[Interest Check] The Maid RPG

Started by Wintercat, May 04, 2011, 12:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintercat

First of, the idea of this game is to be fun, chaotic, enthusiastically charged and full of little weirdness. With that goal in mind, I suggest taking Maid RPG to the stage here.

What is Maid RPG ?

Maid RPG is a japanese roleplaying game that has been translated and its three japanese volumes compiled into one English book carrying the name Maid RPG. Its pretty cheap but I don't expect people to need to actually buy the book, if they have questions I'll try my best to answer them, and guide the folks through the character creation.

The main focus of the game is gaining Favor, having fun, and enjoying the absurd, funny world of Maids. Whether its a Ninja-Neko-Cyborg Maid, or a bishounen man (who has a secret, he's actually a woman) working as the family Butler, to Vampires, Witches, Demons and Angels, a myriad of strange things and people can be present and worth a laugh.

The game is normally run with the Storyteller playing the 'Master' (who can be male or female just as well) but I think if there was a clear interest for someone to play a master and others playing the Maids, then it can be considered, the rules make it a definite possibility too. The Master is purposefully 'weak' though, dependant on the maids help to get things usually done, though in possession of great power that makes them a person worth being a Master. Using those powers, they can change things a lot, but if they use them all up, they lose their right to be a Master.

Anyhow, wanting to see if there is interest for this, if there is, I would be happy to run it and try to help out with things. For those who would want the book themselves, Google it. The site that sells it isn't that hard to find, its name is pretty appropriate for the RPG system.

There has already been 1 Maid RPG game here, that seems to have paused for now.

I think it provides an example, and shows a few rules in use, while leaving some others out of use. I enjoyed reading it and wonder what a new group could do.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

fallensaviour

is there room for a butler, and if so DIBS

Wintercat

I think that having a Butler is just fine, and a welcome character to have along. Do you have a copy of the book or would you need help with character creation?

I do think though that we need some maids in order to play in the game, they are the namesake of the game afterall, and the most powerful people in the game usually.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

I would call spot for master. I do not mind be 'weak' mechanically expect when I use the great power (which has limited use I presume) which is able to make big changes. Or as a second second butler. Oh better! How sounds masters personal driver? Butler can be person working inside the house and overall be leading male servant while driver is the general handyman/errand guy and personal driver for the master (altough most animes/manga indicate butler often are personal drivers as well).

Anycase do not own/have the book.

fallensaviour

Wintercat

@fallensaviour:
Glad to hear you have the book at your disposal, it ought to help out with things. I am looking forward to getting this on the run, but it would require some Maids to keep the game interesting. If we dont get the interest of any maids, the game would end up boring the good people I am afraid.

@Zaer Darkwail:
Well having either a Master or a second male servant would be welcome. I think it would also give the maids (assuming we draw interest for those positions) more people to interact with and pull favor from. Given how random events rules ought to be in use though, it should permit for interesting scenario to all. About the question of the Master's strength, yes Master usually has a superior power of some sort, two actually at the start of the game, they may be same kind, or different in kind, but when they are used, they are gone. Master that spends their last, is no longer fit to be a Master. However, the rules for Master state they gain new powers on occasions. Plus these powers are usually pretty absurd in power, Deus Ex Machina of a sort.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, well I would like play as master then if no one minds :). So two powers which both are once per time use. But what you mean them being same kind or different?

minerva7790

This sounds interesting. Not familiar with the book itself, though the concept of maids always excites me! ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

ExisD

I'd like to join in this, ran a game of this before and it was a ton of fun. I'd be playing as a maid seeing as the other positions are taken.

Wintercat

@Zaer Darkwail:
The Master has, in general, 2 powers when the game starts (if the rules for a Master to be playable are in use, normally its a Storyteller role) and can use one of these at any time. The effects can be the most game-changing ones of all, but the master has limited amount of this power. S/He can spend the rest of the power at any time too, expending the second use, but after that they are no longer fit to be a master. If they wait, though, I think it should be something along the lines of 'one per episode' or such if comparing to Anime, they may gain a new power, which may be the same they used to have, or something new.

Examples would include Magic, Technology, Wealth, Influence... say, the Master is feeling stressful about those knights trying to attack his mansion and the princess-in-exile turned into a Maid in his protection, and he invokes his Magic power. The land under the knights suddenly cracks and they fall down a deep ravine, splashing to an underground river carrying them away as the Master laughs, but feels the physical tiredness for having gone and used that powerful eldritch power in him. Now he still has his 'Wealth' power left, but he doesn't use it, not in that episode. Later on, he gets a new power, and he can choose whether to take a new bit of 'Magic' or maybe a second 'Wealth'... or maybe he's got some fear and respect going on, so 'Influence' or such. All purely in thought phase still.

@minerva7790:
Welcome along, the game is mostly centered on the Maids as the game's name suggests, and the hijinks they may get into. Given how the game is very Anime-Inspired in its making, I think it could provide folks with a lot of laughs and fun. Glad to have you around.

@ExisD:
Welcome along, and hope you will find a game fun here as well. I think there's a nice number of people present by now, I might take up playing a Maid as well then.

The character creation is different for Maids and Butlers, as well as Masters. Fallensaviour, would you offer a helping hand to Zaer Darkwail about playing a master perhaps? I'll give the general rules about making a maid here first, I can post the basic character creation rules for them too later I imagine.

Maid Creation
Step 1: Attributes

Roll 2d6 and divide by 3 (rounding down) for each of the six abilities below.
Athletics (Physical actions, combat)
Affection (Ability to bond with Master and Others)
Skill (Your ability to perform as a Maid)
Cunning (Tricking and Deceiving Master and others)
Luck (How lucky are you)
Will (How positive you can be)

Step 2: Maid Types
Roll 1d6 twice, to determine type of Maid you are. You may get same result twice.
1 = Lolita, 2 = Sexy, 3 = Pure, 4 = Cool, 5 = Boyish, 6 = Heroine.
All of these give one ability +1 and another -1. Also, for sake of clarity, I think we shiould have it clear that Lolita is appearance or personality type, character may well be even hundreds of years old vampire already, or a petite adult woman that has the (un)lucky fate of appearing like someone who cuts it close.

Step 3: Maid Colors
Roll d66 (Roll 2 dice, and designate first as 10s and the second as 1s. Result is something between 11 to 66) twice, for the two colors that make up the Maid's colors. Can also be rolled if you want to randomly choose the Maid's hair & eye colors.

Step 4: Maid Qualities
Maids get 2 qualities (the rules permit having even more but for a starting game I think that 2 qualities would be best) by rolling d66 for each.
Rolls of 41 - 66 have to roll an additional d6 to determine the result on a 'subtable'.

Step 5: Etcetera
Roll 1d66 for Maid Roots (background) and Stress Explosion (What happens when they are too stressed). This also includes things like Trauma tables, and Maid Weapon table. I think we should steer away from too much Drama (just my opinion, people are free to suggest otherwise if they wish) and use the Maid Weapons table. So, 3 rolls, for Maid Roots, Stress Explosion, and Maid Weapon.

Step 6: Maid Power
Based on your highest attribute. You roll d6, and the Storyteller looks up the appropriate power for that roll. If your total of all your attributes is 9 or less, you can roll a second Maid Power. In case of a tie for the highest attribute, choose which attribute's table you want the roll to take place in before rolling.

Step 7: Favor and Spirit
Your starting Favor is equal to your Affection, times two. Favor is this game's 'currency' for causing random events, for improving your abilities, and your ability to resist being thrown out. If your Favor drops to 0, you will be fired, or have to drop an attribute to get half the cost of improving that attribute in Favor, basically losing ability in exchange for some Favor to remain.
Your Spirit is equal to your Will score, times ten. Spirit is important, its how long you can resist some embarrassing things and such before you succumb to a Stress Explosion.

Step 8: Name and Age.

I also think the players should have the right to request a reroll on something they dont feel makes sense or that they are against. In this case, lets say for example we use 2 rerolls that you can use or leave unused, as you see fit.

Alright, there's the start, lets show you an example.

Athletics: 3 (Rolls of 6 & 3, divided by 3 (rounding down))
Affection: 2 (... 2 & 5)
Skill: 3 (... 6 & 3)
Cunning: 2 (... 1 & 6)
Luck: 3 (... 6 & 4)
Will: 3 (... 4 & 5)

Maid Type: Sexy & Pure (...2 & 3) - Interesting combination. The Maid is sexy sight, but maidenly and seems a little clueless about her looks maybe) Sexy gives +1 Cunning, -1 Will. Pure gives +1 Affection -1 Cunning. So total modification is -1 Will, +1 Affection. The cunning bonus and penalty negated one another.

Maid Colors: Brown (5 & 1) & Metallic (5 & 6) are the uniform colors. Hmm, earthly brown with a bit of a metallic to the outfit. In this case, I think I want a reroll. (4 & 4) So, White. Rerolling the Metallic, I am now left with Brown & White maid uniform. That doesn't sound bad.

I'll also roll for hair & eye color just for the heck of it. (2 & 5) So the character has Navy Blue hair, quite exotic I'll say, or perhaps a dye. (4 & 5) Grey eyes. Oi, something a bit mysterious about this maid already.

Maid Qualities: Rolling (6 & 3) first, this means the maid's ability is Shapeshifter, but requires a reroll on a subtable. Roll 6 on the subtable indicates a Snake. So, this maid's first quality is that she's a shapeshifter able to shift her body to that of a large snake. Scary enough, but we still got the other roll to make for the other quality. (3 & 6) Amusingly, a mirror of the first roll, 36 is Angel/Devil. I can't really imagine an Angelic snake, so the character is then a Devilish woman that has the ability to turn her body into a large snake. Yikes! Her master better not anger her too much, and her jokes about 'swallowing' may be more creepy than funny sometimes. At least she is just joking.

Maid Roots: Roll (4 & 2) indicates Business. This maid is in the line of work for the money, not very exotic or anything, but at least there's something a bit ordinary about her. Perhaps it just means she needs to be warmed up to other reasons.

Stress Explosion: Roll (2 & 5) indicates Teasing. Uh-oh. If the stress gets too bad, this maid starts teasing other maids and torments them with her attention until the stress explosion has passed.

Maid Weapon: Roll (1 & 2) Stun-Gun. For a devil, she is pretty practical. If she has to fight, she'll jab someone in the ribs with a stungun huh? I kind of like her style.

Maid Power: The maid has many abilities at equal levels, so I decide to just use Luck, she is more lucky than anything in my eyes as a concept. So, rolling 1d6 I get (1) so the ability she has is Karma. Using Luck to Dodge an attack, and if she rolls 10 or more she can cause TWICE as much Stress on her opponent. Ohh, I like this, its this Devilish woman's amusing ability, "Avenged Sevenfold" I decide to name it for a laugh.

Lastly, I decide the maid's name is Luciana, and she is 29.

Now for a background, Lets see.

Luciana is a young devilish woman, with small horns and a slender devil tail. She is usually seen in her mostly brown maid uniform with a white apron around her, her blue hair flowing down on her shoulders. Her grey eyes show a fair bit of sweet purity that would be more at home in an angel than a devil, but her devil side has given her an ample bosom  that often teases the eyes of those she curtseys to, often wondering what's the cause of their seeming embarrassment afterwards. She is a kind hearted person but she works for the money, its just the way it is for her.

She seems to have a weird luck about her, any malice against her risks causing bad luck to whoever tried to attack her, and if she gets into trouble she pulls out a stungun to shock whoever has pushed her into a corner. Her kind nature is a way to protect others though, when she is too stressed out it cracks and a more devilish side shows up, ready to bend a fellow maid over the knees and spank them for causing her trouble, or to yank the butler's otherwise fine outfit's tie off of his neck to let the stiffy guy look a bit less sophisticated for once.

That's just an example, but if someone wants to do the rolls, I'll gladly give them the laydown of what they got by the dice's opinion.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

Wintercat, can you PM me creation rules for Master? Anycase maid creation rules look fun :).

Zaer Darkwail

Well, out of fun I rolled maid stuff. So inform what I got with my rolls (powers, colors etc wise) :P.

Name:
Colors: Rolled 52 and 54 for uniform, 23 for eyes, 54 for hair
Maid Qualities: Rolled 54 (6 in subtable) and 31
Maid Roots: rolled 64
Stress Explosion: Rolled 44
Weapon: rolled 56
Maid Power: Rolled two, one for cunning and one for athletics (as had 9 and less overall attributes) Rolled 5 for cunning, rolled 1 for athletics
Favor: 2
Spirit: 10

Attributes
Athletics 2
Affection 1
Skill 1
Cunning 3
Lucky 1
Will 1

ExisD

Well let's see what I manage to pull.... wow that managed to make a startling amount of sense, sort of... 

Name: Lydia
Maid type: Cool and Boyish [these fit in easily enough with each other... though if only my costume could be a suit]
Colors: A navy dress with blood red frills. Metallic hair with golden eyes.
Maid Qualities: Criminal Tendencies(Killer) and Tragic Love(Stalker Damage) [Er, well also kind of makes sense... she was broken then started breaking people]
Maid Roots: Revenge[fits in with the above]
Stress Explosion: Violence            [also fits well]
Weapon: Western Sword                 [ohh,a big sword is fun]
Maid Power: Giant Weapon             [and an even bigger sword]
Favor: 0
Spirit: 30

Attributes
Athletics 4
Affection 0
Skill 2
Cunning 1
Lucky 2
Will 3

Back story:
Lydia used to be a maid in service to the throne when one of the royal wizards got a liking for her. They in particular had given her many problems before. They abducted her for nights at a time, but the weak maid could not fight back. This was was different though; he wanted a perfect slave: loyal, sexy, and able to destroy his enemies. Unfortunately for him, he only succeeded at two aspects.

Now powerful enough to act on her desires Lydia killed the man and vowed revenge on all wizards. She decided to start at the head and work her way down from there, offing minor mages along the way.

Wintercat

My apologies, Zaer, been caught up here. Anyhow, going to give the directions for making a Master soon, but making that Maid from your stats to see what she is like then.

Name:
Maid type: Pure (Affection +1, Cunning -1) & Cool (Skill +1, Affection -1) (Totals: +1 Skill, -1 Cunning)
Colors: Navy Blue & Grey Uniform, Green eyes, Grey hair
Maid Qualities: Tragic Love: Victim of a Stalker (You cant trust members of the opposite sex... or maybe the same sex?) and Elf Ears. (Japanese style, so fairly long ones I imagine)
Maid Roots: Bridal Training: You work as a maid to become an Ideal Bride one day.
Stress Explosion: Crying
Weapon: Halberd or some kind of Polearm
Maid Power: Fake Crying (You can roll Cunning for what would normally be an Affection Roll) (This must be roleplayed) and Super Evasion (In exchange for 1d6 Stress Damage, you completely avoid a single attack)
Favor: 2
Spirit: 10

Attributes
Athletics 2
Affection 1
Skill 2
Cunning 2
Lucky 1
Will 1

Moving on to Master Rules, but also seeing I have ExisD's maid to look through.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

Heh, quite fun maid I got up :). But consider she's elf and gray hair does not suit them. So would likely re-roll or decide it's same color as her eyes. Pure and Cool bribe to be with halberd and able make fake cries who has a stalker :P.

Anycase waiting master stats for now.

Wintercat

Alright, then,
Master Creation Rules
Master's Gender, Name, and Dress are upto the GM/player to decide.
The master has no Favor points, but serving him will grant others Favor.
The master has power to give absolute orders to maids, headmaids, and butlers in his service. (We are not employing headmaid rules in this if I can help it, sorry.)

Step 1: Master Type
Roll of a 1d6 determines this, but I'll list out the options. (Mainly because I figure a roll of 1 should be immediately rerolled, and later cases age Decided not rolled. Actually, it might be wisest to decide this instead of rolling at all.)
1= Small Child (Age 2d6)
2= Legitimate Child (Age 5+2d6) [The Master is still a child. He's just starting to understand his Power]
3= Layman (8+2d6) [Master is an Ordinary Person who came into wealth by chance]
4= Natural Born (12+2d6) [The Master is a young man or woman, and probably learned certain things wrong and has some twisted ideas]
5= Aristocrat (1d66) [The Master was born to be the Master of the House, regardless of age he has excellent self-control.]
6= Recluse (1d66+10) [The Master has already put an end to his dealings with the outside world, and adopted a secluded lifestyle.]

Step 2: Master Special Qualities
Roll 1d66 Twice. (Optionally roll Trauma Table with same dice, might make things interesting, but personally see it better left out from first tries)

Step 3: Master Power Source
Roll 2d6 twice, if you roll the same result twice you have two different forms of the same power source.

Step 4: Favorite Maid Type
Roll 1d6 from the Maid Type table. Determines the type of Maid the Master particularily Likes. (Lolita, Sexy, Pure, Cool, Boyish, Heroine)

Step 5: Stress Explosion
Roll d66 from the Stress Explosion table (As in, same table as the maids.)

Step 6: Master Colors
Roll d66 for Master Hair and Eye Colors. (Or decide) Master can change outfits freely, so rolling for their colors is not important.

Step 7: Attributes
Roll 2d6 and Divide by 4 (Round Down) for all Attributes, except Will.
Will is 2 (Spirit is 20).

Step 8: Finishing Touches
Apply name and gender at this stage.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, here comes my master.
Name: Lord Adrian Foxley
Type: Aristocrat
Special Qualities: Magician and Royalty
Power Sources:
-Political Power (As a Leader of an Organization you have the power to command many people)
-Mansion (The true value lies not in you yourself, but in the mansion where you live. Perhaps some unimaginable technology or wealth sleeps there.)
Favorite maid Type: Pure
Stress Explosion:
-Racing: You get into whatever car/vehicle is handy and go for a drive at at least twice the speed limit.
Spirit: 20

Attributes
Athletics 2
Affection 2
Skill 1
Cunning 2
Lucky 1
Will 2

Biography: Lord Adrian Foxley is 25 years old but he has very early in his life become master of his family mansion. He is head of royal wizard council, heritaged from his father. despite young age he is quite powerful magician for his age and mansion itself works as font of power to empower his magics. But because of the mansion many his rivals in council or other ambittious noble families seek take mansion away from him. He has lived in courts and council for many years and he had learned appreciate any genuine purity in his maids. But while stressed he takes his magic tech fastest car in mansion carage and drives off, daredevil with his own life in driving in his family owned lands.

Wintercat

Special Qualities (Also, Master has no subtables in these):
-Undead (Despite your rotting body, you live on. This can be a mummy, zombie, lich, etc) <--- I might suggest using one of the rerolls.
-Magician (You wield Sorcerous powers, in the manner of a typical fantasy wizard)

Power Sources:
-Political Power (As a Leader of an Organization you have the power to command many people)
-Mansion (The true value lies not in you yourself, but in the mansion where you live. Perhaps some unimaginable technology or wealth sleeps there.)

Stress Explosion:
-Racing: You get into whatever car/vehicle is handy and go for a drive at at least twice the speed limit.
A&A

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, could undead be vampire? I would love play as vampire master who is renown magician who runs a vampire clan (a organization) and his mansion is itself magical font of great magical powers (imbued over the years). Stressed he goes night time wild ride with his black porsche :P.

But if vampire is sepparated choice in the roll then my re-roll for special quality is 13.

fallensaviour

Name:Lionel Finn
Buttler type:Elite (cunning +1) partner(affection+1)
Colors: Eye: orange  Suit: Black Hair: gold
Buttler Qualities:  Misshapen Body Some part of your body has suffered damage or is otherwise abnormal. You might have one arm, a strangely bent arm, or otherwise be misshapen  Burns: Your face, body, etc. are covered with painful-looking scars from burns.
Buttler Roots: Loyalty He serves the mansion as a shield, and his loyalty is absolute. He will do anything
for the master of the house, even at the cost of his own life.
Stress Explosion: na
Weapon:  Internal You have some kind of weapons installed in your body  Exotic A boomerang, qatar, African throwing irons, etc.
Buttler Power:Intrigue This butler can make rolls to resist the actions of maids, but only when the Master isn’t there to see. Twisted
Love: Because of your twisted love for the Master, every time you gain Favor from the Master, you also reduce your
Stress by the same amount.
Favor: 6
Spirit:  100

Attributes
Athletics 1
Affection 3
Skill 2
Cunning 3
Lucky 1
Will 10

Wintercat

Vampire is a separate choice on the list of options, though if you preferred to choose that one for the sake of game spirit I think it could be acceptable, the main point is to have fun not to be a slave to the dice, their place is to handle conflicts anyway.

But the roll of 13 then.

-Royalty: You're among the heads of a country or organization, and as a result your life is often put in danger.

That'd explain the tougher-than-your-average-girl maids then. Plus the Butler.
A&A

fallensaviour

i'm thinking cyborg butler...possibly formar military then rebuilt by the master or something?

Zaer Darkwail

Rofl, that sounds quite good also :). He is headsman in royal family when his father passed away.

Indeed, my butler looks kind of tough; burned probably save master from vicious spell by taking hit for him perhaps?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: fallensaviour on May 05, 2011, 05:34:51 PM
i'm thinking cyborg butler...possibly formar military then rebuilt by the master or something?

Possible, if you want cyborg butler which has roasted skin on surface and orange eyes and blond hair with implented exotic weapon then go for it :).

Wintercat

The characters look very cool, we now have a Master, a Butler, and a seriously scary Maid.

Don't know if there's much romance spawning from the current characters that easily but a lot of fun should be ahead I think.

Anyhow, need to put the Mansion together at some point, I'm personally thinking of using Contemporary Light setting for the game and trying to put the Mansion to match that, a Palatial Residence. Beyond that, I am considering either letting the dice decide or asking what the players would like to see.

If you want to make changes on the 'Contemporary Light' options as well, or the Palatial Residence, do bring them up as said the game is supposed to be about Fun, ultimately.

"O-o-ORANGE-KUN!?"

Ironic, thinking about our Master's image.
A&A