Interest Check - Me and My Monster/Me and My Human

Started by Idlewyld, August 09, 2014, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlewyld

I'm just in the initial phases of working out the idea, but here it is...

Earth has been overrun by monsters, but in an impressive display of biological ju-jitsu, human scientists have released a DNA-mutagen that has resulted in many of those monsters (the smaller ones classed as humanoid) now requiring human caring, affection, and love to access the very powers that make them so menacing. As a result, the monsters and humans now work in pairs to help defend the Earth from the larger, scarier monsters (generally known as big bads.) The players will be students at The Institute - a center of higher learning where monsters and humans learn to work with each other as a team, with scenes generally alternating between lighter-hearted episodes of life at The Institute and battles against the ever encroaching horrors that threaten civilization.

At least initially, I'm thinking of having about 10 players (five monster/human teams) and I wouldn't say no to a co-GM to help me work out the bugs in the system I'm developing.

AndyZ

I am curious about this one.  Does the monster simply not care about humans and require the love and affection, or might it enjoy such?  The latter might be fun.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Idlewyld

Quote from: AndyZ on August 09, 2014, 07:05:32 PM
I am curious about this one.  Does the monster simply not care about humans and require the love and affection, or might it enjoy such?  The latter might be fun.

The way I see it, the monster might not HAVE to care about the human, but in most cases the very dynamics of the relationship would eventually result in the monster developing feelings, and that those very feelings would in fact help the monster accessing his or her powers.

Kunoichi

Might I recommend looking into a system called Monsters and Other Childish Things?  It's set up for a premise that's already extremely close to what you're trying to do.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that this post might have come across as sounding significantly less polite and well-meaning than I'd intended it to. ><; The basic idea you've got does sound like it would work well as a Monsters and Other Childish Things campaign, though.  I was just thinking that it might be worth your time to look into it.

Idlewyld

Thanks for the advice - looking into it among other options. In the meanwhile, here's a basic background I've worked up for the game.

History

In 2008, in the aftermath of wars, natural disasters, and the economic crash, fate had one more cruel surprise in store for humanity. On December 5, a team of crack archaeologists uncovered an arch in a tomb near Alexandretta, Turkey dating from the 12th century. Fortunately, one of the team could read the inscription on the top of the arch written in Aramaic. Unfortunately, he read it out loud. This was unfortunate in that word for word, the inscription read, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T READ THIS INSCRIPTION OUT LOUD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. WE MEAN IT." Suddenly, the arch was revealed to be a gate, and all the monsters and horrors that had been imagined since the beginning of human storytelling poured out, precipitating the greatest crisis civilization has ever faced.

For years, it seemed as if humanity's extinction was a foregone conclusion. The monsters were bigger, stronger, had powers far beyond human understanding, and were growing ever more numerous. And it seemed that they fed off the flesh or spirit of the humans themselves. However, it turned out that a few things were actually working in the humans' favor. First, the monsters themselves were hardly an organized front. Many of the different kinds of monsters were at odds with each other as often as they were with the humans. For that matter, just because two monsters were of the same kind didn't necessarily meant they got along peacefully. And humanity often produces its best work when it is backed into a corner.

And such was the case in 2012, when plucky scientists Travis Snugel and Tabitha Bonnie developed an airborne mutagen which, while far from solving the problem, radically changed its parameters. The monsters soon found that they could only absorb spirit willingly given - rendering them dependent on caring, affection, and even dare we say, love. Furthermore, the extent of the powers that the monster could access became directly related to the strength of the bond between the monster and the human with which he or she was affiliated. As the relationship grew stronger, so did the monster's powers. The predator-prey relationship had been transformed into a symbiotic one. Scientists quickly termed this the Snugel-Bonnie effect.

Still, the danger remains. The larger more powerful monsters, greater demons, eldritch horrors, nasty tentacled thingies and tunacanes (like a sharknado except while the latter merely leaves you as a messy corpse, the tunacane subsides with the victim smelling like three day old fish - and on the day of Homecoming! Horrors!) developed some sort of resistance to the effect, more or less collecting its prey as harems. However, now the world is defended by monster-human pairs and perhaps, for the first time in years, there is hope. To that end, Doctors Snugel and Bonnie have formed The Monster-Human Institute, a college dedicated to the matching and training of monsters and high-affinity humans.

Kunoichi

Ooh, that looks like an interesting backstory for the game. ^^ Like I said over PMs, you can definitely count me as interested.  I hope you get a few more people wanting to join in.

Interdiction of words

I think I will join as well for the possibility to be a monster would be the best
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

mai

Do you expect the game to take on a similar humorous tone to your background writing, or are things going to be more serious?

Prince Truhan

Idlewyld

Quote from: mai on August 11, 2014, 12:01:14 AM
Do you expect the game to take on a similar humorous tone to your background writing, or are things going to be more serious?

This is definitely intended to be a comedy game. Think ecchi anime

mai

Ah, ok, thanks for the response. I don't think I'm interested in the game, in that case.

SmilingFox

Well, color me interested. I'd be happy to join in, as either a human or a monster. I'm relatively open minded, so if there's any particular monster anyone would like me to be, I'll be happy to adapt.

SammyGirl

This sounds kind of fun...I love monster/human relationships. But just how humanoid are the humanoid monsters? And is it allowed to have a monster that is an androgenous hermaphrodite and interested in males?

Idlewyld

Quote from: SammyGirl on August 11, 2014, 11:39:00 AM
This sounds kind of fun...I love monster/human relationships. But just how humanoid are the humanoid monsters? And is it allowed to have a monster that is an androgenous hermaphrodite and interested in males?

That's entirely up to the players. What I had in mind were monsters like vampires, werewolves, other animal breeds (nekomimi, kitsune, mermaids, et al), succubi, and the like

Kunoichi

How about indestructible killer robots from the future? :P

Idlewyld

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 11, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
How about indestructible killer robots from the future? :P

Study with meee if you waant to liive

Kunoichi

Now we just need to stick it in a maid uniform.

Especially if it looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger. :P

SmilingFox

"Initiating Homework Subroutines."

"That's great, could you just...."

"Initiating Dinner Subroutines."

"This is delicious but..."

"Initiating Relaxation Subroutines."

"W-where did those tentacles come from?"

SammyGirl

Quote from: Idlewyld on August 11, 2014, 12:25:33 PM
That's entirely up to the players. What I had in mind were monsters like vampires, werewolves, other animal breeds (nekomimi, kitsune, mermaids, et al), succubi, and the like
Hmm.... I'm not big on vampires and werewolves....at least not werewolves that are CALLED werewolves. I guess I just don't like stuff that EVERYONE is crazy about. I like being differenht. Problem with that is nobody wants to play with you XD

Oh well.

Idlewyld

Quote from: SammyGirl on August 12, 2014, 12:59:33 PM
Hmm.... I'm not big on vampires and werewolves....at least not werewolves that are CALLED werewolves. I guess I just don't like stuff that EVERYONE is crazy about. I like being differenht. Problem with that is nobody wants to play with you XD

Oh well.

Once again, the only limit is your imagination, so if you have an idea, either put it here or PM it to me and we'll figure out a way to make it work

Kunoichi

I was imagining a mob of succubi all joined together with a sort of hive mind, myself, though whether or not I'd be able to do that would strongly depend on the sort of rules we end up using. :P

EdwardShane

I might be interested if you have room for a humanish manticore....

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Idlewyld

The manticore is certainly doable. The succubus hive might take a little bit of tweaking to keep game balance. Also, considering the monster-human ratio seen so far, I'm thinking that players would probably have to make one of each, much as Kunoichi suggested earlier.

cabalxxvi

So, I'm thinking that I am interested in the game for sure.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

EdwardShane