User Location on the Site

Started by Kitteredge, March 26, 2019, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitteredge

One cool feature of the sight is the ability to see who is in a thread at any given time.

Curious... If I have multiple threads open in various tabs, or even my phone and computer at once, does it only record my whereabouts as my last active movement?

It also seems to time out after a while. Say, if someone walks away from their computer without logging off, they register as 'present' on the thread but then wink out at some point. Is that right? Or will they be present there until they return?

Ariel

You are shown to be viewing the last thread that you were active in, down to the last second. So even if you had three Elliquiy tabs open, you would only be shown as active in the last thread you opened, regardless of which one you’re viewing. You are shown to be viewing that thread until you dip down below the list of active users that is displayed on the front page, and then you’re considered offline and are no longer shown in that thread until you refresh the page, even if you are still technically viewing the page. Make sense?
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Vekseid

The session implementation for SMF is pretty convoluted and sometimes gets confused, but the above is the case 99,999 times out of 100,000.

Kitteredge

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight and explanation!

Nymphadora

This is very interesting and answers my own similar question that I've wondered about for ages.

If I could tag onto this thread with a similar question: What does it mean with it says Unknown Action in the who's online? That was what I always thought would come up when someone was surfing around E with multiple tabs open.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Nymphadora on March 27, 2019, 06:56:33 AM
This is very interesting and answers my own similar question that I've wondered about for ages.

If I could tag onto this thread with a similar question: What does it mean with it says Unknown Action in the who's online? That was what I always thought would come up when someone was surfing around E with multiple tabs open.
I believe it's for when a user is looking at Bookmarks as I've never seen that on the list, or using the O&O matrix feature. This is what I've deduced anyway.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Oniya

Also, if they're in a board that you don't have access to - like the L-Only boards.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ariel

Quote from: Oniya on March 27, 2019, 11:56:35 AM
Also, if they're in a board that you don't have access to - like the L-Only boards.

That usually shows up as Nothing, or nothing you can see...

Not sure what Unknown Action means.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Blythe

From what I remember about SMF, at least 2.0+ versions (which is what E's using at the moment, I think?), 'unknown action' is what displays when there's a modification installed but it's not declaring properly or something like that. Though I may not be remembering that right.

Nymphadora

I've seen Nothing, or nothing you can see...

All this is interesting. Partly because it's soooo unknown to most people, it would seem ;)

Thanks for the answers everyone!  :)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Vekseid

Blythe and Ariel are corrects : )

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23