What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

Lesson to all you kids out there: don't hug people you love.

You might get sued.

TheGlyphstone

To be fair, that article says her case was heard and rejected in 20 minutes. But the fact that she did it at all earns the #auntfromhell hashtag, yeah.

eBadger

Quote from: Cycle on October 14, 2015, 09:01:33 AM
Lesson to all you kids out there: don't hug people you love.

You might get sued.

Some more explanation on this, which I figured there had to be.  Basically, it surrounded a claim against the home insurance to pay medical bills, not trying to get money from the kid or his family.  Not that she sounds like a super person or anything, but it's a bit more logical. 

Lustful Bride

Strange object blocks light of distant sun and scientists can't explain it.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-can-t-explain-the-bizarre-mass-of-objects-orbiting-a-distant-star

Though some are whispering alien object.

Theres no time to waste, its time to start building the xcom,project.  8-)

Lustful Bride

*in my best Professor Farnsworth voice* Good News Everyone!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fbi-sex-trafficking-sting-saves-149-children-nabs-150/ar-AAfty4a?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

An FBI sting operation around the nation captured 150 pimps and other scum as well as saving 149 children (some as young as 12) from a life of sex slavery and human trafficking.

Good on you Ladies and Gents. I only wish they could have put down the perpetrators like the animals they were. No one who does that to children deserves to live.

I just hope those children can get the mental/emotional help they need.

Mikem

Just learned about Miss Wolverine from Marvel.

And from the rest of the article, basically Marvel is replacing pretty much all of their superheroes with women and minorities. I'm not against it, but it seems just a bit pandering to the activists.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mikem on October 16, 2015, 06:35:35 AM

And from the rest of the article, basically Marvel is replacing pretty much all of their superheroes with women and minorities. I'm not against it, but it seems just a bit pandering to the activists.

Eh, Tony's reaction here pretty much sums up mine.

Avis habilis

When they should still be pandering to cis het white men, apparently.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 16, 2015, 10:11:46 AM

Its more about whether or not gender flipping a certain character makes sense. This is all subjective, but personally whilst I found a female Thor very cool in the way they explained it by tweaking already existing mythology to make Thor a rank and not a specific character, Wolverine doesn't have this option. He doesn't come from the highly ritualized society of Asguard, he's a mutant, produced by chance augmented by science. (Its a comic book, so I'll let it slide that a clone of Wolverine would retain the original one's gender.)

Ultimately my preferences aren't of a huge concern, and certainly not a deal breaker. But if they want to diversify their caste of white males, to me it would make more sense to focus on the heroes who are a rank or possess a potent ideology to pass on to their next incarnation. To me, Wolverine is neither of those.

Sexual orientation is obviously different, because no hero is confirmed straight, they are just assume to be so because straight is the assumed norm. Revealing Iceman to be guy showed that it was very easy to diversify the roster in this aspect, you didn't even need to make a new character.

TheGlyphstone

At least as far as Wolverine goes, X-23 was already an established character in the franchise, she's not someone they pulled out of thin air. So it's more like the existing character dying and another, related character taking up their fallen mantle, in a 'there must always be a Lich KingWolverine'. And if they're doing a storyline like that anyways, X-23's one of the better available options to fill Logan's foots (being his clone and all that).

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 16, 2015, 10:57:51 AM
At least as far as Wolverine goes, X-23 was already an established character in the franchise, she's not someone they pulled out of thin air. So it's more like the existing character dying and another, related character taking up their fallen mantle, in a 'there must always be a Lich KingWolverine'. And if they're doing a storyline like that anyways, X-23's one of the better available options to fill Logan's foots (being his clone and all that).

But I don't understand why Logan's boots need to be field, why the mantel needs to be passed on. Wolverine wasn't a rank like Thor, nor did he embody some ideal like Captain America, another good hero to gender flip and/or make non-white. So why can't X-23 get her own name, rather thank taking Wolverine's? Just personal preference.

Oniya

I imagine being known as an experiment number has got to be a little awkward...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 16, 2015, 11:12:07 AM
  But I don't understand why Logan's boots need to be field, why the mantel needs to be passed on. Wolverine wasn't a rank like Thor, nor did he embody some ideal like Captain America, another good hero to gender flip and/or make non-white. So why can't X-23 get her own name, rather thank taking Wolverine's? Just personal preference.

That has nothing to do with in-universe reasons. It's because of Wolverine Publicity, he's one of Marvel's #1 leading headliners and earns roughly all the money. Of course they're going to have a new Wolverine.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2015, 11:17:19 AM
I imagine being known as an experiment number has got to be a little awkward...

Huh? I said get her own name, not keep X-23.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 16, 2015, 11:18:28 AM
That has nothing to do with in-universe reasons. It's because of Wolverine Publicity, he's one of Marvel's #1 leading headliners and earns roughly all the money. Of course they're going to have a new Wolverine.

I guess if Wolverine is coming back anyway they may as well be female, but as I said, personal preference would be to save it for the ones which makes sense in universe.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 16, 2015, 11:21:50 AM
  Huh? I said get her own name, not keep X-23.

I guess if Wolverine is coming back anyway they may as well be female, but as I said, personal preference would be to save it for the ones which makes sense in universe.

Sure, but the odds of that are pretty much nonexistent, so we might as well get the best of the options available. And if it also diversifies the cast, bonus points.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 16, 2015, 11:30:47 AM
Sure, but the odds of that are pretty much nonexistent, so we might as well get the best of the options available. And if it also diversifies the cast, bonus points.

Why so? Thor made sense in universe, and Captain America was replaced. Okay, they were replaced by a second white male, but they could be a South East Asian women next time. Why do you feel the chances are nonexistent?

Cycle

Given how 99% of the women are drawn in comics, I'd say they're pandering to the adolescent, sexually maturing hetero young males.

Sara Nilsson

Avis and Cycle, can I marry you two for those posts? ^^ and you owe me a new monitor! sip, swallow, scroll.. repeat to self.

Mikem

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 16, 2015, 10:11:46 AM

You couldn't have just said, 'Men'?
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Oniya

Well, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't appeal to gay men.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mikem

On to spacey stuff, Scientists have found odd light emissions from a distant star, claiming something, or multiple somethings may be in orbit around the star. But here's the kicker. They claim the distortions are so irregular because they can't possibly be caused by anything naturally occurring. Meaning, ladies and gentlemen, that they may have just discovered something technological in nature, and thus, extra terrestrial.

The star is 1,480 light years away, so when you think about it, we're actually seeing light that originated back in the year 535AD. That was a good year I'm sure. The Byzantines tried to reconquer Italy, Krakatoa erupted, and Aliens built giant structures around a star.

My Ons & Offs

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mikem on October 17, 2015, 02:49:37 AM
On to spacey stuff, Scientists have found odd light emissions from a distant star, claiming something, or multiple somethings may be in orbit around the star. But here's the kicker. They claim the distortions are so irregular because they can't possibly be caused by anything naturally occurring. Meaning, ladies and gentlemen, that they may have just discovered something technological in nature, and thus, extra terrestrial.

The star is 1,480 light years away, so when you think about it, we're actually seeing light that originated back in the year 535AD. That was a good year I'm sure. The Byzantines tried to reconquer Italy, Krakatoa erupted, and Aliens built giant structures around a star.

Or rather, there are apparently a wide variety of potentially entirely natural causes for the distortions, unless you listen to the Daily Mail, who apparently thinks it's caused by Elvis. Most are low-probability, but aliens are an even lower probability (as said by the actual scientists themselves).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ethansiegel/2015/10/16/bizarre-star-kic-8462852-an-alien-paradise-or-a-catastrophic-wasteland/
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/10/something-were-not-sure-what-is-radically-dimming-a-stars-light/

Lustful Bride

75 year old James Vernon (US Army veteran) saves children in a library from a crazed man trying to kill them with a knife.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/army-veteran-fights-off-man-threatening-children-with-knives/ar-AAfxKY7?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

Mr. Vernon suffered two cut arteries and a tendon in the fight but the children were all safe. He managed to hold the attacker down until a library employee could take the knives form the man and the police finally arrived.

I love it when old people show they can still kick ass and save the day.  ;D

TaintedAndDelish

Members of an isolated, secretive christian cult  ( Word of Life ) in upstate N.Y. are accused of beating their son to death with extension cords ( killing one and seriously wounding the other ) during an "intervention". Allegedly, the older son was accused from the pulpit, of practicing witchcraft. It's said that he also wanted to leave the cult. The purpose of the "intervention" of course, was to get them to confess their sins. Nice family. ( Mind you, the Manson family was more loving towards their own.)

It gets better - occasional roof top fires, suspicious neighbors, secrecy, puppies, black clothing and a leader who  thought everyone was "lusting" after his gorgeous wife ( Pictured below in orange with a gritty looking bondage-esc chain accessory. Smile Momma, you're on camera! )

http://culteducation.com/group/1321-word-of-life-christian-church/28880-glimpses-inside-secretive-sect-after-killing-at-upstate-new-york-church.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/nyregion/lucas-leonard-beating-death-at-upstate-new-york-church.html?_r=0

Kinda makes you want to hold hands around the rooftop fire and sing Kum-bay-ya, eh?