Climate deniers threaten rape, murder, violence against children

Started by Vekseid, June 28, 2011, 04:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/climate-of-fear-scientists-face-death-threats/2185089.aspx?storypage=0And other general persecution of scientists in general.[/url]

There is no case, in all of history, in which persecuting a society's educators and researchers has led to the betterment of that society. Pol Pot, China's Great Leap Forward, the Nazi purges.

I find this to be horrific and appalling that this is even remotely socially acceptable.

Praxx

Quote"One researcher told of receiving threats of sexual assault and violence against her children after her photograph appeared in a newspaper article promoting a community tree-planting day as a local action to mitigate climate change."

It worries me that people can get so unhinged in their opinions that they threaten CHILDREN.
Threats against adults are bad enough, but against children makes me shudder.

Sometimes I can't believe the world we live in.
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.

O/O
<3

Xenophile

Seems like the use of threats and fear is a tool to ensure that decisions some people don't like won't be pursued.

Yep. Sounds like terrorism to me. Damn shame that scientists, of all groups of people, are threatened to not provoke and bring forth new ideas and suggestions.
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

MasterMischief

When I read the title, I thought, "Yeah, right.  A little less hyperbole please."

OMFG!  WTF! + other expletives

DarklingAlice

This sort of thing is not new, although it is a shame to hear that it has spread to yet another branch of science. My uni went through a vast revamping of security measures for the bio department after threats from both religious organizations and animal rights activists. It seems like any thug with a cause thinks that they have a right to try to use intimidation to get their way.

Fortunately, the worst that usually happens is that we put a few extra security measures in place and go about our research. It's a hassle, but I have never encountered anyone who has actually abandoned their field because of it. Which is good because success would only encourage these people.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

OldSchoolGamer

I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming being nearly the threat it's being made out to be.  But violence or threats of same have no place in science or any other discourse.  Period, full stop.

Here's hoping whoever issued these threats is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Caela

This is ridiculous! I may not agree with what someone thinks but I am not going to threaten violence against them, and certainly not against children. You seriously have to wonder sometimes just what the hell is wrong with people today.

NotoriusBEN

so what is the other side of the debate?

is it really just a bunch of extremist thuggery against scientist trying to figure out the extent of global warming?

ie grimlocks and trogs hating on the enlightened?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 04, 2011, 04:16:50 AM
so what is the other side of the debate?

is it really just a bunch of extremist thuggery against scientist trying to figure out the extent of global warming?

ie grimlocks and trogs hating on the enlightened?

+ vs. ?

(Gore was the first person I thought of for 'global warming advocate', since I can't name any prominent scientists.)

Alsheriam

One of the myriad examples of why I'm constantly pointing out that America has to arrest and sort out the religious extremists and terrorists within its own borders before it's qualified to talk about combating terrorists from without its borders.
A/A

Oniya

Except that the article was from the Canberra Times about scientists in Queensland and New South Wales.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Alsheriam

Quote from: Oniya on July 17, 2011, 02:51:42 AM
Except that the article was from the Canberra Times about scientists in Queensland and New South Wales.

Whoops, my bad. Then again, I've been to Australia and it has its fair share of white supremacists and science skeptics.

What is it with poor white people? :\
A/A

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Alsheriam on July 18, 2011, 03:50:16 AM
Whoops, my bad. Then again, I've been to Australia and it has its fair share of white supremacists and science skeptics.

What is it with poor white people? :\

You think it's fair to lump 'poor white people' together with white supremacists, and science skeptics?

<sarcasm>

Oh my bad, we're talking about Caucasians, so never mind. Doesn't really matter what you say about white people.

</sarcasm>

That said, plenty of sane people both condemn this kind of hateful threat speech, as well as are skeptical of so-called Global Warming/Climate Change.

Oniya

I think the difference between a skeptic and a denier is that the skeptic will say 'Prove it', and maintain their position until you do so.  The denier will say 'You can't prove it', and won't listen if you try.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

Quote from: Oniya on July 20, 2011, 01:16:45 AM
I think the difference between a skeptic and a denier is that the skeptic will say 'Prove it', and maintain their position until you do so.  The denier will say 'You can't prove it', and won't listen if you try.

I can agree with that. I'm slighty skeptic, as in I think Co2 emotions are distracting us from real emitting problems like Sulfur or CFCs, since Co2 can be scrubbed from the air far easier then shit like lead or So2.