M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Started by Lyron, April 15, 2023, 10:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyron

M/M groups are an uncommon sight on E that can be easily missed when they do appear, and in LGBT-friendly games, sometimes a character becomes the lone gay among a sea of straights and lesbians and their questionable fluids, whether obscured to lurkers or struck by bad luck, especially if the player isn't as well connected in the group scene.

This is a registry for M/M players who are willing to be PMed when an M/M group is starting and/or when a group has an active M/M presence, in an attempt to help address the above tragedies. It isn't restricted to lords. All of E's members who enjoy only sausages in their pairings/erotic scenes are welcome to sign up.

Aside from becoming an honorary member of the list, this registry is for your use if...

• ...you are an M/M GM who is wondering what game concepts might get nibbles, or who wants more members for their game.
  • ...are a GM of an M/M-friendly game that has at least one active M/M character. You are looking for more members or you would like to try and make an M/M player less lonely.
  • ...you are an M/M player looking for a friend to join a group with, or you've already joined a group and are looking for someone who can maybe give your character company during those cold nights in the tent/dorm room/what have you.
If you are a GM wanting an M/M game, consider making the interest check first. Having a solid idea shows people that you are serious about running it, and it's easier to generate buzz with something concrete.

And as always with E, O/Os can go a long way in communicating preferences, especially compared to a table. Each name on the list will link to that user's profile. Consider taking a peek before PMing someone. If you don't have O/Os, or you don't have them in your signature, you might find it to be a huge benefit to you, not just for the registry, but in general.

The Form

Please keep answers simple. The goal is to compile a generalized registry that's easy for a GM (or a player looking for a buddy) to navigate as a starting point. Let your O/Os speak for your specific tastes and nuances, or if you're looking to scratch a particular itch, creating a thread for it would be a much better, and more straightforward, avenue for you.

M/M Only or M/M Active: Do you want to be PMed about M/M-only games, diverse groups that already have active M/M characters, or both?
Group Size: What size can you handle? "Small" = 2-6 players. "Big" = more than 6 players. For the sake of simplicity, and because E's groups tend to be one or the other, "small", "big", or "any" are your options, you size queens, you.
Story/Smut Preference: Story focus, smut heavy, or no preference
System or Freeform: Do you want to be PMed about system games, freeform games, or both? If you like systems, consider listing those that interest you.
Genres: Which genres are you comfortable receiving a PM about?

[b]M/M Only or M/M Active:[/b] Do you want to be PMed about M/M-only games, diverse groups that already have active M/M characters, or both?
[b]Group Size:[/b] What size can you handle? "Small" = 2-6 players. "Big" = more than 6 players. For the sake of simplicity, and because E's groups tend to be one or the other, "small", "big", or "any" are your options, you size queens, you.
[b]Story/Smut Preference:[/b] Story focus, smut heavy, or no preference
[b]System or Freeform Preference:[/b] Do you want to be PMed about system games, freeform games, or both? If you like systems, consider listing those that interest you.
[b]Genres:[/b] Which genres are you comfortable receiving a PM about?

The Registry

Name  |  M/M Only or M/M Active  |  Group Size  |  Story/Smut Preference  |  System or Freeform Preference  |  Genres

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Lyron  |  Both  |  Any  |  Story focus  |  Both; systems: D&D 5e, Pathfinder 2e, OVA 2e, custom, open  |  Slice of Life, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Survival, open

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Xurtan  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Both  |  Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Survival, open

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Bargeist  |  Both  |  Small  |  No preference  |  Freeform preferred; D&D 5e only  |  Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror, Survival

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Intimate Ink  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Both; systems: homebrew/E-custom, World of Darkness, Chronicles of Darkness/nWOD, Tales from the Loop (aged appropriately), Ten Candles  |  Any. Favorites: Slice of Life, Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Adventure, Horror

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Fredasce  |  Both  |  Small  |  No preference  |  Both; systems: D&D, Pathfinder, FATE, World of Darkness, PbtA  |  Any. Favorites: Fantasy, Suspense, Action

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Drowned Vandal  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Freeform preferred; won't roll dice  |  Any. Favorites: Horror, Urban Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Mystery

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Lovely Complex  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Freeform  |  Modern, Slice of Life, Supernatural, Fantasy, Medieval, Apocalyptic

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Ryven  |  Both  |  Small  |  No preference  |  Freeform or simple systems  |  Any

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Esoterica  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Freeform  |  Fantasy, Supernatural, Slice of Life, Science Fiction

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Ella  |  Both  |  Any  |  No preference  |  Freeform or simple, minimal-rolling systems  |  Fantasy, Supernatural, Slice of Life, Horror, Survival, Science Fiction

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
gamercub  |  Both  |  Small  |  No preference  |  Both; systems: D&D 5e, Pathfinder 1e or 2e, WOD, Savage Worlds, open to others  |  Fantasy, Horror, Survival, Supernatural, Modern, open to others but realistic slice of life

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 
Unholy  |  M/M Only  |  Any  |  No preference  |  System only: D&D 2.0 (Planescape or Ravenloft only), D&D 3.0/3.5 (Planescape only), Pathfinder 1e or 2e, World of Darkness (but nothing from Chronicles of Darkness), Fabula Ultima, 13th Age, Scum & Villainy, Blades in the Dark, homebrewed/unique systems, possibly others if within budget/genre preference  |  Any. Favorites: Supernatural, Horror, or extra weird fantasy settings

| 
  | 
  | 
  | 
  | 

Thanks to Intimate Ink for the idea!

For posterity/continuity
I don't know if this is the best board, but it's certainly a board, so here we are! ;D

Honestly, this topic spawns from a conversation with others. Compared to games of other makeups, M/M groups are a rarity. M/M players no doubt exist within the group space, but I'm curious how much demand/interest there is in M/M-exclusive groups that also have a strong story component. The hope is that, even if it doesn't spawn a game or two immediately, it can inform Game Monsters such as myself who might like to pitch such a group but would like to know where creative scheming is best directed.

So! Any nibbles on such a venture? What kinda genres suit your fancy? Are there ideas or character concepts you've had a particular hankering for? Are you a system gamer? If so, are there systems you prefer or are open to trying?

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

queenkam234

Can't say that I have an idea off the top of my head, but I would be interested in such a group!

Hephaestus

I am interested and I am a system gamer. I will play freeform but it strong preference for system. It gives you the feeling of accomplishment that I find lacking in free form games. I would love m/m exclusive storyline cause usually i have to roleplay a different gender or a different orientation in order to get some action.

There are a good number of things that interest me as far as on and offs so I would prefer that we go with boards where they can pop up if I find something that someone else is interested in and want to share in that.
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

gamercub

M/M, story-driven, system-based game is the Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned. It's hard to find one that actually carries a story without being completely over the top regarding sex.

I love D&D (5e, but also familiar with older versions to an extent), Pathfinder (primarily 1e, though I would love to get to mess with 2e), Savage Worlds, and World of Darkness. The only system I've tried that I didn't care for was Powered By The Apocalypse. At that point, I feel like full on Freeform is just easier.

As far as genres, dark fantasy is probably top of my list. Anything from Dragon Age or Witcher levels all the way to a sort of Dark Souls/Elden Ring/Darkest Dungeon sort of feel. Horror is fun, although that sort of goes hand-in-hand with the first suggestion. And a standard high fantasy or urban fantasy is always a good time as well.

Drowned Vandal

Replying in part to watch this myself as I am also curious.

For my personal piece I am very interested in the idea of a story driven or even story exclusive game like this. I've seen them pop up but tend to miss the window. I think I'd probably lean towards something a bit darker (which surprises no one). My instinct for something story focused is to keep it a bit linear (not the right word but I'm failing to think of it right now) like a dungeon crawl almost. Fantasy or maybe some a bit more grungy instead is also where my mind initially goes. I'd probably prefer it not to be system or if it is system light in a way that rolling isn't necessary. But I wouldn't say a system game would kill my interest completely if the prompt was good (Savage worlds, pathfinder 1 + 2, D&D 3.5 + 5).

Honestly something post apocalyptic could be fun and not something I see often on site.

Lyron

Quote from: Hephaestus on April 26, 2023, 01:47:21 PM
   I am interested and I am a system gamer.

What system games do you like?

Quote from: gamercub on April 30, 2023, 10:48:00 AM
M/M, story-driven, system-based game is the Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned.

I feel the same way, honestly. There are merits to the participants having full control over a story and how it plays out, but chance is an entertaining influence.

Are there any published campaigns for either 5e or PF2e that would interest you for a play-by-post?

Quote from: Drowned Vandal on April 30, 2023, 11:31:53 AM
Honestly something post apocalyptic could be fun and not something I see often on site.

True! It would be cool to see more of these pop up.

As far as freeform, I like the system-esque elements you and Ink have used in your character sheets.

And speaking of Vandal's game, it's still in its recruitment phase. All sexualities are welcome, but the five characters that have been published at the time of this post are some degree of M/M-eligible, so it's gained a fair bit of attention from that base. If anyone might be interested.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Xurtan

I certainly enjoy, maybe even prefer, M/M group games. There's a lot of story content to play with and explore, and something about the interactions and general dynamics tends to be more satisfying to me. I'm currently in Vandal's game so probably don't have time to run something, but I've been tinkering with the idea of eventually doing a (mostly) systemless Ptolus. Let people explore the city and the myriad factions, dungeons, cults, and magics therein. Dark fantasy is just <3 

Esoterica

I do not currently have time or energy or ideas, but I do run games from time to time, and I have considered the same issue. The M/M selection of group games is almost nonexistent. I will keep an eye out, but for the time being I can do little else other than state I might make a come back here because my mother is really sick and processing that has been, hard. So I will watch this.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Ryven

I wish I could join such a game without being overwhelmed.  Why am I unable to keep up? Ugh.  But for real though, the lack of m/m group games is something I've noted for a long time.  Good luck to you guys if you can get one off the ground.

Intimate Ink

I think there's definitely the potential for a strong male/male group game showing. There certainly has been in the past.

As this thread sort of demonstrates, though, male/male writers don't always have their attention directed to group game forums: note how this post is three weeks old, and still picking up new eyes. So, I think it's about catching enough people looking at the right time. Obviously, there is a needed intersection of male/male writers noticing, male/male writers having interest in the subject, and male/male writers having availability at the time. That can be the tricky thing to line up. Not that every game has to be a bigger game, but a higher start number means that the game can deal with attrition and people having a busy patch a lot better.

I'd wonder if it could be of benefit to organize a list of people who consent to being PMed if a male/male group game starts? That way they are more likely to notice an opportunity (and hopefully take advantage of it,) when one comes up? There could potentially even be a spot for people to indicate if they want to be contacted if there's one that has considerable m/m writers in it, but not exclusive to m/m writers, like the one mentioned earlier in this thread? Another thought would be for people who are interested in joining a group game that isn't catered to m/m writers, but would prefer to have another m/m writer there to join with. (I know I've sometimes been hesitant to join group games that I'm interested in if I am concerned it will become relationship-heavy/erotica in content, and my character concept would be the only m/m one there.)

Just some thoughts,

Iink

gamercub

Quote from: Lyron on May 01, 2023, 11:55:47 AM
I feel the same way, honestly. There are merits to the participants having full control over a story and how it plays out, but chance is an entertaining influence.

Are there any published campaigns for either 5e or PF2e that would interest you for a play-by-post?

I'm not terribly familiar with most of the published campaigns in either system, myself. I tend to run homebrew adventures in published settings when I'm DMing, and my friends either do the same, or have dabbled in a couple of published stories. Just about any of them could be fun though.

Esoterica

I think in the LGBT section, I could do what the Intimate Ink Oracle suggested and put a list of people who are interested in M/M groups and willing to be contacted when one is running. Eventually I can see myself putting something together but these things usually take me a long time, at least a month to six months. And as I mentioned, now is not the best of times, but this could get a way to check for interest in the future.

Esoterica

Oh ok, an Oracle told me that there is a list for M/M writers. We should link it here for reference for those who might be interested in a group game.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=278129.0

Ryven

I would consider it if it were small.  Like 6-8 characters max.

Xurtan

I might not always have the time but I think Ink is right in that a 'PM me' list is a good idea. Consider me on it. I'm always on the lookout for M/M group games.

Intimate Ink

Yes. I was testing interest on forming a separate list (or sub-list) of people who wanted a GM to reach out to them if they were organizing an M/M group game.

While the m/m writer list is an incredibly useful tool, it doesn't detail which writers like group games, nor is it consenting to an otherwise 'cold-call' pm saying 'hey, there's something happening now that you said you wanted to be notified about'.

Lyron

A few days late, but great idea, Ink!

Would this board be the better place or the LGBT one? I'm thinking ones who are interested in groups would be more likely to look here, but it's also possible for it to become buried as more ads are published.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Ryven

If someone is willing to bump it every month, I don't see a problem.

Lyron

True, lol.

I'll put something together tomorrow or Saturday, and will let everyone know when it's ready for signups.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Esoterica

Ok let me rephrase my post from earlier. I am confused about the lists, and how they are supposed to be used, and how they cannot be used. Why there needs to be two lists, and how the other list will be different from the one. IF it could be clarified some how, perhaps in the description of the list, that might be helpful

Xurtan

Quote from: Esoterica on May 11, 2023, 07:07:38 PM
Ok let me rephrase my post from earlier. I am confused about the lists, and how they are supposed to be used, and how they cannot be used. Why there needs to be two lists, and how the other list will be different from the one.

The first list is just a list of names of people that write M/M period, especially in regards to solo games--it's not about consenting to being cold-called, nor does it have any inherent relevance to group games. This one is specifically for M/M group games, and people that have a desire to be PM'd/reached out to when one is put together.

Esoterica

Ok I think I get it now. And when I pmmed people on the other M/M list, the general one, I always made sure Ons and Offs read, were compatible and at least some interests like genres or something lined up, and assumed if people pmmed me that they should be as well. Should there be something in the new list perhaps listing genres people like to play? Or should it be more blanket? I dont know just throwing out ideas on how we could do this is all. Also Ons and Offs should be listed on the new list so people can actually not pm a sci fi nut for a supe game or something like that

Lyron

What you said are good points, Esoterica. :-)

This thread is now a registry! The first post has been updated to contain the list itself, as well as the form for signing up.

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.

Xurtan

M/M Only or M/M Active: Both
Group Size: Any
Story/Smut Preference: No preference
System or Freeform: Both
Genres: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Survival, open

Lyron