Journal of a Poor Culinary Student: Photos

Started by Ryven, March 25, 2011, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryven

While I don't have time to make a post about everything I make both at home and at school, I figured I could snap some quick photos along the way.  I will post them all in this thread, and I may post things culinary and food related that I find interesting.

Porchetta I prepared to be roasted the next day.  It's pork belly stuffed with seared beef liver, fennel seeds, garlic, parsley, and olive oil.

Ryven

I found a recipe for panda bread, and I thought it was the cutest thing to put in your mouth. :-)

Saerrael

Oh my god, that's so cute.. I don't think I could eat it *grins*

Will

Oh wow, that is amazing stuff.  And I, for one, could definitely eat it. XD
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Ryven

Banana Walnut Muffins!  They don't call me the muffin man for nothing. ;D

Jag

Muffins! They look good and that panda bread looks so cute.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Ryven

Just to be clear, I did not actually bake the panda bread.  It was a recipe I found online which I thought was really cute. :-)

Ryven

Captain Maltese

Nice uniform. Stand still, I am going to rip it off you.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Ryven

Quote from: Captain Maltese on April 04, 2011, 01:01:42 PM
Nice uniform. Stand still, I am going to rip it off you.

Be careful.  I have knives. ^-^

Captain Maltese

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Ryven

Quote from: Captain Maltese on April 04, 2011, 01:07:02 PM
Kinky! ;)

You think that's kinky?  Wait until you see what I can do with a whisk. ;)

Captain Maltese

You can make the cream I will be licking off you?

Ryven

Quote from: Captain Maltese on April 04, 2011, 01:30:10 PM
You can make the cream I will be licking off you?

It involves whipping and cream, yes.

Izu

xD Get a room you two! Ry, looking like a pro! Good luck! *hugs*

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Ryven

grdell

"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Jated

don't mean to interrupt, but i like the food you make.  What else have you made?

Ryven

Quote from: Jated on April 28, 2011, 05:33:29 PM
don't mean to interrupt, but i like the food you make.  What else have you made?

You're not interrupting at all.  Thank you.  Hmm, what have I made?  Lots of stuff.  I love baking.  It's really hard for me to list everything.  Cakes, pies, muffins, cupcakes, bread pudding, cheesecake.  I make a lot of baked sweet goods.  I like that.  Hope to have my own bakery someday.  I like doing savory cooking too, but not as much as baking.

Captain Maltese

That's it Ryven, I am kidnapping you and chaining you to my kitchen.

Jated

*tosses a coin and wins!*  awe sorry, Cpt'n  the cook is MINE!!

Captain Maltese

I notice I didn't get to choose coin size..... wanna fight over him instead?

Ryven

Quote from: Captain Maltese on April 29, 2011, 01:19:14 PM
That's it Ryven, I am kidnapping you and chaining you to my kitchen.

Your bed isn't an option? >_>

Autumn52

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Ryven

I think that's a whole different type of cooking! ;D

Ryven

With cinnamon raisin bread from work, I was able to make some raspberry bread pudding.  Simple enough with eggs, half and half, spices, raspberries, raspberry spiced rum, and bread.

Remiel

Ryven, I'm envious of your culinary skills. *mouth waters*

Captain Maltese

Ryven

Autumn52

That bread looks divine Ryven. Will you post a recipe for it? I saw you put some ingredients down but will you post an actually recipe? If you don't have time I understand, but I would love to try and make it. *smiles*

Thanks for showing off the yummies.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Ryven

Quote from: Xandi on May 24, 2011, 06:15:55 AM
That bread looks divine Ryven. Will you post a recipe for it? I saw you put some ingredients down but will you post an actually recipe? If you don't have time I understand, but I would love to try and make it. *smiles*

Thanks for showing off the yummies.

Sure, dear.  The only reason I didn't in the first place is because I sort of just made it impromptu.

Impromptu Raspberry Bread Pudding

1 Loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Bread, cubed into 1" x 1" cubes (if possible) and allowed to dry out overnight
3/4 cup Half & Half
4 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 - 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
3 Tbsp Spiced Rum (I used a homemade raspberry infused spiced rum made by friends).  Suggestion: Sailor Jerry's
Pumpkin Pie Spice, couple of dashes or so.  Suggestion: Penzey's
1/2 stick of butter, softened
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of oats

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place cubed bread in very large bowl.  Sprinkle sugar over the bread and add raspberries.

In a medium bowl, place half and half and eggs and whisk until uniformly combined throughout.  Mix in rum and spices, whisk uniformly.

Pour egg and half and half mixture over the bread and stir thoroughly to coat all bread evenly.  Pour into baking dish and gently press in with a spoon.  Don't smash it to bits, but compact it just enough so the bread can soak up the liquid.  Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes and allow to soak.

While that is soaking, place brown sugar, oats, and butter in a small bowl and mash together until mixed.  Crumble over the bread and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.  Serve hot or cold.

Autumn52

Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it. I will buy all the ingredients and try it out. I'll let you know how it comes out. Yay I can't wait.

Thanks again.

Hugs

Ryven

You're welcome!  I hope you like it as much as I do. ;D

Ryven

Autumn52

I haven't used Leeks in a long time. Do they kinda have a slight onion taste? If so how many did you use for the soup? and how many Potatos? I have a good potato soup recipe they might be good in.

Congrats Chef Ryven. I think I am just going to start calling you Chef. *smiles*

Ryven

3 Leeks, but only the white and light green parts.  About a pound of waxy potatoes (Yukon gold, red, or white.  I'm thinking Russet potatoes would give it a smoother texture after pureeing).

Leeks have a milder onion flavor than an actual onion.  I also used a half an onion as well.  I sweat the diced onion in some bacon fat then added garlic.  Cooked for about a minute then added the leeks and let them sweat on low heat with a lid on for another couple of minutes.  Added the cubed potatoes and let them cook for a minute before adding chicken stock and water until it just covered the vegetables.  Add bay leaves and let simmer for about 30 min.  Puree after that, added a little half & half though cream would work (h&h was all I had).  Seasoned it with salt and pepper.  Didn't quite taste right yet, so I added a squeeze of half a lemon for acid, and it sharpened it right up.

Autumn52

That sounds amazing. So you cooked the potatos in the chicken stock which was the base for the soup? That sounds really good. I usually don't puree my pototo soup since I like the added texture that it has. But the bacon grease and everything sounds really good. I also had never thought to add garlic. I normally add salt pepper and celery salt, but my soup is a milk/half and half based soup using a rue to thicken it. I think I will combine the two recipes and see what I get. Thanks for the recipe and the great ideas.

Hugs

Ryven

I've come to love more creamy textured soups, at least with this one.  There are some that I enjoy the texture with such as Minestrone or Provencal, but I like a smoother texture with this soup.

There are several ways to thicken.  Pureeing is just one of them.  Adding cream is another, and a roux is the most common because it has the most thickening power with the least amount of effort or material put in.

I'm going to put some blue cheese on top of my soup and see how that tastes.  I'm betting delicious. :-)  So glad you are going to try it.

*hugs*

Autumn52

I made the soup Ryven and OMG it is so good I am eating it now. It was easy and it taste soooooo good. I love it. I am going to post exactly what I did in my recipe thread if your interested you can check it out. I did not have any bacon so I used butter but I am going to try it with the bacon next time.

Thanks for the tips.

Hugs

Ryven

Where is your recipe thread?  I can't seem to find it.

Ryven

I finally found green tomatoes at the farmer's market, so...I had to make these. Fried Green Tomatoes. ;D  They were AWESOME!  I made a mayonnaise based dipping sauce to go with them with hot sauce and chipotle chili powder, garlic, and salt.  It made for a delicious sandwich.

Ryven

grdell

Quote from: Ryven on June 17, 2011, 07:04:13 PM

Something I found and thought was neat.

Awesomecool!

I also notice that the only blue there is blueberries. I remember reading somewhere that blueberries were the only food that was naturally blue. Is that correct, do you think?
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Ryven

Unless it is done genetically, blue corn exists.

grdell

Quote from: Ryven on June 17, 2011, 07:10:17 PM
Unless it is done genetically, blue corn exists.

Duh. I totally forgot about that. And blue corn tortillas are my favorite, too!

Oniya

Concord grapes are the same sort of bluish-purple that you find in blueberries.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Skye

Quote from: Ryven on March 29, 2011, 10:33:33 PM

I found a recipe for panda bread, and I thought it was the cutest thing to put in your mouth. :-)

D'AWWWWWWWWWWW! <3
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Ryven

Orange scones with orange icing for breakfast!

Ryven

Captain Maltese

Ryven

Oniya

Cookie makes more sense than carefully layered cake-batter.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ryven

It's the same technique used to make these:

Oniya

The technique is far more obvious with the Space Invaders. *nods*

Braioch

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Ryven

StarsAligned

Holy cow. Is that.. a blue potato tart with blue cheese and mushrooms?!

{o/o   intro }   All the lights are on and you are alive, but you can't point the way to your  h e a r t.
{ ideas : a/a }   So sublime when the stars are aligned, but you don't know the greatness you are.

Ryven

Ryven

Angry Birds Cookies.  These look awesome.  I don't know how much the maker is charging for them though.  I can't get their Etsy page to load.

Ryven

Oniya

Duuuuuuuuude....

Part of me thinks that they should be chocolate instead of vanilla. Brownie-flavored, to be precise.

Saerrael

Skye

They make me want to eat frosting ... -_-
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Ryven

Skye

-Whispers- Of course you do. -Winks and slathers some on you-
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Ryven

Braioch

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Ryven

Quote from: Braioch on July 01, 2011, 11:51:47 PM
Ohh!

Rycake!

-noms-

I didn't make them.  I just found the picture and thought it was cool.

Braioch

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Ryven

Ryven

Ryven

Oniya

The nice thing about Sanrio with regards to food-stuff is that all the characters involve very simple shapes.  I'm no pastry-artist, and I could probably make that with nothing more than a shot-glass (to get the circle right)

Ryven

That's the part that worries me.  I'm not a very artistic person though maybe I just need practice.  Back in high school I actually did some decent stuff.  It just took time.  I was actually shown how to make a rose out of marzipan or fondant in class, and I've made lotuses out of fondant before.  In regards to Sanrio, yeah.  Every character is pretty simple.  All you need is a circle to work from really.

Oniya

I personally think there's a big difference between 'food artists' and chefs.  I'd much rather be given a plate of something that tastes good than something that looks like a bit of modern sculpture.  Not to say that presentation isn't important - food should look appealing - but it's not the ultimate goal.

Ryven

Yeah.  I'm not much for going over the top with presentation, but I do like to make things look good.  I don't have a goal to be a food artist, but I do want to learn the basic decorating techniques for pastries.

Ryven

Oniya

Diablerie

Ryven

Oniya

Minus the jelly beans, there's a restaurant called Friendly's that does a rolled ice-cream log like this.  I've never seen it as a baked cake before, though.

Saerrael

Ryven

Quote from: Oniya on September 03, 2011, 10:21:58 PM
Minus the jelly beans, there's a restaurant called Friendly's that does a rolled ice-cream log like this.  I've never seen it as a baked cake before, though.

I love friendly's, but only for their ice cream.  They do not reach as far south as where I am though. :-(

Oniya

I feel your pain - I have a similar relationship with Sonic.

Ryven

I will trade you.  I know of three only a few miles from where I live.

Ryven

Oniya

Not sure I would have the patience. At the very least, I'd need twice the displayed amount of decorating pieces.  Omnomnom...

Ryven

I would totally have the patience.  I had so much fun making garnishes and plating last weekend, so I'm all about pretty food now. ;D

The Golden Touch

-Flails-

I remember my culinary college days... Things like THIS happen:

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Ryven

The Golden Touch

Yessss, the aspic days. -throws up hands- Pretty but a pain to cut all that out and fill in without fracking it up.

Ryven

Quote from: The Golden Touch on September 09, 2011, 12:59:18 PM
Yessss, the aspic days. -throws up hands- Pretty but a pain to cut all that out and fill in without fracking it up.

I'll bet.  Wouldn't they just use gelatin and customized cutters nowadays?

The Golden Touch

It really depends on the kitchen. In class, we were learning to make our own ideas. I did the most in depth work, and took me the longest. But in a normal, non student, kitchen- its unlikely that they'd do something without a stencil. [Most people I've worked with cannot draw.........]

Ryven

I can't draw either, so count me in for a stencil >____>

Ryven

Pecan fudge brownie, fresh marshmallow with orange oil, blood orange sorbet with candied orange slice and chocolate filigree.  I made this in class. :-)

olive

Yummy! Hello long lost friend *rubs the belly* I miss seeing you in the SB.  :-\

Ryven

Marina

Quote from: Ryven on March 29, 2011, 10:33:33 PM

How do you make panda bread!?!?
I must know. My name is Marina, I am new here and learning my way around.
This is an awesome string. I love it.

Oniya

Most 'character breads' are made by creating the character out of ropes of colored dough.  For example, you'd start here with four ropes of dark brown dough.  Two of those, you would then wrap with a layer of uncolored, white dough, and put them next to each other to make the face.  The two others get pinched along the top and arranged on top.  The final layer of green dough has to be kind of gently pressed into place around the ears. 

After baking, when you cut it crosswise, you get the panda pattern, just like you get a spiral pattern when you cut a jelly-roll.

Ryven

Oniya

It also works with making Sculpy beads and those Italian millefiori glass things.  ;D

Ryven

Ryven

Ryven

I would love to learn how to make this kind of stuff.

Oniya

I think for the ones that are 'closed' in the center, you use the wide, flat tip, and go sideways around the base.  Not sure about the open one.  This is from watching way too many 'Extreme Cakes' competitions, though.

Oreo

My mom and sister-in-law used the 1270 type. The rest was just practice.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Ryven

Ryven

In the spirit of Halloween, I found this picture of Coconut Kiwi Panna Cotta ;D

Ryven

Minecraft cake

Also, the cake is not a lie...

Belle33

I'm going to try and forget I ever noticed this blog.  *drools over chocolate cake and kitty donuts*

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Ryven

Ryven

Oniya

The Golden Touch

Gingerbread cookies!! >3 Gifting them to you.

Ryven

Gingerbread men orgy? >_______>

Don't tell me you didn't think that too!!

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

The Golden Touch

You know, I am making more gingerbread men tonight... I will attempt to get very creative with the frosting. Mwahaha...

Ryven

Quote from: The Golden Touch on November 20, 2011, 10:06:23 AM
You know, I am making more gingerbread men tonight... I will attempt to get very creative with the frosting. Mwahaha...

I look forward to seeing your results. ^-^

The Golden Touch

I may or may not have just put a penis on a couple of my gingerbread men. .... Now, to frost them.

Oreo

:o Hope you don't mind me sharing.

Quote"Broquet, a bacon bouquet, which was cooked up by Portland-based industrial designer Sarah Tisdale. Last fall, Tisdale had just fallen for for her next-door neighbor when something brought his spirits down. Tisdale brainstormed an appropriate way to cheer him up. "I wasn't going to get him flowers or anything like that," she remembers, "but I wanted to bring a smile to his face." The two had bonded recently over their love for a winning combination: whiskey and bacon. So Tisdale realized there was really only one option: A bacon bouquet. Her house swirling with smoke, she presented the neighbor with a dozen juicy pork blossoms."

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

The Golden Touch

That bouquet is seriously kind of awesome. And below my own gift! Warning... its a little messed up. I'm probably going to be sent straight to the Underworld for this.

Quote from: The Golden Touch on November 20, 2011, 03:25:39 PM
Said fetish gingerbread men... And women
Sorry if these break your mind.

Ryven

Bwahahahahahhahahhaaha! Omg those are awesome!

The Golden Touch

The messed up part is that I was listening to Christmas music while decorating them. >3

The Dark Raven

The Golden Touch

Check the things that make me feel naughty thread as well. I posted them there. If not, I will try and load them via the wiki.

Ryven

Autumn52

Love it.

I want to do a penis cake actually. I use to do them but it has been a long time.

Ryven

Resistance is futile against THESE cupcakes!!

Ryven

gsptGoddess

So, if I ever need a personal pastry chef, I know who to go to.

That Hello Kitty sushi, and the panda cake and robot cookies... My mind was blown.

Ryven

Pac-man cookies!  More stuff I want to make!

Ryven

Oniya

I could actually do that one.  At least, once I get a grass tip.

Ryven

It's actually pretty simple.  I just thought the pretzel sticks and gold trap were pretty awesome. :D

Oniya

Definitely awesome.  I like the rainbow banding, too - again, simple when you know how, but an amazing effect.

Ryven

I haven't updated my blog in a while.  I've been really slack about it, but I will at least give you guys some pictures of things I have made over the past 6 months in my classes.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I've spoilered them all because I haven't adjusted the size.  I feel if I made them smaller, it wouldn't do them justice. :-)

Autumn52

That all looks amazing. Is that broccoli cheese soup in that one picture? If so, could I have the recipe? That is my favorite soup beside potato.

All your plates look so tight and it all looks so completely wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

Oniya

I am now hungry.

(Which should mean that your presentation is 'doing it right'.)

Ryven

I tried to make pretty food.  I guess I succeeded.  ::)

sava

You make me want to eat. Have you put together any food parties or events? I love to cook but what you do is...Cook! I think I slobbered on my shirt at the sight of that scallop.

Piece!
I write, therefore I am! I am, therefore I write! (It's a chicken and the egg kind of thing)

Ryven

Nadir