Need help with a fantasy idea

Started by LamentingQuill, April 13, 2018, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LamentingQuill

I hope to the stars above that I picked the right thread.

Anyway, I need some help with an idea I am concocting... I need to figure out why in a world where magic and the supernatural is common knowledge, the mage and vampire royal houses are going to war on each other and have been doing so for years? Would could they logically been so passionately fighting over for so long that would make sense?

Oniya

Is vampirism a transmittable condition (i.e., vampire can choose to 'turn' a person), or is it something that's inherited (i.e., Mom and Dad were vampires, so Junior is a vampire)?  Similarly, is magical ability learned or inherited?  Could a mage become a vampire, or a vampire (through study) become a mage, and would this create a Problem?

Is there something that one group might have (probably a relic or tome of some sort) that would be highly valuable to the other group?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shores

I learnt in History class that countries generally go to war for three things.

Gold, God, and Glory.

You can read more of a detailed explanation here and form the reasons why from there.

TheLaughingOne

... to pile on onis idea...

Vampirism and magic are both.

Vampires are born pure bloods, stronger, faster, powers are more under control, and dont get hit with the thirst as hard as the are born with it, they learned control growing up and their systems are better adapted. While turned are second class of vampires, not treated like trash, but nkt as valued, overlooked for prospects, ect, as they arent as strong.

Mages come in the same. Born mages, their bodies more capable of handling magical energy thus can throw power like there is no tomorrow, and  learn discipline to use them from younger age, where "anybody" can learn magic, provided they stick with it, but they cant channel as well so tire out fast, dont have the discipline, or know as many spells.

War is cold war between vamps and mages, smiles and catty comments in public, fangs, fire, and folly in private, mainly kept on by bloodline mages and vamps giving orders to lowers while promising rewards.

Maybe both sides thinknthey are protecting humanity?

Mages are stopping vamps from turning humans into mindless cattle for them to feast upon, and while cant teach them all magic, can "intiate" them to help with rituals or such. They lend extra will, power, and so forth.

Vampires are stopping mages from turning humanity into mindless cultists as they make contact with thigs best left alone,  yeah, they feed on humans, but they like humans! The whole "im not a man, im a monster!" angsty crap is so gauche. They dont need to kill, amd save for a few psycho/sociopaths nobody really gets enjoyment from it. Happy healthy ad free humans produce richer more vibrant blood, and pretty much any vamp can go out to get "something to eat" with no problem.

Turns out they are both just really shitty racists to each other.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

LamentingQuill

Good imaginative idea, but not for me.

TheLaughingOne

fair nuff! just what came while having break at work, sorry doesnt fit what your looking for:(
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Spear80

An old relic is always a good bet. As was mentioned before. Maybe something belonging to ancients. (Mutual ancestors?)

Or like the Swift says; there could be bad blood, for whatever reason you can come up with. Maybe vamps ate someone dear to the mage leader in times past. or the Mage's lit a vampire leader on fire.

Also, it doesn't have to be an enlightened high and mighty reason. In our world, they used the excuse of a shot Austrian Prince to finally deal with all the old grudges, leading directly to the second act and the Cold war from there. The Troyan war, was about a wife fleeing an abusive husband. (or alternativly an adulteress, fucking up)

You could also go with outside manipulation, a third party profiting from the war. Might get you and interesting twist once revealed.

LamentingQuill

Got my dilemma solved, thanks for all the suggestions, folks! :)