Favorite Instance of Getting Crap Past the Radar?

Started by Mr. Vyce, October 08, 2010, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Vyce

While cleaning up my computer, I came across an essay I wrote about Disney's adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame about three years ago, particularly Judge Claude Frollo's Villian Song "Hellfire": The Hunchback Of Notre-Dame - Hellfire (English)
After watching this, it amazed me that it got past the censors and parents (this being a PG movie and all). My watching this sequence as a little kid, then watching it again ten years later gave me a very different (and creepier) interpretation. Even for old-school Disney, this is some potent stuff.

So...what is your favorite instance of Getting Crap Past the Radar?
If you don't know what the term means, you can find it here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GettingCrapPastTheRadar

Geeklet

Has to be this one particular instance in pro-wrestling. There was a character named "The Hurricane" who was portrayed as a super hero. Well, at one point, he got a side kick, who was given the title of superhero in training.

Let me repeat that.

Super
Hero
In
Training.

Sabby

My favourite one ever was in Rocko's Modern Life, a cartoon about a naive kangaroo living in the states with a geeky turtle and fun loving steer.

They were all going camping, and when looking for food, Rocko noticed a bush with orange berries. Walking up to it, he pinched one of them and was immediately bowled over by a confused and injured bear, holding it's crotch and yelping in pain.

Yes, the berry was his testicle. Yes, this was on Nickelodeon.

Mr. Vyce

Quote from: Sabby on October 08, 2010, 11:42:51 PM
My favourite one ever was in Rocko's Modern Life, a cartoon about a naive kangaroo living in the states with a geeky turtle and fun loving steer.

They were all going camping, and when looking for food, Rocko noticed a bush with orange berries. Walking up to it, he pinched one of them and was immediately bowled over by a confused and injured bear, holding it's crotch and yelping in pain.

I remember that one, Sabby. Another one I noticed was the name of Rocko and Heffer's favorite restaurant...the "Chokey Chicken".  ;)

Host of Seraphim

Rocko's Modern Life was filled with all kinds of naughty stuff. XD

I remember once in Hey Arnold, one of the boarders in Arnold's house told another to take a cold shower after the boarder in question hugged him. I remember seeing that part on TV a few years ago and just being like "heh."

I also remember in one episode of Rugrats, all the babies decided to stop wearing clothes for some reason. After the girl twin got naked, Tommy asked, "...Can I ask you something?" Not that bad, but even as a kid I remember thinking "OMG! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE SAID THAT! SO NAUGHTY!"

Hmm... back in middle school when The Incredibles came out, all of us 13-year olds were very amused by the line the villain says: "Oh, no. You married Elastigirl?" Then he sees their kids. "And got BIZ-ZAY!"
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 08, 2010, 11:42:51 PM

Oh, Rocko's Modern life is full of stuff like that. When he and a male cow named Heifer (think about it) go to the carnival they see an elevator-style thrill ride which is called the Elevator Ride to Heck by the man manning the ride but if you look at it's sign in the background it says Hell.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I watched the Dragon Ball Z Kai marathon today, and there were at least two incidents of someone urinating as a direct lead-in to a gag.  In one, Gohan was peeing against a cliff right before a dinosaur attacked him (cue scene of hastily stuffing 'something' into his pants), and in another, King Kai talked about the myriad ways he can entertain himself on such a small planet - including 'peeing for distance'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Another one from Rocko that I thought of was a story by the two gecko characters (Who sound like flamboyant Eastern-European hair dressers. Nothing wrong with that.) in which the faraway land sounded like ball sack.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Host of Seraphim

Those gecko dudes were perverts! They filmed Rocko naaaaaakeeeeed!

La Vie Moderne de Pinto

Naaaaakeeeeed! (Oh my!)
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Acinonyx

Talking about Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, there's a line in that movie that always gave me the chills - as a kid for the evilness, but gives me a whole lot of different chills as an adult.

Frollo: *sniffs Esmeralda's hair after capturing her from behind*
Esmeralda: What are you doing?
Frollo: *runs a hand over her neck* I was just imagining the rope around that beautiful neck...
Esmeralda: I know what you were imagining!

Kid me: Oh no, he wants to kill her!
Adult me: Yeah, I know what he was imagining. O_o;

oraphi

Does anyone else remember when Disney shiped the first wave of little mermaid vhs and no one caught that one of the towers in the backround been replaced with the image of an erect penis colored to blend in?  One of my friends still has a copy of the recalled box, I always thought the whole thing was a hoax.  :o
Pedestal, pedestal falls away.
Wake once, another day.
Sweat dreams ~

O&O
Behind the keyboard with Oraphi; an introduction

Muninn

I'll just leave this here.  ;D

(this is a new instance of Getting Crap Past the Radar but I love it!)

"Birds of Prey" from Batman: The Brave and The Bold

Here are some highlights:

Flash's foes, they finish last
Too bad sometimes he's just too fast.

Aquaman's always courageous
His little fish, less outrageous

Plasticman can expand
Becomes putty in our hands

Batman throws his Batarang
What a weapon, what a bang
Check out that utility belt
Sure can make a girl's heart melt
He's always right there for the save
I'd like to see his secret cave

Sabby

Just noticed two of them in Spongebob, one of the best cartoons ever made.

Spongebob tells Patrick, after he said something, that his 'genius' was showing, and he immediately covers his dick. Gee, wonder if he misheard genius as something else... xD

But the best one was just a subtle 'fuck you' from the writers. Spongebob appeared in a charity commercial, and that same charity just happens to support the gays. So two and two were put together, and it was naturally concluded this meant that Spongebob was gay, and a cartoon character was banned from Church.

And what comes out after this? Spongebob and Patrick adopt a clam as their baby, Patrick becomes the layabout husband, Spongebob the worked-to-the-bone house wife, and when the clam grows up and flies away, Patrick gives Spongebob a content, serious look and says "Let's have another"

CaringGuy

One instance that stands out the most in my mind is in the Pixar movie Cars.  Right near the beginning of the film, the main character Lightning McQueen comes out to greet his adoring fans after a big race.  Two very cute looking female cars drive up to him and simultaneously 'flash their headlights'.  If memory serves correctly, McQueen responds with something along the lines of "I love it when they do that", but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me. 

It was just really unexpected.  Not particularly funny, but I remember doing a double take when I first saw it.  It wasn't subtle at all.

Acinonyx

Now this is just someone projecting... a lot.

Pocahontas Subliminal Messages

I think this whole "Disney subliminal messages" is a bit over the top (not entirely), but I assume it's this company trying to make you interested in constructing the subliminal messages Disney never actually intended to have.

Mr. Vyce

Just finished playing Dissidia: Final Fantasy, and some of the pre-battle lines are a bit...suspect. (I guess these are more double-entendres, but still...)

Dissidia: That's what she said!

Not to mention some of the lines Sephiroth says to Cloud:
"Such a good boy...you've come back to me, where you belong."
"On your knees! I want you to beg for forgiveness."