and going with some mild steampunk. Nothing to crazy of course, there won't be guns or that type of technology, most would involve maybe some 'incredible cutting edge' train line or other large scale projects. Could account for their being some electricity as well keeping cities lit at night, but nothing crazy all over the place. At the same time, I could also lean modern if people want that idea as well. I just want to take in some input from interested parties, or those iffy about joining and might like some changes. :)

KnightNelson20

I love Kingdom Hearts but i think the setting is fine. I understand how you want to do the characters and powers but it is difficult for others.Maybe you should create a post as an example and then post how it works or how you will be tallying the corruption.

Yorubi

I might do that myself, I just don't have everything cut in stone. Eh still I could give an example really. I tried to avoid making it complex so i don't think people should have to much trouble picking it up.

Added the example above as mini spoiler posts. Made it very vague as examples just to show how it might be. Oh, and of course I couldn't hold off making a little silliness in an example post. :)

KnightNelson20

In terms of corruption i think you are not giving enough out. Most post of fighting last maybe about 5 post so at most they can get upto maybe 10 corruption in a single fight scene before posting that they go home and rest up after a long battle thus returning them to 0 once again. I say activating your power should add more to corruption and the longer it is active the faster it rises. So activating it gains like 3. 1st post adds 1. Second post adds 2 more. 3rd post adds 3. Special power plus 4th post adds 9. deactivating in 5th post adds 5. There they have 23 corruption. Also i think you should lower the amount the lose with sleep. Ever 8 hours removes say 10 corruption. It makes people more cautious with their powers trying not to get it too high. This would make it less likely to have Bleach like characters that continue to use their powers then run off to sleep.

Yorubi

Well I doubt people are going to get into a single fight a day. Keep in mind first form is meant for the lesser creatures while second form would be for tougher fights. Corruption is only right now set to recover at a rate of 40 per sleep, though I might lessen that. I don't want to make this system to complex either. I like the idea of a gradual increase rather then instantaneous. Sure it exists, but I don't want it to completely control the roleplay. I do want to make it so their might be tougher missions that might push characters closer and closer to the edge. Keep in mind a tougher fight might call for a special attack to finish off an enemy which that would add 5 corruption on top of what is being taken up by the form.

I was debating the idea of also having higher corruption taking longer to recover... though it would make things complicated. I just want to make the system simple enough to pick up to someone who has never had a system involved in an RP before, while also complex enough to make it matter. Right now its not to restricting but it can also allow for carelessness to cost the individual. I might lower the amount recovered with rest to 20-30 or so. I don't want people to be stuck doing nothing for days on end either. I do want to make some situations so tense too that an individual might be forced to use their powers for extended lots of times or fight enemies that they are forced to use their full powers against and work with their allies.

I am still maybe thinking of adding permanent damage as well to the person should they go so high, such as possibly lowering their corruption bar max by 5 when they might hit 80 or something which can't be regained. I'll probably do a little lower number but I want it to be around as a risk, while also having it take hold during the RP where it becomes more and more dangerous and can make things more intense for a character. Of course, I can also explore the idea of a character becoming stronger as they fall more corrupt, which can always be the perfect bane for a person to become to absorbed and fall into insanity from it.  ;D

Edit: I think I'll have it so people have a 1st and 2nd form special attack too. The first form will probably keep the 5 corruption cost while the second form might take 10-15 or so for using it. Considering how I have second form right now taking 3 each post, it would mean thats adding a whole 13-18 more corruption when they use it.

Edit Edit: Oh and sorry for the huge post back. I didn't realize how big I made it lol. ^^;; Either way I'm trying to find the right balance still in terms of making corruption a concern, yet not making it an overpowering factor in the game. I want people to be a little careless with it, while also having to worry about it when their careless use might end up putting them at risk. XD

Yorubi

Alright people, well I decided to revise my idea a bit. I know a few had interest in the idea, so feel free to speak up about the changes on what you like or might not like about it.

I wanted to try bringing in a more 'horror/suspense' element to the roleplay that can make the corruption element more compelling. I toned down the powers people will have as well, though I still will have fighting involved in which the characters should be well off on their own in being relatively skilled, though not superhuman. Magic is a gray area in the revision. Depending on the input I get, I may or may not include it as part of the system. Setting will likely be the area most people find a connection to. I added 3 varied settings (4 if you include the fantasy realm versions as 2 seperate ones) that could potentially be used in the Roleplay depending on what people like.

If you didn't like the old idea, please take a peek on the new one and see if you like it. I'll have the complete new system up shortly, though again it will be in a rougher form then what it might be if enough interest is peaked.