A Cold Dark Night (World of Darkness) [Currently Full]

Started by GloomCookie, April 25, 2012, 10:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

A Cold Dark Night
A murder-mystery

New York, 2106.  As the United States descended further into a police state, the large cities like New York and Chicago were hit hard by escalating violence and crime.  Criminals, gangsters, mafia types, they came out of the woodwork every time the government squeezed a little harder.  For the officers of the NYPD, the escalation only made their impossible job even harder.  AS the city descended into chaos, it fell on the brave men and women in uniform to try and preserve the peace, at all costs.

GM's Corner: Hi guys!  I'm here with yet another system game, this one I might actually have experience with!  YAY!  This game is going to be fun because it's a murder mystery involving four officers of the NYPD, each with their own talents and strengths.  We will be using the core rulebook and I have copies so if anyone needs a PDF, come find me on Yahoo Messenger (username linnalanna@ymail.com) and we'll get you setup.  Basically what's going down is a major politico is going to get murdered, and it's going to set off a chain of events that will start to send a city on the brink of self-destruction right over the edge, and it's your job to stop it.  I am not enforcing any rules on character making except that you must be a normal human (no dwarves or kids) who can have any virtue or vice they want, any skill set they want, anything.  I'm going to ask that we only have one detective so that we don't get swamped with a bunch of gumshoes trying to run around gathering evidence, so please negotiate with other characters.

As far as character sheets go, all I'm asking for is you find a character picture and post it along with a link to your character sheets on Dalines

Character Creation Rules

• Attributes 5/4/3
  • Skills 11/7/4 (+3 Specialties)
  • Merits 7
  • Buying the 5th dot in any area costs 2 points
  • Health = Stamina + 5
  • Willpower = Resolve + Composure
  • Defense = Lowest of Dexterity or Wit
  • Initiative Mod = Dexterity + Composure
  • Speed = Strength + Dexterity
  • Starting Morality = 7
  • Bonus XP of 25 points (Core rulebook pg. 35 for how to spend)
  • Get a free point in the Merit: Status (Police)

Standard Equipment

• SW M640 (Lt. Revolver)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Flashlight
  • Pepper Spray
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Bloody Rose

Starlequin

It's been a whie since I've joined a new game, and WoD always gets my interest up. Will there be any supernatural badness about, or will things be kept strictly between homicidal sapiens?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Starlequin on April 25, 2012, 12:55:00 PM
It's been a whie since I've joined a new game, and WoD always gets my interest up. Will there be any supernatural badness about, or will things be kept strictly between homicidal sapiens?

For now, just between us homical sapiens, but that might change depending on how you guys fare.  I know someone's already asked for the role of Detective and I'm helping him with his sheet.
My DeviantArt

isambard

I should probably speak up here now :P I was rather unsporting and called the Detective spot..

Starlequin

Rokey-dokey. So what kind of spots does that leave? Uniformed beat cop, undercover, gangs/narcotics officer, SWAT? Or were you planning for one detective and everyone else from a certain rank, like 3 unis and a detective?

GloomCookie

Quote from: Starlequin on April 25, 2012, 01:05:42 PM
Rokey-dokey. So what kind of spots does that leave? Uniformed beat cop, undercover, gangs/narcotics officer, SWAT? Or were you planning for one detective and everyone else from a certain rank, like 3 unis and a detective?

I don't want swat, but we could have a VICE and maybe an undercover, which would be great.  SWAT really wouldn't be involved as anything but NPCs.
My DeviantArt

Starlequin

*laughs* I kinda figured SWAT would be out, actually; probably too much firepower. I just got a little list-happy. :P If its alright, I think I'd like to take the undercover spot...

Latooni Subota

I'm totally interested! :D

Edit: You know what could be useful? A crime scene investigator. A little medical knowledge and science goes a long way.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Latooni Subota on April 25, 2012, 01:21:02 PM
I'm totally interested! :D

Edit: You know what could be useful? A crime scene investigator. A little medical knowledge and science goes a long way.

Bloody Rose told me she's interested, so talk to her and see what she wants to do.
My DeviantArt

Latooni Subota

Hrm, so right now we have a detective and undercover, and something like SWAT is not wanted. Leaves us with rolls like vice, CSI, and stuff. I need to head out soon to get some blood drawn, but if Blood Rose doesn't post here before I get back, I'll PM her about roles.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

isambard

Is there going to be a character thread, or do we just post the stats and photo with the first IC post?

Bloody Rose

Starlequin

Meant to ask earlier -- are flaws acceptable / allowed, or no? Was thinking of giving my boy an addiction, though its not necessary.

isambard

They're optional. Gave mine an addiction to nicotine though. Y'know. Just to separate the character from every other fictional detective ever.

Latooni Subota

A chainsmoking detective? Mein gott, isambard, you're a genius! Writers will be copying you for years!

isambard

Well, y'know... -shuffles feet- I just have the odd good idea, I guess.

GloomCookie

Go ahead and post your characters here in this thread since we seem to have 4 already, and I'll sift through them to see if we have good mixes.  Once we're done we can go ahead and move on to the actual gameplay.
My DeviantArt

isambard

Latooni Subota

Well, unless anyone objects, I'm going with CSI.

Mental/Social/Physical, leaning towards higher dots in Medicine, Science, and other useful support-y skill. Sheet will be up sometime today.

Edit: Can we use the wiki for merits? Things like Tolerance for Biology and Trained Observer would be great my character.

Starlequin

Bloody Rose

I need to know what you guys have and what you guys need so I can make my character.

isambard

Well, the 'sheets up so far account for the detective and undercover cop, and the CSI is claimed. I know SWAT's out, but I assume most any of the other desks would be available. Well, within the confines of 'murder mystery', anyway.

Bloody Rose

mmm how about a surviving victim? the one that alerted the police. Or a computer expert

Starlequin

I dunno; it looked like Linna was pretty clear in the OP that he only wanted police, not civilians. We could still use a beat cop, or vice, or maybe a hostage negotiator or even Internal Affairs.