Black Crusade (cinematic / mostly freeform) - Recruitment reopened

Started by HairyHeretic, June 05, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

If you decide which character you want to use, we can have them there, just sort of lurking in the background til you're in and settled. Optionally, you get to bump into the others later on.

Does NC suit everyone ok for this? I don't see us initially being beyond that, but we can always move things later if need be.

For those who have already got their characters written up, how would you feel about a Prologue thread? This would be somewhere you can establish backstory, leading up to their capture by the Inquisition.

It will be kept separate from the main game thread, so you can continue to write in it at your leisure.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Terian

Winterborn

Chaos

If there is space for another player... I like the sound of this one, and would like to try it. I think my first game here was one of your 40k games, HairyHeretic, and I loved it though it didn't last all that long.

I've two concepts The primary one is a fallen Sororitas, though that may not fit with there already being one in play - or maybe the two different approaches would be fun to see together! If you don't like her but do have a free space, I'll put together the other idea.

Sister Felicity Corberg is a fallen battle sister, who was seduced by a psychic arch-heretic in custody of the Inquisition into helping him escape. Her year on the run with a Slaaneshi champion twisted her devotion to the corpse emperor into a devotion to him and his God instead, and when the Inquisition caught up, and he died in the fight against her former sisters, she found that she could not repent her sins. Not that it would have saved her, but repentance would have let her die quickly - instead, she was bound over for Inquisitorial interrogation and investigation.

She is confused, and a little lost without a hierarchy above her. She was a young Sister when taken from her Order, and doesn't really know how to function without someone telling her what to do. Part of the fun would be figuring out which other PC to follow, or her trying to work out what Slaanesh wants her to do...

Aspects: Battle Sister - Felicity is a highly trained soldier, skilled at fighting in all the ways a warrior of the Adeptas Sororitas should be, and in those bits of Imperial theology that a Sister needs (mostly a list of who needs to be burnt for the Emperor).

Beloved of Slaanesh - The seed of this was there before her year in the hands of a psychic champion of the god of sensations, but under his guidance it's flowered fully: she enjoys all kinds of sensation, pain and pleasure and pride and debasement are all different flavours of devotion to her god. That was perhaps why she took to the scourge so easily as a Sister, and it makes hurting her meaningfully quite difficult now, though distracting her can be easy.

Fresh-faced - outside of her power armour, she doesn't look like a heretic, or a battle-hardened warrior. She looks like an athletic young woman with a bright and cheerful smile. While she was on the run, this came in handy often enough, though being underestimated isn't always a good thing.

Organised by the Book - her training left her with a keen love of organisation, and a devotion to Slaanesh just means she's making different lists now. She keeps a neat track of everything, and makes careful plans, which may yet serve her well. She doesn't like having to go off-plan, though.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 08, 2013, 02:45:03 PM
Does NC suit everyone ok for this? I don't see us initially being beyond that, but we can always move things later if need be.

I guess it depends on the level of smut we have but even if it is just combat, I think it would be safer to put it in 'extreme'.

Because We. Are. Chaos.

Our armor is impurity. Our method is obscurity. Our strength is ferocity. Our passion is depravity.

Our reward is immortality

I'm usually more at home in NC, too. But, seriously, we are Chaos. You can't be chaos without breaking some eggs. Or, as it were, you know...baby skulls.

At the very least - even if we were the 'good guys' in this universe - we would be wading knee deep in blood and gore, ramming our power fists deep into the bowels of our enemies and then twist them, cackling mad with glee as the entrails of our hated foes spewed all over the floor...and we are not the good guys.

Satan_Klaus

HairyHeretic

That's a fair point, but the majority of the concepts in Extreme tend to focus on the sexual elements of a story.

Yes, we are the forces of Chaos, but where we set the game is also going to be a factor in how we write. Is it going to be that much of a story limitation if you don't describe a torture scene in graphic detail? The 40k novels I've read seem to get the story across nicely without leaving their audience whimpering in a corner :)

I think we need to find out what everyone is comfortable with before pushing the gore level up to 11, you know? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Chaos on June 09, 2013, 07:53:15 AM
If there is space for another player... I like the sound of this one, and would like to try it. I think my first game here was one of your 40k games, HairyHeretic, and I loved it though it didn't last all that long.

I think we can squeeze you in. Once the remaining characters people have been discussing with me are fleshed out, we'll probably be about our limit though.

At least to start with. We'll see how it goes after that.

I've two concepts The primary one is a fallen Sororitas, though that may not fit with there already being one in play - or maybe the two different approaches would be fun to see together! If you don't like her but do have a free space, I'll put together the other idea.

The other one isn't quite in play yet. In addition, it's a rather different concept, so I don't think that'd be a problem.

Sister Felicity Corberg is a fallen battle sister, who was seduced by a psychic arch-heretic in custody of the Inquisition into helping him escape. Her year on the run with a Slaaneshi champion twisted her devotion to the corpse emperor into a devotion to him and his God instead, and when the Inquisition caught up, and he died in the fight against her former sisters, she found that she could not repent her sins. Not that it would have saved her, but repentance would have let her die quickly - instead, she was bound over for Inquisitorial interrogation and investigation.

She is confused, and a little lost without a hierarchy above her. She was a young Sister when taken from her Order, and doesn't really know how to function without someone telling her what to do. Part of the fun would be figuring out which other PC to follow, or her trying to work out what Slaanesh wants her to do...

Aspects: Battle Sister - Felicity is a highly trained soldier, skilled at fighting in all the ways a warrior of the Adeptas Sororitas should be, and in those bits of Imperial theology that a Sister needs (mostly a list of who needs to be burnt for the Emperor).

Beloved of Slaanesh - The seed of this was there before her year in the hands of a psychic champion of the god of sensations, but under his guidance it's flowered fully: she enjoys all kinds of sensation, pain and pleasure and pride and debasement are all different flavours of devotion to her god. That was perhaps why she took to the scourge so easily as a Sister, and it makes hurting her meaningfully quite difficult now, though distracting her can be easy.

Fresh-faced - outside of her power armour, she doesn't look like a heretic, or a battle-hardened warrior. She looks like an athletic young woman with a bright and cheerful smile. While she was on the run, this came in handy often enough, though being underestimated isn't always a good thing.

Organised by the Book - her training left her with a keen love of organisation, and a devotion to Slaanesh just means she's making different lists now. She keeps a neat track of everything, and makes careful plans, which may yet serve her well. She doesn't like having to go off-plan, though.

That seems fine to me. I'll add her to the list.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chaos

Terian

Ehhh, here's the thing.

I don't mind my characters getting roughed up, or roughing up others--killing or being killed in turn, hell, I do some of my best writing in fight scenes, and I don't get too squeamish with the details.

Beyond that though, I generally don't go into more detail then I have to--Hyperia's almost completely non-sexual as a character, and while she can still enjoy people's company, she's not really bound by hormones or any urge to Do Horrible Things--the former because it's largely been replaced with tech to make her a better killing machine, the latter because it's wasteful.  I don't really see her indulging in any "Skulls for the Skull Throne" behaviour as a result of this.  She's working with Chaos because she hates the Imperium, not because she actually expects to gain from it and wants to impress the Gods.

SatanKlaus

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 09, 2013, 08:25:25 AM
That's a fair point, but the majority of the concepts in Extreme tend to focus on the sexual elements of a story.

Yes, we are the forces of Chaos, but where we set the game is also going to be a factor in how we write. Is it going to be that much of a story limitation if you don't describe a torture scene in graphic detail? The 40k novels I've read seem to get the story across nicely without leaving their audience whimpering in a corner :)

I think we need to find out what everyone is comfortable with before pushing the gore level up to 11, you know? :)

I don't want to scare anyone off or gross them out. Like I said, I'm usually more at home in NC myself. Just that 40k tends to be brutal and gory, even if you don't try especially hard to make it so. When they give you armor piercing, exploding rockets as ammunition for your sidearm and a sword that is actually a chainsaw, then you know that things will get messy.

Satan_Klaus

HairyHeretic

OOC and Prologue thread links added to the first post.

OOC thread

Prologue thread

Feel free to use either.

Yes, they're currently in NC, but we can always shift them later if need be.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Terian

Is there any posts coming from you in the prologue?

Also, most of our people are already in, does that mean we'll be starting the main thread soon?

HairyHeretic

The prologue is where you can write backstory of your character .. old scenes, past events, leading up to their capture by the Inquisition.

I put it in so people would have somewhere to write while we were still in the setup phase.

I think we have most people ready to start, so I'll probably open the main story thread in the next couple of hours.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SatanKlaus

Alright. Can I have the following aspects added to my character?

Mandate of Heaven
Salazar carries himself with the casual arrogance of an Imperial noble. Those of the lesser classes - born to a life of servitude to the likes of him – do his bidding without question. It is hard and unnatural for him to treat anyone as an equal, though.

The long-lost heir
There are still some nobles and commoners on Amnarg who, unsatisfied with the current rule, might rush to the banner of the prince in his attempt to take back what is rightfully his. Conversely, those in power on Amnarg will mark him as a priority target as soon as he resurfaces.

Silver tongue
Salazar’s tongue is not only long and split like a snake’s; Lord Slaanesh has also seen it fit to grant it the power of glibness. Compliments, promises, enticing whispers, even outrageous lies; all flow equally easy from his silver tongue. 

Grace
Salazar moves with the fluid ease of his patron god, tumbling over obstacles, anticipating his enemies’ movements and running circles around them. He can neither deal nor take a heavy blow, though.

Ladykiller
Even before he was blessed with the sweet, heady musk of the god of seduction, Salazar was quite the sensation amongst the ladies. Now, it is as hard for them to resist his allure, as it is for him to resist the temptation of a new conquest. 

And, unless there is a specific world that you want me associated with, I will just stick with Amnarg as Salazar's home world and place it in the general region of space that the play takes place in.

HairyHeretic

Updating now.

I have no world in mind, anything in the Calixus sector is fine.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Baalborn87

could you add this to mine as well please.

Idle Hands are the Devils playthings.
Thule, as with most of his kind is subject to an almost compunction to tinker and endlessly improve. As a result should Thule consciously go for more than 3 days without at least dismantling and rebuilding something, he becomes edgy and distracted and even violent. This also has the benefit that Thule is quite adept at "improving" items and equipment for himself and allies (improving the sights on a rifle, changing the power flow of energy weapons to improve damage/shot capacity or servos in power armour to improve agility).

Kevben Battleheart

Name: Helfist (formerly Kryl Aesvel)

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Compressed History: Once Helfist was a member of the Vlka Fenryka, but that was many a years ago and he has long shed those constraining chains. At first he was still a little uncertain with what he was doing when he opened fire upon the very battle-brothers he fought alongside since his time as a bloodclaw, but as he then revoked his oath to Leman Russ and the Emperor and swore fealty to Huron, why he did so became obvious or at least he thought he knew at first; preservation. Fighting for the God-Emperor, there was no doubt that eventually he would have been laid low on some planet by an unknown enemy, or if he was lucky he could maybe be remembered in a saga of his own, but that wasn't what he desired. He wanted to live, to fight foes without worry of being slain himself.

With his other fellow defectors, Kryl gladly served alongside Huron for several decades upon the Wolf of Fenris before his mind began to come up with traitorous thoughts towards Huron. Why was he, a former son of Russ, serving someone as cowardly as Huron, who merely struck foes that could hardly defend themselves? Where was the sport in that? Slow, over the course of another decade, Kryl’s desires began to change from simple preservation into the desire to hunt and fight deadly foes. Reflecting now, he realized that he did a complete turnaround, but it didn't truly matter why it was that he did so. Defecting from Huron this time, Kryl managed to ‘convince’ a Rogue Trader to transport him to a far corner of the Imperium, with a lie about being able to protect him should Huron Blackheart decide to attack the mortal. This led to his eventual arrival of the Calix sector.

Once there he began to travel around the sector, seeking out foes of renown and planets deemed deadly, such as Fedrid or Dusk. He sought out ever increasingly dangerous creatures and foes to perfect his own fighting techniques when not lending his blade to a rising cult or warband, also changing his name to Helfist on account for how he liked to dispatch his foe with his own fists (gauntlets, power fists, etc,). It was during such a time, when a cult dedicated to the worship of Tzeentch, recruited him and others to aid in initializing a plot in the name of their god and they needed a little more muscle to get the job done. They landed upon Iocanthos, the reason why not mattering to him as he wanted merely to test his strength against whatever champion the foe would posses, but they instead found more than they bargained for. Though they had aimed to take down the home of the Opening Eye and take care of a few Sisters of Battle, The Abbey of the Dawn.

Arriving at the location, the followers of Tzeentch attacked and at the opening stages it would have seemed that they would easily win the fight, but the Sisters from the Order of the Ebon Chalice proved to be a tougher lot than first anticipated. They managed to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive, in the from of Seth the Voice's army. Though ill equipped, Seth's impassioned speech's was all they needed to fight. Now besieged on two sides, the Chaos warband was doomed to being wiped out, but as the final clash came, Helfist was by the Warband's leader who merely said "All according to plan." before charging forth to meet his own end. Helfist found this odd, but then those aligned with Tzeentch were an odd bunch, and he himself strode into the fight only to be knocked out near the end of the fight by a terrible wound, even by a corrupted marines standard.

Unknown to him, his body was discovered to be still breathing, and in a rare moment, Palatine Rhiannon turned Helfist over to the Inquisition so that he may confess and then pay for the crimes he committed.

Aspects:

Son of Russ: Though he no longer serves Russ, genetically speaking he is still a Son of Russ. As such, his senses are sharper than most and he can be prone to bestial rages, possibly rivaling the fury of a Khorn Bezerker.

Defector: Helfist is about as loyal as a Dark Elder on a good day. He will willingly serve alongside anyone so long as he get's to face increasingly challenging and deadly opponents. However, should he feel that he is dealing with a subpar opponent, then he will not hesitate to leave his current master and join a new Warband.

Up Close and Personal: Even before he became a Red Corsair, Helfist was extremely proficient in melee combat and he feels that those utilize only ranged combat are weaklings, though he does understand their importance in certain circumstances. As such, Helfist possess no ranged weapons of his own and only uses close combat, and especially fist based weapons (power fists, chain fists, etc,).

Cover is for Cowards: When it comes to a fight Helfist prefers to be the first one in and scorns those who hides in cover, seeing it as an act of cowardice. He will gladly charge through any weapons fire to close with his foe, believing that his armor will see him through.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Terian

Quote from: Baalborn87 on June 09, 2013, 02:24:25 PM
could you add this to mine as well please.

Idle Hands are the Devils playthings.
Thule, as with most of his kind is subject to an almost compunction to tinker and endlessly improve. As a result should Thule consciously go for more than 3 days without at least dismantling and rebuilding something, he becomes edgy and distracted and even violent. This also has the benefit that Thule is quite adept at "improving" items and equipment for himself and allies (improving the sights on a rifle, changing the power flow of energy weapons to improve damage/shot capacity or servos in power armour to improve agility).

You need to make Terminator Armour for me someday :(

Or at least mod something we capture so I can use it.

Baalborn87

Quote from: Terian on June 09, 2013, 03:03:04 PM
You need to make Terminator Armour for me someday :(

Or at least mod something we capture so I can use it.

As the Dark Gods will it.

LordMing

I am very interested.  I am considering a fallen sister of battle if that's okay, just having trouble writing her story is all.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Terian

Quote from: LordMing on June 09, 2013, 04:21:07 PM
I am very interested.  I am considering a fallen sister of battle if that's okay, just having trouble writing her story is all.

Think we've got a bunch of those so far :(

Anyway, Hyperia's pretty destructive by nature, but I don't see her fitting in with any of the Chaos Gods in particular--she's pretty cleanly and not too interested in "Suffering makes you strong and cool!"  So Nurgle's no good.  She's killy like you wouldn't believe, but she doesn't believe in charging in head first and painting the walls with blood when she can just walk in with an autocannon and blow everything up, so Khorne isn't really likely either.  She's largely clueless about "Sensation" beyond the idea of a job well done (And that whole Machine Trait gets in the way of other approaches :P), so Slaanesh is no good, and she's completely incapable of Psychic Powers, and lacks the temperament to indulge in other sorceries

She's a Heretic mostly because her existence was rejected by the Imperium, and she'd really rather not submit to death.  Her advancement would likely be more on the lines of "Get better hardware" over more eldritch abilities.  Of course, there's always the chance of this changing, but she wouldn't be the one to Approach any given Chaos God either.

Ability wise...  She's reasonably capable of technological maintenence, but basically, she was designed as a prospective replacement to Astartes--Superhuman strength and durability, impressive self-repair, and solid equipment.  Less esoteric stuff like "Eat the Brains" and "Spit out Acid" of cours, but that's made up for with cybernetics.

Anyway!  Looking forward to the start of play~~

HairyHeretic

Main game thread is now up, and first post updated with link

Main game thread

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

I think I'm about at the limit of what I can handle right now LordMing. I have two other people are (I believe) working on characters, in addition to the 6 or 7 already complete.

You're welcome to keep an eye on the story threads, and if anyone announces they want to drop out, well, there's plenty of statis chambers can be popped open :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LuciusLeche

I'll take that back burner position, Hairy. I'm about to pack up my desktop in a day or so for my move and depending on when I can get it all set up again it'll be a day or three till I can post anything. For the Record, I think I'll go with that Excommunicated Sister I had first posted about since it didn't get immediately turned down. Hopefully that doesn't step on the toes of The other Sister that posted a write-up before I got the chance too? I am thinking of going the Psyker route since it fits pretty well and the group seems to need one. (for all your Battle hardened power channeling goodness in a counts-as-chaos-space-marine-sorcerer package)
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

HairyHeretic

That sounds good. Her psychic powers were first thought to be Emperor sent miracles, but when it was discovered she was actually a witch, she gets excommunicated? Is that the sort of idea you're going with?

Cattle die, kinsmen die