Brexit applied to US Election

Started by CriminalMindsFan, November 12, 2016, 09:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CriminalMindsFan

I see voters here claiming the election we just had was our version of Brexit since Trump won. Then I turn around and see a Clinton supporter saying a vote for her was suppose to be our version of Brexit.

Which is it?

I also see people using state name+exit or exitUSA on protest signs because they want their state to exit the USA to form own country.

Zakharra

Quote from: CriminalMindsFan on November 12, 2016, 09:39:26 AM
I see voters here claiming the election we just had was our version of Brexit since Trump won. Then I turn around and see a Clinton supporter saying a vote for her was suppose to be our version of Brexit.

Which is it?

I also see people using state name+exit or exitUSA on protest signs because they want their state to exit the USA to form own country.

It's none of that. The comparison to Brexit is because Brexit happened earlier this year and its still in many peoples minds. And it was supposedly an upset, with the 'Stay' movement projected to win (from my understanding). Clinton was 'supposed' to win the election handily. This projection was by the media, polling and many political experts, almost all of whom were rooting for Hillary Clinton. They were of course shocked the Trump won the election instead of the projected winner. To them this was a major and unexpected upset that shouldn't have happened.

What happened though? They all pretty much misread the people and the voters and ignored reality to substitute their own reality as the default reality. This came back to bite them in the ass when Trump actually won.

And the people trying to secede from the US? The Calexit crowd and so on? Sore losers. They lost fair and square and now they are wanting to take their ball and go home, while kicking down the area. I compare them to self indulgent spoiled children. They lost. Get over it. So what if their candidate didn't win, learn from your mistakes (and the Democrats made a lot of mistakes) and try again in 2018 and 2020. Don't pitch a tantrum like whiny children just because you lost a fair election ffs...

Sorry if this was kind of ranty, but I am getting sick of the idiots who are protesting this election loss with riots, beatings and attacks. Protect all you want, but keep them non-violent, please!
And those on the Republican side(or the ones using the Republican name) that are using this as an excuse to be dickbags and racist/homophobic assholes; stop it right now. Treat everyone with respect. Do NOT treat people like shit just because someone else happens to have a different skin color or is a different ethnicity or is a gay/lesbian or transgender or a different religion. Stop doing that shit now. It's unbecoming of you and unbecoming of Americans and unbecoming of civilized people.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Zakharra on November 12, 2016, 10:06:12 AM
What happened though? They all pretty much misread the people and the voters and ignored reality to substitute their own reality as the default reality. This came back to bite them in the ass when Trump actually won.
I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, there was some, maybe a lot, of misreading of the polls, and some of it may have been wishful thinking. But I think a lot of people just didn't quite understand the level of uncertainty inherent in polls. Once all votes are counted, Clinton may have won the popular vote by about 1 point. Polls before the election had her ahead by about 3 points. That's a 2 point miss for the polls, and that is within the margin of error you can expect from polls like this.

Yes, there may have been some hedging, some weighing of polls to get them to conform to "common wisdom", but there is a difference between people ignoring reality, and people placing too much stock in the polls. I think, for the most part, it was the latter that happened.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Tamhansen

Quote from: Zakharra on November 12, 2016, 10:06:12 AM

And the people trying to secede from the US? The Calexit crowd and so on? Sore losers. They lost fair and square and now they are wanting to take their ball and go home, while kicking down the area. I compare them to self indulgent spoiled children. They lost. Get over it. So what if their candidate didn't win, learn from your mistakes (and the Democrats made a lot of mistakes) and try again in 2018 and 2020. Don't pitch a tantrum like whiny children just because you lost a fair election ffs...

They aren't secceding or protesting just because they lost the election. Otherwise you would have seen this kind of behaviour in 2000 and 2004. People are protesting because a very, very dangerous man has been elected to office.

A man who not only encouraged hate towards PoC and LGBT, but one who also denies climate change and is already working on defunding the EPA, and ending green subsidies.

A man who is currently considering to appoint as secretary of education someone who believes the pyramids were built as grain silos.

A man who has vowed to end planned parenthood, and make abortion nearly impossible, even when medically neccesary.

A man who has promissed to reinstate torture.

A man who has threatened to imprisson political rivals.

This isn't just a difference in economic policy. These people fear that their way of life, or indeed their actual lives are in danger.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Major Major

I might be in NZ, but I too have the proverbial 'skin in the game'; one of friends in the states is transgender, and she has medical disabilities as well.

HannibalBarca

Some Texans threatened to secede after Obama was elected.  They didn't want Obamacare 'imposed' on them, among other subjects.  They claimed 'states' rights'.  This is a dog whistle for those who feel the Confederacy was in the right during the U.S. Civil War.

Some Californians are threatening to secede now.  They don't want friends and family deported because of their background.  They don't want Trump to backpedal on freedoms secured during Obama's terms, like gay marriage.  They don't want the additional healthcare for formerly uninsured citizens taken away, as will happen if Obamacare is removed.

Neither would actually be able to secede, however.  Neither state has sufficient numbers who would back a secession movement.  Besides, leaving the union would be stupid, wasteful, and cowardly, in my opinion.  Now is not the time to cut and run.  Now is the time to fight harder for the rights of those who are threatened.

Much like the Brexit situation, after some time has passed, most people in the U.S. are going to realize what a mistake was made.  Trump makes George W. Bush look like Abraham Lincoln.  Bush ended up with something like a 22% approval rating when he left office.  Trump is starting out with a 33% rating--or at least, that's what he has right now.  He hasn't even begun his term as President yet.  The Republican leadership in Washington might consider him a useful idiot, someone to rubber stamp their bills in Congress...but Trump had been a Democrat for decades before he decided to run.  He's against the TPP.  I give him two years tops before the Republicans turn on him and attempt to impeach him.  That would leave establishment darling Mike Pence as President, someone who would get along with Congressional Republicans just fine.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

TheGlyphstone

Not everyone is protesting for the same reason, either. There was an article in my local paper today about a band of anti-Trump protesters, where the member interviewed insisted that Trump was elected illegitimately for vague and unspecified reasons probably related to popular vs. electoral votes. I'm sure some of the other people in that crowd had real legitimate issues, but as one homogeneous mass you can't tell them apart without asking.