Anime fans of E - anyone familiar with Psycho Pass?

Started by Galactic Druid, March 12, 2014, 01:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I suppose I should start this out by mentioning I'm really neither an anime fan, nor am I one of those whose strongly against it. I don't gravitate towards anime more than any other medium of entertainment. I just tend to watch what I think is good, regardless of where it comes from. While I don't 'get' a lot of anime and it's tropes, occasionally something like Summer Wars or Attack on Titan catches me by surprise and I fall in love with it.

Anyway, on a couple sites I visit, I've been seeing ad banners for a series called Psycho Pass, and despite the price tag, it's caught my attention. The website describes the series as this dystopian setting (something I love) where merely considering a crime is enough to make a citizen as guilty. In a lot of ways, the description reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Minority Report.

I was hoping someone here may already be familiar with it and have an opinion to share on whether it's worth the steep asking price, not to mention the time spent watching, to pick it up. It looks promising, but once again, anime tends to be pretty hit or miss with me, if it turns out to be pretty trope heavy I'd be likely to lose interest fast (Things like having a young girl who'se inexplicably one of the head enforces despite being 10, characters with powers so bizarre they seem out of place, and cute sidekicks are all good examples).

Any feedback you guys might have on the series would really be appreciated!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Kunoichi

While I haven't seen the series myself, I have heard quite a bit about it.  One of the people involved in the series' creation is Gen Urobuchi, who is known for doing dark, but generally high-quality work.  Based on what I've heard about the series, you don't have to worry about the types of tropes you mentioned.  There are no superpowers, no sidekicks, and the youngest girl on the force is the main character, who is at least 20 and also a rookie fresh out of training.

And Minority Report apparently was one of the big inspirations for this series, so it certainly seems like something you would enjoy.