Interest Check: Sorcerers’ Collegium (up to NC-E)

Started by Vandren, June 29, 2008, 02:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Mertyr, the Sleepless City.

The most well known of the northern cities that stretch across the edge of civilization.  Further north, only the wild tribes of the desert.  To the south, east, and west?  Civilization in the form of petty kingdoms, minor empires, and fledgling republics as well as the other city-states.

As a city built primarily on trade between the southern kingdoms and the desert tribes (sometimes even with the legendary nations beyond the desert), Mertyr is a cultural and social menagerie.  It is said to be constantly busy with licit and illicit goods passing between hands at all hours.

At the center of this bustling metropolis are three of the city’s most important powers: the Prince’s Palace, the Temple of Mertyri, and the Sorcerers’ Collegium.

The last is the most important for our purposes.

Anyone with sorcerous talent who desires to be capable of more than simple parlor tricks must attend the Collegium.  If they don’t want to leave the city at least.  Even then, the Collegium in Mertyr has the distinction of being the only institute of sorcerous education capable of supporting its claims of being open and staffed since the days of the Alatian Empire, some ten centuries ago.  It also has the distinction of carrying the most trophies at every Convocation of Sorcerers since official competitions were started over 230 years ago.  Needless to say, the Sorcerers’ Collegium in Mertyr has a reputation as the best in the civilized lands.

Of course, with all that sorcery and energy flying around, it isn’t exactly the safest place in the world.  And then there’s the internal politics.  And the external politics—many merchant and noble families would love to reduce the Collegium’s influence with the Prince, as might some of the temples.  And there’s the school’s private entrance to the catacombs and rumors of the Undercity below even that—places where vampires, liches, and dark sorcerers congregate in secret and consort with the city’s criminals.  Not that students, at least, need much help getting into trouble.  After all, what’s a week at the Collegium without continuing the time honored tradition of sneaking over the wall for a night on the town?
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The setting is a fairly typical fantasy world with a Renaissance level of technology (sans gunpowder).  More info on it can be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=71.0 (under the Mertyr thread, obviously; warning, the file's a big long)

I'm looking at freeform and there was something else, but I've forgotten what it was.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Krule

Can't quite manage to open the file.. but I do find this idea interesting.

Vandren

I just checked it and everything seems to be working fine - it's a pdf file in Acrobat 5.0 if that matters (should be viewable in everything 5.0+).  I'll try posting the MS Word version in a bit.

(Should all work now.  14:40 EDT, 1 July 08)

Ok, there doesn't really seem to be any interest, so I'll withdraw the check.
-- The files no longer work and the info's off the forum linked below
(22:09 EDT, 7 July 08)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei