My Kingdom for a New Video Game!

Started by Inkidu, August 01, 2010, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

If I had one.

It really seems like late summer has been a real dry-spell as for tittles of worthy worthiness. All the games I want have been pushed up or planned for autumn. I was hoping to tide myself with Dead Rising 2 but it's been delayed.

Anyone else feeling the strain of no game?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Sigh..nothing good is coming out until September..when Reach and FFXIV come out. o-o...Then it's like a Shotgun blast to your wallet. D:

Kunoichi

Well, you can always look into old games that you didn't have the chance to try when they came out...

Just recently I got Ghostbusters: the Videogame for an excellent price, for example.

HairyHeretic

What sort of game you looking for? We might be able to toss a few suggestions your way.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wolfy

MasterMischief

I have really strayed away from video games.  Part of me thinks that is a good thing and part of me misses blissfully wasting the hours away.

I like Plants vs. Zombies.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 01, 2010, 05:02:51 PM
What sort of game you looking for? We might be able to toss a few suggestions your way.
That's kind of hard to say, but I would have liked a new, non-Japanese (In style not nationality. Dead Rising is Japanese but God do they know how to pander to us Westerners) RPG I think.

Wolfy, I was thinking more along the lines of Fallout: New Vegas and Fable 3 being my Autumn picks. Both Halo and MMOs have really no appeal to me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Still waffling on FO and Fable III (which version of each to get, ect)

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 02, 2010, 06:47:53 PM
Still waffling on FO and Fable III (which version of each to get, ect)
Not I; I'm going 360.

Remiel

I assume you're speaking about console games?  Because if you have a decent PC, then this.

Inkidu

Quote from: Remiel on August 02, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
I assume you're speaking about console games?  Because if you have a decent PC, then this.
Nope, I'm not buying into Blizzard's new apparent taste for greed. I'm not paying 180 dollars and tax to play each single-player campaign of Star Craft 2 and Multiplayer is not an option because A. I can support it and B. I'm never going to beat South Korea.

EDIT: There is another reason. I'm kind of not liking PC anymore. It's becoming an obviously inferior platform to game on from a financial point of view but I had a lot of angst against Blizzard.

Geeklet

Quote from: Inkidu on August 02, 2010, 07:27:52 PM
Nope, I'm not buying into Blizzard's new apparent taste for greed. I'm not paying 180 dollars and tax to play each single-player campaign of Star Craft 2...

At first, I thought the same thing. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought it. So far, it seems like there is enough content to justify the $60 price tag. Whether the rest of the series can live up to this standard has yet to be seen, but so far, I'm liking it.

Swashbuckler

If you have not played it, and are looking for a decent RPG with a relatively low price since it has been out a few months, I might suggest picking up Dragon Age.    I picked it up pretty cheap, and really enjoyed it.    If you are looking for a sc-fi style, and agian haven't played it and cost is an option, I would go for Mass Effect and/or Mass Effect 2.     All of these are good, and available for ALL platforms.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on August 03, 2010, 08:12:01 AM
At first, I thought the same thing. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought it. So far, it seems like there is enough content to justify the $60 price tag. Whether the rest of the series can live up to this standard has yet to be seen, but so far, I'm liking it.
I doubt I would enjoy it. I'm not a big enough Star Craft fan buy a new sixty dollar game for every campaign. I just don't think they can give a single campaign of an RTS enough single-player content to justify it. I think it boils down to:

60 dollar game
30 dollar expansion
30 dollar expansion

equals 120 dollars over the 180 they get if they do what they do now.

Swashbuckler: Sorry, I've already got and or played all those.

Oniya

Typically, when I'm between games (not likely to happen any time soon, but that's due to time constraints on my end), I'll take an old game and try crazy shit like speed runs, or no-upgrade runs, or single-character runs.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on August 03, 2010, 11:22:19 AM
Typically, when I'm between games (not likely to happen any time soon, but that's due to time constraints on my end), I'll take an old game and try crazy shit like speed runs, or no-upgrade runs, or single-character runs.
D: Oniya! You said shit, I don't think I've every read anything where you said shit.

That kind of has limited appeal for me. I rarely get any reward for doing it and then some South Korean ten-year-old does it in half the time or with one less necessary upgrade.

Oniya

:-X *goes to fetch the bar of soap...*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

I keep saying you should get Transformers...o3o

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 11:33:43 AM
I keep saying you should get Transformers...o3o
I like Transformers but I hear it's really multiplayer focused and I'm kind of looking for stuff on the cheap and Transformers just hit shelves... though I do have a birthday this month. I'm saving up my money for the Fall, Christmas, and Spring blitzkrieg. Plus I'm working on getting a HD TV so I can finally get rid of my CRT thing from like 98.

Geeklet

Well, the one single player campaign, from what I can tell so far, is about as long as the three campaigns from the original. The one campaign also has units and upgrades that you won't see in multiplayer. And there are also challenges and other things I have yet to explore, since I've only had the game for a few days.

I've got a couple guest passes that came with the game which I am likely never to use. If you wanted to try it out at least, I could give you one.

Wolfy

Well Ink..you could get Fallout: game of the Year Edition for..20 dollars, I think..full game Plus the add-ons.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on August 03, 2010, 11:56:42 AM
Well, the one single player campaign, from what I can tell so far, is about as long as the three campaigns from the original. The one campaign also has units and upgrades that you won't see in multiplayer. And there are also challenges and other things I have yet to explore, since I've only had the game for a few days.

I've got a couple guest passes that came with the game which I am likely never to use. If you wanted to try it out at least, I could give you one.
I can't download it. Making the campaign longer doesn't mean it's going to get better. RTS's are kind of limited in what you can do per mission. It's just the nature. A lot of RTS is just the strategy of using units and structures. Challenges don't really add that much for me either because they're usually a result of boredom with the rest of the game.

Plus even if I like it I'd still have to shuffle off to buy 120 dollars in non-refundable/trade software.

Honestly it's kind of petty of me but I hope Blizzard gets a karma potato in the tailpipe.

Inkidu

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 01, 2010, 04:18:30 PM
Well, you can always look into old games that you didn't have the chance to try when they came out...

Just recently I got Ghostbusters: the Videogame for an excellent price, for example.
Sorry, I missed you while I was on my soapbox. XD
Ghostbusters is a good game but I already have it and have beaten it on the hardest difficulty.

Wolfy

They already did..when they tried the whole "Real ID on forums" thing that would force you to use your REAL NAME on their forums....that..kind of backfired...A LOT.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 05:28:57 PM
They already did..when they tried the whole "Real ID on forums" thing that would force you to use your REAL NAME on their forums....that..kind of backfired...A LOT.
I just don't see where Blizzard gets the collective cajones to make people wait more than a decade for a sequel and then make them pay what 180 dollars for all three parts. Still, this isn't my thread to harp on Blizzard. I'm trying to find a new game on the cheap so I don't just die of boredom.

I am playing a bit of Rise of Nations but how man times can you totally crush Kim Il Sun in the Inchon Offensive before that gets dull again?