McNair Elementary School: Because Sometimes There Is A Happy Ending

Started by TheGlyphstone, August 22, 2013, 12:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I just found out about this, and wanted to be able to express how happy it made me feel. If you hadn't heard about it, there was an incident on Tuesday where a gunman carrying an AK-47 broke into McNair Elementary School in Atlanta, GA, with expressed intentions to shoot cops and kids until he was killed. In the middle of the standoff, though, one of the clerks - Antoinette Tuff (totally living up to her name) - managed to talk with the guy, calm him down, and convince him to surrender. No one died or got injured, and the gunman was arrested safely.

This could have so easily been another Sandy Hook, possibly except for the bravery of one woman - definitely a heroine worth sharing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-elementary-school-clerk-recalls-terrifying-moments-gunman-surrendered-article-1.1432522

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/20/mcnair-elementary-school-gunman_n_3786109.html

Rogue

Damn... how come I haven't heard more about this! This woman deserves a medal. Sometimes trained professionals can't talk a gunman down.

Avis habilis

This is definitely congressional medal of something or other material. *nod*

Callie Del Noire

Sadly the lack of bodies.. makes for it not being newsworthy.

Rogue

I kinda really want to change that. :( Makes me sad that the lack of bodies make it less newsworthy when the lack of bodies is why it's so wonderful.

Oniya

I just shared it to my FB.  Kind of borrowed your phrase there as 'The lack of bodies shouldn't lead to lack of coverage'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 22, 2013, 01:33:51 PM

That's what I felt when I wondered why it hadn't gotten more coverage, but I didn't want to start the thread off on a bad/depressing note.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 22, 2013, 02:14:03 PM
That's what I felt when I wondered why it hadn't gotten more coverage, but I didn't want to start the thread off on a bad/depressing note.

It's sad when the 'action plans' end in the death of the gun man or better yet.. someone talks him down, we get little to no response beyond the local level, but we have 2 hour long 'new casts' detailing the death of every victim and every potential reason why a loon might do such an act.

Rogue

I've just posted this on my tumblr, if you don't mind Glyph. I really want something to be done about this and for her to be recognized. Anyways, talk to you guys later. Got the work thing.

TheGlyphstone

Not at all. Spread the word as far as you can, wherever - I'd like to see her get some recognition for this as well.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 22, 2013, 01:33:51 PM

I was going to say the exact same thing. 

I also shared the story on my FB page.  Maybe one day we will start hearing about more good things instead of the bad. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Moraline

Shjade

There's a youtube video up of the 911 call communications between Tuff with Hill and the police via operator.

It's here with another article on the story if you're interested.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.