Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolae

@Keelan: Eilistraee would work pretty well with a moon elf, and would give us the opportunity to participate in the High Hunt.

@Muse: That would work just fine then.
O/O   Ideas

Phaia

I sent a PM with a character history Calrond. Hope that was okay or did you want the idea here?
It has been a while I lastdid any 3.5..where are flaws and traits listed? Also it has been a very long time I last did anything in the Forgotten Realms. I do hope that is okay?

Phaia

Nicolae

@Phaia: I got the PM, but I was considering how to respond. Let me get back to you tomorrow (since it's late and I'm running on only a few hours of sleep from last night) concerning your character's backstory.
O/O   Ideas

Phaia

No problems, Calrond, and please do not think you have to like it at all for your story. You asked about the idea so I sent it and I can fully make another. I have several boucing around inside my blonde head...they do not seem to run into anything though to slow them down...wonder why

**gets a preplexed blonde look**

phaia

Countdown0

Quote from: Phaia on October 21, 2013, 12:43:47 AM
No problems, Calrond, and please do not think you have to like it at all for your story. You asked about the idea so I sent it and I can fully make another. I have several boucing around inside my blonde head...they do not seem to run into anything though to slow them down...wonder why

**gets a preplexed blonde look**

phaia

Because D&D is awesome and your brain REALLY wants to think about it over other things? :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Keelan

Hm... not sure if I want a Sword Dancer or a straight (hah, only in class progression XD) Cleric... it's been a LONG while since I've done 3.5 D&D, so I'm trying to remember builds and stuff too outside of straight cleric...

Florence

Quote from: Keelan on October 20, 2013, 08:57:25 PM
I have to look up Moon Elves, but could we argue the half-elf as a half-drow instead?  I know they exist but we could also just swap Low-Light for Darkvision instead at 60', and possibly the poison use but I doubt that would fly.

Either way, I'll go read some of the other ideas extolled here and re-read the initial post too...

If you had you would have noticed my first question was if I could play a half drow.  O:)

Seriously, though, I feel your pain. I love my half-drow bard, Meredith, she's one of my favorite characters to play. All the same, if a character doesn't fit the setting, they don't fit the setting.

But I actually quite like this wood elf druid I've made up. She doesn't have the adorableness of Meredith, but she's got her own appeal. On that note, I passed out last night way earlier than I planned... so.... yeah... getting back to work on her sheet.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Blinkin

Sent in the background and physical description this morning. I did make a couple of minor changes to the CS, improved her swim and added in the carrying capacity. Traded the ring of protection for a ring of swimming... as a sailor, it seemed the more sane thing to do. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Florence

FFFF, legit question that only just now occurred to me.

If I'm making my character older, should I factor in any aging effects?

I've literally never had to deal with those ever so I completely forgot they were even a thing xD

My druid... who I'm THINKING of naming Medlineth... even though its a bit similar to my half-drow's name Meredith... I dunno, I just like it... its all... elfy.

Anyway, she's probably like... 175+ which would put her in the 'middle aged' category, thus incurring... –1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha

... which means I'd bloody have to reword her ability scores again :U -shakes cane- Ah well, probably not that hard to balance out.

Though its not really clear in the rules if aging effects apply to a character being created, or just when a character already created hits that age.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Blinkin

It would apply, I would think, at character creation, but you would of already taken that into account, I would think.

175 is middle-aged for an elf?? A being who can live for centuries is middle aged at less than 2 centuries? I didn't think that they were really grown until their first century... I seem to recall that in some forgotten realms novels. Dritzzt was well into his second century and still considered fairly young... I mean, in his 150's... 175 may be getting up there for a dwarf, or half elf may find it bordering on elderly... *shrugs*

My character is 28, but I don't think she's reached middle age yet...  (Tymora, I hope not!)

I guess it's just me, but older characters didn't mean middle-aged to me. Active characters should reach level 20 before they're too old to eat solid foods, afterall. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

It's been that way with elven aging even since second edition, Blinkin.  It was described that about 175-190, depending on sub race, elves slowed down just enough that they got more interested in domestic pursuits and famiies, less in wandering around enjoying free love and seeing the world.

humans, on the other hand, aren't middle aged 'til 45. 

Finn, those modifiers would apply to a middle aged character, yes, same as the modifiers for leveling.  Calarond linked us to them in his first post. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Florence

Yeah, I was going off the 3.5 handbook, since the Forgotten Realms books didn't seem to mention any specific differences in aging for wood elves.

Also Muse.... you're totally right xD

I feel like an idiot now that I see its RIGHT there in the first post.

Ixy

If there's still availability, I would be interested if this game were the right party size/posting rate.   

I have a few concepts in mind... one is for a hellbred who, after wandering the wilds to recover from the shock of the Scourging, adopted herself to a monastic order.  Gradually she learned that she had, before her death, betrayed her family for love, only to be betrayed and murdered in turn.  This concept would work well as a penitent of some kind... either a monk, cleric, or paladin with a heavy lean towards fighting demons and the undead.

Another is for an outcast... a barbarian tribeswoman, daughter of a chieftain, whose family was cursed and polluted by magic and died out, except for her (as far as she knows) in a short-lived feud with the new ruling clan in a suicidal attempt to reclaim its former power.  I see this character being more a ranger/barbarian type, with perhaps some cleric training as well.

Would either of these work well?

Florence

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=686059

Here's what I have so far... anyone can feel free to point out any errors or stuff.

Things I still have to do:

Decide on an Animal Companion
Sort out Equipment
Fill out Fluff

Edit: If the class skills are listed wrong, there's nothing I can do about it. They seem to have randomly reverted to an incorrect list several times. But... its a minor thing, if I decide to level a different skill I'll just look at the handbook to see what's a class skill and not for druids.

Landshark

Would it be ok for a half orc? I didnt get a responce from my first asking?

ChaoticSky

Ooh, I'm interested as well. Though im abit torn. I am tempted to make a Cleric of Sharess>Sacred Prostitute just to lighten the mood... but we also seem to lack arcane casters as far as ive noticed and i have a few ideas that way too~

Any thoughts on the subject?  ;D

Landshark

OHHH if no one else does it can I make a wizard of the clan Harpell? That would be so much fun!

EroticFantasyAuthor

My character will be a roguish wizard for reference, currently planning Unseen Seer.

Re Z L

Been eyeing this the last few days with interest...

how many people are you planning on running it for?

I'll have to look back at it to get a better idea at what I might want to play (if you're not already full up)
A&A

Nicolae

@Finn: Yes, if your character is "Middle Aged" or older, factor in those effects. There's a link in the original post (or the one right below it) on page 1.

@Ixy: The outcast could work pretty well, especially if she had a reputation with the City Watch of Waterdeep.

@Landshark: Sorry, I must not have seen your first post. I'd rather keep half-orc PCs out of the party for now. But yes, you can make a Harpell wizard. :)

@Darkling: There's no reason you couldn't make an arcane caster who follows Sharess and feels the need to show her devotion to her goddess (and her fellow traveling companions?) by engaging in a little sacred prostitution. All flavor without the class, but that could be achieved without multiclassing. If you want to multiclass, I'd be fine with that too, of course.

@Re L Z: So far, I've only had one completed character submitted, although I've seen at least 2 other sheets that just need a little more specific descriptions to be completed. I could take 6 characters easily, so there's still room.
O/O   Ideas

godfang

I have a  background for a jotunbrood (human with a feat that gives them traces of giant blood) that is the last surviving member of his mercenary band,  perhaps i can modify that to fit this campaign? I'm waiting for my other character submission to fall through first however, because i want to focus on just one game if possible, so if allowed, i will make my character within 24 hours. Is that too late?

Nicolae

@godfang: That should be within plenty of time.
O/O   Ideas

Blinkin

Quote from: Landshark on October 21, 2013, 04:59:34 PM
OHHH if no one else does it can I make a wizard of the clan Harpell? That would be so much fun!

Mystra save us!!!

On second thought. Tymora save us!!! With that bunch, we'll need all the luck she could provide!
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

EroticFantasyAuthor

My updated character sheet will hopefully be ready sometime tonight later on.

Blinkin

My Swashbuckler/rogue is all but done. I just have to pick the trait and send in the updated skills and mods from the trait. She'll be a bucket of fun in a sexy package that is very warm and snuggly. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.