Looking for *good, reliable, and free* MMOs

Started by Oniya, June 19, 2010, 08:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm still trying to discourage Mr. Oniya from entering the abyss that is Warcrack.  He has tried one of the free MMOs that I linked him to, and because it was too unreliable (constantly down), he's given up and wants to sign up on WoW under the free 10-day trial.  He's sworn that he won't enter CC or bank card info on it, and that he's going to use these pre-paid 'game cards', which makes me feel a little better, but I'm still not happy about it - and he knows it.

So help me E - I need specific MMOs that have reliable servers and decent gameplay to catch his interest (may even sign up on it myself in order to entice him.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

The most comprehensive list I've found is this. You could browse through it and see if anything meets your requirements.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Wolfy

Neosteam
Perfect World
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine, if he likes story and doesn't mind a little complication.

Wolfy

Or you could have him join the free version of D&D Online...or LOTRO Free version later this year. Or Runes of Magic (I think that's what it's called) Which is basically a free version of WoW under a different name.

Serephino

My boyfriend liked Guild Wars.  Unless they changed it, you have to buy the game, but after that you can play all you want. 

Red Tressed Imp

Second Life. He can buy stuff, or get stuff for free. He can blow up aliens, go surfing, fight other players... pretty much anything he can imagine.
"You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better. "

Imp's Inventory (O/Os): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=54674.msg2523003#msg2523003

Wolfy

Quote from: Serephino on June 19, 2010, 08:52:43 PM
My boyfriend liked Guild Wars.  Unless they changed it, you have to buy the game, but after that you can play all you want. 

Yes, Get him Guild Wars. You can buy all three Campaigns and the Expansion for like, $40 right now.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on June 19, 2010, 10:40:53 PM
Yes, Get him Guild Wars. You can buy all three Campaigns and the Expansion for like, $40 right now.

*points back at the thread title*

At any rate, I looked up Runes of Magic, and it does look a lot like what he was enjoying last year - quests and fantasy armor and whatnot.  He even came over to see what I was looking at.  I'm going to see how the registration goes, since the EULA talks about payment information, but if I'm not asked for any account info, then I'll start playing around with the controls to see how easy it is to learn.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hunter

GryphonCompanion

Guild Wars is worth buying. Firstly because there is no monthly fee. Secondly because it will beat out most free MMOs, including DDO and LotRO. I've been playing GW since its inception and have yet to grow tired of it. It is a worthy small investment.
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

I have seen slower people than I am and more deliberate … and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But, they were dead.
- Mark Twain

Serephino

Yes, completely 100% free games tend to have really crappy graphics, and are full of hackers and bullies.  Not to mention glitches and the like aren't fixed and farmers run rampant.  If the company doesn't have any income coming in they don't give a shit about it.  This comes from my gamer boyfriend who only likes pay to play for that reason. 

Also, they do try to make money in other ways.  Like Conqueror.  In order to do anything worth while you need these things called dragon balls, which they conveniently sell on their website, and farmers sell them too.  Even the face book games, in order to get the achievements and do well, it's damned near impossible without buying face book credits!  Actually, in the case of Vampire Wars, it isn't possible to get the special abilities without buying favor points for real money *grumbles*.  Of course I'm stubborn and don't care enough to spend real money, but I'm strange.    I've been playing WoW for 3 years now, have only one 70, very few achievements, and I don't give a shit....

You can try Runes of Magic, but there usually is some sort of catch.  That's why I suggested Guild Wars.  It may cost money up front for the box, but after that no fees of any kind.  And since they make money off the boxes they care about the game.  That's why my boyfriend loved it.  I didn't care for it, but really, WoW has been the only game to really hold my interest.   

GryphonCompanion

Actually, I'm trying a game I just found called Granado Espada. It is a free MMO with a store, just like DDO (now) and LotRO (in the fall). So I am gonna check it out over the next few days ^_^
GCs O/Os
GCs A/As (Updated 12/14)
GCs Story Ideas

I have seen slower people than I am and more deliberate … and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But, they were dead.
- Mark Twain

Brandon

You could look into Mabinogi as well. I played it at one time and found it very WoW like but lacking in the graphics department. While it has a lot of the wow like elements its more of a life simulator like second life. Last I heard ZK was playing it, Im sure she could give you more info on it

Steparu commonly reviews foreign games, many but not all of them free. You could check out her site and do some reading. Link: http://steparu.com/
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hunter

I play one called rappelz.   The graphics are a little on the outdated side but the tutorials for starting players haven't been matched.  And there's an amazing amount of diversity (especially among the pet system).

Drake Valentine

I liked Atlantica Online used to played it for long time till new job environment made me start sacrificing things I do. ;\

Any who, looking for something bit different with strategy/turn base elements than Atlantica Online can be pretty fun. It is one of those tactics MMORPGS.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

RoxasZhou

D&D online
Lotr Online when its free release is up
Aika Online
Rappelz Online
Cabal Online
Eudemons Online
Last Chaos
Shaiya

W.o.W. similar games:

Runes Of Magic
4story/Gates Of Andaron

Pitagora

If you are European i say STAY AWAY from Neosteam.
Last time i tried to play that game was so laggy you can't even play.

If you want a WoW-like graphics than i would suggest Allods.
It is really interesting

Jag

Mabinogi and Perfect World seem nice to me. I played Mabinogi for a while and my husband, mother, and mother's boyfriend all played Perfect World (and enjoyed it quite a bit).

Mabinogi might be free, but it is time consuming (unless it's changed dramatically since I last played).

Maple Story is made by the same company as Mabinogi, but it's very cutesy. Still, it's free and easy.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Heaven Sent Blossom

Warhammer Online threw up a free "try to draw people in with a skeleton service" system at some point, I think it's still running however it's worth considering that WAR is an abomination for the most part.
Also I think Age of Conan has added a similar system, and that game gives you a war mammoth. Do you know of another free MMO that gives you a war mammoth? I know I don't.

Florence

Someone earlier suggested Shin Megami Tensei Online, and I have to agree, that's a really good one for free. If you want a more... WoW-like MMO, there's Allods, just enough like WoW to be shiny, pretty and easy to handle, but unique enough to be worth giving a shit. Plus the Arisen, Allods version of undead, make me happy in ways I can't describe in a non-adult board xD

You know a game is doing SOMETHING right if its UNDEAD can do that to a person xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Florence

SHOT* xD sorry, typo... <_< >_> and... uh... sorry about the double-post, but I don't know how profanity is tolerated in the non-adult boards and I don't wanna get yelled at for a typo xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Oniya

Well, I finally logged in to Runes of Magic last night (time's been at a premium for me).  Graphics looked good, it was a little sluggish (could be my machine, could be server load), but it didn't look too different from the pay stuff I've seen.  Other than not being able to figure out how to jump with any precision - which again, might be me - it seemed very easy to learn, and quite entertaining.

HairyHeretic

World of Tanks will apparently be free. It's only in beta at present, but looks like it could be fun.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DKPeter

I think the best pure free-to-play out on the market right now is Dungeons & Dragons Online until Lord of the Rings Online comes out as free-to-play some time in the fall. Guild Wars is good, but you have to buy the software to play the game.

Introduction
Character O/OsStory O/OsKinks O/Os
Systems • My Stories • My Characters