D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign (Funeral Games)

Started by ff, November 20, 2010, 02:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ff

I foresee great contests at my funeral games.

- Purported last words of Alexander the Great

In 1371 Dalereckoning ended the long and quite eventful reign of king Azoun IV of Cormyr. He was survived an infant grandson and heir apparent Azoun V, nephew to the late king's daughter, princess Alusair. For all the qualities of the princess once dubbed the 'Mithral Princess' and now the 'Steel Regent', who might've easily been queen had she so deigned, the sudden absence of a reigning king or queen, especially one such as Azoun IV who previously loomed so large, is - time and time again down the ages - a ripe season for all manner of would-be usurpers, invaders, and simple mischief-makers. Several of the Forest Kingdom's most nearly-royal families would no doubt be happy to bear rightful claim by lineage to the throne, likewise more than a few of the many unacknowledged children the oft-philandering Azouv IV begat by consorts other than his own queen. And how could expansive neighbors such as Sembia and Westgate or any self-respecting evil organization such as the Black Brotherhood of the Zhentarim or the Red Wizards of Thay not somehow capitalize on such an opportunity?

This D&D 3.5 campaign will be set in the Forgotten Realms. Starting level is 9th with standard wealth (38,000 gp), and 40 point buy, unless there's a general preference for a different starting level.

Favorite characters you've used before are quite welcome. If you feel newish to 3.5 and would like help with your character sheet, I'm quite happy to give advice on both crunchy (i.e. feat suggestions) and fluffy (i.e. "what's a nomadic desert region of Faerun my character could be from?") things.

Most 1st-party 3.5 material is allowed. I may ask for non-core (i.e. not available SRD or otherwise online) material to be transcribed for (written into the character sheet for self-contained common reference.). It saves more time than it takes in the long run, speeding up my DMing for the sake of your fellow players. (But feel free to hold off on it until you're sure you won't change your mind ad the campaign actually starts.)

No psionics, Tome of Battle/Magic/Incarnum, level adjustment buyoff, gestalt, 3rd-party, or homebrew. Certain loopholes and broken things may be banned. If you have a character concept but don't know how to reflect it in a char sheet, I will probably know of something with virtually identical flavor.  For example, Book of Erotic Fantasy is 3rd party and its 'crunchy' aspects are rather badly designed -  but feel free to use its 'fluffy' aspects for character ideas, ask about similar alternative classes or templates (feykissed <-> feytouched or half-fey, felid <-> catfolk), etc.

Party size depends on quantity and quality of interest and isn't a fixed number. It is not first-come-first-serve. "Is there still room?" is a common question in the E recruiting forum, and the answer is "Yes, it just depends on you."

My character sheet preference is plaintext first and/or Mythweavers a close second. An example of a plaintext format for this is at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060707a . A particular format need not be followed exactly.

The campaign will open in a Cormyrean town temple to a god or goddess - who will be chosen by the suggestions or consensus of the players in this thread.

Deity suggestions will have no bearing on your acceptance in the campaign, nor crunchily (dis)advantage certain types of characters.  Not every player need make suggestions, and you may make as many as you please in this thread, post-acceptance in the beginning OOC thread, or both. If you aren't familiar with the FR pantheons, you could give thematic suggestions ("is there an evil nature-y deity? who's the archetypal god of thieves?").

I encourage discussion with other people about the choice, and hearing why the choice appeals to you. No need to choose the same deity as worshipped by your character, who might just  be stopping in for curiosity, advice, a quick prayer before a relevant endeavor, healing or other spellcasting services, etc. Or they might simply passing by in front of it on the street. The choice may influence thematics and content of the campaign.

Muse

*bows* 

May I have the honor of being the first to apply, m'lady? 

While I had expressed interest in a Harper Paragon earlier, your story arc suggests that a Morninglord of Lathander might also be particularly entertaining. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Primarch

I'm very interested! I'd like to play a Warrior/Wizard...or Warrior/Sorcerer.

While I've seen it mentioned many times, I'm largely unfamiliar with the particulars behind a 40 point in. What are the values precisely? 

NicciKotor

I would also enjoy the chance to prove to you that I can play a character to your standards. It's been a while since the last time we played together, and I want to make it up to you for how bad I was back then.

I do feel the desire to step away from spell casting and the hassles that bring, and go for a classic female fighter. Going for human girl as well, since I have a perfect picture for her, and human brings a lot of positives into the fighter class.

Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

NicciKotor

Quote from: Primarch on November 20, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
I'm very interested! I'd like to play a Warrior/Wizard...or Warrior/Sorcerer.

While I've seen it mentioned many times, I'm largely unfamiliar with the particulars behind a 40 point in. What are the values precisely?

Standard point buy is rather confusing. The more higher the numbers you add onto your ability points, the larger the points you need to spend. So it isn't a 1-1 ratio. I would suggest using invisible castle to do the stat generation, that way you don't foul up too bad.

Primarch

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 20, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Standard point buy is rather confusing. The more higher the numbers you add onto your ability points, the larger the points you need to spend. So it isn't a 1-1 ratio. I would suggest using invisible castle to do the stat generation, that way you don't foul up too bad.

Looked up that Invisible Castle, it tells me there's a list on pg 169 in the DM Guide. Turns out the answer to my "what is the point buy values?" question has been about a foot and a half away from me for the last three years. XD

lorcan

Id like to reserve a spot in this game if you dont mind ill post my idea for a pc after i get back from Larp.

NicciKotor

Cecily Campbell

Fighter - Level 9
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 9d10+18(72 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30
Armor Class: 25 (8 armor, 4 shield, 3 dex)
Flat footed AC: 21
Touch AC: 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+13
Attack: +1 adamantine electric longsword +18 (1d8+1d6+9) and Shield throw +13 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: +1 adamantine electric longsword +18/+13 (1d8+1d6+9)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5ft
Special attacks: Improved disarm, improved sunder
Saves: Fort+9/Reflex+7/Will+6
Abilities: 16(18), 16, 14,14,14,14
Skills: Climb +14, handle animal +2, Intimidate + 14, Jump +14, Listen +5, Search +4, Spot + 5, Swim +5, survival +4.
Ranks: Climb+10, Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Listen +6, Search +4, Spot +6, survivial +4
Feats: Weapons Focus(longsword), Weapon specialization(longsword), Greater weapon focus(longsword), Combat expertise, improved disarm, improved sunder, power attack, melee weapon mastery (slashing), shield specialization, shield ward.
Languages: Common, sylvan, Elvish.
Equipment:
38000 gp
bag of holding - 2500
+3 called mithril breastplate - 15550 gp
+1 ranged steel shield - 4170 gp
+1 adamantine longsword - 5015 gp
Crystal of lesser electric - 3000 gp
gloves of ogre power + 2 - 4000 gp
+1 cloak of resistance - 1000 gp
ring of the 4 winds - 2000 gp

bedroll - 1sp - 5
blanket - 5sp - 3
candle - 1 cp
ten flask - 10 sp
manacles,master work - 50 gp - 2
mirror - 10 gp - .5lb
ink - 8 gp
paper - 12 sp 4 sheets
rope, silk - 10 gp- 5
soap - 5 gp - 1 lb
water skin - 1 gp - 1 lb
tent - 5 gp - 10 lb

655 gp left

Cecily started as a lady of a lesser noble house, enjoying the values and culture from that prestigious lifestyle and enjoying a rather comfortable childhood. Which only means that it would soon become tedious and boring. Just endless dinners and formal parties and more dinners. Not to mention the hassle of an arranged marriage! Which was the primary reason why she decided on her 18th birthday to steal her fathers adventuring gear and bribe the local weapons master.

Wandering into more wild lands, where she spent her years training to be a fighter and learning the real purpose in life, to have fun! Which also meant eventually falling in lust with her mentor, learning the subtle arts of love and kinky desires. Eventually learning everything she can from the man, both in the fine art of stabbing and in love. Wanting to explore her new talents for fighting and naughty, leaving him behind for more interesting lands.

All of which was years behind her now. Being quite the successful adventuress now, especially since she has yet to die a horrible death, which is always a positive. Walking down a random road in the middle of nowhere, wondering what sort of trouble life will bring her next.

Ring of the 4 winds - MIC
Ranged magic property - MIC
Lesser crystal of electric - MIC
Weapon Mastery feat - PHBII
Shield specialization - PHBII
Shield ward - PHBII

Kolbrandr

Submitting a character, just putting in a backstory first before a sheet.

Cade Truesilver, human male rogue 4/Paladin 3/Ranger 2

A bastard birth from a drunken indiscretion in a particular cold branch of the sprawling family, Cade got all the unfortunate treatment that comes the way of an illegitimate son of ancient blood and money. Truesilvers lead the Cormyrean military. Truesilvers performed some of the greatest heroic deeds of the nation's history. Truesilvers could trace their power, glory and dignity all the way back to the founding of Cormyr itself. Cade had such knowledge practically drilled into his head, just so it would be made clear the things he was never to have any part of. Oh, he would be kept around, for as unfortunate a social problem he was just for existing, turning him out into the street would look even worse. But it would be as an adjunct, an afterthought, and if he ever tried to step beyond himself, the reprisals would be harsh.

Nursing an ever rising outrage at the contempt thrown his way, Cade began to make a game of it. After all, his blood compelled to greatness, and a great embarrassment was still great, was he not? It helped that he had inherited a full measure of the family's quality, if nothing else, facilitating a keen tactical mind applied to planning scandal, and a strong body to carry out any manner of unfortunate deed. He lied, he cheated, he stole, he ruined parties and picked fights. The rest of the family, not quite aware of his upbringing (and as far as it goes, having never been that deeply interested in the circumstances of a bastard really) could only see all the disgrace, aghast and infuriated for it. His direct kin delved into outright cruelties to clamp down on it. That just goaded Cade to get inventive.

There was all the same no single defining incident, no particular shock, no family driven to outright kill the little shit on sheer fury that broke Cade off such acts. In the end, his performances were born out of dissatisfaction, frustration and outrage, and in the end, they soothed, nor satisfied him not at all. At times he wasn't sure if he felt anything remotely. If nothing else, he had cultivated skills to this point that let him just slip away into the night, seeking further distraction from his life to this point, and everything within himself.

He made it all the way to Waterdeep, taking up a life as a petty criminal and from what lessons of courtlier arts he had paid attention to, sometimes performer. He embraced every debauchery and degeneracy available to him, keeping company with other young alleyway wastrel scum. And again, there was no great holy revelation, no single redemptive act that awoke his slumbering soul. Oh, he watched what could be called his friends die off from the varying consequences of their lives, but that itself was not much of a counter to nihilistic bravado. In the end, it was nothing more and nothing less than the ever mounting understanding that being as vile as his kin expected him to be was getting him nothing more than.. being as vile as his kin expected him to be. That there was nowhere he could flee from his own self disgust. Even so, that awareness was jarring against a stubborn refusal to lay down and die, a sense of that would be just letting his family and the world win. So it was that without his family to torture him, he seemed to be able to torture himself just fine.

Desperate for some way to make himself whole, even just to get over himself,  he placed himself into the care of the one group of people he had seen walking out amongst the disenfranchised and low without pity or contempt, with empathy instead of sympathy. Or, more accurately, he mustered all his skill to break into the personal chambers of the city's high priest of Torm, wait for him, and ask on arrival, as a simple plea, "please help fix me."

It was an effort of months, and painful ones besides. Honest work, confession, penance and counselling. There was no miracle cure, only slow and thorough effort to help Cade learn a value for service and duty of themselves, to use them as means to draw out better parts of himself, and thereby confront the worst. He turned his stubbornness to resolve, his outrage to compassion, his bravado to daring in the name of others. Cleansed over time of the detritus that had accumulated on his spirit, he was able to connect to that part of him that was a Truesilver, and channel it towards good, developing a martial skill and spirit out from a will that had wanted to take on the whole world out of spite.

With soul unburdened, he could now choose what burdens he wished to take up, in full awareness. In tearful gratitude, he took up the higher calling of a paladin, seeking to repay Torm and his clergy by using all his talents now to better those around him, as he had been bettered. To serve others, and thereby truly serve himself. He could look at himself in the mirror now, and the journey he took to be able to do so was one he pledged to use the wisdom of in aid of others failing or faltering.

He has travelled far and wide since, developing talent as a wanderer, seeking good causes to lend aid to, or at least ones that can refine him to be capable of more in that service. His ability to bring.. somewhat unorthodox talents and perspectives, filtered through the vision of the True towards problems, has seen him favoured by Torm's clergy as something of an itinerant troubleshooter. Though his thoughts do sometimes turn back to his old life, in the main the only regret he feels about them is how much time he wasted, when he could have been putting himself to such purpose.

He has found himself in Cormyr without all that much thought to his heritage. The clergy of the True had called for aid in the chaos that had been gripping the land in recent years and it only seemed natural to answer. That he has earned some measure of respect from doing his part to fight in the dark days that had been is a source of confusion to those who once knew him. It has lead to a thought amongst his family to reach back out to him and re-establish ties, that a man of his sort would be of no small use. Having worked so hard to earn a surety in himself and his life, Cade finds himself dealing with a sense of hesitation for the first time in a while.

NicciKotor

Like my character Kol? I think she is pretty well equipped to get the stabbing and slashing in with little effort.

Tackyhillbilly

A Factotum is acceptable? I've been looking for a chance to play Indiana Jones for a while.

lorcan

This post is just to share my level Break down and Check if my Prestige class is acceptable. My background and stats will be posted soon.
Levels Fighter 6  Ranger 2 Knight Protector 1.
KNIGHT PROTECTOR
The few, the proud, the knight protectors are martial characters
dedicated to restoring the ideals of knightly chivalry
before they fade forever. The protectors see moral decay
everywhere they look in the world around them, brought
on by a lapse in ethical behavior. Like paladins, knight
protectors adhere to a rigid code of behavior that embraces
such values as honor, honesty, chivalry, and courage. Unlike
paladins, the first duty of knight protectors is to this code
and the ideals for which it stands, rather than to a deity or a
holy order. A protector is expected to display these ideals in
all aspects of his behavior and throughout all his actions and
deeds, however arduous they may be.
Many knight protectors come from backgrounds of honor
and loyalty, such as other orders of chivalry or the service
of a powerful master. Paladins and ex-paladins are the most
common knight protectors, and clerics of lawful deities (such
as St. Cuthbert or Heironeous) as well as fighters seeking a
higher ideal often find much to appreciate in the knight
protector’s code of conduct. Members of most other classes,
particularly spellcasters, lack either the interest or the dedication
to pursue this path.
NPC knight protectors are often found wandering alone,
looking for worthy people to protect or idealistic lords to
serve. What little bond or organization exists between knight
protectors is extremely strong—whether a knight protector
was once a baron, a lowly liegeman, or a samurai, each feels a
kinship to his compatriots and a longing for better days.
Hit Die: d10.
Requirements
To qualify to become a knight protector, a character must
fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful neutral or lawful good.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
CHAPTER 2
PRESTIGE
CLASSES
Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
4 ranks, Ride 6 ranks.
Feats: Armor Profi ciency (heavy), Cleave, Great Cleave,
Mounted Combat, Power Attack.
Class Skills
The knight protector’s class skills (and the key ability for each
skill) are Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge
(nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifi er.
Table 2–20: The Knight Protector
Base
Attack Fort Ref Will
Level Bonus Save Save Save Special
1st +1 +0 +0 +2 Defensive stance +2,
shining beacon
2nd +2 +0 +0 +3 Best effort +2, Iron Will
3rd +3 +1 +1 +3 Supreme cleave
4th +4 +1 +1 +4 Defensive stance +3
5th +5 +1 +1 +4 Best effort +3
6th +6 +2 +2 +5 No mercy 1
7th +7 +2 +2 +5 Defensive stance +4
8th +8 +2 +2 +6 Best effort +4
9th +9 +3 +3 +6 No mercy 2
10th +10 +3 +3 +7 Defensive stance +5,
retributive attack
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the knight protector
prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Profi ciency: Knight protectors gain
profi ciency with tower shields.
Defensive Stance (Ex): At the start of any turn when a
knight protector is within 5 feet of an ally who has fewer Hit
Dice than he does, the knight protector can transfer up to
2 points of Armor Class to the ally (making his own Armor
Class worse by the same number). The maximum number of
points he can transfer increases by 1 for every three levels
beyond 1st.
Shining Beacon (Su): A knight protector is the physical
and spiritual embodiment of high ideals. All his allies gain a
+4 morale bonus on saves against fear effects when they stand
within 10 feet of the character. If the knight protector is paralyzed,
unconscious, or otherwise rendered helpless, his allies
lose this bonus.
Best Effort (Ex): The daunting nature of the knight protector’s
goals often requires special focus of effort. Beginning
at 2nd level, a knight protector gains a bonus on any one skill
check he makes, once per day. The character must declare
that he is using this ability before he makes the skill check.
This bonus increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 2nd.
Iron Will (Ex): At 2nd level, a knight protector gains Iron
Will as a bonus feat.
Supreme Cleave (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a knight
protector can take a 5-foot step between attacks when using
the Cleave or Great Cleave feat.
No Mercy (Ex): At 6th level, a knight protector gains the
ability to make one extra attack of opportunity per round (as
if he had the Combat Refl exes feat and a Dexterity modifi er of
+1). At 9th level and higher, the character can make as many
as two extra attacks of opportunity per round. This benefi t
stacks with the benefi t of the Combat Refl exes feat.
Retributive Attack (Su): If an ally of a 10th-level knight
protector is rendered helpless or unconscious, the character
can make a retributive attack against the creature that felled
his ally. When making a retributive attack, the knight protector
adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack roll and
deals an extra 10 points of damage on a successful hit.
A knight protector can make a number of retributive
attacks per day equal to his Charisma bonus (minimum one),
but never more than one per round. He may make more than
one retributive attack against the same foe.
Multiclass Note: A paladin or samurai who becomes a
knight protector may continue advancing in his original
class.
Ex-Knight Protectors
A knight protector who willingly and knowingly violates
the code for no adequate reason loses all supernatural class
features of the prestige class and may no longer advance in
levels as a knight protector.
THE CODE OF THE KNIGHT PROTECTOR
A knight protector must be of lawful neutral or lawful good alignment,
and must adhere to the order’s code of conduct.
Support: The order supports its own. A knight protector can
expect to receive room and board, as well as a mount with appropriate
gear, from the order for as long as he remains in its
ranks and adheres to the Code.
The Code:
Courage and enterprise in obedience to the order.
Defense of any mission unto death.
Respect for all peers and equals; courtesy to all lessers.
Combat is glory; battle is the true test of self-worth; war is the
fl owering of the chivalric ideal.
Personal glory above all in battle.
Death before dishonor.
pqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqrs

Muse

Name:      Kelsie Shatterstar
Race:      Human (Chondathan)
Class:      Human Paragon 3, Cleric 3, Morninglord of Lathander 3

Strength   14   +2
Dexterity   10   +0
Constitution   14   +2
Intelligence   14   +2
Wisdom   18   +4
Charisma   18   +4

HP      66

AC      24   (Armor +10   Shield +4   Dex +0)

Saves: 
Fort   7     +2      =+9
Refl   3   +0      =+3
Will   9   +4   -3   =+10

Base Attack +6 +1   Melee +8+3   Grapple +8   Missile +6 +1

Masterwork Lance
   TAB      +9 +4
   Damage   d8+2
   Critical      20X3
   Reach      10’

Masterwork Mace
   TAB      +9+4
   Damage   d8+2
   Critical      20X2
   Reach      5’

Dagger
   TAB      +8 +3 or +6+1
   Damage   d4+2
   Critical      19X2
   Range      10’

Flaws
Weak Willed

Feats
Augment Healing
Initiate of Lathander
Improved Turning
Mounted Combat
--Spirited Charge
Saddleback
Versatile Performer:  Dance, Sing, Strings

Languages: 
Chondathan
Common
Damaran
Gnome

Proficiencies
Armor Proficiency: Light-Heavy
Shield Proficiency: All but Tower. 
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Martial Weapon Proficiency: Lance

Skills
C.   Craft: Painter         6   
C.H.   Diplomacy         8
H.   Handle Animal      5
H.   Heal            6
H.   K. Local, Cormyr      4
H.   K. Nobility         5
C.H.   K. Religion         8 
C.H   Perform: Versatile      8   
***   Ride            12   +0      =
H.   Speak Languege      6   
H.   Sense Motive         4   +      =
C.M.   Spellcraft         6   +2      =d20+8

History: 
   Born to the young and comely minor noblewoman Trisa Scatterhawk some nine months after she was seen dancing with King Ahzoun at a party, Kelsie retains the polite fiction that her father was a visiting Chesentan noble and that she was completely floored and amazed by the gift of the mighty war mare his majesty sent her on her 16th birthday. 
   She spent some time in the officers corps, but after having too pacify a rebellious Cormyrean city, she rethought her life and joined the church of Lathander.  Still a great lover of Cormyr, she fights hard for her homeland, but tempers her violence with healing and art. 

Gear: 
(5,650)      +2 Full Plate
(4,170)      +2 Large Steel Shield

Kelsie’s Holy Medalion:  (19,000)
This rose quartz disk radiates a soft rosy glow (as per Continual Flame.)  It is on a sting of white ceramic beads. 
It provides +4 wisdom and the properties of an amulet of retributive healing. 
Devoting your life to healing is often a thankless job. An amulet of retributive hea­ing ensures that if you tend to your allies, you are renewed in turn. 
When you activate your amulet, the next effect you use before the end of your turn that heals another creature's damage also heals you of an equal amount, as long as you could be healed by that same effect.
If the effect heals multiple creatures, you only gain the retributive healing once per effect.
For example, a human cleric casting cure light wounds on an ally after activating this amulet would gain the same amount of healing, but a human wizard casting repairlight damage on her warforged ally would not benefit from activating the amulet (since that spell only affects constructs). 

(2,500)   Cormyrean Destrier  (Champions of Valor PG 154)
(1,250)   +1 Studded Leather Barding
(210)   Masterwork Military Saddle
(310)   Masterwork Lance
(500)   Magic Bedroll
(800)   Magic Feedbag
(300)   Everfull Trail Rations
(250)   Everfull Mug

Belt PouchX2
Flint and Steel

Backpack
Gold:  753

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ferrousaemyr

It's been forever since I've touched FR, but I'd love to be in a group game on E.

Seeing as there's already tons of fighter-types, I'd be happy to do a wizard; here's the character/personality write-up, and I'll crunch the stats if you're up for having me.

As for the church, I'd suggest something of a god/dess of Luck, Fate, or Fortune. The campaign intro sounds like a great launch for political intrigue, and I'd definitely enjoy some of that, though I'm happy with whichever.

Jericho grew up in a poor family of farmers, who made do with hard work on the land and persistence where nature did not favor them. While his family was pleasant, and the work tiresome but not too hard, he was a dreamer; his eye always sought more. When his family and others in the local town told stories, Jericho listened with rapt attention, eager to devour the details for his imagination to feed on. As he grew older, he began making up stories of his own, and telling to any who would listen. Over time, he grew quite a reputation.

When a nearby wizard, Orech, paid a rare visit to town, he overheard Jericho unfolding an intricate story to a cluster of spellbound teens in the tavern. Taking a seat, surprising them and, most of all, Jericho, he listened with attention as Jericho laid out the tale and finished the story. Applauding with the rest of the youth, Orech asked Jericho how much of the story was true; "Bits and pieces," he replied, a little hesitantly.

Orech invited Jericho to walk with him, and discussed a variety of topics with the teen. Outside of town, he cast a spell and looked into Jericho; seeing the talent for magic within him, he offered the insightful youth a position as an apprentice. Though Jericho briefly thought of his family, he knew, truly, there was nothing more he would love than to break free from the mundaneness of his life and become something more. Eagerly accepting, Jericho began his tutelage.

Though Orech was often a hermit, he made many trips and adventures across the Realms and brought Jericho along with him, instructing him in history, local details, and finer points of what it meant to be a responsible wizard in the land. Orech was a kind and benevolent teacher, though disciplined at times, and taught Jericho well.

When Jericho's final year of apprenticeship was up, he was pleased to have learned under Orech; the man was kind, wise, and brilliant. While setting off on his own, he was happy to keep ties with him.

Unlike Orech, though, Jericho was a very social human. Everywhere he went, he was curious about the people, and got into conversation easily, listening to the stories of others and telling his own. Good-natured and always interested in helping, he lent his magical expertise to the solving of many problems, mundane and fantastical. Over time, as he developed his skill, he grew a reputation for his deeds and friendly nature, drawing more attention from those with power and money.

Despite his social leanings, Jericho wasn't very interested in being used and manipulated for political gain; nevertheless, when opportunities arose for him to learn and aid the people, even when coming from seats of power and interest, he took them. Careful to remain generally neutral, Jericho's many friendships and broad scope of work has drawn him into the periphery of many political webs all the same. Recently, he has begun to use his notoriety and influence to nudge events and intrigue into directions that benefit the many, rather than the few. Though new at it, his expertise and cunning have served him very well thus far.

Primarch

Name: Gideon
Race: Human
Class: Fighter (4)/Wizard (5)

Strength: 16 (+3)
Dexterity: 13 (+1)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Intelligence: 17 (+3)/wHeadband 21 (+5)
Wisdom: 13 (+1)
Charisma: 13 (+1)

Fort: +5(+2)           Ref: +5(+1)         Will: +5(1)(+2)

HP: 51
AC: 19 (Touch 12, Flat footed 18)

BAB: +6/+1
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear
Roll to Attack: d20+9/+4       Roll for Damage: d8+7 (crit x3, range 20ft, piercing)

Feats: Combat Casting, Iron Will, Still Spell, Spell Mastery, Magical Aptitude, Weapon Focus (Spear), Weapon Specialization (Spear), Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Transmutation)

Skills:
Decipher Script 9(+3), Spellcraft 9(+3), Concentration: 9(+2), Jump: 7(+3), Intimidate: 7(+1), Ride: 7(+1), Knowledge (Arcana): 6(+3), Perform (Oratory): 3 ½ (+1), Diplomacy: 3(+1), Sense Motive: 3(+1), Escape Artist: 1 ½ (+1)

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

Equipment: (162 gp 4sp)
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear (11,002 gp, hardness 5, hp13, Bypass hardness less than 20)
+1 Masterwork Mithral Chainmail
(5,150 gp, +7AC, light armour, +4 Max Dex, -2 Armour Check Penalty, 20% Spell Failure, 20lbs, 20ft)
Bag of Holding, 250 lbs 2,500
Ring of Protection +1: 2,000gp
Headband of Intellect +4: 16,000 gp

Wizards Spellbook: 15gp/3lb
Dull Grey Iuon Stone/w Continual Flame 175gp
Heavy Warhorse: 400gp
Military Saddle: 20gp
Spell Component Pouch: 5gp/2lb
Tent: 10gp/20lb
Winter Blanket: 5sp
Everfull Trail Rations: 300gp
Feed x 10: 5sp/100lb

Spells:
Spells per day: 0 Level: 4/1st Level: 5/2nd Level: 3/3rd Level: 2

Spells Known:
0 Level: All
1st Level: Shield, Mage Armour, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, Protection from Evil, Reduce Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike
2nd Level: Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength, Blindness/Deafness
3rd Level: Displacement, Suggestion

Spells Mastered: 1st Level: True Strike, Shield, Mage Armour. 2nd Level: Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength

Familiar
Huginn
Raven, +3 Appraise for Gideon
Natural Armour Adjustment: +3, Int 8
Specials: Alertness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells.

NicciKotor

Let's have a sparring match primal. I'm bored and I need to test drive Miss Cecily.

Primarch

I'm afraid I'm only on for a few more minutes. Perhaps another time.

ff

Everyone: for anything non-core, please include a "Sources" blurb at the end of your sheet like so:

"Sources: CW - knight protector prestige class; Dungeonscape - Factotum class; PHBII - shield specialization feat, shield ward feat; MiC - ring of the four winds."

Muse

Harper Paragon or Morninglord both sound good. I forget; where are the Morninglord PrC and Human Paragon from?

Also, please go for a more 'compact' style sheet, such as the example linked to in my initial post. For example, putting the feats on one line with commas rather than a separate line for each (the link, and Nicci's sheet, are examples of that).

Primarch

Gideon looks nice. Similar advice to Muse - for example, a comma-separated list of skills and feats rather than 1 or few per line. Fighters also get a bonus feat at 2nd level.

NicciKotor

Looks very nice. Comments:

I assume her shield specialization is (heavy).
I think her AC is +1 higher (thanks to shield specialization).
I think her longsword damage mod is +10 (4 str, 2 weapon, 2 specialization feat, 2 mastery feat)
Stat block is +2 electric sword but equip list is just +2. I'm guessing the latter so that the gp comes out right. Or perhaps you meant +1 electric sword, which would explain the +9 damage mod above (in which case the attack mod would be +17). Actually, if you want to use one of those energy augment crystals for the electric damage (which would require freeing up 3K gp from her other gear), I know that once before I told you they were 'too good', but since then, I'm become more lenient about ixnaying stuff.
Does she have a special ability related to shield throwing? IIRC any weapon (which shields are) can be thrown, but if they lack a range increment they take a -4 attack penalty. So the throw attack mod would be +9 (and the damage mod would be +4 rather than +6; the shield's enhancement as a shield doesn't add to attack or damage. Although a shield can be enhanced as a weapon as well for the same price as a 'regular' weapon.)

Cecily looks great overall!

Kolbrandr

Interesting use of the Truesilver family; I remember them from one of the novels. I'll look for a char sheet.

Tackyhillbilly

Sure, a Factotum sounds great. From Dungeonscape, yes?

lorcan

Knight Protector is fine. From Complete Warrior, was it?

Anael

A wizard sounds good.

lorcan

Yes Knight protector is in  Complete Warrior.

Tackyhillbilly

Indeed. Pretty much beyond Dungeonscape, Core, and the Spell Compendium, I am using... one feat. Font of Inspiration

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606

Official Wizards material, if added in a web expansion. Because using my Class Abilities more times an encounter is a good thing.

---

Mythweaver's Sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255349

Will Transcribe to Plaintext

---

Arivel Durvesh

Human True Neutral Factotum 9

HD 9d8+18 (62 HP Average)

AC 20 (10+7 Armor+1 Dex+1 Natural+1 Deflect)
Touch 12
Flatfooted 19

Init +1

Speed 30 ft

Str 12
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 10
Cha 16

Fort +7
Reflex +10
Will +6

Weapons
+1 Seeking Longbow
Attack Bonus: +8/+3
Damage: 1d8+2
Critcal: x3
Range: 110ft

Masterwork Greatsword
Attack Bonus: +8/+3
Damage: 2d6+1
Critical: 19-20

Armor
+2 Mithral Breastplate
AC Bonus 7
Armor Check Penalty -1
Max Dex +5
Spell Failure 15%

Skills

Appraise 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Balance 5 Ranks (Modifier +12)
Bluff 5 Ranks (Modifier +8)
Climb 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Concentration 1 Rank (Modifier +2)
Deciper Script 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Diplomacy 12 Ranks (Modifier +21)
Disable Device 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Disguise 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Escape Artist 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Forgery 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Gather Information 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Handle Animal 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Heal 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Hide 12 Ranks (Modifier +17)
Intimidate 12 Ranks (Modifier +17)
Jump 5 Ranks (Modifier +12)
Knowledge Arcana 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge Architecture and Engineering 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Dungeoneering 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Geography 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge History 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Local 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knolwedge Nature 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Knoweldge Nobility and Royalty 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge Religion 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge The Planes 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Listen 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Move Silently 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Open Lock 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Perform 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Ride 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Search 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Sense motive 5 Ranks (Modifier +5)
Sleight of Hand 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Spellcraft 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Spot 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Survival 5 Ranks (Modifier +5)
Swim 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Tumble 11 Ranks (Modifier +18)
Use Magical Device 12 Ranks (Modifier +15)
Use Rope 1 Rank (Modifier +6)

Class Abilities
Inspiration: 20
Cunning Insight
Cunning Knowledge
Trapfinding
Brains over Brawn
Cunning Defense
Cunning Strike
Oppurtunistic Piety
Cunning Surge

Feats
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration

Magical Equipment
Cloak of Resistance +3
Ring of Protection +1
Amulet of Natural Armor +1
Bag of Holding, Type 2

Normal Equipment
Bedroll
Crowbar
Flint and Steel
Grappling Hook
100 Ft Silk Rope
Tent
Thieves Tools, Masterwork
Musical Instrument, Masterwork (Lute)
Holy Symbol (Silver)
Healer's Kit
Disguise Kit
Climber's Kit
Bit and Bridle
Horse, Heavy
Saddle, Riding
Trail Ration x10
Waterskin
200 Arrows

Currency
363 gp
4 sp

Spells Currently Memorized
Nightstalker's Transformation (Spell Compendium)
Ruin Delvers Fortune (Spell Compendium)
Dimensional Door
Black Tentacles

Languages
Chondathan
Damaran
Turmic
Goblin
Elven

-----

Appearance: Arisel is a sturdy looking fellow, with dark brown hair, and green eyes. Dressed in a forest green cloak, with a Greatsword strapped to his back, alongside a longbow, he looks like a soldier of caravan guard. Nothing overtly magical or powerful screams his identity. To magical sight, his items glow, but nothing stands to identify him.

---

Personaility Arisel is a veteran. At the end of the day, thats the only descriptor he would make a claim to. He's lived through far to much to imagine himself skilled or talented. He just managed to live. Whatever he skills he possesses, talents, whatever, they are just a measure of the fact that he was the one lucky enough not to take an arrow through the head.

This measure of himself carries through his lifestyle. When not doing some 'damn fool thing' as he calls his 'adventures' he tends to sit in a tavern somewhere and drink. He's a dour, sarcastic fellow, with a cynical view of humanity, and a pessimistic view in general.

---

Background: Arivel was born in Cormyr, and grew up there. His father was a member of City Watch, and his mum a homebody. He spent his childhood playing in the city streets of Cormyr, just one of the many children of the lower class. Things were tight, but they didn't starve. When he came of age, he joined up with the City Guard, taking the Shortsword, Club, and Crossbow. The Cormyr City Guard gave the great Arivel his first training with weapons. Not many remember that.

He stayed with the guard for a few years, before things turned bad for the new guard. He broke up a Bar Fight, rapping a few people on the head who decided that settling down seemed less fun then continuing. He dragged those off to a Cell, not noticing the finery of one of them. He'd thrown them in the cell before the Jailer recognized the idiot as a noble. Arivel took the news remarkably weel. In that he thought out a plan before hightailing it out of Cormyr. He caught a ship to Westgate, and joined up the first caravan out of there. That was where the legend of Arivel really took off, if one is stupid enough to call it that.

He travelled far and wide, serving as a Caravan Guard, City Watchman, Mercenary, whatever he had to do to get coin. He travelled with all sorts. Wizards, from whom he picked up the Art of magic. Clerics, whom he learned to trick their gods into interceding for him once or twice. Scholars, Thieves, Warriors, Rangers, all have numbered in his employers or comrades. And he's learned from each of them. Not enough to call himself a master. Just enough to scrape by. He's wandered all over, constantly moving on when the chance came. And honestly, he's enjoyed himself. But he always wanted to come back home. And finally hes gotten the hardchance. The Noble got himself knifed over something, Arivel hardly cares what. And Arivel boarded the next ship to Cormyr.

He'd been back home for a few weeks now. He's visited some graves, spoken with mostly forgotten friends, and spent a lot of time in his old tavern. And now... he is ready to do something else. Cormyr isn't his home anymore. He isn't Guardsman Durvesh. He's outgrown whatever place he had in Cormyr, and it isn't his home any longer. He doesn't know if he even has a home anymore, but he won't find it getting drunk in dingy taverns.

---

Sources

Dungeonscape - Factotum Class
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606 Web Expansion - Font of Inspiration Fear
Spell Comendium - Spells: Ruin Delvers Luck and Nightstalker's Transformation

All else is from Core

Muse

Human Paragon is from Unearthed Arcana. 
Morninglord of Lathander is from Player's  Guide to Faerun. 

NicciKotor

Looks very nice. Comments:

I assume her shield specialization is (heavy).
I think her AC is +1 higher (thanks to shield specialization).
I think her longsword damage mod is +10 (4 str, 2 weapon, 2 specialization feat, 2 mastery feat)
Stat block is +2 electric sword but equip list is just +2. I'm guessing the latter so that the gp comes out right. Or perhaps you meant +1 electric sword, which would explain the +9 damage mod above (in which case the attack mod would be +17). Actually, if you want to use one of those energy augment crystals for the electric damage (which would require freeing up 3K gp from her other gear), I know that once before I told you they were 'too good', but since then, I'm become more lenient about ixnaying stuff.
Does she have a special ability related to shield throwing? IIRC any weapon (which shields are) can be thrown, but if they lack a range increment they take a -4 attack penalty. So the throw attack mod would be +9 (and the damage mod would be +4 rather than +6; the shield's enhancement as a shield doesn't add to attack or damage. Although a shield can be enhanced as a weapon as well for the same price as a 'regular' weapon.)

Cecily looks great overall!

It is +9. The longsword is +2, with a +1 into electric, so it does not get the +1 to attack and dmg. Masterwork only adds +1 to attack also. So 4 str+2 specialization+2 mastery+1 magic.

The heavy steel shield is also +2, with a +1 from being ranged. It is essentially a returning weapon for purposes of throwing. So the effective AC from the shield is still 2 base + 1 magic + 1 specialization.

Which also explains why I have my shield attack at 30 feet.

The ranged magic property also makes it be 1d8+str+enhancement from the shield. Which is why it is 1d8+6. 4 for str and 2 from it being a +2 shield. It is in the MIC, page 13.

Oh crap, I just now looked at it, and I did some minor things wrong. I do not add the +1 from the ranged ability into the damage, so it is only 1d8+5. I'll change that. I just have that so I have a very good ranged attack, that and the element of surprise is always good.

My full attack is +18. 9BAB+4str+1weaponfocus+1greaterweaonfocus+2mastery+1 magic weapon.
9+4+1+1+2+1 = 18

Yeah might as well get a electric energy crystal for the longsword. It would indeed save 3000 gp doing that. It would lose hardness and hp values from going down from +2 to +1

Question: Would my shield count for either weapon or armor crystals, since I use it for both of those purposes? I know that I can only get a lesser crystal, since lesser can attach to a +1 weapon or lower.

If not I'll just spend my free 3000 gp into making the longsword adamantine. DR values is the only thing that I am weak against.

Kirinis

FF, what are your feelings about non-standard races to be used as player characters?

jisko888

I'm greatly interested in playing this game. Playing D&D quite often, though its been a while since I played 3.5 and wouldn't mind getting a game of it going once more. Have some ideas for a few Clerics still kicking around in my head that I never got to play, but not sure if you're still accepting players for the game or if you're full.

Tonalberry

Same here, wondering if there's still room to join in, or if seven characters is your limit.  I don't really have a character in mind yet, but I can always fill in a missing niche.

swordwind

Grinex Nettle Half-Orc Ranger 9th 9d8+45 (99)
Alignment NG
Init +3
AC 19/20
Speed 30 ft
Base Attack/Grapple: 9/15
Basic Attack: Flaming Battle Axe +17/+12  (1d8+6+1d6) x3 Crit
Full Attack: 2x Flaming Battle Axes +15/+10 +15/+10  (1d8+6+1d6)  / (1d8+3+1d6)
Abilities Str 20 (22) Dex 14 Con 16 (18) Int 12 Wis 11 Cha 11
Saves: Fort 10 Ref 8 Will 3
Skills: Climb (Str) 4/10, Handle Animal (Cha) 5, Heal (Wis) 2, Hide (Dex) 7/9, Jump (Str) 1/7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int) 5/6,
Knowledge (geography) (Int) 5/6, Knowledge (nature) (Int) 5/6, Listen (Wis) 8, Move Silently (Dex) 7/9, Ride (Dex) 4 (7)/9, Search (Int) 2/3,
Spot (Wis) 8, Survival (Wis) 11(13), Swim (Str) 2/8, Use Rope (Dex) 2/4.
Feats:
1st Weapon Focus (BattleAxe), Track, 2nd Combat Style (Melee) – Two Weapon Fighting, 3rd Oversized two weapon Fighting (CA), 6th Two weapon Defense, Combat Style (Improved Two weapon Fighting) 9th Improved Toughness (CA)
Equipment: Amulet of Health +2 4000 Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2 4100 +1 Flaming Battle Axe 8310, +1 Flaming Battle Axe 8310 +3 Studded Leather Armor 9175 Ring of Protection +1 2000 GP 105
Special Abilities: Favor Enemy 2nd, Endurance, Woodland Stride, Fast Tracker, Evasion
Animal Companion (Hawk) Bloodclaw
Size/Type: Tiny Animal Hit Dice: 3d8 (12 hp)
Initiative: +4 Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 20 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +4 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/–7 Attack: Talons +8 melee (1d4–2)
Full Attack: Talons +8 melee (1d4–2)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot  +16
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Tricks: Attack, Come, Down, Fetch, Heel, Seek, Stay, Defend

Bio:
Many people wonder what lies within the wilds of the realms. No one doubts that both man, beast, and fiend lie within them, but just what it is that makes that noise, that chill that rises up into people's bones. Some fools rush out and see what it is, never to return when the sun rises again, yet others, go out and sometimes come back, but not only do they come back, they bring the beasts head with them. Grinex is one of these people, plowing forth into the unknown lands, seeking something that he himself would like to know. Within the wild woods, the fester swamps, the icy mountains, and dark tombs, he walks. Exploring that which others would clearly, and wisely, avoid. Is it gold and riches that push his path, his attire shows wealth, if one could look under the dirt plastered over it.

But if asked the answer it is no, perhaps power then? Something all crave at some point or another, but that again is not his motivation, then perhaps some vow or creed, yet again it is no. His origins are from the wilds themselves, from barbarian bands, to becoming the wandering soldier, to guide and guard of merchants and farmer alike. But as the tale grew so did his name, from foul beasts devouring souls of the living in remote towns or villages, to the unexplored paths into both the ground and mountains alike. Tale spread of the wandering half-breed and his skills of wrath.

For where he went one would know, that all around him would be set aglow.     
For off the beaten path he now will go, with eyes above that will keep him in tow

Hello Everyone. What's up?

ff

Tackyhillbilly

Nice so far; please use the more 'compact' char sheet format mentioned in my opening post.

Kirinis

Not-standard races in principle are fine. Just don't be offput if you play, say, a minotaur, and human townspeople freak out and run away.

jisko888 and Tonalberry

Yes, there is still room. I never understood why most people do their RPs first-come-first-serve rather than picking the best. Also the party size isn't fixed and will depend on the number of compatible-seeming players.

Nikki

Ah okay, the Ranged property. Thanks for the page number reference! I agree, a nice way to give her a ranged weapon without having to sheath/draw to switch to a bow.

The shield can only hold one crystal at a time (from MiC p221 "Each item can hold a single augment crystal"). If you find an armor augment crystal it could go in her armor though.

swordwind
Nice so far; please use the more 'compact' char sheet format mentioned in my opening post.

everyone

Here's the example stat block linked in my original post. (Don't worry, you're not fighting a Balor at level 9, it's just an example - and a good one, since it has a lot of 'stuff'). Try to follow its format as closely as you know how; I'm used to scanning stat blocks like this for my DMing (from SRD monsters and my own NPcs I create) so it's much faster for me, would help me handle a larger party, and be quicker later on.

The Balor has a lot of 'stuff', so if you copy-paste it to use as a template, you can delete lines like 'Aura' and 'Spell-Like Abilities' that don't apply to your char.

the Balor has some abilities, like its True Seeing, 'written out' / 'described' at the end. Doing that for your own character's abilities (class features like smite evil, etc.) is optional. (I may later ask for ones I'm not familiar with to be written out.)

Since the Balor doesn't cast spells, an example (from Alustriel Silverhand) of spells is pasted afterwards.

Following its stat block, I copied a 'blanked out' one that may be quicker to use as a template.

I changed 'Treasure' to 'Equipment'. I recommend, as some players thoughtfully have, including the price of each item in parentheses.

Demon, Balor
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 20d8+200 (290 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 90 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 35 (–1 size, +7 Dex, +19 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+36
Attack:+1 vorpal longsword +33 melee (2d6+8/19–20)
Full Attack:+1 vorpal longsword +31/+26/+21/+16 melee (2d6+8/19–20) and +1 flaming whip +30/+25 melee (1d4+4 plus 1d6 fire plus entangle); or 2 slams +31 melee (1d10+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with +1 flaming whip)
Special Attacks: Death throes, entangle, spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri, vorpal sword Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good, darkvision 60 ft., flaming body, immunity to electricity, fire, and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, spell resistance 28, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +19, Will +19
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 25, Con 31, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 26
Skills: Bluff +31, Concentration +33, Diplomacy +35, Disguise +8 (+10 acting), Hide +26, Intimidate +33, Knowledge (any two) +30, Listen +38, Move Silently +30, Search +30, Sense Motive +30, Spellcraft +30 (+32 scrolls), Spot +38, Survival +7 (+9 following tracks), Use Magic Device +31 (+33 scrolls)
Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (telekinesis), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items, plus +1 vorpal greatsword and +1 flaming whip

Wizard Spells Per Day (4/6/6/5/5/5/4/3/4/4): Base save DC 17. Wizard caster level 22.
Sorcerer Spells Known (Cast per Day: 6/5; Base DC = 13 + Spell Level): 0 detect magic, detect poison, light,mage hand, read magic; 1st comprehend languages, feather fall.

Character Name
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice:
Initiative: +
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class:  (+ Dex, + armor), touch , flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: + / +
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: g
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Skills:
Feats:
Alignment:
Equipment:

ff

Tackyhillbilly

Kirinis

Not-standard races in principle are fine. Just don't be offput if you play, say, a minotaur, and human townspeople freak out and run away.

jisko888 and Tonalberry

Yes, there is still room. I never understood why most people do their RPs first-come-first-serve rather than picking the best. Also the party size isn't fixed and will depend on the number of compatible-seeming players.

Nikki

Ah okay, the Ranged property. Thanks for the page number reference! I agree, a nice way to give her a ranged weapon without having to sheath/draw to switch to a bow.

The shield can only hold one crystal at a time (from MiC p221 "Each item can hold a single augment crystal"). If you find an armor augment crystal it could go in her armor though.

swordwind

everyone

Here's the example stat block linked in my original post. (Don't worry, you're not fighting a Balor at level 9, it's just the example wizards.com used - and a good one, since it has a lot of 'stuff'). Try to follow its format as closely as you know how; I'm used to scanning stat blocks like this for my DMing (from SRD monsters and my own NPcs I create) so it's much faster for me, would help me handle a larger party, and be quicker later on.

The Balor has a lot of 'stuff', so if you copy-paste it to use as a template, you can delete lines like 'Aura' and 'Spell-Like Abilities' that don't apply to your char.

the Balor has some abilities, like its True Seeing, 'written out' / 'described' at the end. Doing that for your own character's abilities (class features like smite evil, etc.) is optional. (I may later ask for ones I'm not familiar with to be written out.)

Since the Balor doesn't cast spells, an example (from Alustriel Silverhand) of spells is pasted afterwards.

Following its stat block, I copied a 'blanked out' one that may be quicker to use as a template.

I changed 'Treasure' to 'Equipment'. I recommend, as some players thoughtfully have, including the price of each item in parentheses.

Overall Nicci's stat block for Cecily is a good example of all this. It may be a useful copy-paste template for you since your character is likely to be dissimilar to a Balor.

The distinction between Special Attacks and Special Qualities is somewhat suggestive; the former tend to be things that require an action and are often offensive, like Smite Evil, the latter tend to be 'passive' abilities that are 'always on' and usually defensive in nature, like Evasion.

Filling out both Attack and Full Attack is not necessary, is one is usually pretty obvious from the latter (add or remove the iterative attacks).

Demon, Balor
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 20d8+200 (290 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 90 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 35 (–1 size, +7 Dex, +19 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+36
Attack:+1 vorpal longsword +33 melee (2d6+8/19–20)
Full Attack:+1 vorpal longsword +31/+26/+21/+16 melee (2d6+8/19–20) and +1 flaming whip +30/+25 melee (1d4+4 plus 1d6 fire plus entangle); or 2 slams +31 melee (1d10+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with +1 flaming whip)
Special Attacks: Death throes, entangle, spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri, vorpal sword Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good, darkvision 60 ft., flaming body, immunity to electricity, fire, and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, spell resistance 28, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +19, Will +19
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 25, Con 31, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 26
Skills: Bluff +31, Concentration +33, Diplomacy +35, Disguise +8 (+10 acting), Hide +26, Intimidate +33, Knowledge (any two) +30, Listen +38, Move Silently +30, Search +30, Sense Motive +30, Spellcraft +30 (+32 scrolls), Spot +38, Survival +7 (+9 following tracks), Use Magic Device +31 (+33 scrolls)
Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (telekinesis), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items, plus +1 vorpal greatsword and +1 flaming whip

Wizard Spells Per Day (4/6/6/5/5/5/4/3/4/4): Base save DC 17. Wizard caster level 22.
Sorcerer Spells Known (Cast per Day: 6/5; Base DC = 13 + Spell Level): 0 detect magic, detect poison, light,mage hand, read magic; 1st comprehend languages, feather fall.

Character Name
Race Classes
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice:
Initiative: +
Armor Class:  (+ Dex, + armor), touch , flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: + / +
Attack:
Full Attack:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Skills:
Skill Ranks:
Feats:
Alignment:
Equipment:

Tonalberry

Coolies, I'll get to work on trying to come up with a character.  And when you say 1st party stuff is fine, whereas 3rd party stuff isn't, I'm guessing that means only books released by Wizards are useable?

ff

Quote from: Tonalberry on November 22, 2010, 02:19:24 AM
Coolies, I'll get to work on trying to come up with a character.  And when you say 1st party stuff is fine, whereas 3rd party stuff isn't, I'm guessing that means only books released by Wizards are useable?

Yes.

There may be exceptions (I think the 3rd ed Dragonlance Campaign Setting was actually written 3rd party then licensed or bought by Wizards, and it's well done). If you have something in mind, you can ask about it (but the answer will likely be 'no, and I haven;t even heard of it').

By far the most common 3rd party reference I see at Elliquiy is Book of Erotic Fantasy. It may be useful for ideas, but its crunchy stuff is kinda bad (and mostly based on a new 7th ability score) but if you would've wanted to use something from it, I probably know of an alternative with very similar flavor.

Kirinis

Groovy, I've got a Goblin Rogue coming down the pipes.

Tonalberry

Quote from: ff on November 22, 2010, 02:22:24 AM
Yes.

There may be exceptions (I think the 3rd ed Dragonlance Campaign Setting was actually written 3rd party then licensed or bought by Wizards, and it's well done). If you have something in mind, you can ask about it (but the answer will likely be 'no, and I haven;t even heard of it').

By far the most common 3rd party reference I see at Elliquiy is Book of Erotic Fantasy. It may be useful for ideas, but its crunchy stuff is kinda bad (and mostly based on a new 7th ability score) but if you would've wanted to use something from it, I probably know of an alternative with very similar flavor.

Eh, no, I wasn't planning on using that particular book.  This doesn't seem like the type of campaign for it.  And I can't think of any 3rd party books in particular I would have wanted to use, I just wanted to be sure.

Tonalberry

Oh, here's a question?  How do you feel about having a Warforged in Faerun?  Finding himself in a world not his own, having to deal with people who've never seen a creature like him before.

Tagan

Ah.  I'd love to play Dora again in someone else's game!  (Awakened Cat Druid that is, not the ex-familiar variant, as it's not quite canon.  (Though it is on the Wizards of the Coast website.)

Alternatively, I could reprise my very first Faerun character... Tagan.  Grey Elven Wild Mage/Ranger.

Things have changed quite a bit since second edition, but the character is still playable in 3.5

Pick your favorite, and I'll whip the sheet into shape!

Thanks!

ff

Warforged is okay. It could be somehow spelljammed / warped from Eberron. Or a reflufed Modron (in fact there's one such in another campaign I'm in).

Either sounds great, Tagan. I don't know of RtR had a selected timeline, but this one will be towards the end of 1371 (I also sometimes like to play PCs across multiple campaigns, at different levels). I suppose I lean a bit towards Tagan simply b/c I haven't gotten to 'meet' her yet and now you've got me curious (and wild magic is fun), but play whichever you prefer. 

Kolbrandr

Ugh, I'm tripping up where I usually do, itemizing equipment costs and all such things. Always a slog for me. I'll try to get that finished and my sheet posted in the next while.

Muse

Like this? 

Character Name:   Kelsie Shatterstar   
Medium Humanoid:   Human (Chondathan)
Hit Dice:       9d8+18=66
Initiative: +0
Speed: (30 ft.)   20ft. (Run X3)
Armor Class: 24 (+0 Dex, +10 armor, +4 Shield), touch 10, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/ +8
Attack:  Masterwork Mace or Masterwork Lance +9 for d8+2
Full Attack:  Masterwork Mace or Masterwork Lance +9 +4 for d8+2
Special Attacks:  Turn Undead 7/day at level 7.  Spells:  (6/6+1/5+1/4+1/3+1)
Special Qualities:  Bane of the Restless, Lathander’s Light, Creative Fire, Daylight  Domains of Sun and Renewal. 
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 18(22), Cha 18
Skills: Craft (Painter) 6+2+3(+2)=d20+13.  Diplomacy 8+4+2=d20+14.  Handle Animal 5+4=d20+9  Heal 6+6(+2)=d20+14   Knolwege: Local (Cormyr) 4+2=d20+6.  Knowledge: Nobilty 5+2=d20+7.  Knowledge: Religion 8+2=d20+10  Perform: Versatile 8+4+3=d20+15, Ride 12+0+2(+2)d20+16.  Speak Language 6.  Sense Motive 4+6=d20+10.  Spellcraft 6+2=d20+8. 
Langueges:  Chessentan, Chondathan, Common, Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnomish, Goblin, Orcish,
Feats:  Augment Healing, Initiate of Lathander, Improved Turning, Mounted Combat (Spirited Charge), Saddleback, Versatile Performer:  Dance, Sing, Strings.
Alignment:  Neutral Good
Equipment:  +2 Full Plate, +2 Shield, Kelsie’s Holy Medalion, (500)   Magic Bedroll, Magic Feedbag, Everfull Trail Rations. Everfull Mug
Non-Magical Equipment:  Backpack, Belt Pouch X2, Dagger, Flint and Steel, Healer’s Kit, Masterwork Artisan’s Tool’s: Painter, Explorer’s Outfit X2, Courtier’s Outfit with Jewelry and Signet, Shovel. 

Platinum (In Bocie Purse) 52   Gold 4, Silver 9, Copper 10. 

Kelsie’s Holy Medalion:  (19,000)
This rose quartz disk radiates a soft rosy glow (as per Continual Flame.)  It is on a sting of white ceramic beads. 
It provides +4 wisdom and the properties of an amulet of retributive healing. 
Devoting your life to healing is often a thankless job. An amulet of retributive hea¬ing ensures that if you tend to your allies, you are renewed in turn. 
When you activate your amulet, the next effect you use before the end of your turn that heals another creature's damage also heals you of an equal amount, as long as you could be healed by that same effect.
If the effect heals multiple creatures, you only gain the retributive healing once per effect.
For example, a human cleric casting cure light wounds on an ally after activating this amulet would gain the same amount of healing, but a human wizard casting repairlight damage on her warforged ally would not benefit from activating the amulet (since that spell only affects constructs).

Name:   Morningmist
Warhorse: Cormyrean Destrier
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50’ (10 squares)
Armor Class 18 (+4 Armor, -1 Size, +1 Dex, +4 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Hoof +7 Melee
Full Attack: 2 Hooves +7 Melee (d6+5) and 1 Bite +2 Melee (d3+2)
Space 10’, Reach 5’ 
Special Qualities: low light vision, scent, grants rider +1 to ride checks. 
Saves: Fort +7, Reflex +5, Will +3
Abilities: Strength 20, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills:  Listen +6, Spot +5
Feats: Endurance, Run
Gear:  Masterwork Military Saddle, Saddlebags, +1 Studded Leather Barding

Kirinis

I'll update this post with his background story as soon as I'm done with it;

Character Name: Dokri
Goblin Rogue 9
Small Humanoid - Goblinoid
Hit Dice: 9d6 (34 HP)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class 21 [+4 Armor, +1 Size, +6 Dex], Touch 17, Flatfooted 21
Base Attack/Grapple +6/+3
Attack: Adamantine Rapier +7 Melee [1d4/18-20 x2], Dagger +7 Melee [1d3/19-20 x2], Thundering Hand Crossbow  +13 Ranged [1d3+1d8/19-20 x2]
Full Attack: Adamantine Rapier +7/+2 [1d4/18-20 x2], Dagger +7/+2 Melee [1d3/19-20 x2], Thundering Hand Crossbow  +13 Ranged [1d3+1d8/19-20 x2]
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +5d6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Racial Bonuses [+4 on Moving Silently and Ride checks.]Small [+1 Size Bonus to AC, +1 Size Bonus To Attack Rolls, +4 Bonus to Hide Rolls], Trapfinding, Trap Sense +3 [Bonus To Reflex Saves & AC vs. Traps], Uncanny Dodge
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 22, Con 10, Wis 14, Int 16, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +15, Disable Device +9, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +15, Escape Artist +10, Gather Information +9, Hide +22, Knowledge [Local] +5, Listen +14, Move Silently +22, Open Lock +18, Search +15, Sleigh of Hand +20, Spot +16
Skill Ranks: Bluff 12, Disable Device 6, Diplomacy 6, Disguise 12, Escape Artist 4, Gather Information 7, Hide 12, Knowledge [Local] 2, Listen 12, Move Silently 12, Open Lock 12, Search 12, Sleigh of Hand 12, Spot 12
Feats: Combat Expertise, Blooded, Improved Feint, Leadership, Street Smart
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Equipment: Adamantine Rapier, Antitoxin x4, Acid x2, Boots of Elvenkind, Bullseye Lantern, Explorer's Outfit, Feather Token [Bird] x6, Flint & Steel, Goggles of Minute Seeing, Handy Haversack, Holy Water x2, Masterwork Alchemical Silver Dagger, Masterwork Cold Iron Dagger, Masterwork Disguise Kit, Masterwork Thieves Tools, Mithral Shirt, Potion of Cure Medium Wounds x4, Potion of Fly, Potion of Invisibility x2, Potion of Spider Climbing x2, Ring of Feather Falling, Smokestick x2, Thunderstone x2, Thundering Hand Crossbow

Background:
Life was a cutthroat existance in the bogs of Vaasa, at any minute one's life was forfeit either to the strong or to the environment which ate goblins unwary and less so with equal vigor.  As a child of the Coldtree Tribe, Dokri lived such a life and internalized the lessons well.  The world would not grant any favors that he could not wrest for himself.  Being fed and not beaten required a sharp and cunning mind.  Whomever was strongest had the right to rule and all others to serve until they could overthrow the strongest.

Dokri realized that dominance in Vaasa was a very short-lived creature.  There was something that got you regardless of how careful one could be.  As such, it was foolish to attempt to thrive in the hard lands of Vaasa.  The first opportunity he found, Dokri fled the bogs and towards civilization.  However as a goblin, life was hard in the civilized cities.  Ill-trusted and harried by zealous citizens eager to exterminate him, Dokri grew in stealth and cunning in order to survive.

As he grew into his skills, Dokri gradually moved south from the Moonsea through various cities before finally ending up in Cormyr.  Dokri has established himself as a small-time facilitater in the  Cormyran underworld.  There was no task too small or dirty that Dokri would not do.  As such, he earned coin and created a comfortable life there in Suzail.  Dokri is mindful to keep his head down, particular during the Goblin Wars where a goblin roaming the captial would be less than appreciated.

The current situation in Cormyr is an excellent opportunity to fatten his pouch again as chaos roams through the streets of Suzail.  This is indeed a most profitable time to be alive.

NicciKotor

For any one who is wearing medium or heavy armor, there is a super useful magic property in the magic item compendium. It's called magical armor. It is a flat 2000 gp, where as a standard action you can 'summon' your armor on and off of your body. When you are not wearing it, it will just lay there in your bag or in your room.

You have to be in the same plane with your armor to get this to work, so not that big of a negative. If you get portaled into another dimension, then that is a small concern for now.

Book of erotic fantasy has some useful things in it. The celestium material for armor is quite good. Some of the base races are decent as well. Kundala is a interesting variety on the monk.

Since I went for adamantine longsword, I went and got power attack in order to get improved sunder. Since cleaving a +1 magic weapon with one swipe is just precious.

Having ten feats is just so silly.

AtwasAwamps

Hey there! Posting a character bio and general build notes as I work on the sheet.

Bio:

CONCEPTION: THE SIEGE
Nobody talked about it anymore. Nobody wanted to.

The battle had started like any other…an order of paladins defending a fortress against a brutal orcish assault. The paladins were outnumbered, of course, but that was no new development for the holy warriors. They were a small but unique order dedicated to Tempus…dedicated to turning the arts of battle to the good of man-or-what-have-you kind. Hence they had journeyed here, to where they had heard tell of an orcish attack that would have left many bodies of innocents in its wake.

The battle was at a standstill when a figure in black appeared amidst all of it, jamming its staff into the ground and rending the earth with a cry of power and fury. Within moments, what was a battle between two sides became one between three, as a slew of fiends came crawling from the depths to assault both the orcs and paladins.

A hasty alliance was made as the orcs found themselves trapped in the secure fortress with their former foes and the siege began.

The siege lasted for months before the last fiends were eliminated in a concerted rush. In honor of their fallen friends and enemies alike, the orcs retreated to their homelands while the paladins did the same. No one spoke of what happned in the fortress during those months…tales of heroism came forth eventually, of course, but there are other sides to siege…things done that no one speaks of. Moments seized when all seems lost…moments created by two people giving into loneliness and terror and seeing their own mortality far, far too close.

In a few months, a female orc named Oranka discovered the results of such a moment.

She named him Dakkath.

BARBARISM: FIRST LOSSES

Dakkath’s childhood was neither cruel nor kind. Orcs expected their young to keep up and Dakkath’s human blood did not make him an exception to the rule. He was trained ruthlessly, constantly…he was given no quarter, asked for none, and gave none when pitted against the stronger, more brutal youths of his clan. He held his own, though never matching them in their raw force and rarely coming out on the winning side of fights.

As he grew older, his thin orc blood grew more and more apparent. His skin was lighter than the others, his muscular body strong but never stooped. Oranka joked that he had more of his father in him than she’d had, as the boy grew up to be quite an attractive half-orc…his face bore the tell-tale heavy brow and pronounced lower jaw, but not to the extreme that many faced, and the rest of his countenance was considered handsome by what traders were willing to brave the orc’s encampments. In his teenage years, young Dakkath found himself shoved to the forefront of such trading excursions, his attractive appearance and more amicable demeanor leading to increased trading prospects for the clan.

A capable warrior and by default the tribe’s only diplomat, Dakkath’s life was good as he began adulthood. Many wondered whether he would be content to stay with the tribe or whether he would seek his fortunes in another country…he was a powerful enough warrior and with his ready wit, he could be quite an asset to a military or mercenary group.

Unfortunately, that question was never answered.

The tribe’s leaders heard tell of a figure in black that had appeared on the outskirts of their territory. A familiar figure…one that had last been seen almost twenty years ago during the siege that had resulted in Dakkath. It was time to settle a score.

Messages were sent to the temples of Tempus, seeking the paladins who had fought alongside the orc tribe years ago, offering them a chance to scourge the realms of the monster that both groups reviled. But the orcs could not wait for their allies to arrive…they had to march, to hunt their target as fast as possible, before he could slip away or cause more havoc.

The tribe’s scouts tracked the dark figure to a canyon where it had apparently set up some kind of camp. Wardrums beating, the tribe marched forward, breaking into a run as they saw their target…saw the fiends he had summoned crawling out of the shadows to meet them. Orc collided with monster, axe with flesh, claws with skin, as a battle was joined with two sides equally as rage-bidden as the other.

The orcs were outnumbered and more fiends were flowing out of the walls of the canyon. Had it been an ambush? Had the dark man known they would be coming? Dakkath watched helplessly as his clanmates…his brothers…even his aging but still warring mother…fell to the claws and weapons of the hellish nightmare that advanced on him. Screaming in fury, he and his last few comrades hurled themselves into the gap left by his mother’s falling, their weapons flashing, their bodies soaked in blood.

The last thing Dakkath remembered were the sharp pain in his side, the impact he felt as his body fell atop his mothers, and the sounds of a warrior’s battlehorn, echoing off the walls of the canyon…but neither orcs nor fiends carried such instruments to battle…

HOLY WARRIOR: NEW LIFE

When Dakkath awoke, his mind assessed the situation rapidly.

First, he was naked. This was how he usually awoke, so it was not a major impasse. However, he was covered in bandages and it hurt to move.

Second, he was not in a tent or yurt, but in a room of what looked to be a stone building. He lay not in furs and skins, but in a bed.

Third, there was a man watching him. The man looked oddly familiar, but Dakkath had never seen him before. In the strange man’s hand was a lion-fang pendant…Dakkath recognized it as the one his mother always wore.

“You’re awake,” said the man softly, reaching out to touch the half-orc’s brow carefully. “That’s good. I was worried for a bit. They didn’t know if you’d make it.”

Dakkath sat up…gingerly, and looked at the man for a long moment, unable to form words to the question he wanted to ask. Finally, he found his tongue.

“Who are you?”

The man smiled slightly and held out a cup of water, which Dakkath took gratefully.

“I’m your father. What’s your name?”

They shared their stories in their own time…the paladin, named Drayson, wanted to know all about Dakkath’s life amongst the orcs and how he’d faired amongst his mother’s people. Dakkath told him everything and Drayson listened without judgement or disapproval. He then apologized to his son for leaving him fatherless…he had no idea till he’d seen Dakkath lying on the field, barely alive, shielding Oranka’s body, that he even had a son. He’d recognized Dakkath’s eyes as his own and had brought the wounded half-orc back to the temple. Dakkath was his tribe’s last known survivor.

“You are welcome to stay with us, son,” Drayson said, pressing the lion-fang amulet into the young half-orc’s hand. “We could use a warrior of your skills and you may find the faith to your liking...you were born of a battle, after all, and what else could show a mark of Tempus’ favor than that?”

Dakkath clasped his father’s hands and smiled, before toppling back onto the bed, exhausted. Sorrow lurked in him, at having lost the only family he knew, but here was a new beginning, waiting for him.

HELLREAVER: THE NIGHTMARE OF FIENDS

The battlefield was strewn with ichor and severed limbs, twisted and shattered under the force of the blade wielded by the figure surrounded by strange smoke. Clad in spiked armor, Dakkath stood, facing the figure robed in darkness that had time and again haunted his past and present. The figure was gibbering, stumbling backwards, clutching the stub where its arm had been. Dakkath recognized the face…an orcish shaman that had been banished from the tribe he’d grown up with. The man who’d summoned the fiends that had surrounded and slaughtered his father and his men as they fought off a bandit incursion. The man who was responsible both for his birth and the death of those who birthed him.

The half-orc raised his hand to his neck, drawing out two amulets that rested against the mithril steel of his armor. One, a set of lion’s fangs, arranged in a sunburst. The other, a forged steel shield and sword, the symbol of Tempus.

“My parents would be proud,” the half-orc sneered. Like justice unstoppable, he crossed the floor, barreling through a last ditch spell from his target as his falchion came cleaving downwards, the curved blade whistling through the air and cutting off the summoner’s final scream as it split his skull…and jaw…and ribcage…the mighty blow ending only when the blade had cut halfway through the foe’s body. With a wrench, Dakkath pulled the weapon free and smiled, tucking the symbols of his parents back under his armor and nodding in satisfaction.

“Never again. Not to anyone, not anywhere, not anyway,” he said, softly and grimly to the battlefield around him. “No more. I will make hell fear me.”

---

Okay...that's really long...sorry...

BUILD OUTLINE:

Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1 (Complete Champion)/Paladin of Freedom 4 (Unearthed Arcana, Half-Orc Sub levels from Races of Destiny)/Hellreaver 4 (Fiendish Compendium II)
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention;
A kingdom for a stage, princes to act
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene.

William Shakespeare, Henry V, Prologue

Please Check My A/A - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79643.0

Tackyhillbilly

Arivel Durvesh
Human Factotum 9
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 9d8+18 (62)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 Dex, +5 armor), 12 touch , 19 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +6 / +8
Attack: +1 Seeking Longbow +8 [1d8+2/20 x3], Masterwork Greatsword +8 [2d6+1/19-20 x2]
Full Attack: +1 Seeking Longbow +8/+3 [1d8+2/20 x3], Masterwork Greatsword +8/+3 [2d6+1/19-20 x2]
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Inspiration: 20, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding, Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense, Cunning Strike, Oppurtunistic Piety, Cunning Surge
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills: Appraise +6, Balance +12, Bluff +8, Climb +6, Concentration +2, Deciper Script +6, Diplomacy +21, Disable Device +6, Disguise +4, Escape Artist +6, Forgery +6, Gather Information +6, Handle Animal +4, Heal +1, Hide +17, Intimidate +17, Jump +12, Knowledge Arcana +10, Knowledge Architecture and Engineering +6, Knowledge Dungeoneering +6, Knowledge Geography +6, Knowledge History +6, Knowledge Local +10, Knolwedge Nature +8, Knowledge Nobility and Royalty +10, Knowledge Religion +10, Knowledge The Planes +6, Listen +1, Move Silently +6, Open Lock +6, Perform +4, Ride +6, Search +6, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +8, Spellcraft +8, Spot +1, Survival +5, Swim +6, Tumble +18, Use Magical Device +15, Use Rope +6
Skill Ranks: Appraise 1, Balance 5, Bluff 1, Climb 1, Concentration 1, Deciper Script 1, Diplomacy 12, Disable Device 1, Disguise 1, Escape Artist 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Handle Animal 1, Heal 1, Hide 12, Intimidate 12, Jump 5, Knowledge Arcana 5, Knowledge Architecture and Engineering 1, Knowledge Dungeoneering 1, Knowledge Geography 1, Knowledge History 1, Knowledge Local 5, Knowledge Nature 1, Knowledge Nobility and Royalty 5, Knowledge Religion 5, Knowledge The Planes 1, Listen 1, Move Silently 1, Open Lock 1, Perform 1, Ride 1, Search 1, Sense Motive 5, Sleight of Hand 1, Spellcraft 1, Spot 1, Survival 5, Swim 1, Tumble 11, Use Magical Device 12, Use Rope 1

Feats: Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration
Alignment: True Neutral

Equipment: +1 Seeking Longbow (8400 gp), Masterwork Greatsword (350 gp), +2 Mithral Breastplate (8200 GP), Cloak of Resistance +3 (9000 gp), Ring of Protection +1 (2000 gp), Necklace of Natural Armor +1 (2000 gp), Bag of Holding Type II (5000 gp), Bedroll (1 sp), Crowbar (2 gp), Flint and Steel (1 gp), Grappling Hook (1 gp), Rope, Silk 100ft (20gp), Tent (10 gp), Thieves Tools (Masterwork) (100 gp), Musical Instument (Masterwork) (Lute) (100 gp), Holy Symbol (Silver) (25 gp), Healer's Kit (50 gp), Disguise Kit (50 gp), Climber's Kit (80 gp), Bit and Brilde (2 gp), Saddle, Riding (30 gp), Horse, Heavy (200 gp), Trail Rations x10 (5 gp), Waterskin (1 gp)

Sources
Factotum Class: Dungeonscape
Feat: Font of Inspiration (Wizards.com)
Spells: Nightstalker's Transforation, and Ruin Delvers Fortune (Spell Compendium

All not listed are from the SRD.
---

Like this?

Stupid Factotums needing 1 rank in all skills!

swordwind

So we have a large amount of PCs waiting to be judged right now....so how will we know if we have been selected and that the game will keep on rolling?

jisko888

I'll have my character up tomorrow night I hope. My copy of Complete Divine has somehow vanished off the face of the earth, and the cleric Prestige class I wanted + Some feats was in there >_< Might have a digital copy somewhere too...

ff

everyone

Two more lines to add to the template:

After the character name, a line for race and classes, for example:

"Imoen
Human Thief-3 Wizard-5 Arcane Trickster-1
Medium Humanoid (human)
..."

Also, after Skills, a line for Skill Ranks:

"
Skills: Jump +7, Tumble +9
Skill Ranks: Jump +5, Tumble +5
"

Keeping track of the ranks helps with keep tracking for level-ups, prereqs,synergies, general double-checking, etc. They're not part of the standard stat block but I find it quite helpful with my own chars. Also, under Skill Ranks, put the number of points you've put into Speak Language, if any, like Muse did.

Also, HP are the normal deterministic amount of max at first level, half after (rounding down first, then up, then alternating).

Also, Traits and Flaws are permissible (though not necessarily advantageous), if anyone was wondering. Variant classes probably are too, like the Human Paragon Muse used - but not any UA material that's actual changes to the rulesystem (the various alternate sytems).

Customized magic items may be asked about, generally okay things that are lateral switches (like a Flame Tongue which is a scimitar instead of a longsword and otherwise the same) or items which follow the price formulas such as the bonus-squared or uses-per-day formulae. For example, an item which combines two 'official' items and has the price of (price of greater)+1.5x(price of lesser.) Also for example, an item which casts bless weapon 3/day for 1,080 gp (=1800 * 3/5); note that casting the spell is a separate action from attacking with the weapon you use it on. If you do something like this, in the parenthetical with the item price, include a blurb on how you calculated it.

(Generally these won't be any better than the existing items; I'm not recommending it, just mentioning it.)

A kind of custom item which is frequently asked about and not a good idea are at-will / continuous items, such as at-will Cure Light Wounds or True Strike. (The custom item price formulae are guidelines, not rules or guarantees). Preexisting unlimited / continuous / at-will items in the srd / manuals are fine  (such as the energy resistance items which are effectively continuous Resist Energy of one type,  or the Ring of Feather Falling, or Ring of Freedom of Movement).

Muse

Don't forget the save mods! The template just left the +s in so people wouldn't have to reenter them, but after those go the char's modifier numbers.

Also please include 'Sources' like I mentioned before. Is Kelsie's Holy Medallion a combation of several items? Is the Cormyrean Destrier statistically different from other warhoses?

Kirins

How'd you get 9d6 = 54 HP?

Tackyhillbilly

I don't think Factotums have to put a rank in each skill (a 1st level one likely would've even have enough points). They have all skills as class skils, which means they can (without the cross-class 1/2ing).

If they have a class feature which lets you be considered 'trained' in each skill, I doubt that requires putting ranks in (and you don't have to write the mods for skills you didn't put ranks in).

And don't forget an equipment list (with the prices of items in parentheses).

swordwind

When you know, you'll know you know.

Tackyhillbilly

Cunning Insight, the class ability you speak of, requires 1 rank in the Skill. So no, you don't need a rank in every skill, but it is wise to have one.

NicciKotor

Also, HP are the normal deterministic amount of max at first level, half after (rounding down first, then up, then alternating).

I have no idea what you are saying here. How do you alternate a 5 on a d10 roll?

ff

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 23, 2010, 06:25:54 PM
I have no idea what you are saying here. How do you alternate a 5 on a d10 roll?

10 5 6 5 6 5 6 5 6 5....

The average of a d10 is 5.5, since it's 1-10 and not 0-10, so rounding down is 5 and up is 6.

Kirinis

Readjusted my hitpoints, I was under the mistaken impression that HP were based on maximum value of the dice possible.  So I changed it to your specifications.

Tackyhillbilly

FF, that what you were looking for in an equipment list?

ff

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on November 24, 2010, 12:04:41 AM
FF, that what you were looking for in an equipment list?

Yep, just like that!

Also -

1. List race and class(es) on the line after name and before size/type, i.e.

"Human Factotum-9
Medium Humanoid"

2. Skill Ranks line after skills (a PITA for your char, I know.) In Skills itself, don't break out the ranks+ modifiers...but you may wish to keep those handy, either by pasting them below everything else (including Equipment and Sources) or in your own notes.

3. Sources. For wizards.com things like the Font of Inspiration, use a link or just say wizards.com (googling "Font of Inspiration site:wizards.com" will bring almost anything up).

ff

btw all - I'll be gone over most of Thanksgiving weekend, but after that will be ready when everyone else is.

Primarch

Name: Gideon
Race: Human
Class: Fighter (4)/Wizard (5)
Strength: 16 (+3)
Dexterity: 13 (+1)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Intelligence: 17 (+3)/wHeadband 21 (+5)
Wisdom: 13 (+1)
Charisma: 13 (+1)
HP: 56
AC: 19 (Touch 12, Flat footed 18)
BAB: +6/+1
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear
Roll to Attack: d20+9/+4       Roll for Damage: d8+7 (crit x3, range 20ft, piercing)
Fort: +5(+2)           Ref: +5(+1)         Will: +5(1)(+2)
Feats: Combat Casting, Iron Will, Still Spell, Spell Mastery, Magical Aptitude, Weapon Focus (Spear), Weapon Specialization (Spear), Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Transmutation)
Skills: Decipher Script 9(+3), Spellcraft 9(+3), Concentration: 9(+2), Jump: 7(+3), Intimidate: 7(+1), Ride: 7(+1), Knowledge (Arcana): 6(+3), Perform (Oratory): 3 ½ (+1), Diplomacy: 3(+1), Sense Motive: 3(+1), Escape Artist: 1 ½ (+1)
Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan
Equipment: (162 gp 4sp)
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear (11,002 gp, hardness 5, hp13, Bypass hardness less than 20)
+1 Masterwork Mithral Chainmail
(5,150 gp, +7AC, light armour, +4 Max Dex, -2 Armour Check Penalty, 20% Spell Failure, 20lbs, 20ft)
Bag of Holding, 250 lbs 2,500
Ring of Protection +1: 2,000gp
Headband of Intellect +4: 16,000 gp

Wizards Spellbook (15gp/3lb), Dull Grey Iuon Stone/w Continual Flame (175gp), Heavy Warhorse (400gp), Military Saddle (20gp), Spell Component Pouch (5gp/2lb), Tent (10gp/20lb), Winter Blanket (5sp), Everfull Trail Rations (300gp), Feed (x 10 5sp/100lb)

Spells per day:4/5/3/2
Spells Known:
0 Level: All
1st Level: Shield, Mage Armour, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, Protection from Evil, Reduce Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike
2nd Level: Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength, Blindness/Deafness
3rd Level: Displacement, Suggestion
Spells Mastered: 1st Level: True Strike, Shield, Mage Armour. 2nd Level: Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength

Familiar
Huginn
Raven, +3 Appraise for Gideon
Natural Armour Adjustment: +3, Int 8
Specials: Alertness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells.

Size/Type:    Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 5hp
Initiative:    +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class:    17 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +3 Natural), touch 17, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple:    +0/–13
Attack:    Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack:    Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Space/Reach:    2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:    —
Special Qualities:   Low-light vision
Saves:    Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities:   Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills:   Listen +3 +5, Spot +5 +7
Feats:   Alertness, Weapon Finesse

~~~~~

Reposted closer to what I think you're looking for. Also changed the HP to match the averages idea, as opposed to having used a dice generator...and added in my familiars stats.

Christopher28

Well, since you advertised in our other game, I thought I'd create a character for this one.

Basic idea: Randal Morn, human Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164814

It's late, so this is a placeholder... backstory to come later.

ff

Looks nice! If you'd like a suggestion for a Forgotten Realms deity, Lathander is analogous to Pelor (sun god; his clerics favor light spells and are especially anti-undead).

Gone for a few days...happy Thanksgiving everyone! Look for more next week!

Muse

Kelsie Shatterstar   
Medium Humanoid (Human: Chondathan) Human Paragon 3, Cleric 3, Morninglord of Lathander 3
Hit Dice:  9d8+18=62
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft. (Run X3)
Armor Class: 24 (+0 Dex, +10 armor, +4 Shield), touch 10, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/ +8
Attack:  Masterwork Mace or Masterwork Lance +9 for d8+2
Full Attack:  Masterwork Mace or Masterwork Lance +9 +4 for d8+2
Special Attacks:  Turn Undead 7/day at level 7.  Spells:  (6/6+1/5+1/4+1/3+1)
Special Qualities:  Bane of the Restless, Lathander’s Light, Creative Fire, Daylight  Domains of Sun and Renewal. 
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +11
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 18(22), Cha 18
Skills: Craft (Painter) +13.  Diplomacy +14.  Handle Animal +9  Heal +14   Knowledge: Local (Cormyr) +6.  Knowledge: Nobility +7.  Knowledge: Religion +10  Perform: Versatile +15, Ride +16.  Sense Motive +10.  Spellcraft +8. 
Skill Ranks:  Craft: Painter 6, Diplomacy 8, Handle Animal 5, Heal 6, Knowledge: Local (Cormyr) , Knowledge: Nobility 5, Knowledge: Religion 8, Perform: Versatile 8, Ride 12, Speak Language 6, Sense Motive 4, Spellcraft 6
Languages:  Chessentan, Chondathan, Common, Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnomish, Goblin, Orcish
Feats:  Augment Healing, Initiate of Lathander, Improved Turning, Mounted Combat (Spirited Charge), Saddleback, Versatile Performer:  Dance, Sing, Strings.
Flaws: Weak Willed
Alignment:  Neutral Good
Equipment:  +2 Full Plate, +2 Heavy Steel Shield, Kelsie’s Holy Medalion, Magic Bedroll (MIC 163-164),  Ever full  Feedbag, Ever full Rations. Ever full Mug (MIC 160)
Non-Magical Equipment:  Backpack, Belt Pouch X2, Dagger, Flint and Steel, Healer’s Kit, Masterwork Artisan’s Tool’s: Painter, Explorer’s Outfit X2, Courtier’s Outfit with Jewelry and Signet, Shovel. 

Platinum (In Bodice Purse) 52   Gold 4, Silver 9, Copper 10. 

Kelsie’s Holy Medallion
It provides +4 wisdom and the properties of an amulet of retributive healing (MIC 69-70). 
Devoting your life to healing is often a thankless job. An amulet of retributive healing ensures that if you tend to your allies, you are renewed in turn. 

Name:   Morningmist
Warhorse: Cormyrean Destrier (CoV 154)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (33)
Speed: 50’ (10 squares)
Armor Class 18 (+4 Armor, -1 Size, +1 Dex, +4 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Hoof +7 Melee
Full Attack: 2 Hooves +7 Melee (d6+5) and 1 Bite +2 Melee (d3+2)
Space 10’, Reach 5’ 
Special Qualities: low light vision, scent, grants rider +1 to ride checks. 
Saves: Fort +7, Reflex +5, Will +3
Abilities: Strength 20, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills:  Listen +6, Spot +5
Feats: Endurance, Run
Gear:  Masterwork Military Saddle, Saddlebags, +1 Studded Leather Barding

Tonalberry

So, I have an idea for a character, but it involves taking a race that not only has a level adjustment of +2, but also comes with 2 racial hit die, for a total ECL of +4.  Anthropomorphic black bear, from Savage Species.  2d8 racial HD, +8 str, +2 dex, +4 con, and +4 wis.  add in +2 natural armor, a base attack bonus of +2, +0 Fort, +3 Ref and Will, (2 + Int) x 5 skill points, and Darkvision 60 ft.  Would you say this is worth giving up four levels of barbarian?  I was thinking of going from barbarian, into Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior.

Muse

Can a bear gain benfits by turning into a bear? 

I don't know if you were adressing someone directly with that question, Tonalberry, but I've long held that people really loose out when they don't play barbarian all the way. 

Tonalberry

It wasn't to anyone in particular.  And it was originally a joke character I once made.  Anthropomorphic black bear, Bear Totem Barbarian, with the intent on becoming a Bear Warrior.  His name was Barry. :3  With the catchphrase "Rawr!  I'm a bear!"  But I was going to be a lot more serious with it this time.

Meh, I may not go barbarian.  In my opinion, Pathfinder barbarians are better, mainly because their rages aren't per day, but per round, and you could divide up how many rounds you use however you want.

Muse

*Drops his  head into his hands, shoulders shaking with laughter* 

That's horrible.  :) 

The race is pretty solid.  I'd love too see it played as someone of epic spirituality.  :)  Maybe even a paladin!   

Tonalberry

I had another idea, for making a barbarian/champion of gwynharwyf, or whatever the fuck her name is, from book of exalted deeds.  a barbarian with limited casting ability, and at 2nd level can cast while raging.  and since most of their spells are buffs or heals, and only go up to 4th lvl, a 14 wis is all I'd need.  and now I'm off to work.

Kate

are all positions taken ? (if so anychance for the title of the thread to change to - positions filled ?

if not can i join?

ff

Sure Kate, make a char.

I had teh same reaction to anthro bear bear warrior; the abilities are probably redundant (I didn't look up Bear Warrior specifically but usually alternate form effects replace, rather than add to, your racial modifiers).

Champion of Gwyn is a neat class.

Tonalberry

Actually, according to the bear warr class, when he rages, and then takes on bear form, which he can only do when he rages, the the stat bonuses he gets replaces those he gets while raging.  He still gets the +2 to will, and -2 to AC, but his stat bonuses change to +8 str, +2 dex, and +4 con.  and that's just for black bear, the weakest of the three.  so my anthro black bear bear warr would basically be doubling his racial stat bonuses whenever he turned into a black bear.  But, I'm not gonna go that route.  Giving up 4 levels of barbar just isn't worth it.  Maybe if the 2 racial HD from anthro black bear were d12s and not d8s.

Also, I can't seem to find the frickin' point-buy costs chart for point-buy ability generation.

ff

NicciKotor

I'm thinking about resurrecting one of my old character designs, that I haven't used in a year and a half. In savage species there is the Ghaele, chaotic good outsiders that can cast as clerics. With ALOT of spell-like abilities and powers.

http://anime-adventurers.net/books/Savage%20Species%20%28OEF,%20BM,%20WEB%29.pdf

Page 171.

What I do to spice it up is to ask myself a question, 'Why would a CG outsider want to come to the material plane in the first place?'. The immediate solution being that she is on vacation! She gets a vacation every 300 years of working on the job, and wants to visit the material plane for some fun and excitement.

If anybody asks on what she works on, well she just happens to work for the Bureau of Lost and Found. This is a Chaotic Good celestial plane, it would only be natural for them to be in charge of getting things both found AND lost. What better way to induce some chaos into those pesky mortals by making their socks and horses disappear for no good reason?

ff is more then capable of editing this 'monster' class to tone it done, since there is a lot there that is quite silly. Cure light wounds at will, seriously? Not being able to wear armor and having low hit die generation are quite big negatives as well.

One thing about outsiders that the rules never really nail. When a outsider dies they cannot be brought back with raise dead or resurrection, since their body and soul are one. Which is just fine and good but doesn't answering the problem of where the soul actually does go. Would she return to her native plane in the event of stabby death?

who149

Name: Dev'lan
Race: Elf
Class: Bard(5)/Fighter (4)
STR          15   (+2)
DEX         16   (+3)
CON         10   (+0)
INT             8   (-1)
WIS         12   (+1)
CHA         15   (+2)
HP:47
AC: 21 (Touch 12, Flat footed 19)
Base attack: 7/+2
Bastard Sword
Roll to Attack: +14/+10
Roll for Damage: d10+5 (+4) (18-20/crit x2)
Fort: +5        Ref: +8         Will: +6
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency : Bastard Sword, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword, Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword
Skills: Bluff +8(6), Concentrate +3(3), Diplomacy +12(5), Jump 0(2), Preform [String instruments] +8(6), Heal 2(2), Tumble 11 (8)
Languages Spoken: Common, Elvish
Equipment: 4,625 GP
+ 4 Bastard Sword,Breast Plate, Backpack, Bedroll, Bottle, Lamp (common), Mirror, Rope (50', silk) x3, Soap,Torches x1,Musical instrument, Scale merchant's, Spell component pouch
Spells:
Level 0: Light, Message, Prestidigitation, Lullaby, flare,  Summon Instrument.
Level 1: Cure Light wounds, Comprehend Language,  Feather Fall, Charm Person.
Level 2: Invisibility, cure moderate wounds, tongues
Spells a day:
0: 3
1: 4
2: 2

History

Dev'lan was once a traveling entertainer, keeping people's moral up as they went from place to place. Dev'lan even joined an adventuring team at one point, doing odd end jobs for them, such as negotiations and translation (only made possible by his bard magic).  Dev'lan traveled with them for almost a year, until a bandit group, led by a half-orc by the name of Dro'luk, attacked them while they slept. Dev'lan was out of magic energy for the day, and the only weapon that he found was a Bastard sword lying on the ground. He picked it up and attempted to save his companions, but to no avail, he was too late, the bandit leader, had already called a retreat, leaving Dev'lan as the only survivor.

Dev'lan went back to his hometown, never once letting that heavy sword out of his hand. He Trained in the art of combat, to make sure something like this never happened again. Dev'lan attempted to seek out the Bandit group that killed his companions, but he never found them. He single handily took out camp after camp of bandits, never finding the specific one. He went back home, and decided it was time to move on. He picked up his lute, and his sword and decided it was time to find a new group of companions to spend his days with.

Appearance/Personality

Dev'lan stands about 5'3", Is slender with a bit of muscle on him. His hair is loose and log that goes down to his buttocks, his face too very slender and smooth despite having a few cuts on it from previous battles. His eyes are an emerald  green, and have a gleam that when mixed with a sly smile, looks like a man without a care in the world.  Dev'lan always has the same smile and careless feel to him regardless how he really feels on the inside. He could by dying and still cheer everyone on with a bard song. Dev'lan feels as though its not his job to be happy, but to make everyone else happy. Dev'lan takes the teams motivation as his personal duty, so he is quick to blame himself if the team is down.

Dev'lan is very kind, or at least tries to be. He has a few slip ups, and times where he annoys or pranks his fellow party members for the sake of a few laughs, but nothing ever serious. Be is chivalrous and always helps a women or child in need.

Personality quirks (flaws and weaknesses)

He is very attached to his Lute, and Bastard sword. He can't bring himself to getting rid of them, regardless what other weapon or Instrument may fall in his path. He would get very upset if something were to happen to them.

His chivalry strikes him back a few times, for he finds it hard to bring himself to harming a women or child, regardless of how evil they are, or what they had done.

He has a fear of spiders, heights, and deep water as well. Going near any of these would be difficult for him.

----------

This is my character ^^

I would love to play this, it seems really interesting
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Ershin

Name:Toria Southwind/Marliir
ClassBeguiler 6 / Swiftblade 3
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 9d6+18 (52)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+4 Dex, +5 armor, +1 swift surge), 15 touch, 16 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+6
Attack: +1 Merciful Rapier +12 (1d6 + 1d6 + xd4{arcane strike}, non-lethal)
Full Attack: +1 Merciful Rapier +12/+7 (1d6 + 1d6 + xd4{arcane strike}, non-lethal)
Space/Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +10, Will +8
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16 (18), Con 14, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +12, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +18, Disable device +9,
Gather information +12, Hide +14, Knowledge Arcana +9, Move silently +11, Open lock +11,
Search +14, Sense motive +5, Spellcraft +16, Tumble +16, Use magic device +12
Skill Ranks:Bluff +10, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +12, Disable device +5,
Gather information +10, Hide +10, Knowledge Arcana +5, Move silently +7, Open lock +7,
Search +10, Sense motive +5, Spellcraft +10, Tumble +10, Use magic device +10
Feats: Mobility, Able Learner, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Arcane Strike
Alignment: Neutral Good
Spells: Beguiler Spells Per Day (6/7/7/6/4): Base save DC 14. Beguiler caster level 8
Equipment:

ITEM      PRICE      TOTAL      WEIGHT   TOTAL

Broom of Flying      (17000.0.0   17000.0.0   003   003
+1 Mithril Chain Shirt   (02100.0.0   19100.0.0   013   016
   L Easy Travel   (01500.0.0   20600.0.0
   L Called   (02000.0.0   22600.0.0
+1 Rapier      (02020.0.0   24620.0.0   002   018
   L Merciful   (06000.0.0   30620.0.0
ArmCyrs Adaptation Lest   (00500.0.0   33620.0.0
Gloves of Dex +2   (04000.0.0   37620.0.0      
Backpack      (00002.0.0   37622.0.0   002   020
   L Bedroll   (00000.1.0   37622.1.0   005   025
   L Tent      (00010.0.0   37632.1.0   020   045
   L Waterskin   (00001.0.0   37633.1.0   004   049
   L Soap      (00000.5.0   37633.6.0   001   050
   L Silk rope   (00010.0.0   37643.6.0   005   055
   L SpellComPouch   (00005.0.0   37648.6.0   002   057
   L Rations(3 day)(00001.5.0   37650.1.0   003   060

Background:

Toria was born in Arabel in the year 1343 on the fourth day of Alturiak, a little over nine months after her parents met at the festival of Greengrass the previous year, the gesture of the nobleman of the House Marliir handing flowers to a Calimshite resident of the city signifying more than the tradition of ushering in of the summer.
The baby girl was born out of wedlock, and thus while sharing the blood of the Marliir house, had no right to any of their lands, money or name, save from what support her father gave her while growing up. As such, Toria uses her mother's surname of "Southwind". When their tryst was discovered by a rival noble in 1348 looking for a way to either win favor over him or shame him, Toria's mother thought it best to protect the man she loved and returned home to Calimshan.

Young Southwind found it hard to grow accustomed to the desert winds and heat of Calimshan, though it was in no small part thanks to her father's donations accrued over her lifetime that a small trinket that, when attatched to her clothing, protected her from the heat. For some time however, the girl still complained about the sand. There is honestly no pleasing children.

By the time she was fifteen, Toria had taken well to the homeland of her mother, the pair still receiving money from her absent father in far-off Cormyr, much to the displeasure of his wife, whom he had married some years before more for political reasons than affection.
While on the subject of affection, the teenager had begun to have feelings for a member of a group of youths she usually accompanied by the name of Rois Dawnfast, to her an excellent swordsman and tutor, a companion with whom she had shared many a night talking and no more than one or two quick kisses as the pair were still awkward and unwary on the subject of love.
It was during this time of butterfly kisses that the pair were recruited by the Harpers, one of their agents having witnessed them aiding in the capture of a wanted criminal, a thief that had stolen a great deal of money the day before. Toria and Rois seemed to work perfectly in unison, she managing to call upon magic to dizzy and halt the thief, while he using non-lethal force to subdue and capture him. It was only sheer luck, thanks to Tymora Toria supposed, that they had been in the right place in the right time, and her keen-eyed beau had seen posters of his likeness around the city.
Of course, one act hardly makes anyone truely worthy to join the Harpers, but it did allow the agent to narrow in on the pair, choosing to stay to moniter them further to see if they might live up to the ideals and standards of the organisation.

In time, their mettle was proven through word, deed and reputation in their community. The pair, and one or two others in their social circle, were formally invited to join the organisation. To be trained as valiant upholders of balance and that which the group considered good. With her mother's blessing, Toria left the sand-infested lands and headed north to a more lush, green environment to be trained alongside Rois and others so that they may one day prove themselves true Harpers.

In 1370 when the Goblin War began in Cormyr, Toria's superiors in the Harpers sent her to protect the land of her birth. With the general autonomy granted within the group she broke off from the companions she had arrived in the country with, choosing to direct any aid she might give toward the defence of the lands in and around Arabel along with her father, while one or two joined her most went to other parts of Cormyr to bolster defences of other townships and communities. Though the aid provided was greatly limited in relation to the invading hordes, Cormyr's army prevailed and the Elf-Dragon and its horde defeated, as the cost of the king's life along with many of the citizenry. During the time of the conflict, Toria was always thankful to Tymora that Rois had not been assigned to go with her.

SOURCES;
Beguiler   -   PHB2         P  9
Swiftblade   -   Wizards.com/dnd      (see above)
Able Learner   -    Races of Destiny   P150
Arcane Strike   -   Complete Warrior   P 96
Easy Travel    -    Magic Item Compendium    P 10
Called          -    Magic Item Compendium    P  9
Weapon/Armor crystals - MIC,          various
Shiftweave     -    Magic Item Compendium   P133

ff

who:

thanks for submitting; please see the info in the first post (and scattered throughout my replies to others) about the more 'compact' stat block form

Ershin:

looks excellent! Nicely formatted stats and sources ,and interesting bio. Like the use of one of the noble houses and other setting elements (Harpers and Tymora).

NicciKotor:

You could also make such a character an Aasimar or Half-Celestial and keep the same story; some mixed human-celestial children grow up on the outer planes rather than the Prime, and could easily serve as divine agents in the same way as 'regular' celestials. That would also get around the outsider resurrection thing (I believe Native Outsiders, which both aasimars and half-celestials usually are, can be raised as normal).

everyone:

we're basically ready to start...but does anyone have suggestions about the god or goddess  to choose for the temple where the campaign will open?

Tagan

How about a shrine to Mystra, or a sacred Grove or Pool of Meiliki?

Tackyhillbilly

The closest thing Arivel would have to a goddess is Tymora, so throwing her name in the ring as well.

By the way, FF, Arivel's BG is on his Mythweavers sheet. You want me to move it to the post with the Statblock?

Muse

Well, I'm a bit partial.  ^_^;;  But the temple of Lathander in Eveningstar is one of the major temples in Cormyr.  (And there's all those winged cats in the area.  :)  )

Primarch

Kirinis

Tymora or Mask, those are the probably the closest ones that Dokri doesn't pay lip service to.

swordwind

ff

Neat suggestions so far.

Nicci, I meant ot add in my last reply - if you play an Aasimar but don't think its +1 LA is worth it, or don't want to take the +4 LA of a half-celestial, WotC's Savage Progressions article series has some alternatives:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp

they have a LA 0 version of the aasimar (less racial abilities, with a one-level 'class' to gain the others, but you can always just stay with the LA 0 version), and also a 4-level 'class' that breaks down the half-celestial's +4 LA into individual levels which each confer some of the abilities. 

Ershin:

Adding the Merciful property to a +1 weapon costs 6K, not 4K. (1 +1 weapon is 2K = 2K*1^2, and a +2-base-price-bonus-equivalent weapon is 8K = 2K * 2^2, for a difference of 6K.)

Ershin

I think my vote's going to go to either Tymora or the Red Knight. Probably Tymora.

NicciKotor

If I were to go with celestial template, I would go Ghaele and their progression in savage species. Depends really on if this party has a dedicated healer or not. If so, then I might as well stick with Cecily.

Cure light at will would sure be useful, no?

I don't have the time right now to make her, maybe later tonight. Just wanted to see if ff was okay with the race progression in savage species. I would enjoy playing her most, since she would have a limited grasp of what is 'acceptable' in the material plane. Casual sex and nudity for her would be a requirement, since it is Chaotic Good.

who149

Fixed my character format a little. Hope its better, as for the god or goddess, lots to choose from. While a temple Istishia can make a few Puns on "being wet" which can be used for a good laugh
QuoteIstishia: God of elemental water, purification, wetness. True Neutral.
Of course I think Selune would be a good one.

Ons and offs!

Ershin

Quote from: ffAdding the Merciful property to a +1 weapon costs 6K, not 4K. (1 +1 weapon is 2K = 2K*1^2, and a +2-base-price-bonus-equivalent weapon is 8K = 2K * 2^2, for a difference of 6K.)

Oh! Sweet catch, complete and total brain fart on my part there, it seems my skills at subtraction were somewhat lacking when I wrote that. My apologies for any inconvenience.  Better divert funds from elsewhere to even that out a bit. Hum... I'll remove the weapon crystal and the shiftweave leaving 349.9 left over. I'll miss the five-outfits-in-one property of the shiftweave, but it's probably more thematically important for a Harper to have a merciful weapon than pretty clothing, as far as I can make out from their philosophy.

NicciKotor

Julia Stormfeather

Level 9 Ghaele
Medium Outsider
Hit Dice: 7d8+14=49hp
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 feet
Armor Class 21 = 10+5dex+5 natural armor+1 dodge
Touch AC/ Flat footed: 16
Base Attack/Grapple:+7/+10
Attack:+1 longbow; +13 attack, 1d8+1d6+4 dmg
Full attack: +1 longbow; +13/+8, 1d8+1d6+4 dmg
Space/Reach:5 feet/ 5 feet
Special attacks/abilites:Lesser gahele powers at will: aid, alter self, color spray, comprehend languages, continual flame, cure light wounds, dancing lights, detect evil, detect thoughts, and see invisibility.

Protective Aura
Tongues
Alternative Form
Resistance 5(acid, cold)
Immunity(electricity, petrification.)
Gaze Attack

Ghaele powers: 1/day: chain lightening and wall of force. 3/day: charm monster, dispel magic, hold monster, improved invisibility, and major image.
Saves: 9/12/12
Abilities:16-18(20)-14-16-18(20)-16
Equipment:
38000 gp
Bag of holding - 2500 gp
Necklace of wisdom + 2 - 4000 gp
gloves of dexterity +2 - 4000 gp
+3 compound +1 magic longbow with electricity crystal -
5000+300+150+300 = 5750gp
Slippers of spider climbing - 4800 gp
Cloak of Resistance +2 - 4000 gp
ring of mystic defense - 7500 gp
ring of the 4 winds - 2000 gp
3450 gp left
Spells:
spells per day: 6-6-5-4-3-2

0: Detect magic(3), Create water(3)
1: Shield of faith(2), doom(2), Sancturary, conviction
2: Bulls strength, bears endurance, owls wisdom, hold person, cure moderate
3: dark fire, meld into stone, cure serious, prayer
4: cure critical, shield of faith, mass. Dragon breath
5: flame strike, righteous wrath of the faithful
Feats: point blank shot, precise shot, improved spell like ability(chain lightening), dodge, mobility, improved natural armor.

Ghaele - savage species
Ring of the 4 winds - MIC
Slippers of spider climbing - MIC
Ring of mystic defense - MIC

(Whew taking a break)

ff

The ghaele monster class is far, far too strong. They compressed it into 20 levels but ghaeles have 10 HD and no listed level adjustment - which means their ECL would be >20. And even within those 20 levels, the monster class it too frontloaded. After 5 levels it has +2s to four different stats, the protective aura, and lots of other stuff like the 50' speed and spells, and doesn't even have a level adjustment yet. Oh, and 5th level cleric casting. Outsider HD themselves are quite good, with full BAB, three good saves, and 8+Int skill points.

At 5th level you have the casting of a 5th level cleric, and with fighter BAB, monk saves, rogue skill points, and tons of special abilities. Why would anyone play an actual cleric from level 1 instead of taking 5 levels of this and then multiclassing back into cleric (or a cleric-casting PrC) to continue the spell progresssion?

Also, lol, I noticed you gave her 9th level cleric spellcasting. I think it was intended to only equal their HD (their character level, not effective character level) - still too strong, but just saying. Compare her sheet to the other two clerics we have and you'll see the balance issues I'm talking about.

Storywise, you can have exactly the same thing by turning Cecily from a a human into a LA 0 aasimar, or making Julia an aasimar cleric. Or give either characters a few levels of the half-celestial class. She can still be from a Chaotic Good plane; I recommend Brightwater if you have in mind a cultural upbringing of free love and nudtiy and such (the goddesses Sune and Sharess reside there). Love the portrait.

That said, 'good find' in the sense that you ever want to play an (overly) powerful character with a DM who allows it, I'd recommend this class. (Esp. since as mentioned before, you can arbitrage it with a normal cleric by multiclassing after 5th).

Kirinis

Should I also stat out the henchmen and chief cohort for Dokri or do you have different plans for them?

NicciKotor

Quote from: ff on December 02, 2010, 01:39:11 AM
The ghaele monster class is far, far too strong. They compressed it into 20 levels but ghaeles have 10 HD and no listed level adjustment - which means their ECL would be >20. And even within those 20 levels, the monster class it too frontloaded. After 5 levels it has +2s to four different stats, the protective aura, and lots of other stuff like the 50' speed and spells, and doesn't even have a level adjustment yet. Oh, and 5th level cleric casting. Outsider HD themselves are quite good, with full BAB, three good saves, and 8+Int skill points.

At 5th level you have the casting of a 5th level cleric, and with fighter BAB, monk saves, rogue skill points, and tons of special abilities. Why would anyone play an actual cleric from level 1 instead of taking 5 levels of this and then multiclassing back into cleric (or a cleric-casting PrC) to continue the spell progresssion?

Also, lol, I noticed you gave her 9th level cleric spellcasting. I think it was intended to only equal their HD (their character level, not effective character level) - still too strong, but just saying. Compare her sheet to the other two clerics we have and you'll see the balance issues I'm talking about.

Storywise, you can have exactly the same thing by turning Cecily from a a human into a LA 0 aasimar, or making Julia an aasimar cleric. Or give either characters a few levels of the half-celestial class. She can still be from a Chaotic Good plane; I recommend Brightwater if you have in mind a cultural upbringing of free love and nudtiy and such (the goddesses Sune and Sharess reside there). Love the portrait.

That said, 'good find' in the sense that you ever want to play an (overly) powerful character with a DM who allows it, I'd recommend this class. (Esp. since as mentioned before, you can arbitrage it with a normal cleric by multiclassing after 5th).

I'll stick with Cecily then. I'll keep the ghaele around for any possible future games.

ff

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on December 01, 2010, 03:14:51 AM
The closest thing Arivel would have to a goddess is Tymora, so throwing her name in the ring as well.

By the way, FF, Arivel's BG is on his Mythweavers sheet. You want me to move it to the post with the Statblock?

Sure. Just put it below everything else. Also, put the stat block in the post 'normally', rather than as quoted text .

ff

Quote from: Ershin on December 01, 2010, 05:48:02 PM
Oh! Sweet catch, complete and total brain fart on my part there, it seems my skills at subtraction were somewhat lacking when I wrote that. My apologies for any inconvenience.  Better divert funds from elsewhere to even that out a bit. Hum... I'll remove the weapon crystal and the shiftweave leaving 349.9 left over. I'll miss the five-outfits-in-one property of the shiftweave, but it's probably more thematically important for a Harper to have a merciful weapon than pretty clothing, as far as I can make out from their philosophy.

Agreed. And handy if you need to take anyone alive for questioning. (Even if your allies are dealing lethal damage, a mix of lethal and nonlethal won't slay someone, unless the lethal happens to be enough to do it alone.)

who149

Question- I can't find this anywhere, but what are the rules/cost of higher level master-craft weapons/armor? I counted up my wealth, and I have a lot still... Plus I need better equipment, Preferably light ones that can still allow me to move a lot.

Any suggestions? 

Ons and offs!

Primarch

Quote from: who149 on December 03, 2010, 03:05:38 PM
Question- I can't find this anywhere, but what are the rules/cost of higher level master-craft weapons/armor? I counted up my wealth, and I have a lot still... Plus I need better equipment, Preferably light ones that can still allow me to move a lot.

Any suggestions?

You're probably looking for magic stuff more so then Masterwork.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Items
That should help.

who149

Quote from: Primarch on December 03, 2010, 03:23:14 PM
You're probably looking for magic stuff more so then Masterwork.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Items
That should help.

Thanks dude. Alright, let me get this straight, a +4 Magic weapon would cost 32,000 right?

Ons and offs!

Primarch

Well its 32,000 added to the price of the Masterwork weapon.

who149

Ons and offs!

Primarch

Quote from: who149 on December 03, 2010, 05:34:37 PM
ok, thanks so its 32,335 gp?

Depends on the item in particular, but there abouts probably.

who149

Quote from: Primarch on December 03, 2010, 05:44:10 PM
Depends on the item in particular, but there abouts probably.

Thanks dude. Amazing help.

Ons and offs!

Hunter

Can anyone suggest a flying race with a low or no LA?

who149

Ons and offs!

Tonalberry

Quote from: Hunter on December 03, 2010, 06:17:55 PM
Can anyone suggest a flying race with a low or no LA?

There's the Raptorans from Races of the Wild.  No LA, no stat modifiers, and they actually start out only being able to glide.  But since you'll be 9th lvl, you'll actually be able to fly.

Hunter

Quote from: Tonalberry on December 03, 2010, 09:02:38 PM
There's the Raptorans from Races of the Wild.  No LA, no stat modifiers, and they actually start out only being able to glide.  But since you'll be 9th lvl, you'll actually be able to fly.

Sounds like what I'm looking for, thank you.

Tonalberry

You're welcome.  That's the only natural race I can think of that grants flight.  There are templates, like the half-celestial and half-fey, that grant wings, but those are +3 and +2 LA's respectively.

Bayushi

I've been thinking of a Drow Priestess of either Eilistraee or Sharess.

Too bad the old 2.5 Specialist Priest kit for Sharess no longer works. ;D

ff

The 3rd edition version of kits is prestige classes or variant classes...I seem to recall a Sharess class but IIRC it was more of a bard than a cleric.

Clerics in 3rd also have Domains - this is very similar to the 'specialty priests' of 2nd edition (insofar as I remember them from Baldur's Gate II, my only exposure to 2nd ed). The Charm and Trickery domains would probably give you a very Sharess flavor. Feel free to make a character.

Muse

Sorry, FF, not to be contentious, but domains really are a poor substitute for specialty priests. 

Faiths and Avatars and it's sequels were the most amazing D&D supplements ever.  They presented a series of spiritual beliefs.  Then they presented ways in which a devoted follower of those beliefs progressed in powers that were revelations along that spiritual path. 

ff

If someone has the exact abilities, I can probably suggest ways to replicate most of them. (But there's absolutely no need to to have all the flavor of an archetypical priestess of Sharess.) I actually like the fact that clerics of the various deities aren't super different in their abilities; if they were, people would just play the ones they found mechanically advantageous rather than the god/dess they like the best.

Googling I find one 2nd ed stat block of a SPoS (specialty priest of Sharess) with the following:

"Special Abilities: Cast Suggestion in noncombat situations up to 3 times/day; Receives a +4 bonus to attack rolls and +2 bonus to damage rolls vs snake-like monsters (yuan-ti, hydras, evil nagas, etc); at 3rd level can cast Find Familiar, if successful always attracts a feline familiar of some sort; At 5th level able to Charm Person or Alter Self once/day; At 7th level can speak with felines of all sorts at will; At 7th level cab summon great cat 3 times/tenday to fight for him; At 10th level able to Charm Monster or Intensify Sensation once/day; At 13th level able to cast Memeory Wrack once/day; At 15th level able to undo curse of Girdle Of Masculinity/Femininity by touch."

Charm Person/Monster and Suggestion are on the Charm domain list I believe. There are some celestial cats and lions on the Summon Monster list. For an alter self like ability, Disguise Self is on the Trickery domain list, and-or a hat of disguise is cheap.