News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Whats in a Name??? Everything when one is online.

Started by Sherona, June 12, 2008, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Ok this discussion I had wtih someone was just interesting andI thought I would share, and get other peoples takes. To me choosing a screenname or a nickname is imperative when one is joining a forum or other site. Its people's first insight into you. Just like in real life your physical appearance is peoples first impression (no not n the shallow way) so you wouldn't want to go without baths/showers for long periods of time, go without combing your hair, or washing your face. This would put out to people yur a slob.

The same with a name on a forum. Having a name on a forum is how people will associate you wtih things. Example, if I were to sign up for Elliquiy wtih "Malicious maelvolent Sherona" That would make people think that i am Malicious and Maelvolent rather then the sometimes snarky, but hopefully helpful Sherona that I am.

I chose Sherona because the name is pretty (imo) and seems..softer then my real name, and really emphasises a gentle nature.

Cherri Tart

When i was in HS, some friends and I decided that we were going to be in a punk band.  We'll, we had the name and the clothes and really, pretty much everything we needed, except none of us were musicians.  Of course, that didn't stop us!  So, taking a que from the Ramones, we were The Tarts and each of us took on the last name of Tart... i was Cherri, obviously, cause i thought it was sexy and sort of cute and it has stuck with me thru the years - so, needing a sexy and kind of cute name for E, it was an easy choice. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

The nickname of The Hairy Heretic was bestowed upon me by a friend some years ago. Hairy, for reasons that would be obvious if you saw me .. not many guys around with hair down to their hips, and Heretic for my choice of wargaming army (Chaos, in everything GW puts out). I took it for my own, and have used it as a sign on in pretty much any forum I frequent.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MagicalPen

Silvestine was the name of the very first character I ever played...online, never played tabletop. Originally created for purposes of gaming etc, though he isn't a character I use very much anymore. For those i know not through gaming, and ask me how i came up with my name, I tell them its the initials of all my friends i left in England. The funny thing is, it works too! Sam, Ian, Leonard, Vernon, Ewan, Steven, Timmy, Igor (yes, i knew an igor), Nick, and Edward. Of course, its not all my friends i knew back than (Peter and Richard, for example, are left out).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Kye

Kyrsa is the name of my favorite character from a tabletop game that a friend ran a few years ago.  I had more fun playing her than I have with any of my characters since, she also helped me discover a number of things about myself that I didn't know.  Now she is my online persona for pretty much everything, though I don't use the actual character online at all, somehow I think that would diminish the character for me now *shrug* 

This is also the name I use when submitting my writing to publishing companies :P

Kalen

Kalen is, like many others, the name of a favorite character I had played, back on RPOL.  Even before that, I stole the name from a singer.  I wanted something similar to my own first name, unique and to the point, without getting overly complex or snooty.

Paradox

I originally used my real name. I prefer to be as honest and forthright in all areas of my life, so I applied that to this site as well.

After a while, I realized that using my actual first name wasn't such a good idea; consequently, I decided to use an abstract concept instead. It's the same reason that I don't use a person for my avatar. Instead of basing things on a picture or name of someone who I bear no relation to, I would much rather have the people here come to know me for the stories I write and the conversations we have.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caeli

I was trying to choose between my usual online alias, or some other yet-unchosen screen name, when I first wanted to register on this site. I wanted a name that reflected a part of my personality, but was also 'pretty' and 'innocent' - two words that, at least at this point in my life, describe me fairly well, as far as sexual experience goes.

I'm a romantic and a dreamer, and I don't try to hide it. I've also always had a fascination for skies, stars, and the heavens - I'm agnostic, and while I don't believe in any single religion, I do believe that there are gods out there. Eventually, with these thoughts in mind, I went hunting around on an etymology site, and came up with my name for Elliquiy.

Caeli is a shortened form of Caelestis, from a Late Latin name that meant "of the sky, heavenly."
Aisling means "dream" or "vision" in Irish Gaelic.

Thus, Caeli Aisling, or heavenly dreamer.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

WyldRanger

Xana Cenad was a bard in an adventure in 3rd Edition D&D, that we played for just over 3 years. And since this is mostly a roleplay area I decided this names would be perfect  :)

Captain Maltese

I choose Captain Calico because there's a certain Arrrrh. a rogue charm about i. Pulling a bit of rank, too.

Captain Calico is an actual, historical figure. Captain Calico Jack was a somewhat succesfull but to me more essential, colorful pirate. The name Calico is from the cheap, dyed cotton fabrics he had his clothes made for - apparently he was something of a parrot. But his bigger claim to fame comes from being the one captain that had two female pirates aboard that matched him in courage and then some; Anne Bonny and Mary Read. Read their full story at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_Jack and click on the names of the ladies too. The captain was eventually hanged while Anne spited him.

So....I didn't choose the name of a hero, or a winner, or maybe not the smartest man in the world. But he was an adventurer, he did bold deeds, evidently he had some charm with women, and he is remembered while all the honest heroes who fought for good in his day are forgotten. I like the old bandit.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

King_Furby

I probably should have used something else, but at the time i joined this site i honestly didn't think it was for me so i just used something i was famalier with so i would not forget. I had a small guild for a online shooting game were me and some friends all went with the furby theme as user names. But i did end of loving this place and i didn't want to change it after i was already established here. Not the usuall story but i do like this place.

The Great Triangle

I chose my name since I really like non euclidean triangles, and since using the name of a person would probably make people try to interact with me on a personal level.  :)

The "Great" part of the name recalls the Bermuda triangle, something I only particularly like because it happens to be a non euclidean triangle and a funny alternate location for R'yleh.  On the other hand, who doesn't want to be great online, and the GT nickname has something of a ring to it. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Tant de Tentation

'Tant de tentation' is a phrase I love for its meaning ('so much temptation'--sexy!) and its euphony (it's pronounced tahnt de tahntassyon, more or less, so it almost-sort-of rhymes).  It's also a frequent messenger handle I've used.  And it conveys my pretentious love of the French language. ^.^  And my pretension in general.
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

ShrowdedPoet

Well, my name here isn't as old as my name that I usually use.  The name I usually use is Raineyes, came from a poem that I wrote, about five years ago.  I had a friend even draw me a picture of Raineyes.  But recently, bout a year ago, I desided that name no longer fit me and ShrowdedPoet came to me.  Shrowded, because not very many people know me, no matter how long they're known me.  So I like to think I'm pretty shrowded in mystery.  And the Poet part is simply that I'm a poet.  I haven't written much in a while, been going through a horrible writers block for about 3 years.  But I'm working through it.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

chronosmaker

Guess I'll post.

I originally used Deathra or Deathra1990 for my activities. Wayyy long ago when I was like 8 or something and not very bright. I like egyptian things, as per the 'ra' and Anubis was taken so I just used death. 1990 is the year I was born. I went through a few other names, most never sticking before I got to Pyro Flammora, or PyroFlammora when spaces can't be used. It was a name given to me by a now gone friend(In the sense that she no longer talks to me...) but it stuck. I guess it was just cause of my love for firey things and given a small name like quality. Finally it changed to Chronos Maker, or in the case when no spaces are allowed, chronosmaker since remember upper case is annoying sometimes. Chronos because I always liked the concept of time, hence 'chrono' just followed by an s to give a name like quality, and Maker because I sucked at making names and I liked making things in any form, writing or not. And so far that one has stuck.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16570.0
(No I'm not going to make it fancy looking...)

Chris Brady

This is my real name.  My full name if Christopher V. Brady.

The V stands for Vaffa which I was told stood for 'fidelity' in a Middle Eastern tongue, which I don't know.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

HairyHeretic

Only if he gives us his bank details and social security number too, so we can confirm it's him  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ignaddio

Ignaddio was the name of an incidental character in "The Golden Key," a collaboration from Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson, and Kate Elliott. I'm not terribly good at names, so early on when I needed a name for a character I would open a handy but not mainstream fantasy book and pick one at random, so long as it wasn't a main character.

I've used the name Ignaddio for mostly artistic characters, so I figured it would make a good forum screen name for a forum requiring me to be creative.

Edit: Fixed a spelling error.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Gathering Wilderness

'Tis a line in a mournful and beautiful song by the band Primordial that I can recite almost word for word.

"You say you know me... I'm the poison in your veins.
My faith is not welcome here.. I break the young and the bold
There is a darkness here, you cannot imagine, you cannot fathom.
It speaks to me in tongues, can you hear it? Can you hear it!?"

"I've built my my tower of song with words as bitter, splintered bone.
Oh, gnarled and wretched, spiteful and harsh.
I've cursed the vermin, the vermin of the earth.
I've wished pestilence upon the foul and weak.
Not just men, but women and children too, with a rusted blade across their throats."

"I've played the tyrant's hand, against the rhyme and reason of fools
I've prayed to sickly children in their blackened cities of filth.
You say you know me? Do you? My faith, it is not welcome here."

"...The Wilderness is gathering all its children in."

"The ghosts of our pasts are gathered at the borders of every nation waiting to reign a terrible wrath upon us. Men's Hearts are turning.
Darker and darker as every day passes. Old Europe is changing, the world is changing. The Wilderness is Gathering its children in, there is
terrible maelstrom Gathering. Can you see it? Do you know it? Where shall you stand."

Ket

My name is rather simplistic actually.  It's just the old Norse form of my real name.

Composed of the elements ketill - meaning cauldron or kettle, and fríðr - meaning beautiful.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Apple of Eris

My name is sort of an ironic statement, I like entropy, i like the whole discordian joke/religion, and I like Eris.

I also happen to be a lawyer.

So I figured, what better name for someone who practices law than to be the arch weapon of a goddess opposed to law & order?

(Er... this applies to my normal name, appleoferis)

Dyslexic Squirrel, the name made while posting this, I have no idea where that came from, it just popped into my head this afternoon when I told my friend he 'had the mannerisms of a dyslexic squirrel'.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Cthulhu

When I register for a forum, I want to find people who are like me. So I chose a username that reflects what I like.

I love Lovecraft, so I chose a name other Lovecraft fans would recognise. If I'm lucky, in small communities like here and Roliana, Cthulhu is still available, if not, I go with "The colour out of space", as it's the title of my fave story by him.

Aelfric

While Aelfric is the sig I use most often for rp sites, it was not chosen for any particular reason aside from the fact that I enjoyed the sound of the name. Only later did I discover it's meaning, for which my fondness for it grew: Aelf(Elf)ric(King).

I do agree that much is couched in a name, and unfortunately for some, leads to assumptions regarding the person/quality/intent.

*grins*

Also for the record, when I first saw Apple's name, back when it was written without spaces, my mind crunched it into 'Apple-of-Fenris' for which her Anarchy-symbol avatar seemed most appropriate. 'Apple of Eris' is also nice though... ;)
You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Maeven

I actually echo Aelfric's reasoning here.  I've been using Maeven for a few years as a handle in various online environments.  I just liked the sound of the name: soft and gentle. It's a variation on the word maven of course.  I added the extra 'e' because I have this weird fondness for the look of the letter sequence 'ae'.  I cannot explain that.  Maybe its the upside-down symmetry of the two letters that I find intriguing...

Later I discovered the word maven derives from the Hebrew word for understanding.  And like Aelfric, I grew even more attached to the name.   
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule