News:

Main Menu

Elliquiy SPORE Players

Started by King_Furby, August 31, 2008, 07:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

lets talk about spore, post pictures, ask for buddie names, spore is awesome talk about it.

Just wondering who is going to get SPORE this coming month?

I for one am getting really excited, it comes out in the US on the 7th. I am pre-ordering tommorow, the 80 dollar special edition.

But i was thinking. after it comes out we can post our creatures that we make. I mean ones you play as in the game, not ones you just make with the creature creator.

Sabby

This should really go in Gaming.

I honestly don't know much about the game. I haven't seen any video and maybe 3 screens, and read no previews. Lacking a decent computer, I don't keep up with PC gaming. But I hear a lot of people talk about it, and not being interested in it seems to automatically brand me as someone of poor intelligence -__-

Maeven

I am definitely getting it-- been waiting on it to come out for a year and a half and I've played around a little with the free creature creator thingy.   

I am a bit of an evolution fangirl.  Every science paper I've ever done has tied into it in some way so this is right up my alley.

That being said, I'm terrible at micromanagement (i.e. games like the sims) so I may spend all my time as an amoeba.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

HairyHeretic

At some point possibly, but the open beta for WAR starts on Sunday, the game goes live on the 18th and I can see that taking up a LOT of my time over the coming while :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

LaBelleDame

I'm in the same boat as Missy Maeven.
Everything up to the point of the tribal stage sounds thrilling and fun.
Leading a civilization into space....I don't think I can control that much action.
I just want to be a blob.
^o^
I really should get me one of these.

ZK

I've had this game on reservation for so damn long... I was almost going to give up hope for it ever coming out. But alas, it is next week. Yay.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MagicalPen

I'm a little reserved about getting it. The Creature Creator does not work properly on my brand-spanking new computer. Its all fine until I go to pain my creature, then the colors go CRAZY. No apparent fix for this, so not sure if this will also occur in the full game. Odd, seeing how my computer is about 1 month old. 4 GM Memory, Dual GTX 260 Video Cards, Dual 3.000 GHZ Processor...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

ZK

What an odd set-up. Remember, computers only run as fast as their weakest part.

I'd get a quad-core like me. A Phenom or a Pentium Quad. Or a Quad 2 Extreme (if you can afford that type of upgrade, 3K for a processor is a bit pricy).

It's your video-cards. They're so new, it hasn't been worked into the system. All I have is a 9800 GTX and that is rather quick. I'll be getting another one. But seriously, you don't need anything pass a 9800 GTX or an 8800 GTS card yet, nothing will use those graphics cards to their full potential until around 2012 or so.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MagicalPen

Well, it was all part of process of getting the new PC. I figured why go with what I have on my old PC when I can go with something that won't be outdated in a few years. None of my other games have any sort of graphics issue. (STALKER, COD 4, Hearts of Iron, Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin, Oblivion, Gothik 3, etc). Just Creature Creator.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Inkidu

Honestly I forgot that game was even in production. I'm so behind on my gaming, which in a way is a good thing.
I mean I just got Umbrella Chronicles. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

King_Furby

my galatic edition shiped today, so i should be making creatures and playing spore by mid week. I am going to try to make a darliek from dr. who. Or at least try to make a vehicle that looks like one.

Jeramiahh

I've put in about... 15 hours or so since release. 24 hours ago. Have one creature into space, and a second just moved into Tribal.

It is a fascinating game; every section of the game plays differently. If you're clever, normal difficulty should be a walk in the park, and, once you figure out the tricks, like how 'social combat' works, and how to maximize abilities, you can get some scary combos going. I almost took down one of the Epic creatures during the creature stage, but gave up when I realized the fight would take more than an hour.

I wish I had more customization options when it comes to, say, a creature's patterns, or, more importantly, to the attached body parts. Space is fun, but decisions you make on the way there will come back to haunt you in the space stage; as a warmonger, everyone you meet wants to kill you in the most horrible way possible. "Attention! Your three colonies and home planet are under attack! Simultaneously! By fifty ships! You have one!"

It's a great game, though, and I'm looking forward to spending days with this thing.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

King_Furby

I just ordered a new comp so i will wait to play spore for another week or so but i am excited.

see any cock monsters yet? lol

ZK

You can only get those by (rarely) accident or if you subscribe to someone who makes those.

They made it that way to keep minors from seeing a sea of penis monsters.

kongming

/tg/ and /v/ have been making many goatse/penis/generally-X-rated monsters just in order to try to bump the rating up. Apparently nearly all the pokemon have been made, too, which is pretty cool. As have longcat, Chaos gods (GrimDark) and similar.

Anyway, I would get it, but my PC isn't powerful enough ;_;

I'm considering getting the DS version, but I'd really prefer to playtest it before I shell out $60 - the case doesn't really give any indication as to how good it will be.

Oh, and for those getting the PC version: be warned, it is packaged with Rapeware (that is to say, so called piracy-prevention software that can utterly fuck your computer). You may want to find some kind of fix that removes the Rapeware completely. Most people I know who have the game decided to just cut out the middleman and pirate it as a form of protest against it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

ZK

I wouldn't call it rapewear as it doesn't fuck up your computer. It isn't the same SecuROM 10 day verification BS either. I haven't had any problems or visible(or technical) slowdowns with the game installed.

Jeramiahh

It's kind of funny; since I played it hardcore the first day it came out, I ran into my own creation on the second playthrough.. which was mean, because it was the meanest, most brutal combat creature you can possibly build in this game. My poor little kitties got destroyed hard.

My first race, a species of warmongering, world-dominating madmen, are busily fighting a war on two fronts, which means I'm constantly defending my three worlds from assaults. All I want to do now is terraform; that's so much fun, but the game won't let me. My second race is deep into the tribal stage, and going pure pacifists, on hard difficulty, which means everything's inherently hostile. I'm doing surprisingly well, considering... plus, the achievements for beating the game on hard are totally worth it.

The entire game is achievement based; there's the achievements for doing things throughout the game, and the entire Space section is one big achievement farming marathon. To progress, you need badges, which are mini-achievements. Raise a planet's T level, find something unique, fight a war, kill enemies, do missions, etc. Completing badges unlocks appropriate tools for your spaceship; so fight a lot, get bigger and better weapons. Terraform, and get more tools. That, and the universe is freaking huge. While having a galaxy spanning empire sounds awesome, I know you're going to be spammed with "Oh god please come save us from Disaster #317 this week!" as soon as you get more than 10 colonies. It's bad enough with three.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

ZK

My max complexity creatures always end up as monsters... it's so awesome to see my horrific creations destroying cities and such when I go to other planets.

kongming

Well, I decided to buy Spore Creatures for DS. And it's awesome. It's apparently quite different from Spore, but it works - you start with a creature as opposed to a lump of cells, and you earn/buy/find parts to change your shape with, and can recolour, resize etc. As you gain levels (buy completing objectives, killing shit and making friends), you gain more HP, energy points (for spell-like powers that certain body parts grant) and body points (each body part attached costs body points).

There's only one of you - always only one - but you can get friends to wander around and help you, the combat is simple (if you read the manual. It took a couple of deaths for me to figure that bit out), and it has a nice, simple plot that really exists just to give you a reason to be wandering around, looking for new parts and stuff.

I'm really enjoying it. More games should have customisation features like it. Oh, and full marks for it adjusting the stance and balance points of the critter based on where you place legs, how big they are and how many there are. I knew Spore does that (with much greater complexity), but for the DS (where the critters themselves are only pseudo-3D), it's worthy of applause.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Jeramiahh

That sounds almost exactly like the Creature phase; you control one creature, recruit allies, grow in level, gaining HP, and find new parts for yourself. It's sounds a fair bit more in-depth (the customization options are, sadly, pretty lacking), and the builder sounds just like Spore's. Since I like the Creature phase the second most (behind Space), that sounds like a good buy for anyone with a DS.

King_Furby

I can't play it till this tuesday but i am really looking forward to it. I just want to hop in and see what happens.

MagicalPen

Apparently my graphics issues is because of SLI/Dual Video Cards. If I turn SLI Off, it renders the textures fine etc. A pretty lame bug to have in a 'released' game if you ask me, especially in this day and age where dual-video cards are becoming more and more popular.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Laeori

My husband got it on release day and both he and my two daughters are completely addicted now -.- hehe So, I haven't played yet, but it seems great.

magnamos

My Empire constantly grows mostly because some War-loving Freaks pissed into my coffe. I had to take over all there Planets and absorb there species to give peace a chance. It's really fun but I think the first two phases could have been longer. The first phase is like barely an hour (if even it's that long), the second one is only running around and finding bodyparts. The Tribal Phase is only completing Missions, the modern Civ Phase is just surviving until you can fire the big nuke and when it comes to the space age you suddendly meet SPORE in all it's glory. Don't get me wrong, I really love that game. It's awesome but I just think they could have put a little more content and innovation in the first phases. They're over just too quick.

Maeven

I've been playing it... have gotten to the tribal stage and now have 12 people in my tribe.  Sadly though, I wiped the entire village out on a mission to destroy the yellow village (I think).  Now, I have to start all over again making babies.  Gah. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule