News:

Main Menu

Linux

Started by strangely made, January 07, 2008, 06:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangely made

I have a problem, a problem that only the wonderful people on Elliquiy can help with.

Seriously thinking about going over to Linux on the PC's, but having a look around the web for info I just can't make any headway on deciding which version is right for me. Or even if I would actually be able to use it.

All the info I can find is written for computer geeks (No offence to computers out there) , and is it bit to specific for me to understand.

So in plain English.....Is Linux easy to use, does it have pretty screens and clicky bits, does it use a lot of memory like Windows and is it easy to use ?

Mia

I use Ubuntu at home... although I wasn't the one that installed it, but it seemed easy enough to install :)

From an amateur standpoint I think it is easy to use... as long as I don't need to add things or when I find files I can play or similar. Then I'm in the dark and I have to shout at my Helpdesk :)

It is very pretty... all pink :)
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Velph

It's Dutch better/easy than English? no, these were two different language, way to comunicate through people. The same thing may apply to OS, they were used to comunicate/repuire some duties to a tool (the pc).
Switch from your native language lead *ever* some difficulties, no matter which one you are going to learn.
I switch to linux from win for two main reason:1. like to choice 2 trustd computing (chinese law invading the west).
For me wasn't much hard the switch...but consider I had experience with many previous SO ( MS-BASIC and DR-DOS include).
Ubuntu it's the must choice if you are absolutely new to linux...then, dare! mandriva, suse, sabayon...linux distro came in so much dialect (hope it's say so) you can't imagine.
if you get problem all you need is just google for solution, one more common is make work some odd hardware made to works only through dll stuff (ie. winmodems).
last: do not use ati cards: their driver for linux were really sh- (opt for nvidia instead)
my ON/OFFs
My english is not that good, but I do take the challenge to improve it: fell free to help me point all my errors.
You can't choose do not make mistake, but you can put the will to recover from them.

Hannibal

I installed Ubuntu on a laptop I picked up cheaply from work. My research suggested it was the most user-friendly version and that has proved to be true. Everything I have needed to do can be done with menus and windows. Not that I need to do much with it as it is not my primary computer. The best thing is that you can test whether it will work with the install CD. It can boot from CD so you don't have to install it to a hard drive first to test. Then you can see for yourself if it will meet your needs :)
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

Sakujo

My issue with Linux is that any system I've used has always lacked programs. Sure, Linux can now run some of the newer games, but movie, graphics, and other editor software just didn't cut ti for me on Linux.
Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 16, 2007, 07:52:07 pm
"Intelligence reports are useful only to the intelligent."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

strangely made

Went onto the Ubuntu  site today and ordered the install disk.
It looks an easy one to use, the screens are nice and best of all it comes with firefox which is what I use now and I much prefer to to IE.

I'll let you all know how it's turns out, as long as I don't have to download all my music again I'll be happy.

Stevej101

I have 3 Linux systems at home, working on my LPI certificate, Red Hat is the most widely used in business and has the best tools.

For some one new I would say mandriva (mandrake) or umbuntu.

Mandrake has a little more functionality, umbuntu does not have a root account which can make it more secure.

All three came with Firefox and if you have to have windoze functionality there is always a software package called wine that will run about 75% with no problem, 95% with some tweaking which can be found at the forums.

PM me if you have any specfic questions, I'm not a guru (yet) but I know a lot of the resources.
"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Kradorex Xeron

I've used many distros and overall, some are better for desktops, others, serving, others low-end systems (Think: 486es/Pentium 1s turned into routers), others embedded systems (think of those boxes with blinking lights)

Generally the best way to determine is start somewhere and see which one serves you best.
--Kradorex Xeron

ZK

Coolest thing I found Yellow Dog Linux for? Installing it on my PS3 and playing SNES games on it. Booyah. ^.^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Keiro

The best suggestion is to start with Ubuntu.

Highest usability for new people.

And as you get more experience, check out the other distros.
Thoughts of a Deaf SysAdmin

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to...

Want to see my O/Os? Check My Roleplay Preferences. :3

strangely made

Got the Ubuntu disk through the post yesterday, so once I get a chance I'm going to try it out a see if it's right for me, and more importantly see if it works with my new rendering package.

Of course I'll have to get a new media player but replacing Windows Media won't be any problem as long as I can get my collection to transfer over to the new one OK.

Keiro

That's not hard...but the best suggestion when transferring your media collection, if they're in .wma, you'd best transcode it to mp3. Trying to do it in Linux will drive you nuts.

Another thing...DISABLE copy-right protection when transcoding.

And please do use the LiveCD first. That should give you the best idea of whether or not the Ubuntu distro is right for you.

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to...

Lovelynice

I've been using Ubuntu since a few months ago. I found it easy to download all the software that I needed, or to find it elsewhere.

I watch movies and TV shows on my PC everyday, but I don't play games on it.

Just wish that I had changed earlier, because Windows caused me so many problems.
Bisexual
Submissive (very rare switch)

Ons & Offs

Lovelynice's Stories

Keiro

Yes it is, Lovely.

Though I'm using Windows right now. >_>

Universities for the win.