What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Get the points card. Rush 'N Attack and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile are worth the money.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on April 10, 2011, 12:51:20 AM
Get the points card. Rush 'N Attack and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile are worth the money.

Well see, here's the thing..if I get the points card, it would be a $50 one because I would buy Tales of Vesperia with it..which would leave $20 left.

Wolfy

Ok, played through Dead Space: Severed, and my thoughts..first, the non spoileriffic ones:

I was a bit disappointed that they simply reused levels from the Multiplayer and the first level of Dead Space 2 (Only in reverse, I guess.) with few original levels. :/ I mean come on, that's just lazy..it's a sprawling space station for god's sake, you can set it somewhere original.

Second:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Since when can the Church of Unitology use Psychic powers and want to birth a special baby? WTF. O-o

Inkidu

I feel I need to make an addendum to something I might have said regarding the 2011 gaming year.
It'll be awesome in May onward!

Seriously, there is nothing to play. I'm going to end up with four Dragon Age II playthroughs. Seriously, I have a rogue, a warrior, and a mage. The only concept I could imagine wanting to try is a range rogue. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Koren

Right now I have sitting next to my playstation (game i am in the middle of a playthrough of)

Tomb Raider (the original ps1 version)                             < Very happily I rediscovered my old ps1 games
Croc Legend of the Gobbos (the original ps1 version)      < and have been playing them through again.
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Assassin creed Brotherhood
Metal Gear Solid 4 (no kills, no alerts playthrough)

dready

Quote from: Inkidu on April 10, 2011, 05:41:21 PMThe only concept I could imagine wanting to try is a range rogue. 

It's not a good a concept as you think. There's far too many areas in DAII that you get ambushed as a ranged rogue and the entire party wipes because of it. Then again I was trying for a sniper rogue, not a 'shoot as much as you can' rogue.

Hemingway

I .. give up on Baldur's Gate. I'm ... probably like half an hour from the end, but I just can't go on. I'm right at the end, and they throw a maze at me? I ... I don't understand! Why would they do such a thing? Were they running out of ideas on how to make the game last just a little bit longer? I mean, tight quarters like that are easily the worst part of the game to begin with, due to the atrocious pathfinding. Come on! Won't you let it end already, so I can start playing Baldur's Gate 2?

Oniya

Have you tried left-handing it?  If it's a simply-connected maze (no loops) then that's guaranteed to work.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

The maze at the end of BG frustrated me as well. I see why they did it but it certainly got annoying.

Currently playing modded Shogun 2. Like most Total War games it requires mods to become the game it should have been but at least unlike Empire and to an extent Napoleon it's actually playable as Vanilla. The intention in this game was to return to basics, cutting out much of the fluff (such as massive variety in units) and instead focusing on the core basics... enemy AI both on the campaign map and the battle map. It's not a total success... the campaign AI is still pretty idiotic at times and some features of the battle map needed modding (arrows were outrageously effective, units broke too quickly, cavalry were basically useless, everything moved at warp speed) but for the first time ever I saw a vanilla Total War AI actually do a pretty successful flanking manoeuvre.

I'm not quite sure how much re-playability it will have considering that the only real change between factions is your starting position but the Christian/Shinto choice, RP elements and a very wide tech tree mean it'll get a few more campaigns out of me while hoping the modders can do their usual work (they made Empire a great game... and if they can do that to Empire with the lack of tools they had they can do it anything). 

Hemingway

Quote from: Oniya on April 11, 2011, 04:51:05 PM
Have you tried left-handing it?  If it's a simply-connected maze (no loops) then that's guaranteed to work.

Well, they call it a maze, but it's more like one long corridor that just winds back and forth about half a gazillion times. I had to finish it, though, so ... I gave my main character boots of speed, ran around until I found the exit without worrying about traps or anything like that, then made the rest of my party follow. I didn't even have to bring them all the way there, just close enough that I could venture forth!

Anyway. It's over now. I beat the game, after managing to trick the final boss. And that was on the easiest difficulty. I swear, these games will chew you up and spit you out.

consortium11

Quote from: Hemingway on April 11, 2011, 05:28:34 PM
Well, they call it a maze, but it's more like one long corridor that just winds back and forth about half a gazillion times. I had to finish it, though, so ... I gave my main character boots of speed, ran around until I found the exit without worrying about traps or anything like that, then made the rest of my party follow. I didn't even have to bring them all the way there, just close enough that I could venture forth!

Anyway. It's over now. I beat the game, after managing to trick the final boss. And that was on the easiest difficulty. I swear, these games will chew you up and spit you out.

BG had a habit of killing of your main character with little warning. I still remember by very first character, an Elf rogue who ended up with about 3 hitpoints. Get to the Lonely Inn, talk to the a guy who turns out to be an assassin, he immediately attacks and kills my elf who never really had a chance as the rest of my party was a fair distance away and I seem to recall it being speech bubble text so I had even less warning.

When I first started playing on the higher difficulties the mines got me a bunch of times as well... kept getting swamped by Kobolds.

Hemingway

Yeah, the game does like sending assassins after you early on, before you have any real chance of taking them on.

Spellcasters are a real pain, too. Especially considering a lot of the encounters with them leave you at a disadvantage ( party trapped behind stairs and such ). I found that either I had to disable the mages ( Command was useful for that early on ), or hope to kill them ( or at least take down their mirror images so I could actually hit them and interrupt their spells ) before they could charm my whole party, or something like that. This game has absolutely no trouble handing your enemies the most dangerous and annoying spells in the history of, err, handing people spells.

And then there are enemies like basilisks. Toward the end, I ran blindly into a room that happened to contain two basilisks. Basically before I even knew what they were, my main character was petrified. Oops.

I am so playing a Wild Mage in BG2. I'll have my revenge then. I still remember, last time I played it, having my character challenged to a duel or something. First thing I did was cast disintegrate, got the miscast effect thing, and ... well, I could've exploded, but instead my spell was cast with twice the effect, or some such. A spell that kills you instantly. At double strength. TWICE AS DEAD.

Edit: I am now playing BG2. A superior game in every way. What makes playing BG worth it, though, is that starting at a high level isn't that overwhelming. It was a pain before, as the number of spells and such is vast. Now, I already have a good idea of what spells I like and use.

I am not, however, playing a Wild Mage. I'm playing a - dun dun dun - Bard. Blade, to be precise. I don't remember why, but a friend of mine back in school said I was a bard. Several times, in fact. In a very distinctive way. ( "You're a baRRRRRD. You're a baaaaRRRRRRD." ) I guess I am a bard. A deadly one.

dready

You're the party's favorite bard. Deadly bards do more than annoy, ergo the favorite bard.

Hiding In Emotions

I love my PS3 it's like my baby but I'm currently playing Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption and a bit of Rock Band when I get bored.

Sabby

Wolfy

Well, I'm going take my Wallet out back and shoot it to put it out of it's misery...seriously...

May has several game releases,
June Has both OOT 3D and Duke Nukem Forever.
And July has Catherine, a game that I've been anticipating for a long time.

...Seriously, just kill my wallet. :/

Sabby

I just went through every game on XBLA. Every. Game. Downloaded every one that looked interesting (going by the screen shots). So I have about two dozen demos to try, but... no possible way I can afford more then 2 :/ 3 AT THE MOST. Some of them are 15 dollars... 15 bucks! For an arcade game. Jesus x.x

I might go with Ecco the Dolphin, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, and Banjo Tooie... but its a really tough call to make. Theres so many others I could choose from :/ Limbo, Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light, Zeno Clash, Serious Sam, Prince of Persia... gah, too much to choose from, so little money.

dready

one week and i get to play portal 2.

one week... and i get to own my very first pre ordered game.

one week... and with my luck i'll get motion sickness.

Wolfy

Quote from: dready on April 12, 2011, 02:15:24 AM
one week and i get to play portal 2.

one week... and i get to own my very first pre ordered game.

one week... and with my luck i'll get motion sickness.

If it's not on PC..

Son, I am disappoint. :/

I can't wait for Portal 2 either. as I said, I'm getting it on PC...mostly because I know the modding community will probably have a field day with the Co-op. :D

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on April 12, 2011, 02:53:47 AM
If it's not on PC..

Son, I am disappoint. :/

I can't wait for Portal 2 either. as I said, I'm getting it on PC...mostly because I know the modding community will probably have a field day with the Co-op. :D
I'm getting it for my 360.

i'm mostly looking forward to being able to play the co-op with friends on my birthday. :3

Zombie

I'm not playing much at the moment I was playing Call of Duty on the Wii earlier though. xD but yeah, right now I'm playing Perfect World, a MMO.  I'mma sucker for MMO's c:

dready

Quote from: Zombie on April 12, 2011, 03:22:46 AM
I'm not playing much at the moment I was playing Call of Duty on the Wii earlier though. xD but yeah, right now I'm playing Perfect World, a MMO.  I'mma sucker for MMO's c:
greetings~

so how's call of duty on the wii? haven't heard anything good or bad about it yet. e u e

Sabby

Quote from: dready on April 12, 2011, 03:58:16 AM
greetings~

so how's call of duty on the wii? haven't heard anything good or bad about it yet. e u e

Its pretty solid. Graphics the colour and murkiness of old dish water, but the aiming works well enough. I had fun with it.

Tried a bunch of those demos I downloaded...

Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD. Reminds me a lot of Painkiller. Might get it.

The Warriors: Street Brawl. It was okay, but way too difficult without a friend and it just makes me wanna track down the old game, which is better :/

Shadow Complex. Epic Games usual bland crap, but good production values and it is kind of fun. Love side scrollers.

Rush 'n Attack: Ex-Patriot. I LOVE this one. Think of the original Prince of Persia side scroller, only with a knife and more stealth. And ragdoll. Really nice ragdoll.

Max Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond. Why is Max Hazard always so... flawed? :/ It's a great premise, but the games are infuriatingly cheap. This is like Metal Slug on steroids with Painkiller levels of gore, but they pull the cheapest shit. You can be instakilled almost any time by bombs. I couldn't even finish the fucking demo.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile. Definite buy. Side scrolling beat 'em up with great artwork and effects, fast combat, massive battles and plenty of variety.

LIMBO. Wow o.o that was a depressing but interesting physics tech demo. Nice art style too.

Zombie Apocalypse. Oh for fuck sake, can we have one zombie game that isn't about one liners and 'wacky weapons'. When did the zombie game scene become exclusively a parody? :/ Pisses me off to no end...

Ecco The Dolphin. Finally, I get to play with a control stick. Swimming with keyboard keys doesn't work so well... never got too far on the emulator, but its a pretty unique game.

Super Meat Boy. Fuck. Off.

Prince of Persia. Remake of the old old old one, with more moves. Thats about it. May get it.

Banjo Tooie. Pretty much just a straight port with slightly better graphics. Was pretty awesome on N64, so having a solid frame rate would be great.

Now all I have to try is Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light, Trials HD, Alien Breed 3, and Zeno Clash

Sabby

...oh my God o.o why have I never heard of this game? Just gave Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition a try. Its getting the first purchase, hands down. Its like if Oddworld Inhabitants made Condemned. Yes, its as awesome as that sounds. And it has the voice of Emperor Gruumm from Power Rangers SPD!! =D

Inkidu

I'm playing iphone (ipod touch really) games. Ash is a neat little JRPG that had to be done by Westerners or has a really good translation. It's done by Games as Art. It reminds me a lot of the first Final Fantasy in that you have to read the dialogue to get where to go to next, but if you do you still might not get there.

Lots of other random stuff like all the Doodle God games.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.